• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
yeah, I don't expect any surprise AA7 reveals myself, I feel these next few months are TGAA time to shine for the franchise, not for another entry to take the spotlight.
Not sure if Nintendo tweeting about the game means they won't show it tomorrow outside of maybe a reel of upcoming Switch games, but thought it was worth sharing at least.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna say that I think tomorrow is the biggest (and maybe only) chance we got. The last character is almost always something either disappointing or first party (or both)
I don't know if Phoenix is big enough to count as E3-tier in terms of popularity, but I don't think he's small enough to count as Last Reveal-tier either....

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I'm nervous... either all dreams come true today or... the miracle never happen. We'll see. I think if Phoenix is a fighter, his reveal makes the most sense at the end of the presentation with one last "Objection"– I don't think they would reveal him at the very start of the presentation.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Yeah I don't understand why people thought they would announce AA7 at E3 when The Great Ace Attorney is releasing next month. It just feels too soon.

I'm expecting Crash at the Nintendo Direct today, but I honestly would rather get Phoenix or Heavy instead. (Not that I don't want Crash, I just like Phoenix and Heavy more)

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
I always thought it was weird how Smash Bros prioritized Heihachi when it came to Tekken, this is much more fair.
Also this makes Mii Costumes near meaningless at this point, the whole "if they were to add a Namco/Tekken character they would've packed the costume with them" argument used to make sense but it's clearly not valid anymore
Which means the Capcom costumes from last time doesn't really change anything for Capcom characters' chances ; )

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm ok with Kazuya, not really a character that interests me, but it's a choice I can respect 100%. And I guess Phoenix still has nothing for or against him atm other than only 1 slot left. Actually, puttin asides Ken as he's considered an echo, Capcom is the only 3rd party present in Sm4sh that had no newcomers now, right? Not to say that means they're sure to close the FP, but it's a thing to keep in mind.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eh, I liked it a million times better than the reveal of Byleth or Pyra, probably more than stuff like Incineroar and Steve too (although those were still pretty good), and the volcano gag got a chuckle out of me.

Caladuz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I don't understand why people thought they would announce AA7 at E3 when The Great Ace Attorney is releasing next month.
I'm not following, isn't announcing a remake (close to or at the same time as the next installment) to hold fans over, a normal practice? Just from the top of my head, in recent memory, we have; Rune Factory 4 Special/RF5, SMT 3 Remaster/SMT 5, Mass Effect Trilogy/ME4.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me or was that reveal really lame? it felt so rushed I barely had time to read the name and tagline of the new character
I dunno, I like reveals that are short, quick and concise much, much better than the ones that just drag on forever and are incredibly boring and have a metric ton of dialogue like the Pyra and Byleth ones
After last time, I appreciate a reveal with this style

Ny0kazer

Smash Apprentice
You know....if they give him a blue suited variant. We could consider that a win.
Y'know, thinking about it, maybe this might not be too good for us. Would this matter at all?
Also, the Kirby hat is probably gonna have Kazuya's hair. Would this mean that Phoenix's Kirby hat would be too similar, since it would probably be Phoenix's hair? They would be kinda difficult to tell apart from a first glance.
Maybe I'm just thinking too hard.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I'm not following, isn't announcing a remake (close to or at the same time as the next installment) to hold fans over, a normal practice? Just from the top of my head, in recent memory, we have; Rune Factory 4 Special/RF5, SMT 3 Remaster/SMT 5, Mass Effect Trilogy/ME4.
I don't really see Capcom doing that for Ace Attorney, honestly. I'm kinda glad AA7 didn't get announced so it doesn't overshadow The Great Ace Attorney, but I'm still hoping AA7 will get revealed later this year.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Y'know, thinking about it, maybe this might not be too good for us. Would this matter at all?
Also, the Kirby hat is probably gonna have Kazuya's hair. Would this mean that Phoenix's Kirby hat would be too similar, since it would probably be Phoenix's hair? They would be kinda difficult to tell apart from a first glance.
overthinking for evidence against Phoenix I feel, the only that changed so far is that we only have 1 slot left.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I think that's it for Ace Attorney regarding Ultimate chances. It's a bummer that a classic game series so closely associated with the DS and 3DS has completely nothing in Smash. Here's hoping there's a Great Ace Attorney spirit event?

In any case, we still got GAA coming next month, and AA7 is looking like a possible Tokyo Game Show title. Things are looking a lot better for AA than they have in recent years. :)

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
I feel like they would have wildly different silhouettes to not really matter - Phoenix is tall, lanky, and a bit awkward while Kazuya is a buff fighter. I'm not sure Sakurai would pass up on a unique character just because they share basic similarities with someone's alternate costume.

Last edited:

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
One slot left...
Who could be it? Probably someone first party, imo. Maybe a Pokémon...

I think it's still technically possible a Fighters Pass 3 happens, or even just individual characters, but until anything's confirmed, I'm assuming this is it

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'm probably reading too much into lines, but the way this tweet was written just makes me think that, at least for some good time, fighter pass 11 will be the end of additional content for Ultimate.
challenger pack 11 instead of the usual "and there will be no further new fighter announcements"

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm probably reading too much into lines, but the way this tweet was written just makes me think that, at least for some good time, fighter pass 11 will be the end of additional content for Ultimate.
challenger pack 11 instead of the usual "and there will be no further new fighter announcements"
Hmmm. It doesn't rule out a surprise FP3 announcement.

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Maybe im being too optimistic, but it... kinda makes me think the opposite? As in, "we're not talking about character 11 but we ARE announcing something else new..." or something....

Like, maybe they can't say "and there will be no further new fighter announcements" because there ARE gonna be further new fighter announcements (or something related to that), just not CP11 specifically...

Or not, who knows

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't count Phoenix out just yet but I also wouldn't expect him. This has just further proved that we can't assume things with their choices. Many counted Tekken out after the Heihachi mii costume. Only one spot is concerning with the amount of possibilities though. Odds aren't really in our favor

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I think that's it for Ace Attorney regarding Ultimate chances. It's a bummer that a classic game series so closely associated with the DS and 3DS has completely nothing in Smash. Here's hoping there's a Great Ace Attorney spirit event?

In any case, we still got GAA coming next month, and AA7 is looking like a possible Tokyo Game Show title. Things are looking a lot better for AA than they have in recent years. :)
This is a big reason why I think it'd be extremely unfair if Danganronpa or Famicom Detective Club got in over Ace Attorney. The former JUST got ported and the latter was both dead and un-localized for 30 years.

Anyway, for four big reasons, today's reveal actually helps Phoenix a ton!

• Mii costumes from one's company, let along their series, doesn't deconfirm a character anymore. So any fears that the Capcom costumes from last wave would hurt Phoenix's chances are now gone.
  • Huge characters have been filtered out. While there's a theory that our "Banjo" of this E3 was delayed due to the pandemic, this may not happen and we could get a smaller character for the final slot. This filters out Dante and Chun-Li, Phoenix's biggest obstacles.
  • Namco killed the "Only companies that got characters in FP1 will get them in FP2" theory, meaning that Capcom COULD have a character in this pass.
  • We just got a big fighting game character, so I don't think we'll get another in the next slot. That further kills Chunners.

He doesn't have the same baggage as his competition, and with the Ace Attorney series getting attention this year I think Phoenix is in a surprisingly good spot!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Maybe maybe maybe maybe...

TBH he kind of resembles a young Manfred Von Karma (is much closer in personality to him too).

I won't deny the similarities though.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom