• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKE THAT! Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney smashes the prosecution!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so this isn't an 100% accurate measure as both franchises have delved into other mediums, but since they're primarily videogames, I measure their size based on known sales. As of March of this year AA has moved about 7.5 million copies, meanwhile Layton by 2013 already sold 15 millions, with likely higher number by now, if I knew the total sales of the crossover you could cross that out from either franchise, but I doubt that'd make a difference on which resulted more prolific. I don't bring this up as something that speaks on either chances over the other or that Layton should be more requested, but given that both series are pretty similar given their story focus and being Nintendo exclusive for a good majority of the last 15-ish years, I just found it on the odd side that Phoenix was considerably ahead from Layton in SG poll, but then again, it was a small sample all things considered.
stop trying to put layton and nick against each other

Krankees

Smash Ace
I'm really happy right now. The Arms I wanted got in and (he/she, not spoiling for anyone who haven't seen it the presentation) looks really fun to play. I'm very content right now.

Although if Phoenix Wright could be in the pass that'd be really, REALLY nice.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
we knew we weren't getting any new fighters announced outside of the Arms rep, but this presentation just came and went for Phoenix. No possible disconfirmation through a Mii costume, nor one of his "inner competition" getting that fate either, so I guess just watch out for the spirit events that might come out until the next character reveal?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Now that Min Min's been confirmed, Phoenix is moving into my top 5 most wanted! I'm still having fun with DGS although Sherlock has grated on my nerves a few times lol.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
We just wait and see (and dread for the future Spirit Events). Phoenix was such a "figher pass 1" type of character. Now the competition became bigger than ever. But I still remain optimistic. I don't think that of 11 of the DLC spots, Capcom will be left out.

Krankees

Smash Ace
We just wait and see (and dread for the future Spirit Events). Phoenix was such a "figher pass 1" type of character. Now the competition became bigger than ever. But I still remain optimistic. I don't think that of 11 of the DLC spots, Capcom will be left out.
The only character I'm worried about that might affect Phoenix's chances is Dante. Although it would be cool if he got in.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Question: Is there an english ROM for the first Ace Attorney game on GBA?
Probably not, I know someone tried but the english text had too many words which caused the GBA's RAM to crash.
There is no point in making it when the DS version exists anyway (I recommend it over the phone, 3DS and HD versions but you also can play those).

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do find it curious how (according to the subs anyhow), Sakurai guaranteed we are getting at least 5 more fighters as if didn't know that already with the 2nd pass being pre purchaseable and all. The whole 2nd pass being the end of it all was always dubious at best, but I guess that further shows that they only don't have anymore passes planned out so far and not that they're neccesarily ending Ultimates support by the end of that (although 3 years of updates after release is quite long, if not unseen with how fighting games like SF5 and Tekken 7 are more or less platforms by now).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Now that the "spirits can't get in" lunacy is over, I can actually come back in here.

I do find it curious how (according to the subs anyhow), Sakurai guaranteed we are getting at least 5 more fighters as if didn't know that already with the 2nd pass being pre purchaseable and all. The whole 2nd pass being the end of it all was always dubious at best, but I guess that further shows that they only don't have anymore passes planned out so far and not that they're neccesarily ending Ultimates support by the end of that (although 3 years of updates after release is quite long, if not unseen with how fighting games like SF5 and Tekken 7 are more or less platforms by now).
Let's not forget, a while back 16 fighter slots were datamined in WOL's files, so it's possible that the remaining leftover 4 might get filled out at some point. Whether through a third pass or standalone bonus characters, that's what remains to be seen.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Some nice artwork of the characters in restaurant staff outfits, fitting timing for the character we just got.

Awww I really like that. Plus we haven't had Klavier in anything for a while except the promo image for AJ on 3DS.

I hope if Phoenix gets in he has spirits/references to a lot of different AA games and not just the original trilogy.

Krankees

Smash Ace
So how many characters do you guys have left that you want? My two other big wants Shovel Knight and Zero sadly didn't happen but my most recent want, Min Min went pretty good. For me, all that's left is Phoenix.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
So how many characters do you guys have left that you want? My two other big wants Shovel Knight and Zero sadly didn't happen but my most recent want, Min Min went pretty good. For me, all that's left is Phoenix.
Besides Min Min, Phoenix Wright and Shantae are the only ones that i really REALLY want. Also Reiji and Xiaomu from Project X Zone/Namco X Capcom, but they're highly unlikely, so for them it would be a pipedream.
Though, to be honest, i would be totally satisfied with only Phoenix.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do have my wishlist always present on my sig but as a small history of stuff that I wanted in Ultimate:
:ultsnake: returned!
:ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter: on the base roster!
:ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie: got in as DLC!
I'm still cautiosly optimistic on Phoenix, Dante and Doom Slayer, I highly doubt all of them will happen, but at least 1 sounds reasonably possible.
I'm not holding my breath for Sol but I wouldn't entirely cross him out yet.
and at this rate I consider Amaterasu, Crono, Estelle and Kiryu pipe dreams more than anything else, although at least I can picture 2 of those getting some sort of mii outfit due to Sega and Capcom already being present in the game and looking fairly friendly lending their properties for Smash content.
Nakoruru is the only one I'd consider flat out disconfirmed, but at least she got a pretty sweet remix of her theme.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
So, what do you guys think the next game in the series will be anyway that isn't a repackaging of older games?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, what do you guys think the next game in the series will be anyway that isn't a repackaging of older games?
I think it'll be a fresh start, like AJ. Maybe not with such a long timeskip, but with the end of SoJ I think the series definitely needs a cast refresh, there's too many main characters in play right now.

I'd hope that Phoenix stops being the protagonist because they have this mindset that each game needs to keep topping the previous one because of him, but I guess they need to be able to sell him as the protagonist for marketing reasons.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think it'll be a fresh start, like AJ. Maybe not with such a long timeskip, but with the end of SoJ I think the series definitely needs a cast refresh, there's too many main characters in play right now.

I'd hope that Phoenix stops being the protagonist because they have this mindset that each game needs to keep topping the previous one because of him, but I guess they need to be able to sell him as the protagonist for marketing reasons.
At bare minimum, if we don't get any new games for a while, Ace Attorney Investigations and the Great Ace Attorney games need to be localized proper

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I am really enjoying DGS, in my experience it gets more fun as you go along. Case 2 starts off slow but gets better and Case 3 is immediately engaging. I hope some of the mechanics in here are in the next game, whether slightly altered or renamed. I also hope they use the Mood Matrix less, can't stand that mechanic. How about you guys?

Susato Best Girl

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I just want Athena to have her own game. Skip a year and start her as someone with a little experience but needs to go through her own personal journey. Keep the stakes close to home and don't try and do the crazy over the top stakes of SOJ. As long as the characters are strong (and they have plenty from DD case 3 they can bring back) and the story is interesting and personal, it'd be refreshing to dial it back a bit. Plus Athena is my favorite.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'd like a fresh new start that doesn't push Phoenix as a pseudo-lead like AJ did or a game that gives Athena a chance to become more competent, the reality is we'll just get another Wright focused game because that's the safest thing to do.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I am really enjoying DGS, in my experience it gets more fun as you go along. Case 2 starts off slow but gets better and Case 3 is immediately engaging. I hope some of the mechanics in here are in the next game, whether slightly altered or renamed. I also hope they use the Mood Matrix less, can't stand that mechanic. How about you guys?
The multiple witnesses mechanic actually comes from Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright. I like the Jury system, I thought was a neat change of pace. I just have a problem specifically with the Jury in DGS for plot reasons. And Sherlock's Great Deductions are a nice replacement of the Magatama puzzles. The animations, UI and the camera work is amazing and really hooks me on every time one of those deductions is about to happen.
I actually don't mind Mood Matrix, just don't spam it relentlessly on every trial, you can solve it easily if you know what's going on anyway.
The thing I wouldn't miss are Apollo's perceives, those were incredibly boring and didn't need reasoning to be solved, it was basically stopping the game to play "Find Wally".

Susato Best Girl
YES, SOMEONE WHO GETS IT

The wait for DGS2's translation is agonizing, I have read opinions that put it on T&T and AAI2 tier.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace

Susato Best Girl
Case 3 in DGS is one of my favorite cases in the entire series. I will not post any spoilers about it here, but that was the only case from that game that still got me thinking about its plot long after I finished it.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
The creative juices are flowing again. Another Wright moveset concept, albeit only for the specials.

The more Phoenix successfully evades attacks upon contact - from dodges to shields - the spiritual energy gauge of the Magatama goes up. It will display how many many locks the opponent is at near Wright's render.

Neutral Special: Evidence Roulette
Phoenix has three items he can select from. These include:

-The Thinker: a heavy item that slows him down, but upon contact hits fairly hard. At each lock it gets a small boost in damage and knockback per stage.
-Attorney Badge: It’s clean and bright flash causes the opponent to be disabled. It has very short range at nil to 1 Psyche-Lock. Average range at 3 to 5.
-Papers: A multi hit move that slightly stuns but does not do any knockback. At 3+ locks, it’s faster and does more damage.

Side-Special: Speech Bubbles
Phoenix uses his famous catchphrases for different effects! The number of psyche-locks also determine these. These have fairly short range.

0 to 1 psyche-lock: Phoenix shouts “Hold It!”, which stuns the opponent. Good setup for grab/strings.
3 psyche locks: Phoenix shouts “Take That!”, which shocks the opponent and has low to medium knockback.
5 psyche locks: Phoenix shouts “Objection!”, which has high knockback.

Up-Special: Mr. Hat
Trucy Wright spawns and sends in Mr. Hat to swoop him back towards her.

Down-Special: Magatama
Phoenix’s main move for his kit to come together Phoenix uses his Magatama to slowly unravel the truth against the opponent.

Upon using the down special, the locks explode. The opponent must be shielding for it to have any effect. No psyche lock does nothing, 1 does minimal damage to it, 3 does average damage to it, and 5 breaks a shield instantly.

This moveset is to represent the stages Phoenix is at during trial. He starts off at disadvantage, fairly feeble, but the longer you let him succeed against you, the more he’ll punish you for it. It all resets when he is KO'd.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Phoenix always had amazing potential to be the next Palutena or Snake in terms of extra conversations, and these videos do a great job of conveying that!

:ultryu: why does this guy always show up everytime we are invited to something?
:ultganondorf: the evil magistrate!!
:ultgreninja: must be the new pet of the Steel Samurai.
:ultshulk: is that the guy Fiora was talking about all the time?
:ultjoker: hey look he's Mask DeMasque!!
:ulthero3: Phoenix recognizes him and fanboys because it's one of the games he played as a kid.
:ultminmin those burger arms look weird.
:ultgnw: looking at him makes both Nick and Maya break the fourth wall about being 2D sprites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom