• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Tactical Deployment - Roy Q&A Thread

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Do you feel Roy is viable and only in mid-tier due solely because of his lack of representation?
That's a loaded question, tbh. Some people rate Roy as bottom 5, or even worst in the game, which I disagree with. I feel he is rated that low because he was over hyped when he was released, and because most people aren't aware of his representation, since it's still pretty modest (mostly on a locals/regionals level). I feel like Roy is mid-tier.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 10.02.30 PM.png

If you are interested, I'm one of the ones that maintains the Roy tournament results spreadsheet, which you can find here. Here is the thread to submit results (sadly the OP is not being maintained atm, but the spreadsheet is being maintained), and I catch responses there or posted in the discord so long as they meet requirements:

80%+ Roy usage
must win 3 or more sets
must have 20+ people/10+ teams for doubles
must be offline

All Might / Static Manny and Ryo results are not recorded in there because I'm not sure what events those people have competed in that match those requirements.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
That's seriously terrible that they would rate him so low. Did they not realize Ryo beat Fatality 3-1 in a money match using Roy?

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I was wondering, can pivot F-tilt be used as an option out of a dash? It hits opponents behind Roy + has pretty low endlag.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I was wondering, can pivot F-tilt be used as an option out of a dash? It hits opponents behind Roy + has pretty low endlag.
Maybe. Doesn't sound terribly reliable due to its low range, and as a result, the sourspot.

Compare with Ike, where pivot FTilt is one of his best safe options - largely due to the range - and has potential to kill with rage.

Last edited:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Maybe. Doesn't sound terribly reliable due to its low range, and as a result, the sourspot.

Compare with Ike, where pivot FTilt is one of his best safe options - largely due to the range - and has potential to kill with rage.
Ike's is definitely better as a retreat, due to the range and the slight momentum he keeps from the turnaround.
Roy's stops his momentum but his run speed compensates for the distance he gets.

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
This has probably been answered already, and obviously with Roy not being a clone this time around, there probably isn't much basis for this, do Roy's sourspots have a hitlag multiplier that might make them safer, similarly to Marth?
(Marth's sourspot moves have a .7x hitlag multiplier to make them safer on shield, if I remember properly)

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
This has probably been answered already, and obviously with Roy not being a clone this time around, there probably isn't much basis for this, do Roy's sourspots have a hitlag multiplier that might make them safer, similarly to Marth?
(Marth's sourspot moves have a .7x hitlag multiplier to make them safer on shield, if I remember properly)
Roy had a hitlag multiplier similar to Marth prior to the shield patch a few months ago. All hitlag multipliers less that 1 were removed with the shield patch, however, so both Marth and Roy no longer have that.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Hello guys, I've been shadowing the Roy boards for a while since I've decided to get Roy this or next week (I never thought of a patch coming this early lol) And I have to ask what should I expect with all of Roy's attributes and what should I practice with him when I first get my hands on him (Though this may change tomorrow, idk when the patch happens lol)

Last edited:

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
People rank him low cause they don't know what he can do and automatically assume he's easiest to combo when he's like Captain Falcon which isn't bad. They think a sword user with small range is terrible but he's got the same range as :4metaknight: and almost :4tlink:. He has tip sour hit Mix ups too.

Who are all the Roy players I should watch in tourney matches? I know Sethalon, Ryo, and All Might. Who else is there?

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
What about Roy makes him less safe than marth (aside from less reach)? Less endlag, landing lag, and higher fall speed and mobility generally make his attacks safer to throw out from my expirience, and the reverse tipper mechanic combined with the aforementioned perks makes the middle of his blade much safer on hit while also keeping his tippered hits safe from my experience.

Also wondering what makes roy so easy to juggle? Things like his high falling and airspeed, wave bounce ded, flareblade, and his low landing lag aerials seems like it Would allow him to land white easily.

(Would like real roy mains to answer this btw).

Nice_FZPSC.42

Smash Ace
NNID
sirlumps14
What about Roy makes him less safe than marth (aside from less reach)? Less endlag, landing lag, and higher fall speed and mobility generally make his attacks safer to throw out from my expirience, and the reverse tipper mechanic combined with the aforementioned perks makes the middle of his blade much safer on hit while also keeping his tippered hits safe from my experience.

Also wondering what makes roy so easy to juggle? Things like his high falling and airspeed, wave bounce ded, flareblade, and his low landing lag aerials seems like it Would allow him to land white easily.

(Would like real roy mains to answer this btw).
It's similar to fox and C. falcon wise. He can be but you can get out easy too.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Two questions: I co-main Roy with Lucina and Palutena while having Ike and Cloud as secondaries, should I change to any particular character? And why does this community think Roy is bottom tier? Sure, he fallen behind Lucina and Marth due to not getting any buffs, but that doesn't mean he's one of the worst doesn't?

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Hiya! Have the kill %'s of Roy's blazer/ftilt been posted anywhere? I'm about to go lab for them, and might as well post them here if they haven't already. Thanks!

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Is there any easy way to crouch walk with roy? I'm having a lot of trouble consistently receiving the instant walk burst / not dashing when holding the control stick diagonally.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Is there any easy way to crouch walk with roy? I'm having a lot of trouble consistently receiving the instant walk burst / not dashing when holding the control stick diagonally.
In my experience, you just want to move the stick just slightly in the direction you want to walk, like for a tilt attack. Not sure if it's dependent on timing to get the biggest slide or how fast you can get to full walk speed, or maybe something entirely different.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I push the stick all the way down until he is crouching first, then roll the stick on the outer edge up until he starts walking. Do it too fast, and he'll run, so be careful of that, but if you do it right, you can find the point where he swaps between crouching and moving forwards, and just twitch between that point to get the movement you want. I'm still practicing it and don't really use crouch sliding practically yet though.

Last edited:

Elray

Smash Rookie
Anyone know what competitive stages are best for Roy? I prefer Battlefield since the platforms keep my opponents in the air, but I'm wondering what you guys prefer?

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Anyone know what competitive stages are best for Roy? I prefer Battlefield since the platforms keep my opponents in the air, but I'm wondering what you guys prefer?
IMO Roy doesn't gain much of a notable advantage/disadvantage on competitive stages, I usually go to stages that are bad for the character/player I'm up against.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Been playing as Roy a lot lately since I've been playing Rekka no Ken and Eliwood naturally reminded me of Roy. Been enjoying him especially since I stopped trying to treat him like Falcon or Marth (thank you CCI). Got 2 questions.

1. I see on Kurogane that bair, uair and dair can autocancel on frames 1 and 2. I know you can do an action after sh fair to avoid the landing lag like double jump or specials. I was wondering if it's possible to suffer no landing lag by timing a bair, uair or dair after a sh fair? I managed to make Roy suffer his uair landing lag rather than his fair landing lag but that's 1 more frame of landing lag as opposed to the 0 or whatever number a soft landing is that an autocancel would grant.

2. I noticed during one of my online matches that I jab locked an Ike at 29% with a tipper bair. From that I got wondering if Roy had any footstool shenanigan combos with his aerials since footstools can't be teched and his tipped aerials jab lock at certain percents. I was trying to get dthrow > footstool and it kinda worked (only tested on Yoshi) around 30% but either it's not guaranteed or I was messing up since it wasn't happening all the time. Plus, when it did work, Yoshi was able to go pretty far away. His airspeed is to thank for that most likely but also, I had to full hop to get the footstool so he had that much more air time. Might work better on a character like say D3 if it works at all.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Been playing as Roy a lot lately since I've been playing Rekka no Ken and Eliwood naturally reminded me of Roy. Been enjoying him especially since I stopped trying to treat him like Falcon or Marth (thank you CCI). Got 2 questions.

1. I see on Kurogane that bair, uair and dair can autocancel on frames 1 and 2. I know you can do an action after sh fair to avoid the landing lag like double jump or specials. I was wondering if it's possible to suffer no landing lag by timing a bair, uair or dair after a sh fair? I managed to make Roy suffer his uair landing lag rather than his fair landing lag but that's 1 more frame of landing lag as opposed to the 0 or whatever number a soft landing is that an autocancel would grant.

2. I noticed during one of my online matches that I jab locked an Ike at 29% with a tipper bair. From that I got wondering if Roy had any footstool shenanigan combos with his aerials since footstools can't be teched and his tipped aerials jab lock at certain percents. I was trying to get dthrow > footstool and it kinda worked (only tested on Yoshi) around 30% but either it's not guaranteed or I was messing up since it wasn't happening all the time. Plus, when it did work, Yoshi was able to go pretty far away. His airspeed is to thank for that most likely but also, I had to full hop to get the footstool so he had that much more air time. Might work better on a character like say D3 if it works at all.
On the first: no. You cannot use autocancel windows to avoid landing lag on fair. You can double jump out or use a special, and that's pretty much it.

On the second: Roy has a few footstool combos, but they can be finicky to land. Here's a vid on some of them. dthrow isn't necessarily the best option to use. Uair is a better tool to use.

All of Roy's aerials are combo starters under different circumstances, so I'd recommend exploring them, with and without footstools. Some of Roy's non-footstool options deal more damage, so keep that in mind.

Astrofallz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Astrofallz
3DS FC
4055-5220-2861
Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I know Roy's d-tilt and f-throw create tech chases but what percents do they start working and at what percents do they stop working? I know this depends on the character and rage of course, but what's the general range for the two moves Has this data been complied already?

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I know Roy's d-tilt and f-throw create tech chases but what percents do they start working and at what percents do they stop working? I know this depends on the character and rage of course, but what's the general range for the two moves Has this data been complied already?
As far as I know, there is no list for that. Another factor to take into consideration for this is DI.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
The general range of Roy's Dtilt causing knockdowns is around 40-60% depending on the character's weight. Fthrow is harder to get a general percent range since you have to factor in DI, rage etc.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Has anyone tried out the new Step Dash technique for Roy? I tried doing it in training mode and either I wasn't doing it right (most likely), or his step dash is hardly noticeable.

Step Dash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvRsb_2yE5Y
Roy mains knew about this tech several months ago. We called it crouch sliding, and pivot sliding. Sethlon uses crouch sliding in matches sometimes. On a pivot slide, you can slide pretty far. On an optimal crouch slide, the distance is shorter, but still noticeable.

Last edited:

Fledge

Smash Cadet
Roy mains knew about this tech several months ago. We called it crouch sliding, and pivot sliding. Sethlon uses crouch sliding in matches sometimes. On a pivot slide, you can slide pretty far. On an optimal crouch slide, the distance is shorter, but still noticeable.

I think Step Dash operates on the same underlying principles that govern Pivot Slide and Crouch Slide, but if I'm not mistaken is different in the sense that it doesn't require pivoting or even necessarily crouching, and can be done out of standing or landing. That said, for the life of me I can't do Step Dash at all, even with MK or Bayo, and I'm a guy who can do both aerial and grounded wavebounces consistently without custom controls. I really want to see what it looks like for Roy, too, if somebody could post a video or tips I'd be grateful.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I think Step Dash operates on the same underlying principles that govern Pivot Slide and Crouch Slide, but if I'm not mistaken is different in the sense that it doesn't require pivoting or even necessarily crouching, and can be done out of standing or landing. That said, for the life of me I can't do Step Dash at all, even with MK or Bayo, and I'm a guy who can do both aerial and grounded wavebounces consistently without custom controls. I really want to see what it looks like for Roy, too, if somebody could post a video or tips I'd be grateful.
Crouch and pivot slides are both applications of step dash lol. Roy's step is odd, you have to delay a bit longer than with other characters, I think. The thing that makes it slightly more situational with Roy, and why we usually use it out of crouch and pivot slides only, is because few of Roy's moves retain momentum. Flare blade, dsmash, and taunt are the only ones: all others stop his momentum. That's why we crouch or pivot, so we can retain momentum on those options without committing.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Can I ask for tips on the Diddy MU? I Just found out that the top Diddy player in my region is none other than IC and I would like to be prepared in any way possible.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Hi Roy players!
How do you all feel about Roy's throws? I used to play Marth for awhile and felt frustrated that his throws didn't really place foes at followup distance. One thing I find very interesting is how close Roy's foes end up after getting thrown. Of course this is all on the surface observation, and I haven't clocked much time with Roy; it's just seems that Roy's throws look so good for him in theory

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Hi Roy players!
How do you all feel about Roy's throws? I used to play Marth for awhile and felt frustrated that his throws didn't really place foes at followup distance. One thing I find very interesting is how close Roy's foes end up after getting thrown. Of course this is all on the surface observation, and I haven't clocked much time with Roy; it's just seems that Roy's throws look so good for him in theory
His follow up distance will help turn many things into a advantage, For example a down throw to neutral air to a forward air always works for me

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
dthrow > uair works for a super wide percent range as safe, guaranteed damage. If you are good at reading DI and catch them DI'ing out, you can set them up for the fthrow > fsmash tech chase, especially on fast fallers.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Just a small question since Kurogane Hammer doesn't have the info. Roy's up-b landing lag and the FAF before freefalling? Thanks in advance.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Just a small question since Kurogane Hammer doesn't have the info. Roy's up-b landing lag and the FAF before freefalling? Thanks in advance.
Blazer has 30 frames of landing lag, I don't think the move has a FAF since it puts Roy in freefall automatically.

whoknowswhat

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1864-9884-2286
What can Roy do to bayo or rosa? or any other top tiers really. It's gotten to the point where i literally dont touch any buttons and i just play keep away as soon as I get a lead and if they get a stock lead I usually just play stupid aggressive or lra+start

Top Bottom