• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sydney Smash Thread - Comrades Of Xeno -

unreon

Smash Ace
Okay, I wasn't going to jump into this piracy issue, but somebody said something that made me compelled to post. SO BEWARE, giant wall of text has arrived.

Piracy is illegal for one, let's get that out of the way. However, the prices of games are also far too ridiculous, and need to be dropped significantly in order to be accepted as mainstream entertainment. That's the first step. TV shows have no barrier to entry beyond the cost of the, well, TV. Movies have a barrier entry of ~$12 (or ~$20 for DVDs), which is almost standard everywhere - other barriers include having a nearby cinema, how many friends you have (or lack) to watch with. It's not very difficult to for a person with no *real* knowledge of literary film to get in and watch say, a Citizen Kane.

Games do not have this, because they're GOD**** EXPENSIVE. You need a TV, maybe a high-end TV, you need a device which costs over ten/fifteen times the price of a movie, the knowledge of how to use a fangled controller ie. good spatial coordination (ie. girls already have a difficult time). Then comes the cost of a $100-$120 game, which may or may not turn out good. THEN you need to get into genres - FPS? Fighters? Racers, RTS, Platforming, Sims, Adventure - the average consumer is already TERRIFIED to enter.

"Hey, I liked Spiderman 3 for $12, I'll try the game."
...HAHAHA, TRAPPED YOU.

Perpetual, these prices are ultimately UNHEALTHY for the games industry, and you can't exactly blame people for pirating games that ultimately aren't worth the money. This Turtle's basic argument.

Personally, I like buying games that are only worth something, which I consider industry-defining. Last gen, most of these games were on the Gamecube. I bought Metroid Prime. I bought Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Ikaruga (*high fives Xeno*), Melee, F-Zero GX, REmake and RE4. Although I didn't pirate GC (didn't know how), I would not have bought Mario Kart, Eternal Darkness, Sunshine, Mario Party, etc. etc. if I had the choice. For the same reasons, I don't regret buying SFIII:3s nor pirating God of War (my goodness this game is overrated), Kingdom Hearts, FFX and FFXII. I DO regret not purchasing ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, and Snake Eater.

Why don't you buy a PS3? Sony products are very hackable.. *snip*
*sigh* This is SUCH a ******** statement. You judge Turtle for not playing his part by handing his money over to Nintendo, rewarding them for making a great game, funding future projects? But now you deem it okay to waste Yamauchi’s effort? How about Jaffe, Kamiya, Ueda, Barlog, and Kojima’s time, money, and effort?

You sound like you’re only infatuated with Miyamoto, Sakurai, Aonuma, and Koizumi. Not that I blame you. But worship of one company whilst decrying others means that you’re effectively the stupid church preacher putting money into Nintendo’s collection tray. So listen, child. That makes you a fanboy. Not a gamer.

i would've never bought SMG if i had not been able to obtain it for free.
Okay, SCREW YOU. Super Mario Galaxy is GOD. That game was a landmark in the platforming genre, it redefined what 3D platforming meant, it left its closest competitor - Ratchet - in the dust. NOBODY can touch its imagination, creativity, and wonder and joy and magnificence and amazing all in those 120 stars.

I hate you, next time we play I’m doing nothing but laser camping until you go nuts. BUY THIS GAME >=( >=(

RAWR RAWR anger angst RAWR.

Why, Turtle, why? ='(

PS: One last question PO. If you’re against piracy, do you pirate movies? Music? Buy fakes of high-end fashion designs? If you do, what’s with the double standard?

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Piracy is a crime, filesharing and copying is not. End of story.

As for jb, what i do is go to eb games, get 2 cheapo pre-owned games, get 1 for free, got to jb hifi, use the trade in 3 games and get 1 free deal and get a half price game <3. Note: Wii play doesnt work, just buy 2 $25 games and your set.

xeno

Smash Ace
Can I ask a question.
What is so great about Super Mario Galaxy.
Someone said it was "an acid trip condensed into a videogame experience" (acid users are known to believe they've met God or are God). I've never done acid (yet, suckas), butI've watched someone play SMG for a few minutes. It was trancelinke, in psychological way. However it didn't seemto be anything transhuman or supernatural.. maybe the epitimy of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's "Flow", but not something mystical, as I would call the storyline in Ikaruga (yeah, read it sometime.), MGS2 (the rest of MGS is transhuman but not quite mystical, and it's the best **** level of it). SoTC I would call both very Flow and Mystical. (Psychological as well as Spiritual aspects).

But Mario? It's a plumber in space on a rotating planet.
Maybe this makes me the guy standing inside and saying Jesus is a nutcase while everyone else worships.. but the response to SMG has been very mystical/spiritual "is god", "is the best game ever made". It sounds like the people playing have had a spiritual experience. And honestly, I'm cautious about trying it now. Because it has no spiritual themes, so IMO any mysticism it's able to achieve is only done through excellent Flow techniques, not one-ness and understanding of the universe.

Hey, I think Guilty Gear is better then Smash because of the themes it spreads.. "awesome/kickass". Melee's mechanics are undoubtedly better from a: game design, experienteal design, mechanical complex design. But spirituality? Guilty Gear wins.

I'm glad we're having these conflicting expressions.
As you can see I disagree with Unreon about SMG, but I'm very curious -- and I can see evidence to support his "experience" and psychology.

Btw Perpetual. Please stop taking Smash so seriously. You're a decent kid -- you ain't ****ed in the head in some of the more interesting ways you can be, but you worship Smash. When you were talking to me and you were like "It would be an honor to get 4 stocked by him" (referring to Ken or Kulla or something). No, it wouldn't. They're both better at Smash then you, but neither of them have reached a transhuman level through skill. Ability, not skill is transhumanism.. (question me on this if you don't understand what I mean). It's innate. Man succeeding at the rules man made (videogames) is not impressive, only expected.

I met Ken. I thought he was an ***. I still think he's an ***.

Would this get me mobbed at an American tournament?

If so.. then the mob is worshipping a god**** game.

Why do I think Ken's an ass? He was completely disinterested in a) talking, b) playing Sydney EXCEPT FOR MONEY MATCHES. In other words, he was here for purely mechanical, strategic reasons: make money, and owe a friendship debt to Cao (as far as I can tell). Knowing that everyone at C2 would be in awe of his skills, it is my opinion he should have been nicer -- and maybe do something like play friendlies against the people he's staying with for the duration of the trip. IIRC, Jaz found a cheap motel that we stayed at (it was good quailty, and <$20 a night. Impressive, in comparison to the rest). When I tried to talk to Ken, he basically shoved me off by not chaining the conversation anywhere -- one question, one answer. one statement, no answer.

Ken might be the god of smash as we know it, but I'd rather vs Jaz, Unreon, Turtle, Bjay, Kulla then Ken any day. Sure, my Psychology-Skill related levels of Smsah would suck in comparison, but my Mystical friendship and human to human connection would be a lot stronger, and to me, that's more valuable.

Remember humans,
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Smash doesn't count when you're dead.

xeno

Smash Ace
in other words, you can tell i didn't diss unreon for his belief because he at least has a standard well, it's understandable even if i think it's incorrect.
perpetual, you contradict yourself about pirating with the ps3 reference -- that's non-understandable.

(this is 10 percent luck.. 20 percent skill..)

Dedu

Smash Lord
Xeno - I was out at the beach for the day. I did get your call but I can't hear on that phone and I wasn't sure if it was you mate. Next time you want to contact me, remember to send a text instead. I might pop around your place tomorrow as I'll be in the neighborhood.

BJ - Blow Job, not Bee Jay. Often referring to becoming something better, but I used that in a sarcastic term. In other words, JB was good at first and then decides to charge video games for the same price as EB.
PBR - why not? Sure it blows but at least its got stuff I'm still looking into. And I can finally see Arceus in 3D, which makes it look better than in that small 2D screen.

Unreal - I've been looking for a decently priced RE4 for the Wii. Can you suggest a good place IRL or on the net?

Xeno goes Super Saiyan (-.-) with this quote -
I met Ken. I thought he was an ***. I still think he's an ***.
So true. The conversations everyone had with him after the tourney showed he was a jerk. He wasn't there to get to know everyone but purely to get $$$ and for Cao.

xeno

Smash Ace
Ok, first post was being a wise human (Mystical)
Second post was clarifying things (Reverse transhumanism from Mystical to Psychological)
Third post is going to be a soulless, psychological expression because I feel like it (Game level)

PERPETUAL-SAN!
I am Miyamoto-san! Thank u SOOOO very very very much for playng
ACTION ENTENDO GAMES! (tm)
super smash bros. may-lee is THE NUMBA ONE fighting game to hit "game CUBE" console!
To show you our TREMENDOUS CORPORATE SATISFACTION
we have made special WII/MII character JUST FOR YOU!
Lookie lookie consumer! It is a MII made in my LIKENESS -- MYIAMOTO-SAN MII!
He will give you GOOD LUCK as you try to connect in SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL
the game that will cause you to abandon your sex life and become "SUPER BRAWL NUMEBR ONE PLAYER"
Nintendo thanks YOU for making FAMILY FUN WHTIE COLORS EXPERIENCE!
games are "so outdated!" we must make EXPERIENCE to produce PROFITS.. oh oh ho, FUN! Fun is God! Let us have fun!

(in other words, nintendos wii marketing campaign is **** freaky and the white colors reminds me of the soothing walls of an asylum. videogames soothe the minds of the masses so they don't attempt to understand the infinite order of the universe -- it is man made order, and that we can wrap ou rheads around and feel confident in our knowledge, because in our man-made world, we have become God.
When we step into the universe, we are weak, feeble specks with willpowers that we refuse to comprehend because we are too busy enjoying ourselves. to understand mysticism you have to understand the nature of your self, and you will not find the nature of yourself by flowing or reaching masterful levels of skill in manmade videogames).

A joke to prevent your head from exploding:
Try sa ying the Miyamoto-san scene with the voice of the gay japanese television announcer's voice from Lost in Translation, and imagine yourself, PO, sitting next to him.

And watch that movie if you haven't, dammit that is the most beautiful movie I have ever seen.

To answer the skeptics questions:
No, I'm not drunk, drugged, or listening to music.
I just slept off most of a headache caused by a caffiene-taurine overdose -- a 250ml can with 1000mg taurine last night, first intake in over two weeks.

I am, however, in a supreme state of soul and mysticism.
So I understand psychology, transhumanism, flow, and the nature of videogames.
Keep breathing. It's fun.

Dedu

Smash Lord
LOL.

I can completely imagine that Xeno. Those Japanese are crazy! (To use an Asterisk and Obelisk term)
videogames soothe the minds of the masses so they don't attempt to understand the infinite order of the universe -- it is man made order, and that we can wrap ou rheads around and feel confident in our knowledge, because in our man-made world, we have become God.
Doesn't someone here play videogames? And uuuhhhh, speaking of Mysticism, its all about fully comprehending nature as you can intuitively understand it. Video games don't offer that but they offer a great way to waste your time while enjoying an artificial experience. Like drugs.

And yes, breathing is fun. Breathe deeply and you will enjoy every moment you breathe.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Xeno why are you talking like people actually know who you are?

Ken's human, if you were the best player in the world at something i.e a video game, tennis, soccer, there are constantly people wanting to play against them to either try and beat them or better them selves because it's the ultimate test. Smash nubs all play the same so playing them over and over without getting anything in return would piss you off eventually. So you mm them to make things interesting. Ken's not an ***, he's just tired of nubs like you who keep pestering him to play. If he didn't talk to you obviously you did something wrong, cause from what I've heard from Josh is that he played ken heaps and he told him heaps of story's about U.S tourney's. So, in conclusion, you fail, go die kthx <3

xeno

Smash Ace
Woa, woa woa. I did something wrong because Ken didn't want to play me? Ken barely played the people where he was staying. He routinely expressed that he didn't give a crap about why he was there. And I didn't "beg" him. I asked him if he wanted a friendly, like maybe twice. On two different days.

And not having Ken "like" me is not failure. If the guy doesn't wanna play Smash at a Smash convention, then I don't want to play him. And mm's vs Ken for most people is about as "interesting" as a GM vs a 1200 rated in Chess.. no unpredictability, not interesting.

Good for Josh, I'm glad he had fun. I'm not jealous or bitter or anything about it.. from my experience in dealing with Ken I think he's an ***. That's MY experience. Not yours, not Josh, not the American tourney players. I dont doubt Ken can be a cool guy, I know Cao hangs with him and Cao's cool. (Actually, I'd like to take a line to say that Cao's really cool. He's friendly to everyone, isn't insulting when he beats people in matches, and is enjoyable to chat with even outside of Smash.

For the record, I don't "hate" Ken or anything. Read my words exactly. I judge based on my experience, just like everyone does. But my respect for people is influenced more by how well I get along with them then how skilled they are at a game. I don't like Smash enough to play it exclusively for the skill's sake.

wtf?

At least Stu understood what I was saying. Geez. Rock on Stu, your post is correct.

(Edit, Cao is this the guy that.. you know. Broke out of the house. And stuff. Cuz that's **** funny, whoever it is XD)

Well sure Samuel. But the last guy to go by his normal name in Smash was "El Sid". Post your flaming posts, please. When I'm done with this pizza I'm gonna go play some videogames. And breathe.

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
Hi.

I was just wondering if there are any tournaments or smash get-togethers are happening in/around Syd.

I live south of Sydney (around Wollongong). I wouldn't mind bringing up some friends or something for a day out.

Or, have these types of things died in the anticipated wait for Brawl?

Thanks =]

xeno

Smash Ace
FinXx: Jaz is hosting a meet next weekend, on either Saturday or Sunday (still undecided). He lives in Botany, which is sorta near Redfern, which is near Central.
Also, ComboTurtle lives near Wollongong -- you might try to vs. him down there.
Please bring cubes/cards/controllers/tvs though :]. The more the better, and Jaz is missing his televisions (other smash players have them from last tournament :p). Bring any other games you want to play as well -- I'm going to bring Guilty Gear, and maybe Ikaruga.

perpetual ownage

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* This is SUCH a ******** statement. You judge Turtle for not playing his part by handing his money over to Nintendo, rewarding them for making a great game, funding future projects? But now you deem it okay to waste Yamauchi’s effort? How about Jaffe, Kamiya, Ueda, Barlog, and Kojima’s time, money, and effort?

You sound like you’re only infatuated with Miyamoto, Sakurai, Aonuma, and Koizumi. Not that I blame you. But worship of one company whilst decrying others means that you’re effectively the stupid church preacher putting money into Nintendo’s collection tray. So listen, child. That makes you a fanboy. Not a gamer.
You missinterpretted my post. I don't hate Sony. I didn't mean it like what you responded.

PS: One last question PO. If you’re against piracy, do you pirate movies? Music? Buy fakes of high-end fashion designs? If you do, what’s with the double standard?
No I don't pirate anything. There is no double standard.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Are we talking Sat/Sun i.e. 2nd/3rd of Feb? If so, I'm free 3rd. I'm working on 2nd.

I read all the posts since my post lol.

I don't wanna involve myself in any of this so I'll just reply to what involves me.

Fair enough stu. :p

Jaz

Smash Ace
debating in syd thread?
thought this was perth for a sec ._.
i'm too tired to contribute to most of it, games are over priced though

Plus Ken was awesome, he can't be nice to everyone xen T-T
on that same token, you can't expect everyone to like him either, its an age old story.
perpetual ownage.. whats your msn again? i'm not blocking you (answering a question in advance)
soz guys i can only host on a weekend, one day too, and that one day will depend solely on what day kulla can make it cause he is bringing the tvs

See you all this weekend ^_^

unreon

Smash Ace
Sorry for not calling you Sam (can I call you Sam?) before, I was not properly introduced to you at Revo.

No I don't pirate anything. There is no double standard.
Well then I apologise and I'll back off. You have higher moral standards than me LOLOL ;P

I'd like to apologise on behalf of Turtle and Xeno too. Tried to keep it perfectly intellectual but I guess somewhere along the way we stepped over the line (I know where, but I don't want to point fingers). Hope you don't see the rest of the community in a negative light; come to meets where everyone is friendly =)

I'll bring SF3:3s if anyone is interested. As long as Jaz's PS2 can play import US games, lol. I'd rather Smash anyways though so if the idea is shut down.

PS: I agree, Cao was a great guy. =D
PPS: Go buy Super Mario Galaxy.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
Hi.

I was just wondering if there are any tournaments or smash get-togethers are happening in/around Syd.

I live south of Sydney (around Wollongong). I wouldn't mind bringing up some friends or something for a day out.

Or, have these types of things died in the anticipated wait for Brawl?

Thanks =]

OMG WOLLONGONG SMASHER <3 i live in wollongong screw sydney just hang out with me, but i dont live in the gong atm not until uni starts and im hungover and too lazy to read the rest of the posts, but i will add this to the discussion. TURTLE ****ING RULES <3 sydney!

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord

Ken's human, if you were the best player in the world at something i.e a video game, tennis, soccer, there are constantly people wanting to play against them to either try and beat them or better them selves because it's the ultimate test. Smash nubs all play the same so playing them over and over without getting anything in return would piss you off eventually. So you mm them to make things interesting. Ken's not an ***, he's just tired of nubs like you who keep pestering him to play. If he didn't talk to you obviously you did something wrong, cause from what I've heard from Josh is that he played ken heaps and he told him heaps of story's about U.S tourney's. So, in conclusion, you fail, go die kthx <3

gtfo of our thread and go suck some anime cok, xeno is better than you at life.

p.s samuel, i dont hate you i just think you could lay off on the judging etc.

unreon

Smash Ace
Turtle... you sound drunk O.o

And BJAY!! I just remembered! I have a friend who works at Luna Park too! Try to find a guy named Mario Cheong and tell him you know me =)=)=)

Bjay

Smash Lord
Actually I'm free Wednesday, not Tuesday anymore sorry.

Turtle... you sound drunk O.o

And BJAY!! I just remembered! I have a friend who works at Luna Park too! Try to find a guy named Mario Cheong and tell him you know me =)=)=)
does he work with rides though? I don't know anyone outside of the Rides department. :p

unreon

Smash Ace
does he work with rides though? I don't know anyone outside of the Rides department. :p
Ummm last time I heard from him he works with tickets. He retold a story of a customer buying tickets 5 minutes before closing time, he was warned multiple times ("we're about to close, are you sure?"), then got into a raging fit and returned 10 minutes later and asked for a refund.

Bjay

Smash Lord
so whens the meet

Ummm last time I heard from him he works with tickets. He retold a story of a customer buying tickets 5 minutes before closing time, he was warned multiple times ("we're about to close, are you sure?"), then got into a raging fit and returned 10 minutes later and asked for a refund.

Ah I see T_T
darndarn :p and lol at that guy who wanted the refund

Jaz

Smash Ace
its at jaz's

meet starts whenever bjay gets here, hope to see a lot of familiar faces, and perhaps some new ones.

smash boards is stuffing up, so i'll be brief and leave it there

byo money for food ****it

Top Bottom