• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switch Pro Controllers replace NGC ones?

Aboxofjuice

Smash Rookie
Good Morning all,

Been doing some research about the new Pro controllers as all the current NGC controllers I have are pretty worn down. Does the community think these will be viable for competitive Ultimate play, or should I just navigate the counterfeit NGC controllers on Ebay???

Thanks for the help!!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nah, no need to go to the black market, they sell official licensed Smash Bros. Edition GC controllers specifically for Switch users these days.

If yours still work, I highly suggest tracking down a Gamecube controller adaptor.

Last edited:

Aboxofjuice

Smash Rookie
I thought the licensed Smash Edition GC controllers had defects? Saw alot of reviews where they werent very responsive etc... I could be wrong tho

Blue Rose

Smash Rookie
I thought the licensed Smash Edition GC controllers had defects? Saw alot of reviews where they werent very responsive etc... I could be wrong tho
I bought one last week and I haven't noticed any issues with it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I've been using some kind of pro controller for the Wii. I use it in SSB4, although I have the pro controller for the Wii U as well. I got used to them because it seemed like GC controllers would expire eventually.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Switch Pro controllers are amazing. Definitely the controller Im using for Smash. It is good on Nintendo to leave the GC option open though for Ultimate.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
No idea. I haven't seen latency problems so far when using wireless or wired with the Pro controller.
I had heard the pro controller wired would get ~60 ms to wireless' 30 ms, which doesn't seem like much but every millisecond counts in a game like this.

Grunky Peep

Smash Journeyman
Good Morning all,

Been doing some research about the new Pro controllers as all the current NGC controllers I have are pretty worn down. Does the community think these will be viable for competitive Ultimate play, or should I just navigate the counterfeit NGC controllers on Ebay???

Thanks for the help!!
I honestly don't think GameCube controllers will ever stop being used. Nintendo keeps supporting them and they just feel really good to use. If you are planning on using a pro controller (which in my opinion is the second best option), I would recommend a wired one for competitive play, as syncing up wireless ones can be a hassle and can have latency problems. Not to mention battery life could be an issue.

Top Bottom