• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Ah I think I'll begin this sort of thing. I joined the gym about a month ago, starting at an ugly 210 pounds, I am now down to 187 and I'm seeing very small results. Though I do lift weights, do the crunches, I focus more on my legs through running, jogging, and using a tread mill since it'll help me burn off my weight quicker than the others. Already I can see a four pack coming in, it is still fairly hidden but I can see it slightly pressing through which is YAY!

Being I am new to this I don't have much to say, however, I do plan to keep everybody updated on my progress. I assure you that. I've awaited years to kill my ugly fatness and send it to **** and it will finally happen AND I PLAN TO BRAG!!!!!

Sorry for the outburst. I'm just so happy and excited.
Welcome to the gym! Indeed keep us updated and ask for help. Oh and don't worry about outbursts. This is a gym thread after all. You're SUPPOSED to be narcissistic and gloat.

Gloating only inspires those below you. :p

Updated info:

5'5? 5'6 if I'm lucky.
118 lbs (5 lb gain so happy)
Build: Cut/Toned

Goals: reach a normal or near normal weight. Also, get an 8 pack.

Btw, TW, it's wierd, because for some reason, no matter how I work out my lower adominals, I can't seem to get that cut right between my 6th and 8th pack. So right now I have the semblance of a 7 pack. Which...is wierd. I know each person is different, but any suggestions or is this just normal?
8 packs are pretty intense... and I don't even have a visible one lol. As for the 7 pack... I've never heard of that. Send me a picture? You may be off balance.

Here's the way I jog. Nothing keeps you on your toes more.

Before you watch this, It's pretty old, and I'm a melee player. LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfOVr0xXI6U
LMAO! Dr. Mario + Peach FTW!

Oh and, you looked fit lol. Get some pics in the intro! :p

Brawllllllllll DDDDD:

I stepped away from smashboards due to inactivity the san antonio scene but decided to stalk the pool room :D I thought I might be of help here, although anything I have to say has already been said. Btw Tiger, this is a very nice thread and your very courteous and helpful towards others. It's a great help to our scene.

I'll try to make a contributing post tonight.

CAOTIC: Are you still in that plateau stage? Your a regular at a gym if I remember. Maybe it's that point where your muscles have completely adapted to your weekly routine, or that the workload has to reach a heaver and more intense load. It could be your nutrition and that mass muscle supplements are now a major help since your most likely reaching that stage. Hopefully one of the personal trainers knows whats up and can help.
Glad to have your help.

Thanks! Hahaha. Might as well do something useful with my time here. :p

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active lately. I just have been busy.

Gotta get back to working out.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
I use the word semblance because even the 7 pack isn't fully developed yet. If I were to take a picture of it, it would be just barely visible. Like, the faintest pencil mark you could make. In good lighting you can see it fairly clearly. I'll get a picture up as soon as I get it more developed. Hopefully by then I'll have an 8 pack.

The only reason I even have it is because my body fat percentage is normally below the healthy limit of most males. I have anywhere from 4-6% when a normal person should have about 7%. Tis the only reason.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Come on man, eat some chicken breast and egg whites, gain the weight, and build up the real 8 pack.

To build abs, I do this workout:

Lay on a reclining crunch bench, and have a stack of weights sitting next to you. I start by holding 25 lbs on my chest and do as many sittups as I can, and then when I get tired I drop to crunches. Then I keep going down the line till I can't lift any more weight. Focus on lifting your chest toward the ceiling rather than curling your lower back.

I don't have an 8 pack. I don't care much about building abs right now so I don't do this workout more than once a week. But this workout works well if you pick up the frequency.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I thought I would share some random stuff with you guys. Most of it a lot of you guys know already, but maybe it'll help someone who's just lost :D

Metabolic Rate Expenditure

Obviously you know that you need a certain amount of calories a day for your body to function correctly. But did you ever know how much? The Metabolic Rate Expenditure (or BMR) is the required amount of calories a day. It's also called the Harris-Benedict formula? It calculates how many you need, although it's only a starting point and other variables (such as physical activity, medical conditions, blahh) can affect it:

Men: 66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years) = ?
Women: 655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

I'm 5'10 inches and 175 pounds (DDDD: ) and am 18 years old, so my BMR is 1149.1

Carbohydrates

You need them for energy. Not having enough carbs can severely limit the amount of insulin your body releases into your system and depletes glycogen levels. Without enough enough carbs to use for energy, your body cannibalizes muscle tissue to use it as the tissue it needs if your working. Yep, the muscles your trying to build are being used as backup energy. Obviously too many carbs can build up into fat, but you NEED them to work.

Protein

Your muscles use protein to repair and maintain themselves. The average person needs to consume one gram of protein for every 2.2 pounds of body weight to maintain muscle. Working out or exercising greatly increases your need for it. Serious muscle building may need 1 gram per pound. It's those huge supplement jugs you see in the vitamin section or store that hardcore bodybuilders use.

Water

Holy crap. Self explanatory.

Before Working Out

Try eating something with protein or carbs, or even both. Carbs absorb faster into the bloodstream when eaten in smaller doses. For carbs, try mixing grains with fruit: slice of whole wheat bread with an apple; a small bowl of oatmeal and raisins. Protein/carb snacks: include a tuna sandwich (you guys already know that), a chicken salad, or a glass of milk with fruit. Don't like any of that, google protein or carbs and find something you like that's healthy. Whatever you eat, keep your portions smaller the closer you are to working out.

After Working Out

Eat something small, but something. When your done working out the body's main priority is refilling the glycogen that you just exhausted. If there's no food in your body then, you guessed it, your body goes after muscle tissue again. (You didn't think it was coincidence that athletic coaches tried to have the period before of after lunch in school?) Eating after a workout also helps you refuel for the next workout because the body converts glycogen (fuel you just used up from exercising) at twice it's typical speed within the first 15-30 minutes after exercising. If you can't snack immediately then eat as soon as you can.

Sleep

"Nike, DUH. We know." Your body needs it to rest. But sadly, a lot of people still stay up late, wake up early, and stretch the soreness off so that they can run or lift. You need time between workouts, usually 48 -72 hours.

Variety

The body is very adaptive. When you try a new workout, at first it's a challenge and your body tries to work very hard. You feel it the next morning. But after the next few times you do it, your muscles come to know what to expect and learn easier ways to get their jobs done using less effort and burning fewer calories and, by default, achieving fewer new results. After a few weeks your exercises are very easy because your muscles want to do their job with as little effort as possible. You reach a plateau. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it shows that your doing good :D

The body learns to adapt by 6-8 weeks. To keep getting results, you have to "confuse" your muscles by changing your routine every 3-4 weeks. Find a different way to work that muscle or area of the body. It's not difficult. Google and youtube whatever muscle your working on and there's bound to be endless different ways to use it. Try looking at how someone else worked that muscle on this thread. Find one you like and use it for another 3-4 weeks. Then go to something else and the whole process starts again. Again, it's making sure that your body doesn't get used to it.

I know that most of this is common sense, but hopefully somebody got something out it :D

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Guess whose BACK!!!

Thanks Nike-20 for the advice, yeah my body is getting used to my routine real fast, but I've been making recent gains (finally!)

And I played Soccer for a couple of hours yesterday; I had no idea it was physically demanding! my leggssssssssss....

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Guess whose BACK!!!

Thanks Nike-20 for the advice, yeah my body is getting used to my routine real fast, but I've been making recent gains (finally!)

And I played Soccer for a couple of hours yesterday; I had no idea it was physically demanding! my leggssssssssss....
Heh soccer is really fun, though I can't do much besides kicking the ball hard and running lol.

It's pretty demanding. :p

Oh and.... does anyone want to help me format the OP? It's so messy looking to me and I don't know how to go about making it prettier... :(

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I'm so glad I'm decent at all the sports in Phys Ed now, but now I see that fitness is probably the last thing on anyone's mind who isn't an athlete or dedicated to working out. I can't even get my brother to work out with me.

I cut down my schedule to working out every other day because of college work and classes, but I'm still getting a good workout with compound exercises on weekdays and cardio on weekends.

GOD!

Smash Ace
or a glass of milk with fruit.
Never eat any dairy products before a work out. They will literally just hang in your stomach the whole time.
Sleep
"Nike, DUH. We know." Your body needs it to rest. But sadly, a lot of people still stay up late, wake up early, and stretch the soreness off so that they can run or lift. You need time between workouts, usually 48 -72 hours.
This isn't true though (48-72 hours). It also has nothing to do with sleep. If you lift more than once a day, you need 6 hours to be able to regain the energy to work the same muscles. You can work out 5 days a week, twice or more a day as long as you sleep and eat a ton, and you can grow.

To build abs, I do this workout:

Lay on a reclining crunch bench, and have a stack of weights sitting next to you. I start by holding 25 lbs on my chest and do as many sittups as I can, and then when I get tired I drop to crunches. Then I keep going down the line till I can't lift any more weight. Focus on lifting your chest toward the ceiling rather than curling your lower back.
This is good, I do a little variation of this:

-Get a reclining bench, get a 10 plate, a 25, 35, maybe a 45.
-Warm up set with no weight.
-Set with 10 lb., keeping the ten either above or behind your head so your abs are actually doing the work.
-The fun part: get the 25 or whatever weight plate, and pull yourself up so you're in the crunched position with the weight in front of you.
-Then put the weight behind your head and try and go back as slowly as possible. When you hit the bottom, push the weight up to your hips, and then curl back up and repeat.

This is amazing. It helped me get that peak in your upper abs that some people have, and its a great mix-up from your regular positive-work ab exercises.
And of course, this isn't a lower back exercise.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Never eat any dairy products before a work out. They will literally just hang in your stomach the whole time.
Your right about that and idk how i mixed that up. Dairy is a horrible idea right before a work out, milk is meant as a post-training drink.

This isn't true though (48-72 hours). It also has nothing to do with sleep.
That greatly depends on the intensity of the workout. Sleep is just important to the body in general. But then...

If you lift more than once a day, you need 6 hours to be able to regain the energy to work the same muscles. You can work out 5 days a week, twice or more a day as long as you sleep and eat a ton, and you can grow.
Wouldn't that contradict what you said earlier? And working out twice a day HEAVILY depends on the intensity of your work load. Most twice a day people split different muscles for different times. Although some people are freaks of nature, doing heavy lifting on the same muscle twice a day just isn't healthy and you'll strain yourself. Your muscles grow not during a workout, but when their resting.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
This is good, I do a little variation of this:

-Get a reclining bench, get a 10 plate, a 25, 35, maybe a 45.
-Warm up set with no weight.
-Set with 10 lb., keeping the ten either above or behind your head so your abs are actually doing the work.
-The fun part: get the 25 or whatever weight plate, and pull yourself up so you're in the crunched position with the weight in front of you.
-Then put the weight behind your head and try and go back as slowly as possible. When you hit the bottom, push the weight up to your hips, and then curl back up and repeat.

This is amazing. It helped me get that peak in your upper abs that some people have, and its a great mix-up from your regular positive-work ab exercises.
And of course, this isn't a lower back exercise.
I actually do it like this too. Although, you have to be careful and know your limits when you hold the weight behind your head or you'll end up f***ing your lower back.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Wouldn't that contradict what you said earlier? And working out twice a day HEAVILY depends on the intensity of your work load. Most twice a day people split different muscles for different times. Although some people are freaks of nature, doing heavy lifting on the same muscle twice a day just isn't healthy and you'll strain yourself. Your muscles grow not during a workout, but when their resting.
When I said "it has nothing to do with sleep," I was talking about your post entitled "Sleep" that didn't mention sleep at all, just length of time between workouts.

No lie: if you don't get sleep, you don't grow, period. Sleep is super important. I can lift as heavy as I want, but if I (personally) am not getting 10 hours a night, I'm not gonna grow and my bodies gonna feel like hell pretty much continuously.

Every person I know who lifts more than once a day (and they're all wrestlers) hit the same body parts. They might change the exercises or go from heavy to light, but they are hitting the same muscles. Hitting the same muscles once a day just doesn't help me enough anymore.

If you go twice a day, why would you do two different muscle groups? The whole point of twice a day is to get in an extra workout in when you're not waiting for those muscles to recoup.

I did three times a day for a few times.. then school started. If you don't go twice a day, just try it sometime. It might be too much, or you might enjoy it and make a lot of gains.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I just spoke with my mother for my ab routine, since I've been slacking on that and focusing on my chest mostly.

Figured this could help some people. As long as you have decently developed abs this routine is good for you. Do as soon as waking up and follow with a **** good breakfast.

100 Hanging Leg Raises (Even if you don't have a bar you could do this from a tree, or playground)
100 Crunches
100 Leg Raises
100 Flutter Kicks
100 Side Reaches (Go to standard crunch/situp position. Put your hands at your side, and slide your right hand down to your right heel, with your thumb touching your foot. Squeeze/Contract your oblique on the right side. Focus on using the muscle as you do it [This goes for every exercise]. Hold for a few seconds, and proceed to slide your hand and body back into the normal position. Don't hold yourself in the normal position. Do the same on your left side. Your goal is to go from the right to the left in a fluid motion)

Edit: I'll take a picture of myself tomorrow after the work out, then in 2 weeks I'll post another one. I'll be doing these every day.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Wooooo..... I just spent a good couple hours or so working out. Mmmm, I don't feel I made too much of a headway, but its a good habit to have. :D

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Just wondering...how would you condition your instep? My instep got screwed up when I was at a TKD tournament and the guy I was fighting kept blocking with his knees.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Here is a picture of me at age 14

2 years ago. I didn't know a **** thing about bulking up.

10 pounds later

Gotta gain some weight to build muscle. This is recent

Recent

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Just wondering...how would you condition your instep? My instep got screwed up when I was at a TKD tournament and the guy I was fighting kept blocking with his knees.
Do you mean like condition it to take hits? If so, repeated hits will toughen the bones in the area.

Here is a picture of me at age 14

2 years ago. I didn't know a **** thing about bulking up.

10 pounds later

Gotta gain some weight to build muscle. This is recent

Recent
Ahh Nice nice. You look pretty fit. =D

I'll be kind of inactive here for a week... gots some work to do. I'll probably peak my head in here or something though.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Sorry I haven't been on lately,college is taking up a lot of my time.

My workouts are going good,my pecs,back and arms are all showing extra definition these days and the abs are still going nicely.

Maybe Ill put up another pic in a while.

No one else seems to have a progress one though hahaha.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
It's been a while but I got some good gains.

My friend gave me some shoulder workouts because my bench was stuck at 115; so with that and some different types of push ups I can bench 135 now . Squats are at 185 and I can do almost 14~ per set for pull ups.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm slowly but surely getting over my fear of the bar falling on me again, I'm currently lifting 115. Fifteen more pounds and I'll be benching my weight! **** yea!

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I'm slowly but surely getting over my fear of the bar falling on me again, I'm currently lifting 115. Fifteen more pounds and I'll be benching my weight! **** yea!
Make sure you have a spotter if you are unsure whether or not you can handle it. I learned that lesson when I was 11, it was embarrassing, haha. 75 lbs seemed like a lot then.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Even though I've been sick for a couple of weeks and not eating or gymming well, I'd increased by weight! Back in the game... <3

One of these days, I'll bring home my card and list down all of my exercies and stats for all those stat whores.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Lol i feel so lazy. Stage crew has killed my life, sleep patterns, eating habits, and my urge to go to the gym. I lost 4 pounds due to running on empty for the past week. (Especially friday...2 shows running on 6 hours of sleep and 1 meal...definatly NOT good for my health)

EDIT: Though...i did have the urge to play some hardcore DDR this week. DDRSupernova: WORKOUT MODE/Xepher/x2 speed = Fun stuff

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I forgot. I just got the results I wanted thanks to this place. I now look like I have been body building my whole life... well atleast I got some abs yays now the women will want me!!!!!!! Babe magnet here he comes!

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
HALP!!!!

A year ago I got this knee pain while working with UPS on a seasonal job. I was running while delivering boxes, and then my right knee, on the right side, I started feeling immense pain. I could not run anymore.

One year later (today), I can run .75 miles and I have to stop since my knee won't let me go any further. What can I do to stop this pain?

Please help, it's real frustrating to know that my knee gives out before my lungs do.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
HALP!!!!

A year ago I got this knee pain while working with UPS on a seasonal job. I was running while delivering boxes, and then my right knee, on the right side, I started feeling immense pain. I could not run anymore.

One year later (today), I can run .75 miles and I have to stop since my knee won't let me go any further. What can I do to stop this pain?

Please help, it's real frustrating to know that my knee gives out before my lungs do.
I'd see a physical therapist or ask your doctor on your next checkup. Also, invest in a knee brace.

I'd consult with a medical professional before you do anything potentially damaging though.

GOD!

Smash Ace
Lolololololol.. go see a doctor? Why would you ask a bunch of smash players on a forum about a serious health issue?

Sorry I just found this so funny. But seriously though, something like knee problem will probably effect you for the rest of your life. It sounds like it just healed wrong, you should definitely get a professional to look at it.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Lolololololol.. go see a doctor? Why would you ask a bunch of smash players on a forum about a serious health issue?

Sorry I just found this so funny. But seriously though, something like knee problem will probably effect you for the rest of your life. It sounds like it just healed wrong, you should definitely get a professional to look at it.
Not exactly funny ;) but you are right.

Not even a doctor could diagnose what's wrong with your knee online :p
It can have multiple causes, and it may not even be an injury. I wouldn't do heavy running for now.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I also have weird knee/ankle issues.

My left knee gets real sore if I crouch for more than 20 seconds in a row.

Ive destroyed my ankle like 3 times so Its now quite prone to injury.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Yeah I met the doctor, and that evil white b**** told me to buy a new pair of shoes. Like THAT will fix anything! That beezie needs to go back to college.
Actually, she gave you accurate advice. I'm a pre-med student and have a history of foot/leg problems which I share with my mom and that is what I was going to tell you. Make sure your shoes have arch support and fit you properly. I used to have pain in my feet all the time, but I did that and it's gone now (and I'm missing bone in my feet...).

Top Bottom