• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
These negatives turned out to be mitigated, mostly through indirect buffs like nerfs to campable projectiles and the removal of hitstun cancelling. He was also sped up a bit and his traction was increased ever-so-slightly. Plus, some of his nerfs had upsides in improving his combo ability. So, overall, he's a lot more viable this time around. Now, instead of learning to deal with these changes and exploiting his weaknesses, the smash community stomps its feet petulantly and declares him OP.
Probably because getting up to 70% off of a single grab is, in fact, OP.
Also, are you really going to sit here and tell us that R.O.B. has a distinct advantage against Luigi? I lol'd.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Probably because getting up to 70% off of a single grab is, in fact, OP.
This number gets higher every time someone says it. Pretty soon Luigi will be getting 0-deaths off of every grab confirm. Our metagame has come so far....

Seriously though, since when does Luigi get that much off of one grab? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Also, are you really going to sit here and tell us that R.O.B. has a distinct advantage against Luigi?
Yes. Luigi destroys ROB once he gets in, but it's near impossible for Luigi to approach a ROB who's zoning properly. That dair spike is also pretty scary. Like I said, Luigi is very gimpable.

But maybe I was wrong. It's a pretty confusing match-up, with the advantage shifting dramatically depending on the situation. And one slip-up by ROB does lead to hard punishes. Maybe it's just a slight advantage. Hell, maybe the match-up is even. That's just one out of 48 that I listed. A lot of the match-ups that I listed as negative, most of them really, are simply undeniably bad which, I assume, is why you neglected to mention them. You also failed to address just about anything I said. Luigi has a lot of weaknesses, and an underwhelming MU spread. If Luigi is over-powered then what's Sheik?

You can't just look at a character's abilities in isolation and decide how good they are. You have to see how they fare against the rest of the cast. Luigi is not over-powered. Because he doesn't have the match-up spread of an over-powered character. That much is undeniable.

You legitimately laughed out loud? I doubt it.

Last edited:

HerpFish

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerpFish
3DS FC
1220-9235-4974
+Bowser Jr.: Is he very tournament viable? No. 11th from the end? Definitely not. (Hopefully not too much bias there)

+Olimar: He just seems too low.

+Lucas: Nair.

+R.O.B.: Outspaces you from a distances, hits hard up close.

-Ness: I love Ness, I think he's great in this game, but not fourth best.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
-1 Kirby (how did he get up there in the first place?)

+1 Falco (Thx Sakurai)

-1 Zero Suit Samus

+1 Villager (yes I know this is customs off)

Can't come up with a fifth vote yet this list ain't half bad.

Liduri

Smash Cadet
:4ness: -1 (not top 4) yes top 6-10.
:4kirby:-1
:4link:+1 (wtf is he doing with ganon and jiggly?)
:4megaman:+1
:4marth:+1 (bit buffed)

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
-1 :4robinf:, zero mobility, awful grab, dead zone in her face...you can make a grocery list of why this character is bottom tier. maybe bottom 3
-1 :4ness:, no matter how strong he is top 4 isn't where he belongs
+1 :4littlemac:
-1 :4kirby:
+1 :4bowserjr:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
+1 :4dedede:: His awesome edgeguarding, air game, longevity, disjoints, and stage control do not warrant a bottom tier placement.
+1 :4luigi:: Might as well be top tier along with Sheik, Rosalina, and Pikachu.
+1:4bowserjr:: I feel like he's just as good as, if not better than most of the people in the tier above him.
+1:4feroy:: Still think he's definitely among some of the best characters in the game.
-1:4myfriends:: His moves are a bit faster, but should he really be there?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
1: :4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu:

2: :4luigi:

3: :4ness::4zss::4sonic::4yoshi::4fox::4falcon::4mario::4pacman::4ryu::4diddy::4villager:

4: :4feroy::4darkpit::4falco::4greninja::4myfriends::4wario::4peach::4rob::4lucas::4pit::4lucario::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4shulk:

5: :4kirby::4megaman::4olimar::4tlink::4robinf::4duckhunt::4gaw::4wiifit:

6: :4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4charizard::4link::4lucina::4marth::4zelda::4dk::4drmario::4miigun:

7: :4ganondorf::4mewtwo::4miisword::4bowser::4dedede::4palutena::4samus:
+1 :4wario2: Top ten character.
+ 1 :4luigi: He belongs in the same tier as :4sheik:,:rosalina:,and:4pikachu:.
+ 1:4kirby: Wasn't expecting him to fall this far. Feeling a bit guilty now, think I may have started the downvote train :laugh:.
+ 1 :4jigglypuff: She can go up one more tier, but that's as far as she should go.
- 1 :4ryu: He has a bit too many crippling match ups that he can't ever recover from to be there, and I have doubts he's as good as Diddy.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
:4samus: +1: If Esam was able to win with her at CEO, then she is not the worst character in the game.
:4ryu: -1: Not better than Diddy, but still good.
:4darkpit: -1: Always thought Pit was better, even though Nairo won with him.
:4bowser: +1: Why is he so low?
:4falco: -1: Was he really buffed that much?

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
+1 :4luigi: I'd just put him with the other top 3.
+1 :4lucario: All I think holding him back right now is just average neutral and lack of representation. Deserves to be higher I think
+1 :4jigglypuff: IMO she shouldn't be this low
+1 :4kirby: Similar to jigglypuff, don't think he's this low
-1 :4ryu: I don't think I consider him at the same level of Fox, Falcon, ZSS, etc

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Just as a PSA sort of thing, characters aren't really ranked within their tiers yet, so there's actually no need to vote a character down because they're "too high" in their own tier since we'll just have to vote them back up anyway :)

micahclay

Smash Rookie
+1 :4luigi: He is much closer to the Sheik/Rosa/Pika rank than the other ranks.
+1 :4feroy:
+1 :4kirby:
-1 :4ryu:
+1 :4samus: I used to be convinced that she was the worst character in the game, but now I don't see it that way.

Last edited:

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
:4ryu:-1. Top 15 with no results? Nah, I want to see him do something first.
:4pikachu:-1. In a similar vein, Pikachu has practically no results outside of ESAM (who doesn't even win). I still think he's top 8, but not top 3 above other's who HAVE won.
:4link:+1. He's solid after this patch. Not high tier or anything, but not in the bottom 10-15 either. He should be mid tier.
:4marth:+1. Similar to Link, except I see lot's of people in the future exploring Marth because of Melee love.
:4robinm::4robinf:-1. Personally, I like playing Robin, but Robin is easily one of the worst characters right now and I wish people would stop + him/her just to keep Robin out of the bottom tier.

Side notes: I'm satisfied with :4myfriends:in the top 20 right now. He's exactly where I think he belongs.
As for :4feroy:, I'm okay with 16th, but I feel after the hype has settled down he'll be a little lower, but still top 25. I just don't see a reason to play Roy as everything he's good at :4falcon:does better. Same style, same strengths and same weakness. Roy does have more range, but Falcon has solid range too and is just so much faster that it compensates for it all.
While on the subject of Falcon, I'm happy to see him at 10th right now. People always try to put him lower, but the fact is he has more results than Pikachu and Yoshi combined. Yes Falcon has weaknesses, but his strengths are just that good.
I would put +:4lucina: with Marth, but I can only have 5 votes this period.
I absolutely hate:4olimar:, but he should probably move up too.
:4falco: should likely move down as his problems didn't really disappear, but I won't waste a vote on it. He DID get better, but not by as much as people are hyping him. Eventually I hope people easy up on the hype of the beloved bird though.
Looks like :4wiifit:got a bit too many votes last time because she's still bad. She may not be the worst in the game, but she shouldn't be that high either.
As for :4samus:, ESAM definitely impressed, but was that Samus viability OR was it Luigi bad MU, ESAM's high fundamentals or LarryLurr lack of knowledge? I want to wait on this one.
I wanted to rage about :4ganondorf: too, but then I remembered this list was customs off. LOL.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
+1::4samus::4kirby::4megaman::4metaknight:
-1::4luigi:

:4samus: Samus isn't the worst in the game. She's low-tier, sure, but far from the worst. She actually has some positive match-ups. Not a whole lot, but still. Quite a bit better than Zelda.

:4metaknight::4luigi: MK might belong above Luigi in the tier list. He's that underrated, and Luigi is that overrated. MK is RosaLuma's worst MU, and has no hard counters. (Sonic comes the closest, being his only MU worse than -1, but I think the last two patches have mended that.) Luigi is hard countered by two characters and fails to invalidate any others.
:4megaman: Mega Man doesn't like Sheik or Mario, but he has very good MUs overall. He destroys Luigi and Villager; he might well be the worst match-up for both of them. He has some degree of a positive MU against Pikachu, Zero Suit, Yoshi, Sonic, Diddy, Captain Falcon, and Rosa. (Remember when a Mega Man 2-stocked M2K's Rosa? That was great....) He also hard counters King Dedede and Samus, for all it matters.

:4kirby: Kirby is Kirby. Even MU against Sheik. Not a lot of negative MUs. He's good.

Some other notable issues:
:4zelda: Zelda is getting voted up for two reasons: she's a waifu, and Nairo plays her sometimes. This isn't a popularity contest, and Nairo could make any character look viable. Zelda has very few, if any, positive MUs, and she gets countered by a lot of characters. She's a candidate for the worst in the game.
:rosalina:Rosa is not the second best character. The difference between her and Sheik is big. Sheik has barely any even MUs. Rosa has several that are negative. Sheik and MK are around -2. Mega Man and Pikachu are probably -1. Yoshi might be -1 as well. She's top-tier, but I don't think she's the second best. She only has the results that she does because of Dabuz.
:4mario:Mario is probably top-tier. He's a troublesome MU for a lot of characters, but he's versatile enough that Sheik is his only MU that he struggles with significantly.
:4wario2:Wario has crazy air speed and recovery, while also being heavy weight. This makes him hard as hell to kill. At low percents, his fair and neutral b are incredibly difficult to deal with. And his down b is a game changer.

et cetera. There's a lot of issues, basically. I hope this stuff gets sorted out over time. A lot people seem to be voting on a whim, without any reasoning behind their choices.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
1::4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu:

2: :4luigi:

3: :4ness::4zss::4sonic::4yoshi::4fox::4falcon::4mario::4pacman::4ryu::4diddy::4villager:

4: :4feroy::4darkpit::4falco::4greninja::4myfriends::4wario::4peach::4rob::4lucas::4pit::4lucario::4metaknight::4miibrawl::4shulk:

5: :4kirby::4megaman::4olimar::4tlink::4robinf::4duckhunt::4gaw::4wiifit:

6: :4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4charizard::4link::4lucina::4marth::4zelda::4dk::4drmario::4miigun:

7: :4ganondorf::4mewtwo::4miisword::4bowser::4dedede::4palutena::4samus:

+1:4kirby: GREAT throws, GREAT air attacks, GREAT up tilt, GREAT comboing, fairly good specials, good recovery, and good smashes. DOES NOT warrant #30 (Not in a tie btw, it's defitenely 30)

-1:4pacman: Just because 90% of people use either Captain Falcon, Lucas, Roy, Ryu or Pac-man, it doesn't mean he's top 13!!!!!!!

+1:4dedede: LOL bottom 4. That's actually hilarous. He has good weight, great knockback and damage, I think he has good comboing, and has some good attacks

+1:4megaman: #31-33 hahahahah no.

+1:4olimar: Same as Mega Man.

There's A LOT more characters I wanna vote for, but infortentanly I can only vote for 5.

HerpFish

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerpFish
3DS FC
1220-9235-4974
+:4bowserjr: He is better than many of the characters near and above him (them?)
+:4olimar: He is better than lots of the characters above him
+:4darkpit: Offsetting down votes because he and :4pit: are tied due to the current list mechanics
+:4samus: There are at least some results to support her no being dead last
-:4yoshi: I just want some more results. He is good, but I cannot justify his placement at this point

Last edited:

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
+1 Bowser (...HOW is he down here?)
+1 Samus (Underrated, takes patience)
+1 Pit (He should be one slot above DP, not 10 below him)
-1 Ryu (No results whatsoever)
-1 Zelda (Plainly the worst character in the game at this point)

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
:4bowserjr:+1. Probably one of the most underrated characters at this point. Definitely not low tier at all I think. Solidly in the middle with a lot of good tools.
:4samus:+1. Again, a character I think isn't great, but isn't flat out terrible like most think. She has nice combos, a good out of shield option, a great projectile, and a decent combo game. She could use buffs here and there (up smash one was good), but I don't think she's the worst.
:4littlemac:+1. He's overrated by inexperienced players and underrated by skilled ones. Little Mac is so crazily balanced that opinions on him tend to sway a lot in both directions. You absolutely cannot challenge him on the ground without having to grab, it's just impossible. He has insane smash attacks and a smart player will not let you gimp him easily. His state in the air is absolutely terrible and his jumps/recovery are by far the worst, but this isn't enough to bring him down to bottom tier when he's just that good in his advantaged state.
:4miisword:+1. This character has way too many advantages to be bottom tier in my eyes, especially after the recent buffs. He's got good aerials, nice kill power, good range, and a decent projectile game. He's probably the most slept on character at the moment and I think he's only ranked as low as he is because of his reputation. Customs off, I think he's definitely better than Mii Gunner.
:4robinm:-1. I just don't see enough advantages to see him as high as he is now. He's got a nice ranged game and good aerials, but he's too slow to really take advantage of his skills and his tome mechanics kind of hold him back. He requires smart play, but he doesn't have enough good points to put him that high.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
+1 :4kirby:: The reason I upvoted him before was because I didn't want him to drop this low, yet he did.
-1 :4darkpit:: Way too high.
-1 :4gaw:: Even though hes low he is still too high, too laggy.
-1 :4wiifit:: Lolwut, this character is competing for last, way too high.
-1 :4pacman:: Too high, no results.

SamBamBamz

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamBamBamz
3DS FC
0216-1540-8113
+1 :4robinm: Robin is, I feel, an underrated character that doesn't have that many players that use him/ her right. Sure, there's Nairo, but who else in the competetive scene uses Robin? Almost no one else! That's because people do not know how to use him/ her properly, and just want to win tournaments with easy-to-go characters like Sheik and Diddy. Robin needs to be bumped up, and I will personally show, if I must, the potential of Robin.

+1 :4myfriends: He has gained incredible buffs this last patch, and he has great potential. Not the best off-stage game I'll agree, but, who needs that when you don't have hit boxes that do not make any sense whatsoever? Plus, he fights for his friends.

+1 :4kirby: Once a main, always a main since 64. He has tons of combos and can really dish out damage when coming in close. Yeah, I'll agree his approaching is not the best. But when he gets in your face, man, he is IN your face. Plus, he has a great aerial game.

+1 :4mewtwo: Not sure why people think he is so low, personally he should be a little bit higher. Sure, he ain't Sheik, but coming with some great combos and reflectors, he can mess with the projectile spammers. I think because he is the 2nd lightest character in the game, that is why he is placed so low.

-1 :4falco: That ain't Falco.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm sad I can only vote 5 spots, because there's so much wrong.
------------------------------------------------------------
:4pit: +1
-->Please just took him to one step better than :4darkpit:. Everybody knows their only difference makes Pit a bit better in some MU's, so .... It's the "Nairo preffers the :4darkpit:" factor. It's dull.

:4myfriends: -1
Ike's position means completely bull**** and a disrespect for everyone who tried to play Ike, and knows about his limitations.
You can like a character, don't **** up with the tier list. Ike's position is a joke.

:4metaknight: +1
MK is high tier (almost there at least) material.
Almost every top player and people looking at the meta knows it.
Yeah, he have no solid neutral game. But he kills half of the cast at 80% with a follow up from his god-like dash attack.
Plus, he can kill with FTilt if he mess up his setups or edgeguards.

:4diddy: +1
ZeRo crying in twitter make some diference after all...
We got CEO now with 2 Diddy Players getting into Top8.
MVD played solid, it's clear, but Diddy still have god-like neutral game, good setups to kill, nice damage output.
Diddy is safe, and still a top8 (maybe top5) character.

:4dedede: +1
I could voted on Bowser.
I decided to vote prior to higher tiers, but bottom tier is a MESS now.
EVERYONE who agrees with DDD being bottom5 have completely no idea what competitive Smash4 is about.
And I don't think he got there because people voted him down, he just is unpopular.
Nobody wanted to vote him up, and end up like that. D3 have good MU, good combos, good killpower, and is a excelent character for some people train for CP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tier now literally makes me sad because is voted by Smash community and shows most people in Smash community believes :4myfriends:is top20 and :4bowser: is bottom.

NeepKing

Smash Rookie
+1 :4robinm: Has great options, a bit slow lacking mobility, but a good Robin player can make him/her work.
+1 :4feroy: It might be a bit too early to vote on him, but disregarding the fact hes easy to gimp, he has great combos, and kill options.
-1 :4myfriends: I'm an Ike main, and know he has some decent potential, but hes definitely not high tier. He has a horrible recovery,and is super easy to gimp, especially considering :4sheik: is probably the best character. He has pretty good combos but they run out quick since he dishes out a lot of damage. I would consider him about mid-tier.
+1 :4jigglypuff: Isn't the best shes been but has a great rest hit-box, and is good at gimping.
+1 :4fox: Has really good combos, really good approach, really good baiting tools, and a pretty good recovery (except its predictability).

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Bowser +1 - One of the best upBs OoS in the game, many viable kill moves (sideB, dtilt, uair, bair, bthrow, ftilt) aside from his hard-read based ones. Definitely not trash tier.

C.Falcon -1 - One of the worst recoveries in the game due to no hitbox on upB and relatively short distance, gets comboed by everything, everyday and basically no decent tournament results to back him up as a top tier character.

Meta Knight +1 - Highly underrated, brutal kill power, amazing recovery, good range.

Sonic +1 - Ridiculous matchups against over half the roster.

Wii Fit Trainer -1 - The range on her moves is beyond sad, and all her kill moves have hilariously high cooldown, definitely made to be really terrible on purpose, I can't think of another reason as for why WFT was made so awfully terrible.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
To the people talking about pit vs dark pit, remember that they're not ranked within the tiers so they're effectively tied.
Actually, ties are ahown in aplhebitcal order, and Wario is shown higher than Pit. So Dark Pit is actually higher than regular Pit

Top Bottom