• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress SWF Community Voted Tier List - 3.0 COMPLETE

D

Deleted member

:4cloud:+1 It's pretty clear that Cloud is without a doubt top 10 at this point in time. Even with his recovery and poor offstage survivability along with inconistent KOing options without Limit Break being noticeable detriments, he's still a very threatening character to almost everybody on the cast and has been getting very good results. His neutral is one of the best in the game, and his conversions are absolutely unbelievable along with his combo ability, frame data and how well he's able to apply pressure and control space. Limit Cross Slash may be the absolute best KO move in the game.
:4falcon:-1 Falcon is a good character, but not top 15 material. Smash 4 Falcon basically continues the Melee Falcon struggle where he easily beats most mid to low tier characters, but has trouble against the most relevant characters in the meta.. His godawful :4pikachu:and :4sheik: MUs are rather problematic, and he loses to other high tiers such as :4fox:, :4diddy:and :4metaknight:. He even gets beat by/goes even with characters below him like :4kirby: and :4megaman: . More characters are doing better than him at the moment, and it just leads to me to think that Falcon will somewhat fall in relevancy as the meta progresses.
:4bowser:+1 Get the turtle out of tier 7. Even if his up throw was nerfed, it's still effective for racking up damage and the up air kill confirm isn't outright gone, it just has a tighter window that players now need to capitalize on. Flying Slam getting its grabbox increased was also a much needed buff. Even putting those aside, Bowser has a great grab game, good survivability, multiple ways to threaten shield, decent edgeguarding ability and Whirling Fortress is still one of the best tools out of any heavy. His damage output is so much more rewarding than it was before with his new up throw, and it allows him to take stocks quicker even if uthrow -> uair lost most of its versatility in the latest patch.
:4yoshi:-1 Like Falcon... we know he's good. But there's little to prove he's that good besides theorycraft due to his mediocre results. His results at high level are more indicative of a mid-tier character rather than a top 15 one.
:4palutena:+1 I will keep voting up Palutena until people stop being so tunnel-visioned when it comes to her flaws, this character still has a good amount going for her and I hope others will realize that overtime however long it takes.

Probably would've upvoted :4lucina: if I had an extra vote, or downvoted :4lucas:.

thank you daddy Browny Browny

+:4shulk:
+:4ryu:
+:4lucas:
+:4pikachu:

-:4corrin:

I wanted to downvote :4dedede: just to see @Feelicks erupt in a fit of rage but it wasn't worth it
I think Dedede is bottom 5, though. Why would I get mad?

Last edited by a moderator:

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I personally don't think that either of the Pits deserve to be moved up - we just haven't been seeing enough representation for those two characters to justify a boost in the tier list (although in the UK we have PlasticPoptart, but he picked up ZSS to deal with Pit's troubling MUs). I feel like it's because the Pits were designed to be beginner-esque characters for picking up on the game's fundamentals, but the effort to reward ratio increases drastically the higher the level you play at (not to mention that Pit's effort to reward ratio is somewhat contorted, he has a low skill floor but an incredibly high skill ceiling to be played effectively because there is a lot to learn with him).

People don't play Pit because there are simpler yet more effective characters with a more inverse effort to reward ratio because they benefit from quite frankly, stupid things (cough, Cloud). I wouldn't say that Cloud has invalidated the sword fighters in the game, because they have their incremental niche benefits that potentially would pull people towards them. However, he is a potent character in general because of his amazing frame data, exceptional range, solid normals and bonkers aerials. Then you got down-b Limit, a move that forces an approach in itself, and Limit side-b, arguably the best move in the game (good shield damage, safe on block, comes out on frame 10 with intangibility starting from frame 6, kill confirms off a n-air, large hitbox means that it can cover options in neutral or in disadvantage, kills at around 70, virtually no endlag [has like what, 20 or so frames of endlag?]...).

If you're looking for a swordfighter and you want to win, then there's no other point in picking a character other than Cloud. Also not to mention that his results have been fantastic, so there's no doubt that he's a top 5 threat.

:4cloud: +1

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can councur that Cloud hasn't invalidated the rest of the swordfighters. The only irrelevant swordies right now are :4feroy: and :4shulk:, I would've included :4link: too in that group but he has more going for him than either characters plus him placing top 12 at BEAST 6 was nice. Even with that said, Roy and Shulk didn't go into obscurity because of Cloud, it's just because people realized overtime they suck lol

David Viran

Smash Lord
Cloud may not directly invalidate all the other swords man but he has everything the other swords men want/need and more. I heard before that he's like brawl Marth but on steroids and I honestly have to agree.

D

Deleted member 269706

+:4ryu: Ridiculously powerful character, great combo game, kill confirms, spikes, shield breaker, infinites, focus attack, and a frame one invincible move that kills most of the cast around 75%...This character is obviously top 10, and I think you could argue for top 5.
+:4pikachu: Amazing neutral game, very fast, several great set-ups, and overall a lot of potential. I think Pika should be above Mario, Ness, and MK for sure.
-:4bayonetta: Very good character, but I don't see her being top 5. Probably top 10, but once people start to figure out her weaknesses I'm almost 100% sure she won't be considered top 5.
+:4bowser: No reason for him to be this low. Would place him above Link, Falco, and Marth.
-:4samus: Same tier, lower placement.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Dude its 2016, you're gonna hear the "something is totally gay" **** all the time(wrestling, kid shows, video games; you can't escape it)

i'm really curious as to why you think this justifies it, because this is actually garbage logic

you can apply this to anything deriding on a minority

"dude, its 1960, you're going to get discriminated for being black anywhere (on TV, on the bus, in a court of law; you can't escape it)"

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
i'm really curious as to why you think this justifies it, because this is actually garbage logic

"dude, its 1960, you're going to get discriminated for being black anywhere (on TV, on the bus, in a court of law; you can't escape it)"
As much as I agree with you there, can we at least take the topic over somewhere else?

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
+1
:4cloud:
:4pikachu:
:4ryu:
:4lucas:

The first 3 characters are insanely good, certainly top 10 or top 15 (and somewhere near the middle)
:4falcon: Not as good as many make him out to be. An improvement from Brawl, but he lacks a lot of the magic that made Melee Falcon such a threat.
:4lucina: Watered-down Marth with all of Marth's new flaws.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
+1
:4cloud:
:4pikachu:
:4ryu:
:4lucas:

The first 3 characters are insanely good, certainly top 10 or top 15 (and somewhere near the middle)
:4falcon: Not as good as many make him out to be. An improvement from Brawl, but he lacks a lot of the magic that made Melee Falcon such a threat.
:4lucina: Watered-down Marth with all of Marth's new flaws.
You're only allowed five votes

D

Deleted member 269706

Even though he was worse results and representation than all of them, along with an inferior punish game?
I'm not trying to start a fight here, but that's how I feel. Maybe he didn't do as hot as those characters, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to someday. If we were basing the tier list exclusively off of results and representation I feel it would look very different. Potential is an aspect that I've chosen to include in my reasoning. You're free to disagree with me, but I'm going to ask you to respect my opinions.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

You just answered your own question...partially...not really, but here's why:

The internet is honestly filled with alot of idiots and hypocritical trolls who, if they can't win an argument, use words like gay and scrub to feel like they're winners. Yes you can apply it to anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't true; and did you just use the black card? Blacks were discriminated everywhere because of segregation(true sadly), just like those who are not straight were always discriminated because they likes the same sex as themselves(for a long ass time nonetheless), or Arabians are bad thanks to terrorist attacks(which isn't even close).

Back yourself up because it's an argument...that's gonna be dead anyways; plus my comment wasn't even that serious of an answer, yet you still replied(I'm laughing like the Joker in this comment...HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA...because of the Batman/DC feels atm)

On more serious(ish)news, where in the blue hell is Xandercosm Xandercosm ?

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Would I be allowed another vote, then? I would assume I can upvote/downvote another character if that's the case.
Only if you edit your last post to pair Pit and Dark Pit together, counting as only 1 vote; then you can add an actual 5th vote.

Routa

Smash Lord
Not sure if people just don't remember that Miis are Guest XXXX or if they just lack any kind of knowledge about Miis. Oh well...
+:4miisword:
+:4miigun:
+:4miibrawl:
+:4diddy:
+:4cloud2:

RedAhmed

Smash Rookie
NNID
RedAhmed
3DS FC
4339-2569-6938
+ :4corrin: There is a lot of potential here, lots of tools to use. Corrin is also a really fun character for me to use. I've also seen some good stuff coming from good players with Corrin.
+ :4feroy: Roy is underappreciated. He's a solid character, and a true killer! I main Roy, but I'm not good with him, but I've seen many good stuff happening when Roy is in good hands.
+ :4ryu: Ryu is a beast, hard to master but really good when the right player uses him.
+:4mewtwo:Also underappreciated. Mewtwo has lots of flaws, but he can also do some great stuff. Someone who can read opponents and punish would be a great Mewtwo player.
- :4lucina: This is just based on personal experience, but I just see Lucina as an inferior Marth. I have never played a good Lucina player, and I don't see many wanting to play her besides as a fun character.

Everything I've said could be totally wrong though, but this is how I think about these characters. I'd also give points to Cloud and Pikachu, but they're obvious picks imo.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Fun Fact:Bowser's buffs didn't magicially remove all his issues. Instead, it removed one of many issues.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
1: :4sheik::4zss:
2::rosalina::4bayonetta:
3::4diddy::4sonic::4fox::4metaknight::4mario::4ness::4ryu::4pikachu::4villager::4cloud:
4::4corrin::4yoshi::4falcon::4greninja::4wario:
5::4tlink::4myfriends:(:4darkpit::4pit:):4peach::4luigi::4lucario::4pacman::4rob::4dk:
6::4mewtwo::4olimar::4lucas::4gaw::4kirby::4marth::4miigun::4falco::4miibrawl::4link::4megaman::4robinf::4wiifit::4littlemac::4miisword::4lucina::4feroy:
7::4bowser::4samus::4shulk::4bowserjr::4drmario::4charizard::4palutena:
8::4duckhunt::4dedede:
9::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff:

+1:4luigi:
+1:4rob:
+1:4pit:/:4darkpit:
+1:4peach:
+1:4mewtwo:

Would have cleared out tier 6 more but that can wait.

D

Deleted member

Why are people still downvoting Lucina when she's much closer in viability to Marth than she ever was in the past?

Top Bottom