• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I'm so excited for this, and for no good reason.

I really don't have an ear for music, so I generally shy away from judging such things.

Continuing the glorious musicals list, I recommend "Thrill Me."

bluezaft

The True Zaft
The story of Sweeney Todd was a legend, starting in the 19th century.

The Broadway musical of Sweeney Todd, which this movie is an adaptation of, was written in 1979.

Edward Scissorhands was made in 1990.

Try again.
But Edward Scissorhands and Sweeney Todd have so very much in common! For example, they both hold sharp objects.

And many others, maybe! Yes, notftomearth7 clearly knows what he's talking about. Did you know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a Corpse Bride ripoff? It's true, look at the facts.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
And many others, maybe! Yes, notftomearth7 clearly knows what he's talking about. Did you know Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a Corpse Bride ripoff? It's true, look at the facts.
You've got a point, there. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory totally copied Corpse Bride by having Tim Burton direct it.

And Sweeney Todd is also ripping off Corpse Bride by having Helena Bonham Carter in it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Saw a preview for this tonight during Tin Man, and it creeped me the hell out, much like Edward Scissorhands used to when I was a kid. I have to say I'm interested in it now, and will definitely be seeing it in theaters.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The fact that this movie is coming out on Friday means this thread deserves a bump.

Also, it's received 4 Golden Globe nominations:
* Best Picture, Musical or Comedy
* Best Actor, Musical or Comedy -- Johnny Depp
* Best Actress, Musical or Comedy -- Helena Bonham Carter
* Best Director -- Tim Burton

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Got four stars by People's Magazine (I don't read it, my mom pointed it out). My expectations have risen, but I still don't like Depp's voice that much from the vids on youtube you linked us too.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from seeing a midnight showing of this film. I really liked it. Its not one of Burton's best films, but its really great to watch, and listen.

About Johnny Depp. I will say, he was excellent in this. Some people might not be happy about him not giving a big opera-type performance that George Hearn did, but I really didn't care. Johnny's voice was terrific. Johnny Depp singing Epiphany was great (since all the clips of it on the internet always had bad audio quality). Surprising, Helena's voice didn't disturb me as much as I thought. Johanna however, think Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, that's the voice you're going to hear.

I'd talk more about the film, but its 3 in the morning now.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My town only shows midnight movies on Fridays and Saturdays. :(

Good to hear that you're okay with it. I might have a seizure since there's no ensemble whatsoever, and I might start singing to the music when I'm in there, but it should be good. :)

I'm seeing it tomorrow night. Darn work.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Interesting.
I may well give this a peek. The movie poster makes it look rather dark, and true to the original work, so that means it's probably my kind of movie through and through.

Plus it's Tim Burton's work, (:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) how can I NOT want to see it?
Though I do doubt Johnny Depp...
Dunno why. :(

Mario27

Smash Lord
i just got back from seeing this about two hours ago.

for the majority of it, it follows the same storyline in the musical. if you are truly a fan of "sweeney," then you will pick up on some of the lyric changes and plotlines. then again, there are usually changes in movie musicals than the regular stage versions. (i.e. hairspray, little shop of horrors, the producers)

but all in all, being a theatre major and musical buff myself, i really enjoyed this movie and everyone fit their part. helena bonham carter, may not be close to being angela lansbury's mrs. lovett, but i thought she did a great job. alan rickman and sacha baron cohen, in my opinion, were dead on in this movie. i never knew sacha could sing the way he does.

but enough of my blabber, if you are interested in musicals or theatre, i do recommend this movie for you. and there is a preview for "mamma mia!' in it!

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Saw this a few days ago. Good, but not great.

The atmosphere is truly stunning. Burton sets the mood perfectly and doesn't relinquish it for a second. The only problem is is that this is exactly what you'd expect from Tim Burton. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Burton's so good at making these dark movies that it doesn't seem like he really tries anymore. Everything in this movie has been seen before in Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuiece, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, etc. He just makes some of his trademark sets, makes everyone look like skeletons, and calls it a day. This is still a good movie, and it'll probably get nominated for a ton of awards, I just wish Burton would step out of his comfort zone and really challenge himself.

I want to see more films like Ed Wood and Big Fish. We know you can make things look scary Burton. Give it a rest already!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My town isn't getting this movie until January 11th. I'll kill some people.

Demon, though I can agree with you halfway, you've gatta remember-- he didn't write this movie. He directed, and stage-to-screen adapted it. There's no better person on god's green earth to direct and adapt Sweeney Todd than Tim Burton. If it was one of his original works-- like Edward Scissorhands, which is creepy in an entirely different way, then I'd agree with you.

Don't hate the movie because it was directed the way it should've been. :p

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Burton has challenged himself in the past before, and the two films where he really went out of his way to do something he didn't usually do, he got smashed by critics and moviegoers alike (Planet of the Apes, Mars Attacks). Also, Ed Wood very much felt like a lot of Tim Burton's older stuff, and looked a lot like it too.

Also, the last three Burton films (Big Fish, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Corpse Bride) have had a more family friendly tone to them, so he doesn't keep pumping out films with the same styles and tones.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
But all of these movies:
Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuiece, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, etc.
(plus Nightmare Before Xmas, Corpse Bride, Sweeney...)

are better than either of these movies:
Ed Wood and Big Fish
(plus Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I guess)

I'd rather see an incredible movie than enjoy the fact that Tim Burton is challenging himself.

Xsyven is right, this is a musical that needed to be made into a movie and no one could do it better than Burton. I really liked the movie.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Ed Wood was definitely better than Beetle Juice, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, the Nightmare Before Christmas, and Edward Scissorhands.

Big Fish was another really good one, but not better than all of those in the list.

Tim Burton will be challenging himself with his next film, saying that it will all be shot using motion capture. (So they say.)

I still enjoyed Sweeney Todd. I've seen it twice already (both around midnight). I'll see it again eventually.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
But all of these movies:
Sleepy Hollow, Beetlejuice, Edward scissorhands
(plus Nightmare Before Xmas, Corpse Bride, Sweeney...)

are better than either of these movies: Sweeney Todd, Big Fish
(plus Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I guess)
I agree on some things, but Corpse Bride and Sleep Hollow better than Ed Wood? I don't think the others are as good as Ed Wood, but they're right up there, especially Edward Scissorhands and Nightmare Before Xmas, those are AS good as Ed Wood.

After seeing the movie, all my fears were put to rest, it's truly terrific. I got use to Johnny's voice throught the film, but he's definenetely a better actor as Sweeney than a singer as Sweeney. Burton and Depp, you deserve those Golden Globes.

Honestly, I'm glad to see this topic isn't over-run by eight-grade-emo and Hot Topic fanboys.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'm glad to see this topic isn't over-run by eight-grade-emo and Hot Topic fanboys.
And i'm not glad because someone has finally posted that **** stereotype. The reason this board hasn't been overrun by "eight-grade-emo and Hot Topic fanboys," is because that's just a stupid stereotype created by Tim Burton haters. Also, I go to Hot Topic all the time. I have a whole lot of things from Hot Topic in my room. Am i an "eight-grade-emo," or "Hot Topic fanboy?"

I have friends who are emos, friends who are goths, and I hate seeing them used in a negative way.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
They'd be better friends if they weren't emos and goths, and this is a fact. :p

I just saw Big Fish today. It was good, but I was expecting it to be something it wasn't. As a result I was severely dissapointed by the overall work. Meh. I think I would have enjoyed the movie a whole lot more if I had never seen the previews from a couple of years ago which burned into my mind.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Freaking awesome movie. Depp really has a nice range as a singer as does Alan Rickman.

Must see movie, in my opinion.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I'm not a fan of musicals or dark movies in general, but I loved this movie. If you are a person that can appreciate talent and/or an excellent movie, definitely see this.

Depp is one of the greatest performers/actors of our time.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I agree with everything that's been said here. I know Tim Burton didn't write the film, and that it's supposed to be dark. My problem is that it just seems so safe.

But it's based off a musical, so there isn't too much they could have done with it. I'll probably like it better the second time I see it anyway. But my initial reaction is whatever.

Again, this movie is good, but it's no Big Fish (which I still say is Burton's best movie).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My friends and I are driving two hours just to see this. But the fact that we're driving to Las Vegas means that we'll have fun before and after the movie, too. :D

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
And i'm not glad because someone has finally posted that **** stereotype.
It's not a sterotype if they actually exist. Did I ever say everyone who enjoys Tim Burton is wannabe emo? And when I said "Hot Topic" fanboys, I don't mean people who shop there (I'm wearing a Metroid Prime 3 shirt I bought there), I mean the people who think they're actually punk/rebellious/non-conformist. I meant people who are "OMG! Tim Burton is teh most original and bestest director ever! Edward Scissorhands is soooo hawt I wanna marry him!". Those people exist, deal with it.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
No, you just stated that you're talking about people who say things like, "OMG! Tim Burton is teh most original and bestest director ever! Edward Scissorhands is soooo hawt I wanna marry him!" That can be any ****ing person on the planet, some five year old brain-dead schoolgirl. Some drunken *******. Anyone will say that ****. I say Tim Burton is one of the "bestest" directors out there today, and according to you, you say people who say that kind of **** are "eight-grade-emo or Hot Topic fanboys."

"Its not a stereotype if it actual exist." .......HUH!!!??? Generally every stereotype is existent. Name a stereotype, and I bet there are many people who fall under that stereotype.

Sharky

Smash Master
great movie, great musical =D

trouble is I'm supposed to be trying to get my lines down for another musical and I'm just singing this all the time =P

Sweeney could have had a deeper voice, and they cut my favorite part out of "A Little Priest," but I still like it =D

Makaveli X

Smash Cadet
It was a good movie, I'm a big fan of Johnny Depp. I think he takes each role he plays and perfects it. He's an incredible actor. However, I'm not a big fan of musicals, which was the ONLY thing that turned me off from this movie, but it was still good.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
ALRIGHT. I saw it last night, and I was happy with it! It's weird seeing it on film, though. There are a few things that I'm mad didn't make it to the on screen version.

-They took out the factory whistle. Bad, bad, bad. It would sound every time Sweeney slit a neck. (Except during the Johanna trio.)

-I'm really mad that there wasn't any ensemble music at all. There are some songs from the musical, like the first and last songs, and every scene transition, that I can see why they cut out. But Pirelli's Miracle Elixer, and God That's Good realllly needed the ensemble. They were the most complicated songs in the show, and it was sad to see them dumbed down.

Pirelli's Miracle Elixer - Original Broadway Cast. Fast forward to 4:50.
God That's Good - Original Broadway Cast.

It's weird that these two songs are two of the longest songs in the stage version, but two of the shortest in the movie version. But then again, they're almost too happy for the movie. :p

-
I really wanted more Lucy. There was a song she sang on the stage version, before Sweeney Todd barges in and discovers her in his parlor. It's one of my favoite songs. What sucks in the movie, is that there's not enough time for us to feel sorry for her before her neck is slit.

This song is a spoiler, about the above text. This is from the 'In Concert' version.

-Fogg's Asylum was weird, but I liked what they did with it. Originally, the lunatics are supposed to escape, and run amongst the city, singing CITY ON FIRE! I can see why they cut that, but I miss it.

Fogg's Asylum - Original Broadway Cast. It starts at 1:30, with the transition music. I actually don't like how they did it in this version. Fogg's asylum that my college did was awesome.

-At the end of the musical, Toby
is supposed to lose his mind. His hair is supposed to change pure white, and he emerges from the dark, singing patty cake. He then finds the razor, plays with it for a bit, and then slits Todd's neck. After he does, Anthony, Johanna, and some police officers barge in, and see Toby with the razor, and tons of dead people. He gets pinned for everything.
In the movie, he just seems mildly angry,
quickly slits the neck
, then walks away.

Ending Sequence - Original Broadway Cast Major spoilers.

Honestly, I loved almost everything about the movie. I just missed a few tidbits.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^
Honestly, I thought Burton's idea to make Toby a 10 year old was BRILLIANT! It was so much much dramatic at the conclusion with the little kid...

I just saw Sweeney on Friday. My mind was blown. It was the best film I've seen in the past year and the music was outstanding! I bought the soundtrack same day!

Also, who thought By the Sea was superbly done?

I should also probably mention that I played Sweeney Todd in my school's production last year, haha...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I didn't say that I wanted Toby any older. He was a great actor, and had a great voice. I just don't like how they cut his lines at the end.

FrogButler

Smash Journeyman
^
The only reason for the cuts I believe were because Toby's motivation in the movie is almost completely different than in the play.

In the film, it is because Lovett was his "mum" and he was revenging her.

In the play, it was just strange that within a matter of 10 minutes, he grew white hair and went nuts.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I've wanted to see this for quite awhile and probably will once I return. I may or may not post my feeings towards the piece of art.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
^
The only reason for the cuts I believe were because Toby's motivation in the movie is almost completely different than in the play.

In the film, it is because Lovett was his "mum" and he was revenging her.

In the play, it was just strange that within a matter of 10 minutes, he grew white hair and went nuts.
How is it strange for a ten year old boy to lose his mind
after seeing a dead body be dropped from the ceiling, watching its brains fly out, then watching the closest thing he's ever had to a mother be burned alive by the one man he truly fears?

Sure, he
was avenging her
, but honestly, he didn't even see that mad. Just a bit angry. He should have had
a look of pleasure on his face, or something. Maybe a slow, painful slice to the throat
or something. It just bugs me that it was one of the most powerful moments in the whole play, and it was severely toned down in the movies.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
I felt that the image they left it at in the movie was much better to end with than Toby grinding meat, saying smoothly over and over again. The way Xsyven suggested
with the slow cut thing and taking pleasure makes it seem like kid is enjoying this. Like its a fun thing. I don't think Toby was like that. He doesn't seem like a sadistic character to me, even though Sweeney killed Lovett, I don't think he killed Sweeney to satisfy himself. I think he did it, because he knew it was the right thing to do. He probably did not enjoy it.

Anyway, I want that ending image. I want that for my desktop background. I want that to be my myspace background.

Of course, this is a film about Sweeney, and I think it would have been wrong to end it with Toby having more lines. It was okay in the musical because it cuts to an ending ballad after that where Sweeney sings more, and the whole cast sings the last part together (and then the big door slam and applause and whatnot). However, this film had to end on Sweeney, and there's no ballad after it.

What really would have sold it is if the door slammed as the camera pulled out. Camera pulls out the baking room, door slams, cut to black. That would have been good.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Another thing that I noticed was that Mrs. Lovett's character wasn't the amazing, awesome part that it is in the musical. In the original broadway cast, Mrs. Lovett actually got the last bow, and is considered the main character. I could tell that they wanted it to be about Sweeney Todd this time around. Helena's comedic lines were badly delivered, and she really didn't seem like she was trying to be funny, either.

I liked the change. :)

Top Bottom