• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer

If you're well taught in the world of theater, you shoud be familiar with this upcoming movie.

This winter, directed by Tim Burton, and starring Johnny Depp (big surprise), comes the stage-to-screen movie adaptation of Sondheim's award winning musical, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

Since I'm too lazy to write a synopsis, I'll steal it from the official Sweeney Todd website, www.SweeneyToddMovie.com:

www.SweeneyToddMovie.com said:
Synopsis: Johnny Depp and Tim Burton join forces again in a big-screen adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's award-winning musical thriller "Sweeney Todd." Depp stars in the title role as a man unjustly sent to prison who vows revenge, not only for that cruel punishment, but for the devastating consequences of what happened to his wife and daughter. When he returns to reopen his barber shop, Sweeney Todd becomes the Demon Barber of Fleet Street who "shaved the heads of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard from again." Joining Depp is Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett, Sweeney's amorous accomplice, who creates diabolical meat pies. The cast also includes Alan Rickman, who portrays the evil Judge Turpin, who sends Sweeney to prison and Timothy Spall as the Judge's wicked associate Beadle Bamford and Sacha Baron Cohen is a rival barber, the flamboyant Signor Adolfo Pirelli.
Me, being the drama nerd that I am, pretty much cry every time I glance at this movie poster. For some reason, directors always seem to do a good job when making movies based off musicals.

The poster is gray and red. Red velvet on the chair, for where Sweeney will "drip rubies", and red light coming from below the floorboards, where Mrs. Lovett's meat pies are most lkely being baked. In the background, you'll see a window with good ol' foggy London, a whole lot of emptyness, and a family portrait-- of Lucy and Johanna.

This movie is due out, as the poster states, Christmas time this year.

Xsyven approved, and highly recommended.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It says on the movie poster, "The Demon Barber of Fleet Street".

But yeah... he slits the necks of his barber shop patrons, then bakes them into pies.

He's my favorite evil protagonists of all time. It just kind of freaks me out that we'll hear Johnny Depp singing.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Is the movie going to be a musical then? Even though Sweeney Todd is one of the like three musicals I actually like, I think they could make it really cool as just a movie.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's Stephen Sondheim!

I'm 100% happy that it's a musical, but yeah, I can agree. They really could make an awesome movie without the whole singing thing.

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Its Tim Burton... that's all that needs to be said. If his name is one it, that's enough to make me watch.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was great, by the way...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Alright, looks like there are some cool updates headed our way for Sweeney Todd. First good update:

Originally, it was supposed to be released to major cities December 21st, then released nationwide on January 11th. Dreamworks has confirmed that Sweeney Todd has alll the hype it needs now, and will open nationwide on Dec 21st!

Another rumor that's been going around is that this musical (about a barber slitting the necks of his patrons as he shaved them, then sold their bodies to his neighbor to bake their meat into pies) was going to be reduced to a not-so-violent PG-13. Turns out, that it was just a rumor, and it will in fact be a hard rated R.

So there's lots of blood for all you fans of gore out thur.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Duh. It's a musical. Here are some of the song highlights from previous recordings:

Sweeney Todd intro from the 1982 broadway recording:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ncvaAIeEDA

"Worst Pies in London," 1982 broadway recording:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8r_jc8_P8X0

This is one of the most upbeat song in the whole show. This is about the third song in the musical, before it gets completely dark.

"My Friends," 2001, San Fransisco Symphony Orchestra's Sweeney Todd in Concert:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5-vXOgrbM&mode=related&search=

This is where Mrs. Lovett gives him the idea of going back to being a barber... and he gets emotional. Later in this video, you'll see the introduction of Sweeney's daughter Johanna, and Anthony's love at first sight moment.

Meh. The whole musical is actually on google video if you want to watch it.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The whole actors playing the instruments thing is pretty exclusive to the broadway revival. I'm sure some places have mimicked that, though.

With this one, I wouldn't be surprised if they added a bit of extra story. Probably more backstory of Benjamin Barker's life prior to becoming Sweeney Todd, and his false trial and life sentence.

Also, my college is doing this musical this winter! I'm in it, too! I have 5 whole lines and everything! I'll post some pictures of us once we get into dress rehearsals this November.

Anyway, what Kirby King was saying:

Sweeney Todd Revival cast performing at the 60th Tony Awards:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4iLKi_8pnz8

They do a medley from one song to the other, and in this one, the actors are playing the instruments.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Apologies for the double post, but the movie's official website has launched!

www.SweeneyToddMovie.com

Nothing really exciting is on the website quite yet. Just wallpaper and AIM icons-- but there is an option to register for updates via email.

Though the turnout in this thread seems dismal, I'm sure that once the trailers come out, a lot more people will be interested. :p

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
**** you! I wanted to be the one to post it... Anyway, I thought that trailer looked kick ***, and Johnny singing.... he doesn't sound like a broadway performer, but still.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
**** you! I wanted to be the one to post it... Anyway, I thought that trailer looked kick ***, and Johnny singing.... he doesn't sound like a broadway performer, but still.
I think the trailer is a bit stereotypical/boring until about halway through, until he starts singing.

But the rest, omg, is awesome. It's also awesome that I'm in the play right now, so every scene it shows, I know what's going on. It's good stuff.

Johnny's voice isn't amazing. In fact, I'm sure I'll be underwhelmed. But he's just so badass that it's amazing. I don't know-- maybe once I see it, and hear more, his voice will work out.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I need to see this, not only because it's Sweeney Todd, but to see if if Johnny Depp and Tim Burton can still make magic. I'm beginning to have doubts about them together after Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Why can't every Depp/Burton movie be Ed Wood or Edward Scissorhands?

ZM2004

Smash Journeyman
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride were both great films. In fact, there has yet to be a Burton/Depp collaboration that was not good.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I'm really looking forward to this. I had the chance to see the musical earlier this year, and I enjoyed it greatly :)

Depp + Dark Movies = Success?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm beginning to have doubts about them together after Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

I never saw Corpse Bride, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was ... really good. You might have been disappointed comparing it to the book and/or old movie, but watch it again.

Sure, it's no Ed movie, but it's still good.

This movie looks so bloody weird that I really can't tell if it's going to be amazing or god awful .
It's a badass musical, which itself is an oxymoron. I think the story is amazing, and the music is amaaaazing. It's really tough stuff. I'm in the middle of rehearsals for the musical right now, actually.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
I need to see this, not only because it's Sweeney Todd, but to see if if Johnny Depp and Tim Burton can still make magic. I'm beginning to have doubts about them together after Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Agreed. Those movies were terrible.

But Burton can still make great films (Big Fish wasn't released that long ago), so I'm still excited about this movie!

Another movie where the Burton/Depp formula didn't work: Sleepy Hollow.

BZONG

Smash Cadet
Not a fan of the whole singing thing. It still looks good though. It's cool that it is a rated R too.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I played Sweeney a few years ago, and I'm very interested in how Depp's interpretation will play out; I don't really picture him having a deep enough voice to carry it as intended...

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm doing Sweeney right now. I hate our Sweeney, so much. :(

Sweeney's role isn't THAT bass-ish. Barber and his Wife is the lowest he goes, right? Either way, supposedly Sondheim heard the music, and said that he liked what he heard. That's good news, at least.

Darnkessofheart, do you have any pictures of your production? I want to see your guys' interperatation of it.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
I personally don't have any; I did it while I was on vacation in Chicago so my parents weren't there to be photog gypsies.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
You did an entire production of Sweeney Todd while you were on vacation? o_o"

I'd consider that to be a "when you lived in Chicago" sort of thing.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I don't find Todd's voice all that bad, actually. It's not very fitting for a musical, but it's not that bad. Listen to it again and imagine it as just a song, it's pretty good.

I like Musicals, so I'm going to be seeing this. I agree, though, that the voices are rather substandard for a musical, but eh. If it's good.

After listening to two different versions of Pirelli on youtube, then that one, I actually think it's good. Though I have no background in theatre or musicals besides the ones that come to movies, Spam Alot, or Bat Boy, so I can't really judge voices beyond the basic sound.

Oh, if you can suggest the next production for your college, suggest Bat Boy. It's amazing. If you look for it on the internet, it'll probably come off as weird (it is), but it really is great. You can look at it on the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_Boy:_The_Musical). Also, if anyone has it playing by you, see it.

Man, I have to look for more musicals.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
If you're looking for other incredible musicals, try Legally Blonde and Reefer Madness ;)

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I don't find Todd's voice all that bad, actually. It's not very fitting for a musical, but it's not that bad. Listen to it again and imagine it as just a song, it's pretty good.

After listening to two different versions of Pirelli on youtube, then that one, I actually think it's good. Though I have no background in theatre or musicals besides the ones that come to movies, Spam Alot, or Bat Boy, so I can't really judge voices beyond the basic sound.
Todd's voice is extremely so-so in my book. It sounds really good for some of his songs, but in others, it just doesn't work out.

I really don't like this Borat Pirelli. The character of Pirelli is loud, pompous, and flamboyant, and as such, has the most operatic part in the entire musical. Borat (I forgot his real name), from what I can tell, turned his song into a subtle, staccato, and disgustingly emotionless piece. Thank goodness he only has one.

Another person I'm afraid of is Mrs. Lovett. She's my favorite character in this play, and as much as I love Helena Bohnam Carter, I'm afraid of the outcome. She seems so... emotionless. Hopefully, all this lack of energy goes along with the film. Interviews with the actors have claimed that this whole movie has been "Burtonized." Let's just hope that Carter wasn't cast as Mrs. Lovett just because she herself is being Burtonized every night.

Grah. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. My opinions of all the lead characters are spread out.

Like:
Judge Turpin
Johanna Barker
Tobias Ragg

Neutral:
Sweeney Todd
Anthony Hope

Dislike:
Nellie Lovett
Adolfo Pirelli

Haven't heard enough of the beggar woman to make a good decision yet. Same with Beadle Bamford.

DaRkNeSsOfHeArT said:
If you're looking for other incredible musicals, try Legally Blonde and Reefer Madness
Oh, snap. Reefer Madness is probably one of the best moviecals I've ever seen. And there were even these two idiots, who I loathe, talking during it the entire time. I'd highly reccomend watching it for a great laugh.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
www.sweeneytoddmovie.com has had it's official launch, with a surprising amount of music from the movie.

Helena Bonham Carter isn't as bad as I feared, but she still isn't my favorite. Anthony has terrible vocal technique when it comes to vowels, but he has a good sounding voice other than that.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Apparently there are a lot of these songs on youtube. I'm enjoying them enough, I agree that the singing isn't top-notch, but it's good enough for me.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
*coughs* Edward Scissorhands ripoff *coughs*
The story of Sweeney Todd was a legend, starting in the 19th century.

The Broadway musical of Sweeney Todd, which this movie is an adaptation of, was written in 1979.

Edward Scissorhands was made in 1990.

Try again.

Top Bottom