• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm worried about the possible turnout of Pokémon GO! I have a feeling it'll be a big micro-transactions game as most mobile games fall victim too, especially looking at the recent free-to-start Pokémon games on the Nintendo 3DS.

Chrono.

This is not necessarily true. We don't know who the top five for NA were.
No, but we can infer from Sakurai's wording that the top 5 were likely characters like Kratos (unnegotionable 3rd parties) or Darth Vader (non-video game characters).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's soemthing driving me mad. I don't know which particular game the Chocobo theme in the Mii Costume wave 5 trailer comes from. I tried looking at the themes from the main numbered games but none of them fit.

Any ideas?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The more I research of Bayonetta, the more I am OK with her.

I had three parts to this in mind, but it took me a couple of hours of struggling with a laptop touchpad to make this wobbly indistinct thing, so. . .enjoy.

Just saying, it seems like the kind of interaction they'd have.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
None of the veteran characters managed to crack the top 5 in the NA and EU polls. Wolf was not a Shoo-in
First of all, we don't know this for certain - we can only conjecture. Even then, what basis can we go on from this?

What doesn't help Wolf's case is that I think most would have assumed he would have returned (since Lucas did) hence a lack of people bothering to vote. Even then, I don't think Wolf would have been chosen regardless of his placement. Can you imagine the disappointment of the single ballot character being a veteran we could already play in another game, not to mention one who's partially derivative of another character? I think it's a reasonable assumption to suggest Wolf would have been low priority, given all the circumstances.

Isaac, K.Rool, Inklings, Waluigi, Toad, and all of the other "popular" first party characters all had less votes than Bayonetta in EU, and likely did not crack top 5 in NA.
Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman, and Banjo Kazooie did not crack top 5 anywhere. The devs of all of these characters expressed desire to work with Nintendo to add their characters in the game. This means they must've been negotiable characters, and there's no reason to believe they weren't realizable. This means the only reason they didn't make it was because they simply did not have the votes. Bayonetta beat them out in both EU and NA, and very likely in Japan as well.
Again, we don't know this for certain. Europe, certainly, but not North America.

In terms of third-parties, they may be considered 'negotiable', but even then, only on the part of their developers; we don't know about Nintendo's personal stance on including third-party fighters from either indies or Microsoft, because they haven't yet. The term 'realizable' is also so vague, it can be construed to mean almost anything. For all we know, Bayonetta maybe had better move-set potential and easier access to the company that owns her than her competition did, and therefore she was more 'realizable'. It doesn't necessarily mean the likes of Banjo didn't theoretically have the votes, it would just mean there were other factors to take into consideration besides popularity.

I don't know how well Bayonetta did in Japan, considering there wasn't even as much of a mention regarding her placement. I suspect she might have ranked well enough, considering she was the most popular worldwide pick, but probably not in the Japanese top five because otherwise it would have been mentioned like it was with North America.

It's not to say online polls aren't insulated, but to downplay their effectiveness, we really only have Bayonetta herself to go off of. Unless Nintendo releases some of the results, that's all we have, because we don't know who else would have ranked high enough, besides assuming some of the Mii costumes were reserved as consolation prizes for well-ranked non-winners.

EDIT: That awkwardness when someone likes then unlikes your post.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
There's soemthing driving me mad. I don't know which particular game the Chocobo theme in the Mii Costume wave 5 trailer comes from. I tried looking at the themes from the main numbered games but none of them fit.

Any ideas?
iirc they're based on the ones from one of the chocobo games
could be that

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Goku confirmed for Smashified!
:troll:
Wonder Red was my first thought tbh. That, and Kamen Rider Gurren Lagann
First of all, we don't know this for certain - we can only conjecture. Even then, what basis can we go on from this?

What doesn't help Wolf's case is that I think most would have assumed he would have returned (since Lucas did) hence a lack of people bothering to vote. Even then, I don't think Wolf would have been chosen regardless of his placement. Can you imagine the disappointment of the single ballot character being a veteran we could already play in another game, not to mention one who's partially derivative of another character? I think it's a reasonable assumption to suggest Wolf would have been low priority, given all the circumstances.

Again, we don't know this for certain.

In terms of third-parties, they may be considered 'negotiable', but even then, only on the part of their developers; we don't know about Nintendo's personal stance on including third-party fighters from either indies or Microsoft, because they haven't yet. The term 'realizable' is also so vague, it can be construed to mean almost anything. For all we know, Bayonetta maybe had better move-set potential and easier access to the company that owns her than her competition did, and therefore she was more 'realizable'. It doesn't necessarily mean the likes of Banjo didn't theoretically have the votes, it would just mean there were other factors to take into consideration besides popularity.

don't know how well Bayonetta did in Japan, considering there wasn't even as much of a mention regarding her placement. I suspect she might have ranked well enough, considering she was the most popular worldwide pick, but probably not in the Japanese top five because otherwise it would have been mentioned like it was with North America.

It's not to say online polls aren't insulated, but to downplay their effectiveness, we really only have Bayonetta herself to go off of. Unless Nintendo releases some of the results, that's all we have, because we don't know who else would have ranked high enough, besides assuming some of the Mii costumes were reserved as consolation prizes for well-ranked non-winners.
Sakurai said Bayonetta got more votes than the previous fighters, so he pretty much said she had more votes than Wolf

btw how do I get characters to appear in the background of my posts?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, but we can infer from Sakurai's wording that the top 5 were likely characters like Kratos (unnegotionable 3rd parties) or Darth Vader (non-video game characters).
It's a rather large assumption.

Besides, Wasn't the top five in NA of the realizable characters?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I may be wrong, but I think Nintendo has said they'll keep the ballot results in mind when working on future projects too, not just Smash.

Again, may be wrong.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Sakurai said Bayonetta got more votes than the previous fighters, so he pretty much said she had more votes than Wolf

btw how do I get characters to appear in the background of my posts?
That's not what I was referring to at all - I was referring to how can we know for certain if any of the remaining cut veterans were in even in the top five or not. The OP in question said none of the veterans (or other perceived contenders) cracked the top five, and I'm saying it's an unnecessary presumption because we have nothing to go off of this.

Now, I don't think Wolf would have placed highly because of certain detrimental factors, but theoretically Bayonetta still only occupies one out of five spaces - whoever the rest are reserved is where the question lies of who else was there.

My main disagreement is more-or-less about what we know and what we don't. What we know is Bayonetta was Europe's most popular choice and one of North America's most popular choices. What we don't know is who else was, and until we ever do we can't say for certain who was popular and who wasn't. That's what I'm getting at.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's not what I was referring to at all - I was referring to how can we know for certain if any of the remaining cut veterans were in even in the top five or not. The OP in question said none of the veterans (or other perceived contenders) cracked the top five, and I'm saying it's an unnecessary presumption because we have nothing to go off of this.

Now, I don't think Wolf would have placed highly because of certain detrimental factors, but theoretically Bayonetta still only occupies one out of five spaces - whoever the rest are reserved is where the question lies of who else was there.

My main disagreement is more-or-less about what we know and what we don't. What we know is Bayonetta was Europe's most popular choice and one of North America's most popular choices. What we don't know is who else was, and until we ever do we can't say for certain who was popular and who wasn't. That's what I'm getting at.
Bayonetta was in the top 5. Sakurai said Bayonetta had more votes than the veterans. Therefore, the veterans weren't in the top 5, otherwise they'd say Bayonetta was top 3 or something, it's implied she was #5

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's a rather large assumption.

Besides, Wasn't the top five in NA of the realizable characters?
They never said that, but some people theorize that is the case, but I'm starting to think it's not, because they said the top 5 in US included characters from previous titles, emphasis on the "s" in characters.

If we are to assume Snake and Ice Climbers weren't realizable due to legal and technical reasons respectively then they wouldn't be in the top 5 in US of realizable characters.

I think it's safe to believe that Wolf was in the top 5 in the US, but again they said characters with an "s" so what other veteran would be that highly voted in the US along with him other than Snake or Ice Climbers?

Maybe I'm over thinking this?
Bayonetta was in the top 5. Sakurai said Bayonetta had more votes than the veterans. Therefore, the veterans weren't in the top 5, otherwise they'd say Bayonetta was top 3 or something, it's implied she was #5
He said "this ranking (top 5 in US) includes even fighters from previous games in the series"

He makes it sound like veterans were in the top 5 in US.
Nothing about Bayonetta beating them in votes in the US.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm surprised they disclosed as much ballot info as they did. All I was expecting for the ballot character was a vague "they placed well on the ballot".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
They never said that, but some people theorize that is the case, but I'm starting to think it's not, because they said the top 5 in US included characters from previous titles, emphasis on the "s" in characters.

If we are to assume Snake and Ice Climbers weren't realizable due to legal and technical reasons respectively then they wouldn't be in the top 5 in US of realizable characters.

I think it's safe to believe that Wolf was in the top 5 in the US, but again they said characters with an "s" so what other veteran would be that highly voted in the US along with him other than Snake or Ice Climbers?

Maybe I'm over thinking this?

He said "this ranking (top 5 in US) includes even fighters from previous games in the series"

Nothing about Bayonetta beating them in votes in the US.
I took it as 'Bayonetta had lots of support, even surpassing these characters'

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I just found out something, in Europe it's illegal to buy either Bayonetta games if you're under 18... Yet isn't it odd that she's in a kids' game?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
wait, yeah
Yeah, that's the one. The one in the video I watched was some other remix used in game. Looking for final fantasy music is soooo confusing. The final fantasy main theme is named "Final Fantasy" so it makes it hard to youtube search for because it assumes you put final fantasy in twice because you're an idiot.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Top 5 realizable means she could have been even the 50th place on the ballot if the previous ones weren't realizable.

I bet she was also the 5th of the "realizable"

I also bet their criteria for not realizable included characters they could use but didn't think would work. Maybe Isaac was ahead but they didn't think he could

D

Deleted member

It's not the first time. Metal Gear games are consistently M-rated.
Except Ghost Babel (E) and Peace Walker (T).

EDIT: Portable Ops Plus was also T-rated.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Only A+-rated games are illegal over here, anyone can buy an M-rated game here for whatever reason...

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
It's not illegal to buy Bayonetta when you're under 18 here.

That must be a very special case in one country maybe.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I took it as 'Bayonetta had lots of support, even surpassing these characters'
I took it as "the top 5 voted for characters in US includes veterans."

Though they make it sound like they want you to believe she placed higher then the veterans.

Though seeing how there are 7 veterans not in the game, and she was in the top 5, she by default did beat out some characters from previous games.

Maybe the translation failed to fullly convae what it was that Sakurai was trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom