• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
Honestly his Side Special might be the biggest offender. :p The Hand Slap Down Special and the roll as a Dash Attack (when I saw that it changed to that I was legitimately hyped) are great though.

And Giant Punch, too, since it might be based off the DK cartoon.
I think what really kills it for me is his voice. A characters voice is one of THE defining things about them. It's like if Mario sounded like that terrible Mario bros. cartoon. Sure, it looks like Mario, but it's hard to accept it as actually being the same guy.

And don't even get me started on Bowser Jr./ the Koopalings having their voices while Bowser is given some generic Lizard monster Roars.

Furret24

Smash Master
Please read the rules.
Honestly his Side Special might be the biggest offender. :p The Hand Slap Down Special and the roll as a Dash Attack (when I saw that it changed to that I was legitimately hyped) are great though.

And Giant Punch, too, since it might be based off the DK cartoon.
BANANA SLAMMA!!!!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
aldelaro5 aldelaro5
We found him
We found him, Aldelaro
We found him :4pacman:
It;s ok because i was already spoiled, but I just want to say DO NOT PRESENT ME ANY DOCUMENT ON PAPER JAM UNTIL I PLAY IT!

I accidentally got spoiled by this video already because a certain @tsvlink25 presented me the video on skype and I was sad :(

I am not going to say what I know for the others, but jsut pls put that in a spoiler and warn people next time.....I don't want more expectationd from the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Also I managed to get two Hoopa at the McDonald's event. Anyone want to trade event legends? I managed to miss Darkrai, Arceus, Diancie, and all three Unova event legends, so if you have any of those and want a Hoopa, I can help you out. :p

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

He is the idol that everyone craves. May the Fire Emblem fangirls in Japan enjoy the sexy singing of Yashiro the day after Christmas.

For those of you who don't get it, Genei Ibun Roku #FE will be out soon and plenty are making streams about it currently.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Let me explain the Lightning meme for you:

It's when the company/creator pushes this particular character so hard and rarely half of the fanbase likes that particular character

Lightning fits that role considering Toriyama (no, not that one) pushed her massively hard for her and Square shoved her in multiple titles and advertising and over favorable FF characters over her.

It's the same thought process for Rosalina considering people believe she's hogging the spotlight from Waluigi, Daisy and even Peach in certain cases when she's popular, Lucario in that light for Game Freak considering he was pushed hard for and he was considering hogging the spotlight (especially when he was Brawl and Mewtwo wasn't) and Lucina lastly due to the base breaker of FEA and people stupidly thought that she'll replace Marth as the face of FE when that's impossible and stupid to consider that.

Don't try to change it up or say I don't understand m, THIS IS WHAT THE LIGHTNING MEME IS:

This character is too popular and might attract the wrong people unlike my character
Some of the characters you gave as examples don't even really fit the bill, though.

The only hate I recall Lucario attracting was that of Mewtwo fans after Brawl's release when he was being used as a sort of scapegoat for Mewtwo's failure to return. Outside of that one isolated incident, Lucario has more or less become the most popular Pokemon outside of Generation 1.

Rosalina is by far the character I see get compared to Lightning the most, but it doesn't really make any sense. Rosalina made her debut in 2007, and it took until 2013 for her to really become a mainstay in the series. She made sporadic appearances between 2008 and 2012, but was only a playable character in Mario Kart titles. Rosalina was by no means forced into the spotlight like Lightning was. Her rise to prominence in 2013 was rather sudden, but I believe it was a result of the fanbase she actually built up, and wasn't the result of Nintendo wanting her to be a major face of the Mario series like Square Enix wanted to make Lightning be.

I won't comment on Lucina because I don't know much about who's popular and who isn't in Fire Emblem. I recall hearing Lucina is beloved in Japan, but at the same time, I recall hearing that Japanese gamers hate Roy, and that ended up just being a myth.

That isn't what the Lightning meme is, it's just when a character is forced down our throats despite lukewarm reception, nothing more.

Lightning has never appeared "over a favourable character", every game she has appeared in outside of the FFXIII series, has been a general FF crossover, like Dissidia. It's foolish to say she's being forced by appearing in games like this, since she is the main representative of FFXIII, so if they want to represent that game, they jump to her because she is the most well known character from the game, and has also proven to be popular in various polls and just the fact she was a legit role model in Japan (i.e. Japanese people looked up to her as a symbol of what they should be like). It's no different to how Cloud is the main representative of FFVII.

So the Lighting meme doesn't apply to Lightning herself.

Trying to say Lightning is forced by Toriyama is no different to saying Rosalina is forced by Koizumi. Neither are true and there were legitimate reasons for them appearing in more stuff.
Eh, I believe they really tried to make Lightning be a major face of the Final Fantasy series, but people do have the tendency to exaggerate the extent to which Square/Toriyama went in order to make it happen.

The "forced cameo" complaint in specific is beyond ridiculous. Other Final Fantasy titles and characters have gotten the same attention and treatment that Lightning and XIII got. XIII wasn't the first to have sequels. Lightning wasn't the first to make cameos outside her game.

Cloud was in pretty much every Square game released around the time of VII (He was a playable character in Ehrgeiz alongside a chunk of the FFVII cast, was recruitable in Final Fantasy Tactics, and was unlockable in Chocobo Racing alongside Squall). FFVII had three other games and a movie. X had a sequel centered around playing dressup with Yuna just like Lightning Returns. Nobody complains about their "overexposure".

People act like Square is biased towards Lightning, but it feels more like the fandom has a bit of bias against her.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Some of the characters you gave as examples even really fit the bill, though.

The only hate I recall Lucario attracting was that of Mewtwo fans after Brawl's release when he was being used as a sort of scapegoat for Mewtwo's failure to return. Outside of that one isolated incident, Lucario has more or less become the most popular Pokemon outside of Generation 1.

Rosalina is by far the character I see get compared to Lightning the most, but it doesn't really make any sense. Rosalina made her debut in 2007, and it took until 2013 for her to really become a mainstay in the series. She made sporadic appearances between 2008 and 2012, but was only a playable character in Mario Kart titles. Rosalina was by no means forced into the spotlight like Lightning was. Her rise to prominence in 2013 was rather sudden, but I believe it was a result of the fanbase she actually built up, and wasn't the result of Nintendo wanting her to be a major face of the Mario series like Square Enix wanted to make Lightning be.

I won't comment on Lucina because I don't know much about who's popular and who isn't in Fire Emblem. I recall hearing Lucina is beloved in Japan, but at the same time, I recall hearing that Japanese gamers hate Roy, and that ended up just being a myth.

Eh, I believe they really tried to make Lightning be a major face of the Final Fantasy series, but people do have the tendency to exaggerate the extent to which Square/Toriyama went in order to make it happen.

The "forced cameo" complaint in specific is beyond ridiculous. Other Final Fantasy titles and characters have gotten the same attention and treatment that Lightning and XIII got. XIII wasn't the first to have sequels. Lightning wasn't the first to make cameos outside her game.

Cloud was in pretty much every Square game released around the time of VII (He was a playable character in Ehrgeiz alongside a chunk of the FFVII cast, was recruitable in Final Fantasy Tactics, and was unlockable in Chocobo Racing alongside Squall). FFVII had three other games and a movie. X had a sequel centered around playing dressup with Yuna just like Lighting Returns. Nobody complains about their "overexposure".

People act like Square is biased towards Lightning, but it feels more like the fandom has a bit of bias against her.
It's the western FE fans that hate Roy, Lucina is popular everywhere
The answer may surprise you
But which ones are evil?
The middle one

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also I managed to get two Hoopa at the McDonald's event. Anyone want to trade event legends? I managed to miss Darkrai, Arceus, Diancie, and all three Unova event legends, so if you have any of those and want a Hoopa, I can help you out. :p
I have hoopa( well an illegal shiny one) and 2 darkrais, so If you want I'll give you one for it.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
From what I've seen, he's the most hated Lord out of the franchise, though that doesn't mean he is hated by everyone. You get what I mean by this?
I never said I don't know Roy's popularity. I was talking about Lucina. Roy was just an example of why I'm iffy on commenting about FE characters' popularity.

I'm fully aware that the Roy hate is mostly from the west.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I never said I don't know Roy's popularity. I was talking about Lucina. Roy was just an example of why I'm iffy on commenting about FE characters' popularity.

I'm fully aware that the Roy hate is mostly from the west.
Well, Lucina's a fan favourite for 3 factors. Her stats, personality and story role. From what I see, Lyn gets a lot of flak for contributing nothing to Eliwood's story alongside her pisspoor ability to take hits, though she's still popular due to her personality, design and her good stats

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Apparently this can happen in badge arcade:

It's an interesting glitch, but only happens in this one. However a few other catchers can have similar effects. Don't worry if it happens, as the game does fix itself and you will usually still get that badge without wasting a play.
Just something I thought I'd bring up for fans.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Bruh
Lyn vs Bandit
98 vs 33 in Lyn's favor
Lyn misses
Bandit hits
Lyn loses 3/4 of her max HP
EVERY ****ING TIME
yeah, but sorry this doesn't only apply to Lyn, you want your swordmaster to dodge, nope they instead impale themselves on the enemies weapons, you want a character to not kill an enemy unit yet? The character goes and crits.

As we all know the ORIGINAL Anna as the RNG Goddess is a cruel mistress.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
yeah, but sorry this doesn't only apply to Lyn, you want your swordmaster to dodge, nope they instead impale themselves on the enemies weapons, you want a character to not kill an enemy unit yet? The character goes and crits, as we all know the ORIGINAL Anna as the RNG Goddess is a cruel mistress.
Yeah but
Lyn's a dodge tank
she dodges literally anything above 33% chance with me outside of the final boss
Also, something that I like about ****lord AKA Roy. He has this commercial
'So addicting you won't sleep' huh? They sure got that right

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So I was playing a level in Mario Maker, and there were spoilers there, like literally every major plot point in the movie was spoiled, I mean it's a good thing I've seen the movie so I'm not spoiled, but still, this is getting ridiculous.

Chrono.

Maybe if we all use the power of these triple 7's Waluigi will one day be playable in Smash.

I really hope they decide to focus on the characters they have now rather than drastically overhaul everything again. I mean, I love Subspace as much as the next guy, but the older characters are starting to feel a little bland when compared to the newer ones.

Honestly, I just want them to give characters like D.K, Bowser and Sonic more personality. The Kong in smash isn't D.K, It's pretty much just a gorilla that does Gorilla things. Legitimately nothing about D.K's move-set says "Donkey Kong" outside of his final smash. Other characters share this problem as well, but D.K is just the best example.

*Edit: I forgot to mention D.K's Dash attack and down special, as well as his crouching and jumping animation. His eyes popping out of his head was a nice reference, but his over-all character just feels lacking to me.
The Smash 64 characters in general all feel really outdated, it'd be nice if they got some overhauls for Smash 5.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Watching Star Wars, just realized the price for popcorn and Star Wars movie equates to the price of Xenoblade X. Now I am more sad.

I'm watching this at Orlando at Downtown Disney's AMC theater by the way.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Is the Darkrai legal by chance? :p
Yes, I only hack the shiny forms because they look cool. But then they sit in the pc forever lol.

I have bot Darkrai's from the last few events for him if you want.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was pretty good at breeding pokemon

I have a whole bunch of starters with perfect stats and one shiny of each of them. More than one if you count the non perfect IV's

I haven't breed anything in a while though

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, I only hack the shiny forms because they look cool. But then they sit in the pc forever lol.

I have bot Darkrai's from the last few events for him if you want.
Nice. When will you be free to trade? :p

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I was pretty good at breeding pokemon

I have a whole bunch of starters with perfect stats and one shiny of each of them. More than one if you count the non perfect IV's

I haven't breed anything in a while though
I have a friend who woukd breed for shinies and literally spend days doing it.

I love shinies but cbf with that haha.

The only shinies I've ever legit run into in all my hours spent playing Pokemon (which is a lot, trust me) are Slugma in RSE, Audino in BW and Dunsparse in XY.

I was also traded a level 100 shiny Metapod. What a troll move.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I have a friend who woukd breed for shinies and literally spend days doing it.

I love shinies but cbf with that haha.

The only shinies I've ever legit run into in all my hours spent playing Pokemon (which is a lot, trust me) are Slugma in RSE, Audino in BW and Dunsparse in XY.

I was also traded a level 100 shiny Metapod. What a troll move.
I breed for hours for shinys, when I feel motivated. I'm doing so right now, trying to get a shiny treecko for someone but it won't hatch :/

D

Deleted member

I once tried shiny breeding
Gave up before filling up the first box lol

I only have a Shiny Basculin that I found in BW when I was trying to catch a Riolu
And a Shiny Sandile that I found in XY during my first playthrough who I later traded for a Shiny Clauncher

Last edited by a moderator:

Chrono.

I tried shiny breeding but I gave up after trying to get a Shiny Protean Froakie

Just wasn't worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom