• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I was more of a competitive breeder.

One time though, I was trying to get a perfect 5 IV Mawilein XY. And the first one I got that was perfect, it was shiny too.

My life has been going downhill ever since. That was my peak.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Some of the characters you gave as examples even really fit the bill, though.

The only hate I recall Lucario attracting was that of Mewtwo fans after Brawl's release when he was being used as a sort of scapegoat for Mewtwo's failure to return. Outside of that one isolated incident, Lucario has more or less become the most popular Pokemon outside of Generation 1.

Rosalina is by far the character I see get compared to Lightning the most, but it doesn't really make any sense. Rosalina made her debut in 2007, and it took until 2013 for her to really become a mainstay in the series. She made sporadic appearances between 2008 and 2012, but was only a playable character in Mario Kart titles. Rosalina was by no means forced into the spotlight like Lightning was. Her rise to prominence in 2013 was rather sudden, but I believe it was a result of the fanbase she actually built up, and wasn't the result of Nintendo wanting her to be a major face of the Mario series like Square Enix wanted to make Lightning be.

I won't comment on Lucina because I don't know much about who's popular and who isn't in Fire Emblem. I recall hearing Lucina is beloved in Japan, but at the same time, I recall hearing that Japanese gamers hate Roy, and that ended up just being a myth.

Eh, I believe they really tried to make Lightning be a major face of the Final Fantasy series, but people do have the tendency to exaggerate the extent to which Square/Toriyama went in order to make it happen.

The "forced cameo" complaint in specific is beyond ridiculous. Other Final Fantasy titles and characters have gotten the same attention and treatment that Lightning and XIII got. XIII wasn't the first to have sequels. Lightning wasn't the first to make cameos outside her game.

Cloud was in pretty much every Square game released around the time of VII (He was a playable character in Ehrgeiz alongside a chunk of the FFVII cast, was recruitable in Final Fantasy Tactics, and was unlockable in Chocobo Racing alongside Squall). FFVII had three other games and a movie. X had a sequel centered around playing dressup with Yuna just like Lightning Returns. Nobody complains about their "overexposure".

People act like Square is biased towards Lightning, but it feels more like the fandom has a bit of bias against her.
As far as Rosalina goes, she's honestly the most iconic and well known newcomer out of all of the Smash 4 Nintendo newcomers, except for the retro ones like Little Mac and Duck Hunt (though honestly I don't think Little Mac is as well known as her either since he's only really popular in the US while Rosalina is popular internationally), so her inclusion in Smash (what spawned the "Nintendo's Lightning" meme - no seriously, the term didn't exist before the day of her Smash reveal) was really a no-brainer the community should have predicted. Her debut game sold around 11 million and it's sequel 15 million, they are both highly regarded as two of the best games of all time, she's considered a big part of them and she was really popular as soon as the first one (popular enough to encourage even Miyamoto, who didn't approve of her initially, to let her be added to more games, since he initially said she would only be a one game character). The only reason she wasn't really put in more games prior to 2013, was because they were trying to figure out how to utilise her. Koizumi doesn't want her to be just like any old Mario character and he is known to be strict with how she is used. Literally every game appearance she has made since the Galaxy games have been games without any story, therefore averting the need to explain why she isn't still traveling through the far reaches of the universe. She was even gonna be in Captain Toad's game at one point, playing a narrator role and the story would have included her too, but they decided against that (and instead, the team behind that game snuck cameos of her into it behind the creative director's back).

So basically, Rosalina isn't forced into games by Koizumi at all, he is in fact very strict on what she can and can't appear in. It's more a combination of fans, and the extended team at EAD besides Koizumi, wanting to see her in more games.

As for Lightning, she was never really forced, it's just a combination of whiny fans of pre-XIII games, and the fact that XIII spent so much time in development, it just gave Lightning more prominence than she would normally have. We are seeing the exact same thing happen with Noctis right now.

D

Deleted member

Merry Christmas to all of you
Except those that don't celebrate it
In that case, happy holidays
I'm an uncultured ****** so I don't know the names of other Christmas-like holidays

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OKAY I HAD TO SHARE THIS
Bah, humbug!
'What?'
Bah humbug, you know, Ebenezer Scrooge.
'Seriously, what?'
The Christmas Carol? Charles Dickens?
'We don't know what you're talking about'

I am so disappointed in my family
Try saying "The muppet Christmas Carol"

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I once bred a (normal, not ever gonna shiny breed) Lopunny, 6IV and everything, came with all the punches

but I made it adamant :x

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I once bred a (normal, not ever gonna shiny breed) Lopunny, 6IV and everything, came with all the punches

but I made it adamant :x
Adamant + Punches is good.

I was once breeding for a Pichu with Wish, Thunder Punch and Volt Tackle. I just wanted it to be adamant, but I got a Quirky Pikachu that came out shiny instead :3

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Adamant + Punches is good.

I was once breeding for a Pichu with Wish, Thunder Punch and Volt Tackle. I just wanted it to be adamant, but I got a Quirky Pikachu that came out shiny instead :3
Speeeaking of shiny Pikachus,

I was once looking for a shiny Dedenne in a Friend Safari, and I found 2 shiny Pikachu's before I found the Dedenne. And one of them came equipped with a Light Ball. them odds tho

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My siblings and I tend to open our Christmas presents from each other on Christmas Eve night, and this is what my brother got me.

IMAG0275.jpg

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When you get to my age and have no children/ lover, you start to realize that all Christmas is, is that time of year when you have to work harder but for the same little pay. And everyone celebrates while you are working in conditions with a lot of angry people.

No one gives you presents anymore, and the few you do get are like, a lamp or underwear. Maybe a starbucks gift card if I'm lucky.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yep, while my family is eating prime rib...I have a line of customers 30 long

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Anybody who plays dissidia know if the new one is coming to PS4 really interested in getting into the series.So would like to know

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Anybody who plays dissidia know if the new one is coming to PS4 really interested in getting into the series.So would like to know
We haven't gotten a confirmation either way but the Arcade version is modified PS4 hardware and even uses a PS4 control scheme.

So it's very, very likely. Pokkén Tournament showed similar signs.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Actually Naoshi, the permadeath mechanic being optional was first done in Fire Emblem New Mystery, not Awakening.
Well... for Japan at least. But yeah remakes don't typically garner a lot of attention in general. But that is nice to hear.

Sorry for the late reply but I got it for $65. There was a different website with the same product for $20 more but they were sold out.

And I tested the cart and works perfectly.

But prices of reproduction carts varies: Depending on website, system of game, and the demand for the specific game.
Wow, 65 sounds nice. I usually see it going for 100. What site do you usually use?

My siblings and I tend to open our Christmas presents from each other on Christmas Eve night, and this is what my brother got me.

View attachment 89330
Classic Sonic merchandise is always a cool thing to see in this day and age. Happier that the 25th anniversary merchandising is heavily focusing on him

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
When you get to my age and have no children/ lover, you start to realize that all Christmas is, is that time of year when you have to work harder but for the same little pay. And everyone celebrates while you are working in conditions with a lot of angry people.

No one gives you presents anymore, and the few you do get are like, a lamp or underwear. Maybe a starbucks gift card if I'm lucky.
Same pay? They're giving me double.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Well, today I get 1.5 pay

I just mean the season in general though
Looking at it the wrong way man. This time of year is about office parties and 3 day weekends, it's about seasonal lattes and watching the same corny specials you've seen since you were a kid. The little touches are what makes the season, regardless of your age.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Hey everyone. So I got something I wanna get off my chest. At first I was going to just play along with the public perception that something happened to me and just ignore what happened, however, it's not right to live a lie to people who would call me friend and who are worried about me. So I'm going to explain what happened, and I fully expect some of you to think less of me for this. Anyway, here goes.

A few months ago as you're well aware, I was made admin. With it came a lot of responsibility, and with that, stress. Often times, it felt like so few people cared about the site, and fewer still doing work for it, so I attempted to tackle a lot of that, far beyond the scope of my responsibilities. Stress of course can make a guy do stupid things, which brings me to the incidents that led to this. There were a few members that I started friendships with, off site. I being an idiot, took advantage of their kindness' and through the course of knowing them, asked them to do somethings I shouldn't have. Long story short, I harassed them to make myself feel better. Eventually, they filed a joint complaint against my actions from a while back, and as such, our head admins decided they no longer wanted me to represent them, and honestly, I can't blame them. Part of me is even a little happy about it tbh, as I was starting to become constantly depressed trying to juggle so much, and a bit suicidal as well. I'll be sending them a message directly if I can, but suffice to say, I'm sorry to people who called me friend, for taking advantage of that like I did, off site or not, my actions made their days darker, and there's no real way I can repent and change that, all I can do is apologize. Furthermore, I want to apologize to all you, be you user or an ex colleague for letting you down like this.

Let me be clear, I still love the community, and I still want to make it a better place. It's obvious to me however that I'm not in a position mentally to do that. For to many years have I let things bring me to this breaking point, so I plan to leave for many months to sort my self out, and hopefully, one day try and make things up to everyone who showed me kindness, whether I hurt you or not. Keep in mind everyone who knew seemed happy to keep it private, so it's of my own volition that I admit to this. I make no excuses, no matter what the cause was, the effect was negative, and I have to live with that.

With that being said, I won't be replying to this, or anyone else at this point, as I plan to still disappear and work myself psychologically up, become more stable, more confident, where I can be proud of who I am and never have to resort or even think about such actions again. So Happy Holidays everyone, it was fun sharing speculation with you, and one day I promise I'll be back, better than ever. Until then, if you wanna hate this fool of a man who did such things, I'm ok with that, as I probably deserve worse than simply losing the title I loved and worked hard on, but I hope until that point, everyone has nothing but happiness and joy and to succeed in all that your aspire to do. This won't be good bye, so let's just call it catch you later.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

Well if you get married to a super strong Asian woman named Chi-Chi you can get mouth present...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hey everyone. So I got something I wanna get off my chest. At first I was going to just play along with the public perception that something happened to me and just ignore what happened, however, it's not right to live a lie to people who would call me friend and who are worried about me. So I'm going to explain what happened, and I fully expect some of you to think less of me for this. Anyway, here goes.

A few months ago as you're well aware, I was made admin. With it came a lot of responsibility, and with that, stress. Often times, it felt like so few people cared about the site, and fewer still doing work for it, so I attempted to tackle a lot of that, far beyond the scope of my responsibilities. Stress of course can make a guy do stupid things, which brings me to the incidents that led to this. There were a few members that I started friendships with, off site. I being an idiot, took advantage of their kindness' and through the course of knowing them, asked them to do somethings I shouldn't have. Long story short, I harassed them to make myself feel better. Eventually, they filed a joint complaint against my actions from a while back, and as such, our head admins decided they no longer wanted me to represent them, and honestly, I can't blame them. Part of me is even a little happy about it tbh, as I was starting to become constantly depressed trying to juggle so much, and a bit suicidal as well. I'll be sending them a message directly if I can, but suffice to say, I'm sorry to people who called me friend, for taking advantage of that like I did, off site or not, my actions made their days darker, and there's no real way I can repent and change that, all I can do is apologize. Furthermore, I want to apologize to all you, be you user or an ex colleague for letting you down like this.

Let me be clear, I still love the community, and I still want to make it a better place. It's obvious to me however that I'm not in a position mentally to do that. For to many years have I let things bring me to this breaking point, so I plan to leave for many months to sort my self out, and hopefully, one day try and make things up to everyone who showed me kindness, whether I hurt you or not. Keep in mind everyone who knew seemed happy to keep it private, so it's of my own volition that I admit to this. I make no excuses, no matter what the cause was, the effect was negative, and I have to live with that.

With that being said, I won't be replying to this, or anyone else at this point, as I plan to still disappear and work myself psychologically up, become more stable, more confident, where I can be proud of who I am and never have to resort or even think about such actions again. So Happy Holidays everyone, it was fun sharing speculation with you, and one day I promise I'll be back, better than ever. Until then, if you wanna hate this fool of a man who did such things, I'm ok with that, as I probably deserve worse than simply losing the title I loved and worked hard on, but I hope until that point, everyone has nothing but happiness and joy and to succeed in all that your aspire to do. This won't be good bye, so let's just call it catch you later.
I will miss you so much.. :(

Below is how I honestly feel..

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I thought this was pretty cool.

My favourite bits:

-Pac-Man being a Pac :4pacman:
-Cloud and Link bonding
-Charizard swaggin' it in the back
-Mario and Yoshi and Fox being fixer uppers
-Meta Knight can't put a sign right side up
-THE OTP BRINGING BACK THE GROCERIES:rosalina:x:4bowser:
------------

Neo Zero Neo Zero
I hope you can rediscover the self-confidence you need to make it through your troubles, and out of that depression. And from someone who's been there, done that - suicide is never the answer, and I really hope you've already realised that, and if not, please tell someone you trust and try to get help with it, as a lot of people will miss you should you take such a drastic decision.

I won't pretend I am some close friend or something to you, and if anything, I know I have a bad reputation amongst the admin/mod team here, but I still want to wish you well. I don't personally have any reason to think poorly of you, but from one person to another, have a very Merry Christmas and I hope you can enjoy it with people you love.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Before I disappear for a majority of tomorrow, just want to say Merry Christmas to everyone.

If you happen to get Xenoblade Chronicles X tomorrow, I might as well say Happy New Year too.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Looking at it the wrong way man. This time of year is about office parties and 3 day weekends, it's about seasonal lattes and watching the same corny specials you've seen since you were a kid. The little touches are what makes the season, regardless of your age.
I don't get those

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Before I disappear for a majority of tomorrow, just want to say Merry Christmas to everyone.

If you happen to get Xenoblade Chronicles X tomorrow, I might as well say Happy New Year too.
Merry chirstmas 2016

That's how long this game is gonna take me :troll:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B019QB4SL0/75464352-20/

Aw, Pokken controller won't work with other games.
Y'know considering they didn't follow suit with the Gamecube Controller I thought it was obvious

Also
Fun Fact
In Mario Party 5 there's a minigame where you need to press a button to win, but sometimes it does a fakeout by telling you to press "M"
But people made 3rd-Party Controllers (Wireless to be specific) with actual M buttons and it worked on that minigame
SELLOUT B O Y S :4pacman:

Chrono.

Nintendo are doing a 2DS bundle that includes the VC port of Gen 1 + a Mew code for both and XY/ORAS

They also come pre-installed with a theme featuring classic Sugimori art.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom