• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Hey Sakurai, you know what you could have done to not have too many Fire Emblem characters while still having the very unique Corrin? Not put Roy in the game. :salt:
Unfortunately for the haters, Roy was still highly requested.
Actually if they were to cut a FE clone, I would choose Lucina over Roy. She's not bad, but Roy is our boy and a fan favorite.
Lucina is as well though, especially to the casual fanbase.

Both should stay really.

D

Deleted member

Let's see:
-Marth: Veteran
-Ike: Veteran
-Robin: Unique fighting style
-Lucina: Meant to be costume for Marth, became separate later in development due to differing stats.
-Roy: Fan favorite from Melee (and seeing as it seems @Burb was onto something with the "Lucas and Roy were chosen for Brawl and Melee respectively" thing, the only competition Roy had was the joke character Pichu and the superfluous Young Link, who were both not meant to return to Brawl like Roy was, he was literally the only remaining option since Mewtwo was already DLC for non-Melee reasoning).
-Corrin: Unique fighting style and promotion for upcoming game

This about sums up how we got the 6.
Or 5 and a half, how I see it. Since one of them was rather circumstantial (Lucina).

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I might boot up my Wii and Brawl from time to time to play as Snake and Wolf.

Fortunately, both the new game and Brawl share a lot of stages and characters, as well as items, so I can always go for a nostalgia trip.
Don't forget about the mods for Brawl to make even more like Smash 4. Hey, I just might do that some time, but I just love 8-player smash which Brawl doesn't have. Not even hacking works.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Unfortunately for the haters, Roy was still highly requested.

Lucina is as well though, especially to the casual fanbase.

Both should stay really.
True, the problem is the addition of another rep though. Although I still think that with the sales of FE and uniqueness of Corrin, that it's a reasonable addition even if disliked.

Also since we are discussing the addition of a dragon:
My latest course is up!

Charziard's Aerial Conquest!

This is a heavy revamp of Flight of The charziard. It's easier, shorter, better designed(imo) and fun(imo). In it Charizard finds itself caught in an attempted Aerial attack by bowser on the Mushroom Kingdom! It must fight through the armada and soar through the skies to defeat Bowser and Save the day!

As always, feedback is appreciated and I would love to hear thoughts on the revamp as well! Thanks!

I can't wait for the next update to Mario Maker, because I have a really fun course planned out involving Charziard and the Koopa clown Kar- fire model

D

Deleted member

Screw attack's Pokemon vs Digimon

I predicted A LONG time ago that Tai would hit Red

I can't believe they did that
I predicted that and:
-Red would confuse Agumon for a Pokémon.
-Red would confuse Tai for a Trainer.
-Charizard would be too much for Agumon to handle, so Greymon.
-Wargreymon would wreck Mega Charizard X (though I didn't expect the Dramon Destroyers to apply to a Dragon-type Pokémon as if it was a Dramon-type Digimon*)

*I am very confused about the Dramon Destroyers as a whole. They are described to put Wargreymon at risk as well, but he's not in the Dramon-type (otherwise he'd be Wargreydramon). So is it not just Dramon-type Digimon it works on? Just draconic Digimon as a whole?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My reasoning for DHD being a joke is because all he ever did was laugh at you and became infamous for it. Flawed? Maybe, but I see him as both a retro and a joke character. And just because Pichu was intended to be bad doesn't mean it's okay
Lucina is the more popular character because of her role in Awakening. Roy's popularity almost exclusively came from 'ermahgerd teh phire' in Melee. If one had to go, I'd pick Roy

D

Deleted member

My reasoning for DHD being a joke is because all he ever did was laugh at you and became infamous for it. Flawed? Maybe, but I see him as both a retro and a joke character. And just because Pichu was intended to be bad doesn't mean it's okay
Joke character = character was intentionally designed to be pathetically weak.
Pichu = Joke character
Duck Hunt =/= Joke character

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I predicted that and:
-Red would confuse Agumon for a Pokémon.
-Red would confuse Tai for a Trainer.
-Charizard would be too much for Agumon to handle, so Greymon.
-Wargreymon would wreck Mega Charizard X (though I didn't expect the Dramon Destroyers to apply to a Dragon-type Pokémon as if it was a Dramon-type Digimon*)

*I am very confused about the Dramon Destroyers as a whole. They are described to put Wargreymon at risk as well, but he's not in the Dramon-type (otherwise he'd be Wargreydramon). So is it not just Dramon-type Digimon it works on? Just draconic Digimon as a whole?
Maybe the "Dragon Data" that the digimon possess was a match for what Mega Charizard's dragon DNA was

The digital code is sort of like their DNA and can be replicated in the real world.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe the "Dragon Data" that the digimon possess was a match for what Mega Charizard's dragon DNA was

The digital code is sort of like their DNA and can be replicated in the real world.
So, if hypothetically, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Godzilla got thrown in the mix and it was Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon vs. Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon vs. Mecha-King Ghidorah, Wargreymon would have a theoretical advantage over all three?

Shroob

Sup?
Should we REALLY be discussing cuts? Isn't the whole reason we want characters to come back BECAUSE of cuts? Isn't that why the likes of Pichu and Young Link(Even though I still believe that :younglinkmelee:=:4tlink:) still have die hard fans?

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
The New Content Approaching stream heavily suggested that Roy was specifically chosen due to his status as a Melee veteran, while Lucas was chosen from the pool of Brawl veterans.

Roy wasn't chosen over Wolf. Lucas was.
The more I think about it, the less shocking this is. Lucas was planned to be in melee and was one of the early newcomers to be put in brawl. Wolf was only put in at the last Minute since he was very very popular. Nothing more, nothing less. IMO, Lucas brings new things to the table than Wolf.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So, if hypothetically, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Godzilla got thrown in the mix and it was Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon vs. Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon vs. Mecha-King Ghidorah, Wargreymon would have a theoretical advantage over all three?
Theoretically. His purpose is to kill "dragons" after all

Honestly, I was just a little disappointed Metal Greymon wasn't thrown into the mix. He's my favorite Digimon

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Theoretically. His purpose is to kill "dragons" after all

Honestly, I was just a little disappointed Metal Greymon wasn't thrown into the mix. He's my favorite Digimon
I honestly like Metalgreymon more than Wargreymon myself, but I can see why they didn't include him.

Because having Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon is more "marketable" (quotes because there's no sales involved) than Mega Charizard X vs. Metalgreymon. As was the whole "Mega Charizard X is able to overpower Greymon and cause him to turn back to Agumon, putting him on the ropes!" angle being able to be countered with "But wait! Agumon Warp-Digivolved to Wargreymon to pull through in the end!"
Either way, Charizard was ****ed. Metalgreymon has the power of a goddamn nuke after all.

And yeah, I guess the kill "dragons" thing makes sense.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Duck Hunt Dog was the surprise retro, following the tradition set by Game and Watch and R.O.B.. Interesting enough, they also represent hardware in major ways.

Joke characters haven't appeared since Melee.

It was Roy vs. Young Link vs. Pichu for that Melee cut slot. Roy was the best choice, with Pichu being a distant 2ND. I think since Sakurai didn't put any joke characters in Brawl, Pichu's chances were quite low.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I honestly like Metalgreymon more than Wargreymon myself, but I can see why they didn't include him.

Because having Mega Charizard X vs. Wargreymon is more "marketable" (quotes because there's no sales involved) than Mega Charizard X vs. Metalgreymon. As was the whole "Mega Charizard X is able to overpower Greymon and cause him to turn back to Agumon, putting him on the ropes!" angle being able to be countered with "But wait! Agumon Warp-Digivolved to Wargreymon to pull through in the end!"
Either way, Charizard was ****ed. Metalgreymon has the power of a goddamn nuke after all.

And yeah, I guess the kill "dragons" thing makes sense.
Looking at the comments, there are a lot of pokemon fans that seem pissed that Tai started attacking Red

I mean, for any fan of digimon that really should have been the most obvious thing that would happen in the fight

Another thing, in the digital world, it's kill or be killed. Luckily, most times digimon die they are turned into data and reborn

It does make more sense for Augumon to go for the kill than Charizard

Shroob

Sup?
Let's be honest, even though they're clones, you can't really 'hate' them. Each one is different enough, imo.

Dr.Mario is repping that Melee Mario, albeit slower than he was in Melee.
Lucina is an easier version of Marth, +Female representation, and all around popular.
Dark Pit is.... well his buff to his side special is nice.

And let's be honest. They took very little development time anyway.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think one of the few established patterns is, since Melee, there's a hardware Retro and a random mid-late 80s retro.

-Game & Watch/Ice Climbers
-R.O.B/Pit
-Duck Hunt Dog/Little Mac

Sherrif/Takamaru for Smash 5? Who knows!

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think one of the few established patterns is, since Melee, there's a hardware Retro and a random mid-late 80s retro.

-R.O.B/Pit

Im buying Takamaru costume because I want Takamaru in the next Smash.

I think Mach Rider, DK JR or a sports rep is also a possibility.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Im buying Takamaru costume because I want Takamaru in the next Smash.

I think Mach Rider, DK JR or a sports rep is also a possibility.
I honestly believe Takamaru is going to make it next smash

...I'm buying the Geno costume for the same reason but I now fully realize how difficult that would even be for them

Chrono.

Takamaru seems extremely safe.

Sakurai considered him and he's gained the popularity he was lacking me thinks.

Of course this could all change since Smash 5 isn't till 2020 :p

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so because of rosalinatehplumbers name i went and watched mariotehplumbers reaction to the direct....did not dissapoint glad to see he still has less spacial awareness than a goldfish

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still would prefer the character "Sukapon" over Takamaru for Japanese only Famicon character

Although I realize Takamaru's more significance

And he was considered in a smash game before

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog was the surprise retro, following the tradition set by Game and Watch and R.O.B.. Interesting enough, they also represent hardware in major ways.

Joke characters haven't appeared since Melee.

It was Roy vs. Young Link vs. Pichu for that Melee cut slot. Roy was the best choice, with Pichu being a distant 2ND. I think since Sakurai didn't put any joke characters in Brawl, Pichu's chances were quite low.
I don't think there was a "Melee cut slot" or any other arbitrary niche like that. Roy got in because he was Roy. Characters like Pich and Young Link didn't get in because there wasn't as much demand and they were lower priority.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Looking at the comments, there are a lot of pokemon fans that seem pissed that Tai started attacking Red

I mean, for any fan of digimon that really should have been the most obvious thing that would happen in the fight

Another thing, in the digital world, it's kill or be killed. Luckily, most times digimon die they are turned into data and reborn

It does make more sense for Augumon to go for the kill than Charizard
It makes sense. But at the same time, both kids made very stupid decisions.
Tai especially when he went with the "attack first, ask questions later" approach.

I get that it's kill or be killed when faced with an enemy in the Digital World, but all Red did was toss a Poke Ball at Agumon (which Tai didn't even see) and send out Charizard. Red hadn't even challenged Tai or give Charizard a command yet (which would have properly prompted a fight).
Instead of questioning Red on his "Digimon" (which would have ended the fight before it even began with Red's inevitable "....what's a Digimon?" response), he immediately has Agumon attack Charizard just because it's there.

That is where it's Out of Character for Tai. For all he knows, a new Digidestined has shown up. Realistically, Tai wouldn't attack them for no reason (which he didn't have one at that point).
And even if Agumon mentioned that Red threw something at him, Red would respond with something about thinking he was a wild Pokémon, leading to another case where the fight would end before it began due to questioning.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It makes sense. But at the same time, both kids made very stupid decisions.
Tai especially when he went with the "attack first, ask questions later" approach.

I get that it's kill or be killed when faced with an enemy in the Digital World, but all Red did was toss a Poke Ball at Agumon (which Tai didn't even see) and send out Charizard. Red hadn't even challenged Tai or give Charizard a command yet (which would have properly prompted a fight).
Instead of questioning Red on his "Digimon" (which would have ended the fight before it even began with Red's inevitable "....what's a Digimon?" response), he immediately has Agumon attack Charizard just because it's there.

That is where it's Out of Character for Tai. For all he knows, a new Digidestined has shown up. Realistically, Tai wouldn't attack them for no reason (which he didn't have one at that point).
And even if Agumon mentioned that Red threw something at him, Red would respond with something about thinking he was a wild Pokémon, leading to another case where the fight would end before it began due to questioning.
Yeah, there is that.

It seems they ALWAYS have to do some stupid things to get these people to fight

and especially kill

D

Deleted member

Yeah, there is that.

It seems they ALWAYS have to do some stupid things to get these people to fight

and especially kill
At least some make sense.
Such as DK getting pissed at Knuckles for eating from his Banana Hoard. That's completely in character for DK.
You don't **** with DK's Banana Hoard.

And of course, Knuckles not being bright enough to realize that the giant gorilla giving you a death glare while you're eating a banana means it's a bad idea to keep eating.
Of course, Knuckles was hungry, so it probably couldn't be helped.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was reading the DLC ranking of the 7 characters.
I find it laughable that so many rank Roy at number 1 or 2, and Corrin at 7.

If we have an unnecessary FE character, it is Roy. Anything else is bias. You cannot be happy with Roy and annoyed with Corrin without being bias toward veterans who were unnecessary in the first place. And those that think veterans are important, but laugh at newcomers (the new veterans), just doesnt make any sense. Truly.

i see someone still thinks bayonettas guns are realistic.....id like to visit this planet where guns use magical powers to fire

and before you get mad thats the reason the magic rings appear when shes firing the guns in game she isnt actually firing bullets and if you try and say that its because its firing at all i have to wonder why you arnt throwing a fit over clouds oversized kitchen knife

they dont look realisitic they dont fire realisticly and the "bullets" look like yellow lasers in game
it dosent matter what you say or think they arnt realistic in the slightest
...I say they are realistic because they are realistic. I'm also more than capable as being as patronizing as you are being.
Despite the lofty and irrelevant point that the guns are powered by magic, this is merely another indication that they are reast*ic*, not *real.* No, they don't have the lore of function which makes them function like a gun we would get (and I say lore, because even a "real" video game gun is still a video game, and is a series of coded numbers to produce an audio and visual effect, not a "real" effect). As opposed to "real," "realistic," must look, behave, or feel real. Obviously the fact that she uses guns with the anatomy of a real gun means nothing to this argument, but lets take a look at the context. The context of "no realistic firearms" means...what to you? To me, it is a firearm that is not easily obtainable in real life. Even if 'magic' doesnt fill a real gun, everythin gelse functions the same way. Everything. How is this not realistic to you? Please explain your context. I think "It not being an exact replica of a gun" is a petty and faulty argument, but then again, I have a grasp on the word "reaslistic."

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I have problems with putting Little Mac in as a retro character. He was never stated as such like Duck Hunt was and his revival was probably what got him in.

I don't even think Pit in Brawl was a retro character.

Just popular requests that Sakurai liked.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I have problems with putting Little Mac in as a retro character. He was never stated as such like Duck Hunt was and his revival was probably what got him in.

Here's the problem. Little Mac STOPPED being retro type character in 2009, something EVERYONE seems to forget

He was never a retro type character because his game was recent and fresh when it launched in 2009 and gain a damn amount of popularity and traction. Plus the game kinda help him ease his way into Smash due to one thing:

Gigs Mac being Final Smash bait in the multiplayer mode in Punch Out Wii.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Nah, Pit definitely qualifies. His most relevant game was in the 80s and he was revived for Smash in a very similar way to the Ice Climbers. I say Little Mac is retro because he's mostly represented in Smash this way with the arcade promotional art and the Wireframe alt.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey guys, I saw Force Awakens tonight. I really wanted to dump my thoughts somewhere so now I shall share them with you!

I'm going to make this as spoiler free as possible, so if you haven't seen it HAVE NO FEAR!

If you're wondering if it's another Episode I, rest easy. Ep. VII is good. But.

Yeah, it comes with a bit of an asterisk.

Force Awakens has a real hard time distancing itself from its legacy as a Star Wars movie. Without spoiling anything, it starts out pretty solid. It's a mix of something old and something new. Familiar themes and locations, but with some new twists and characters. Fin, Rey and a few other newbies I won't spoiler are a lot of fun and incredibly lovable and are really easy to get attached to. They actually manged to stand up well on both their own and along side beloved classic characters, who actually play big roles in the story and aren't just limited to cameos.

The story starts out strong too. It's an interesting and engaging mystery that mixes the old with the new brings the characters to a ton of neat locals and across some interesting characters. Impressively, it manages to feel fresh and unique while still retaining nostalgic elements.

Until half way through the movie when it suddenly decides it needs to drop the plot like a hot potato to reenact Episode IV.

Yeah, just like Jurassic World before it, another long awaited sequel to a beloved classic film series, it feels incredibly rehashy due to its inability to escape its predecessors. The fact that its engage main plot is completely dropped due to something that has zero foreshadowing and only seems to exist so the movie can have a call-back to A New Hope and to give it a big explosive climax, even if the main plot was suggesting more of an emotional one.

Kylo Ren is also a major, major let down. The poor guy was presented as this cold-blooded badass who seeks to continue what he believes to be Vader's work. In the actual film, he's less Darth Vader and much more Anakin Skywalker. As blunt as this sounds, he's honestly kind of a loser. In the first five minutes of the film he immediately is told off by a secondary characters, which hurts his credibility. He frequently throws temper tantrums which come off more as silly rather than scary, his character arc is awkwardly implemented and is poorly done due to good old, "tell, don't show" syndrome, and worse of all, without spoiling too much, he comes off less as a badass successor to Vader and more like some clueless Vader fanboy who desperately wants to be like his hero but is too immature to be taken seriously.

That being said, it's still a fun movie that I would see again. I think when we look back on it in a decade or so it will seem a little dated, a bit samey compared to other things that were out at the time (you might notice that it takes hints from Marvel's style here and there, just a little) but still a decent film in its own right. Despite my complaints, its a fun watch with lovable characters, charming but not intrusive fan service and a masterful mix of practical and digital effects.

If I was to give it a grade, I'd say it's a solid B-. It's a good movie that unfortunately can't escape from the shadow of the originals. Hopefully episode VIII will boldly attempt to be more of its own thing.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I dunno about where you guys live, but their are certain products we can't sell to people under a certain age

Well, we also can't sell them if the person is of age but is with people underage

Unless, of course, they are the person's children

However, the person always get's pissed.

I'm like, "What, are you some kind of newb? Is this your first time buying this stuff?" As someone who enjoyed the product BEFORE legal age, I was smart enough to figure out you can't just bring people under that age with you and say "Oh, they aren't going to enjoy it, I swear" and just be ok

D

Deleted member

-R.O.B/Pit

Not legitimate patterns.
Only such existing pattern is that since Melee, there's a token "surprise character", one that's meant to be a hidden character that completely differs from the rest of the new additions that not many would suspect.
In Melee, it was Game & Watch.
In Brawl, it was R.O.B.
In Smash 4, it was Duck Hunt.

Only the Ice Climbers were added as a token "retro".
Pit was added due to popularity.
Little Mac would most likely not even have been considered if it weren't for his post-Brawl Wii game.

Sakurai might disagree with your statement Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/22/the-little-pepper-is-very-hot-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-448/
He only talks about the arcade game. The NES gets a shout out.
And yet it was only after his post-Brawl game that he gets in Smash.

Fascinating.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
It doesn't really matter that he came after if Sakurai himself does nothing but imply Mac is a retro character. Director's words vs. conjecture in a debate about what the director wants characters to represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom