• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Someone just had a theory that the dlc characters, including ryu and bayonetta, have been planned since development started for the base game because for various reasons including when sakurai visited Platinum Games. . .
Well it's not impossible that the idea crossed his mind back then.

That would explain having her so complete already. Like maybe he had the moves done up a long time ago as his own little thing and never used them or programmed them, then she won the ballot.

And with Ryu, he talks about how he had a lot of fun making him a lot, so I could see him being discussed to be in the game before DLC was a thing, and certainly that the idea may have crossed his mind before the DLC was worked on.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think talks and conceptualisation for some DLC characters started before the DLC happened, or even as the base game was started (BUT, they probably weren't even considered as DLC at that point and were conceptualised for the base game).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just got back from watching the Star Wars Holiday Special. Impressions below (in spoiler to due to language)
DEAR. MUTHA. ****ING. LORD.

That was hands down the WORST piece of **** I've seen in my ENTIRE life. It was just pure cancer. That thing was 100 ****ing minutes long and barely 10 minutes remotely relates to the main plot. Beyond that, it was just filler after filler after filler with random celebrities, performers, and music groups that was over forced to hell that made zero advancements to not just the plot but anything at all. How in the hell did this get approved? In fact, there was NO ****ing way that it took FIVE writers to make it either. They clearly never had any reading or literature classes in their entire school life. Not to mention it was one big acid trip. Nothing about it made me think "Gee, this is definitely Star Wars" either.
And yet people actually ***** about the prequel trilogy?

At least this will make me significantly happier for The Force Awakens.

D

Deleted member

That moment when you realize Brawl and Smash 4's last third-party characters to get confirmed derived from game series published by Sega.

:sonic::4bayonetta:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Force Awakens at 1am.

Dear lord.

If you think that's late? My theater is open till 5 ****ing AM with Star Wars showings.

They open at 9 am each day.

What is the point of closing for 4 hours?

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Force Awakens at 1am.

Dear lord.

If you think that's late? My theater is open till 5 ****ing AM with Star Wars showings.

clean the theater, make fresh popcorn, refill the drinks, restock the candy, let the staff change, empty the register so you know how much you made that day....power off the arcade machines so they arnt constantly running....list goes on

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Force Awakens at 1am.

Dear lord.

This is all I can think of:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
This is why I'm waiting a week or two before seeing the movie. At least then it won't be as hectic to get in.

Chrono.

That moment when you realize Brawl and Smash 4's last third party characters to get confirmed derived from game series published by Sega.

:sonic::4bayonetta:
Funny thing I noticed, Bayonetta's poster doesn't have Sonic in it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well it's not impossible that the idea crossed his mind back then.

That would explain having her so complete already. Like maybe he had the moves done up a long time ago as his own little thing and never used them or programmed them, then she won the ballot.

And with Ryu, he talks about how he had a lot of fun making him a lot, so I could see him being discussed to be in the game before DLC was a thing, and certainly that the idea may have crossed his mind before the DLC was worked on.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think talks and conceptualisation for some DLC characters started before the DLC happened, or even as the base game was started (BUT, they probably weren't even considered as DLC at that point and were conceptualised for the base game).
This is a fair point, plus Gematsu even stated that DlC was planned about halfway through development, which was a bit before Greninja's reveal. So I think it isn't a stretch that they were thought of and planned before release, just not worked on till after release, like sakurai said.

This is why I'm waiting a week or two before seeing the movie. At least then it won't be as hectic to get in.
It'll will probably still be bad then since it seems to be really popular already, and will probably keep that popularity.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think DLC choices were considered before development ended. However, I don't think work had started on them until the base game went gold. I don't think Bayonetta was chosen until at least June though.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
i think bayonetta has the best colors of all the 3rd party characters not owned by capcom
i mean they even gave her a color based off of another character which is something we wanted for ryu and cloud

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I would love to go see Star Wars, especially since I've heard that it's amazing

but I get panic attacks as soon as I set foot in a cinema. :/

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Come to think of it.....

Camelot is free now, is t it?

And right after Nintendo learned that Golden Sun is kind of popular with the ballot...

Could Golden Sun 4 be a thing?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Come to think of it.....

And right after Nintendo learned that Golden Sun is kind of popular with the ballot...

Definitely a possibility, same with K. Rool possibly appearing in the next DK game.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I think DLC choices were considered before development ended. However, I don't think work had started on them until the base game went gold. I don't think Bayonetta was chosen until at least June though.
I was thinking the same thing. Sakurai said they were thinking about putting Mewtwo in during E3 2013 1 year after the roster was finalized. Not to mention the Gematsu leak mention about Lucas being DLC and the placeholder data found when the 3ds came out. I agree with Bayonetta starting in June because the extra character and stage slot for her wasn't found until the October patch meaning that some or most of the work done on her back then while the 5th and 6th slot were found in the April patch.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I was kinda sad that we didn't get anything SF3 related in Smash (Not count his parry shield, and side smash) I mean I do want those Jazzy music tracks.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Come to think of it.....

Well.
Let me put it this way.
One of the heads of Camelot said "We'd love to make Golden Sun 4. But...popularity really seemed to disappear after Dark Dawn."
I feel like the Adepts have made their voices heard through the ballot.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
i think bayonetta has the best colors of all the 3rd party characters not owned by capcom
i mean they even gave her a color based off of another character which is something we wanted for ryu and cloud
She's literally the only third party where I thought 'wow, so many choices, what do I want?' Only other good alt for third party is Ryu's Goku alt
Come to think of it.....

Apparantly the main GS people left a while ago, meaning it won't be the same

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unfortunately for me, I played all the Golden Sun's except the new one

But I honestly can't remember what happened in the games

Since it's a story RPG I guess I'd have to start from the beginning again

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Imagine how fake the roster we have now would've looked just a couple of years ago, especially the CSS.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
It's kinda funny but all of the newcomers for DLC were characters that felt like a curveball or just very unexpected.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She's literally the only third party where I thought 'wow, so many choices, what do I want?' Only other good alt for third party is Ryu's Goku alt

Apparantly the main GS people left a while ago, meaning it won't be the same
Eh. I'd still take it.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Even if Pichu is a joke character, he still sucks because it's not funny, or clever in any way. It mostly just looks more sad than being funny.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
To be absolutely honest, Wolf's exclusion is like poetic justice in a way.

Let's go back to January of 2008, shall we? Brawl was released in Japan and the roster had been leaked. Salt everywhere. No Mewtwo and no Roy and... Wolf!

They said: Sakurai is biased for the Star Fox series, giving it three reps! It's a too small franchise to deserve so many characters and they're all clones! OMG look at all those Landmasters.

Remember? The Landmaster jokes? Surely, you do. (And if you don't, ask your mom.)

6 years later, in September 11th, 2014... People salty about the lack of Wolf, but they got their hopes up with the announcement of Mewtwo as the first DLC character a month later. All was good in the world. Praise Sakurai-sama!

April 1st, 2015 ~The downloadable roller-coaster begins~
Not only Mewtwo was releasing this month, but Lucas was confirmed AND there's a Smash Bros. fighter ballot!

"This is your chance to fulfill your wildest dreams! All you have to do is conquer everyone in your way!" - Hades (Kid Icarus: Uprising)

"DON'T WASTE VOTES ON WOLF! MEWTWO AND LUCAS ARE BACK AND SO, HE'S A SHOO-IN!" - One of the -many- new mantras of the rabid Smash Bros. fanbase

Then came Roy... and Ryu... and now the last triumvirate of Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. How quaint. The only DLC newcomer to not be a third-party character just so happens to be a Fire Emblem character!

In 2008, Sakurai was biased for Star Fox for including Wolf... That vulpine, SECOND FOX CLONE AND THIRD LANDMASTER everyone reviled. In 2014 onward, he's biased for Fire Emblem. Fanbase logic at its finest.

Remember when people cried foul at Sakurai for removing Mewtwo and Roy from Melee and blamed that on Wolf. Ironic, how those characters returned and Wolf is nowhere to be seen. So much for being a shoo-in, no?

In case you forgot, my top 3 most wanted characters for DLC were Mewtwo, Lucas and Wolf. With the first two confirmed before the ballot's opening, there was but one choice for me: I voted Wolf. Okay, I got nothing in return, but hey, I can't complain that I got two of three I wanted. Would Wolf returning make me satisfied? Yeah, but I was always aware that he wasn't a guarantee, so I did all I could to have him come back.

For that reason alone, I can't be disappointed. I have that peace of mind.
Oh man, those were the days with Geno, Krystal and all that fun stuff. I was a bit salty when Wolf was announced and Mewtwo not being in. But, after finding out he plays differently I got over it and even mained Wolf for some time. Even though I thought Wolf was likely to be in I voted for him twice just in case because you never know with Sakurai. I was a little angry that he's not in, but at that same time I'm not that surprise he didn't make the cut because he barley made it into brawl. He only got in because he was really really popular back then. I'm not going to get angry because Wolf didn't get in and since Wolf wasn't supposed to be in brawl he's not that unique. Sure, Wolf is a lot different than compare to Falco but he just basically borrowed moves from some characters to make him a different fighter instead of having clone characters again like in Melee (toon zelda, pichu, dixie kong, etc.) so Sakurai can avoid the backlash from fans which unfortunately didn't work at that time. All he does is using his claws to fight compared to the recently announced characters. I have Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy instead and they could've got the boot as well if it weren't DLC. So things could've been worse. I'm still going to play Smash 4 because it's so fun especially 8-player smash unlike the "other" fans.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh. I'd still take it.
Me too
Even if Pichu is a joke character, he still sucks because it's not funny, or clever in any way. It mostly just looks more sad than being funny.
The problem with Pichu is that his only good trait is his speed. He isn't a lethal joke character like Jigglypuff or DHD

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
It would make sense that Sakurai wanted to include Corrin now. By the time Smash 5 rolls around, Fire Emblem Fates would be old news with perhaps newer Fire Emblem games coming along down the pipelines taking priority and Corrin practically suffering the same fate as Zoroark.

So he was more or less a now or never type of deal...
Ah, that makes me feel better about Corrin. Thanks for this post.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Finished.

It's nice to see Sakurai confirm the logic I presented in the reaction post on SG.
Hey Sakurai, you know what you could have done to not have too many Fire Emblem characters while still having the very unique Corrin? Not put Roy in the game. :salt:

D

Deleted member

Me too

The problem with Pichu is that his only good trait is his speed. He isn't a lethal joke character like Jigglypuff or DHD
Pichu isn't supposed to be.
Pichu was intended to be the weakest character in the game. That's why he's a joke character.
Same with Jigglypuff pre-Melee. Then Sakurai took Jigglypuff a little more seriously starting with Melee.

And Duck Hunt isn't a joke character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually if they were to cut a FE clone, I would choose Lucina over Roy. She's not bad, but Roy is our boy and a fan favorite.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Screw attack's Pokemon vs Digimon

I predicted A LONG time ago that Tai would hit Red

I can't believe they did that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom