• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Believe me, I know. The biggest issue was that people seemed certain that the whole thing would be shuffled around (Especially the little "clone row"), or that the ESRB CSS wasn't final and would be different in the final version.

Plus the pattern the characters were ordered in was a bit weird and took a while to crack.
I remember. Yet, it is absolutely proof of several things- just not a trend in Smash logic.
The end of the direct was pretty blunt when they tallied up everything.
Nintendo is blunt all the time, doesnt mean that they are telling the truth.
I'm not telling anyone to be as absurd as to have an expectation for more characters. However, just as important as gratitude in life, is hope, and its a ****ing video game- let hope live wherein it is not delusion. Additionally, Nintendo and Sakurai are much to blame for being a source people feel 'iffy' believing, because they do ride the wave of 'surprise.' When they start the psychological game, we as an audience are nearly obliged to continue it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Good things are gonna come out of this for everyone though.

The popularity of K.Rool and Isaac in the ballot (and we know they were) could lead Nintendo to make Golden Sun 4 and/or put K.Rool in a new Donkey Kong game.

The results don't have to only affect Smash.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

The popularity of K.Rool and Isaac in the ballot (and we know they were) could lead Nintendo to make Golden Sun 4 and/or put K.Rool in a new Donkey Kong game.

This is entirely plausible, just like how Marth/Roy and Pit caused a translation/revamp of their series respectively.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Didn't the poll explicitly state that it was *not* solely being used for Smash, but for future Nintendo decisions?

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Not true.

Golden Sun has sold around 1.8 million and Golden Sun: The Lost Age has sold around 1.2 million.

Even Dark Dawn has sold around 800,000 sales.

Bayonetta 2 has around .9 million.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn's bombing was around the same as Bayonetta 2's success.

Golden Sun has a much more successful history if we're talking about pure sales.

Regardless, Bayonetta in Smash will likely mean a third game and continued presence. :4bayonetta:

Moreover, Isaac's pitfall was probably lack of interest in Japan and the growing number of stylistically similar characters, plus Golden Sun not having a game for a while. It wasn't this Golden Sun was more niche stuff. Bayonetta just had a lucky combination of popularity, timing and uniqueness.
Right, but the keynote here is that Bayonetta has had 2 games in the last 5 years, and Dark Dawn was a middling third game with mediocre reception/sales, and didn't relate to Isaac that much. Isaac's heyday and best chance, imo, were the brawl days, and I just don't think his success 10-15 years ago translates to votes the same way that Bayonetta's more recent success does.

Also worth noting that Dawn's 800,000 sales is over 5 years whereas Bayonetta's near-million are after one year. Big difference, especially when the ballot dropped not long after 2 was released. I agree with the timing thing a lot.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Big problem with that theory:

Corrin was never labeled as a ballot character. Nor was he even called a popular pick like Cloud. Bayo was flat out called the winner of the ballot.

I don't think Corrin was a ballot pick. He was picked by Sakurai and company.
I wasn't really referring to it in a ballot sense. More in a marketing sense, unless you want to make the argument that Corrin's there to promote Fates for a U.S. release. Not unlikely, now that I think about the Feb. release date.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Are you REALLY going to care about the Chorus kids in 5 years?

When their only rise to discussion was a rumor?
Honestly, I'd still like to see them.

Mainly because I like rhythm games and have sung in a choir in the past, and I think they can be fun.

58 characters... man, I freaking love SSB4's roster... there are so many unique newcomers and new franchise representation!! There are so many fan favorites, newcomer and veteran alike!!

Nintendo franchises: :4gaw::4littlemac::4duckhunt::4rob::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4shulk:
Mario series: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4drmario::4yoshi::4wario::4bowserjr::rosalina:
Pokemon series: :4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja:
Fire Emblem series: :4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4corrin:
Third Party franchises: :4pacman::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4cloud::4bayonetta:
Zelda series: :4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink:
Kirby series: :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
Kid Icarus series: :4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
Mii Fighters: :4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun:
Donkey Kong series: :4dk::4diddy:
Metroid series: :4samus::4zss:
Star Fox series: :4fox::4falco:
EarthBound series: :4ness::4lucas:
Seeing FE being the 3rd highest series when it is above LoZ, Kirby, and even DK is. . .interesting to say the least.

I really dont care and I know there is a lot more to it than that (limited viable options, items, stages, music, etc) but it's really weird seeing FIRE EMBLEM of all things that high.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I'm loving Cloud, btw. Simply amazing to play as.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

Sceptile's rise to discussion was a theory brought about by a bizarre fan rule that Charizard and Greninja meant there must be a grass type starter on the roster.

It's every bit as likely to be a non-entity for Smash 5 as Chorus Kids are.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sceptile's rise to discussion was a theory brought about by a bizarre fan rule that Charizard and Greninja meant there must be a grass type starter on the roster.

Well, I didn't really have an opinion on Sceptile

I just thought it was a little more ...reasonable because of his Pokken announcement

D

Deleted member

My thoughts on the end of DLC after some time thinking and coming to terms with today's reveals:

We got:
-A character we've been wanting to come back more than anything (Mewtwo).
-Two popular veterans from Melee (Roy) and Brawl (Lucas) that many worried wouldn't come back.
-Two legendary gaming icons (Ryu and Cloud).
-The top-voted character overall, even if it wasn't who everyone expected (Bayonetta).
and Corrin. A popular character in Japan that is used to hype up an upcoming game outside it. (The only real outlier)

Is it the perfect cast? No.
Could there be more to make it better? Yes.

But so what if we didn't get K. Rool or Inklings? So what if Wolf or Snake didn't come back? So ****ing what?
What we got was still pretty damn good, and I'm not going to let salty people make me see the reality as being worse than it actually is.

Shroob

Sup?
While we're all talking about the DLC, I'm going to give my personal rating of them. It's not a number rating, but just how I feel on each.

:4mewtwo:
Where to start? Mewtwo, regardless of how weak he is, got me excited as all hell, because I knew at this point that 'DLC IS HAPPENING!' Sure, he may not be too strong, but it's Mewtwo. EVERYONE wanted him, and I was part of that crowd, and honestly, I'm glad he struck back.

:4lucas:
I legit cried when Lucas came out of Nowhere. I had been a big Lucas fan in Brawl and had rallied for him pre-DLC, but when he didn't come back, I understood.... but then the Song of Love started playing, and I almost lost my ****. I was jumping around and screaming louder than Etika could even begin to scream. My character I fought so hard to defend from detractors was back.

:4feroy:

Now THIS surprised me. I thought we were done with Fire Emblem, and assumed Roy had no shot in hell since we had Lucina, but.... Roy seals the deal. I was pretty shocked and confused, honestly, but when I played him and felt how he was different than in Melee, I fell in love, and he's safely one of my mains now.

:4ryu:

I can't play Ryu for ****, I admit, but seeing Ryu in Smash was a 'whoa' moment for me. This broke a 'fan rule' about 'DURR THIRD PARTY COMPANIES CAN ONLY HAVE ONE CHARACTER!' and I LOVE IT when Sakurai breaks fan rules. He's a great icon and deserves his spot.

:4cloud:

I didn't expect Cloud. At all. Cloud was that character that if you asked me who would NEVER get into Smash, I'd say Cloud. Cloud was basically a meme back in Brawl days, and yet, here we are now, with egg on our face. Sooo.... Yeah... We have Cloud. To all the Brawl speculators in the past right now, I'm simply shaking my head and laughing about how ignorant we were back then.

:4corrin:

Your tears sate my thirst. :p Okay, but seriously, I love Fire Emblem, and Corrin's moveset seems great. He seems soo unique as far as the Fire Emblem cast goes, and they seem great. Is SIX FIRE EMBLEM CHARACTERS too much? I honestly don't think so. In fact, I think it's fine.

:4bayonetta:

YOUR TEARS SATE MY THIRST, for real this time. Like, I NEVER considered her a possibility, and yet, here she is. I mean, it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE, but I just never thought she had a shot. Seeing her in action and her stage, and now I never knew how BADLY I WANTED HER.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Well, I didn't really have an opinion on Sceptile

I just thought it was a little more ...reasonable because of his Pokken announcement
Sceptile's presence in Pokken will be forgotten by the next character announced, let alone in the, what, 6 or 7 years when the next Smash would likely come out?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sceptile's presence in Pokken will be forgotten by the next character announced, let alone in the, what, 6 or 7 years when the next Smash would likely come out?
Look, grass types are my least favorite types

I'm not going to go defend sceptile

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Don't give people any room who believe in the possibility that they will announce another character. We don't need another shadow theory to catch on. They said final, Sakurai said DLC was ending soon. That's it. No ifs ands or butts.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There is actually one thing that saddens me about Corrin and Bayonetta.
I cant really share this with anyone not very-specifically into Nintendo games.
They are extremely niche characters, and a huge majority of my better friends couldnt care less about most video games, particularly such obscure ones as an unreleased Fire Emblem (I doubt most even know the series by more than name), and they damned well don't know Bayonetta at all.

I've tried to have hype convos in real life... and it gets lost after Cloud, Mewtwo, and Ryu.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Even Dark Dawn has sold around 800,000 sales.

Bayonetta 2 has around .9 million.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn's bombing was around the same as Bayonetta 2's success.
Given the fact that the Wii U was doing terribly at the time of Bayonetta 2's release (and still is doing bad, for that matter) and the DS being a much more successful system, I'd say this point is more favorable to Bayonetta than it is to Golden Sun.

Dark Dawn bombed harder than a Wii U game despite being on a platform with a much larger install base.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Throwback time.
Lets talk Gematsu, because it was legitimate.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I made a little something. It really isn't special

image.jpeg

As for characters for future Smash installment, Inklings are moreso the big name and is gonna be the face of the newcomers ala :4villager:

For Third Party characters, I have no idea who they can go for anymore.

But I hope planted a seed in Sakurai's mind for Starman

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Throwback time.
Lets talk Gematsu, because it was legitimate.
I honestly wonder what would have happened if the last two characters announced today were, somehow, Chrom and the Chorus Kids. Like everything would have come full circle. :laugh:

finalark

SNORLAX
There is actually one thing that saddens me about Corrin and Bayonetta.
I cant really share this with anyone not very-specifically into Nintendo games.
They are extremely niche characters, and a huge majority of my better friends couldnt care less about most video games, particularly such obscure ones as an unreleased Fire Emblem (I doubt most even know the series by more than name), and they damned well don't know Bayonetta at all.
I know the struggle. I have a few friends who live video games and are well versed in them, but a majority of them don't really know much about games beyond whatever the mainstream is currently doing.

For example, my friend's exact words when he noticed Shulk in the Smash 4 roster: "What's Kingdom Hearts doing here?"

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't give people any room who believe in the possibility that they will announce another character. We don't need another shadow theory to catch on. They said final, Sakurai said DLC was ending soon. That's it. No ifs ands or butts.
I dont think there is another character coming.
However, if we are going to go by facts and a certain level of logic, then completely disregarding that we could see another at another huge gaming event to rekindle hype- is not out of the question. Obviously the intent would be to surprise, I'm just saying, it isnt completely out of the question, even if its not going to happen.

Especially as they are not releasing new characters until February- I could easily see another character at E3.
I made a little something. It really isn't special

View attachment 87828
I don't mean this as a personal attack, as it is commonly done, but it actually upsets me to a certain level when these types of images surface, with multiple reps from Capcom (and now Sega), but ignore Link and Pikachu, giving Nintendo only one.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Real Talk, doesn't matter whether Gemastu was real or not, it really ruined discussion because how dead set everything was considering when it was running around.

Every fake leak was just "it's fake or real because of Gemastu", every discussion about roster speculation had to revolve around it and even if you suggest another character or if the rumor was fake or real, it was battle over it.

Speculation was awful during that time especially everything building to a certain #MonadoMonday event.

(My opinions on the characters don't reflect this)

D

Deleted member

Ok, so I thought Etika was an all right guy, just not my cup of tea and rather eccentric and overly used memes.

Then, today, I decide to look up the official trailer for Corrin because I wanted to rewatch it and I see this...

barefoot waifu...are you freaking kidding me, man. I now understand why people find this guy obnoxious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey. If Isaac had come in "first" in the ballot he would've been included too, no matter how well DD did.

I like to think that the first party characters that seemed obvious but were held back were for the sake of the series future. And you can ***** about Sakurai making every game like its his last and going all out on the roster, and that's true for the main roster, but DLC is a different beast entirely. It's made with one foot already out the door. And despite Sakurai's comments, of course the series is going to continue.

I mean, if foresight wasn't a factor in the DLC choices, I really see no good reason as to why the Inklings didn't make it. They had pretty much everything the exemplary Smash candidate is comprised of.

Non-iconic rule is broken.
Bayonetta CAN be toned down!
Recency did matter for for recent Nintendo releases.

You don't know how satisfied I am to be right in speculation right now.
YOU DON'T KNOW!
Dude didn't you used to argue that Bayo could get in without being toned down or tweaked? I know I've had at least one debate with you over it.

And I'm pretty sure people haven't been using the recency doesn't matter argument since like... at least a year and a half ago. And before then in past games it didn't matter nearly as much...

Still waiting on Young Link and Kawashima and Sable and all the remaining vets and like ten other characters you predicted -- cast out a big enough net and you will land some fishes, but, uh, congrats?

Holy ****

Its_happening.gif
Good for him.

And while I'm sure we'd like for him to be working with Nintendo, let's be honest, Sony deserves him much more.

I only found 1 person IRL interested in Cloud
I've found many. More than for any other character since Mega Man.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok, so I thought Etika was an all right guy, just not my cup of tea and rather eccentric and overly used memes.

Then, today, I decide to look up the official trailer for Corrin because I wanted to rewatch it and I see this...

barefoot waifu...are you freaking kidding me, man. I now understand why people find this guy obnoxious.
He is obnoxious, but it's his waifu sooo.... *Shrug*

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Can anyone... see the Bayonetta amiibo? I still dont understand it even with the image. Theres just so much to the image.

Real Talk, doesn't matter whether Gemastu was real or not, it really ruined discussion because how dead set everything was considering when it was running around.

Every fake leak was just "it's fake or real because of Gemastu", every discussion about roster speculation had to revolve around it and even if you suggest another character or if the rumor was fake or real, it was battle over it.

Speculation was awful during that time especially everything building to a certain #MonadoMonday event.

(My opinions on the characters don't reflect this)
Until Robin. Gematsu hype bust is really the only reason I can tolerate Lucina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom