• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Hey. If Isaac had come in "first" in the ballot he would've been included too, no matter how well DD did.

I like to think that the first party characters that seemed obvious but were held back were for the sake of the series future. And you can ***** about Sakurai making every game like its his last and going all out on the roster, and that's true for the main roster, but DLC is a different beast entirely. It's made with one foot already out the door. And despite Sakurai's comments, of course the series is going to continue.

I mean, if foresight wasn't a factor in the DLC choices, I really see no good reason as to why the Inklings didn't make it. They had pretty much everything the exemplary Smash candidate is comprised of.

Dude didn't you used to argue that Bayo could get in without being toned down or tweaked? I know I've had at least one debate with you over it.

And I'm pretty sure people haven't been using the recency doesn't matter argument since like... at least a year and a half ago. And before then in past games it didn't matter nearly as much...

Still waiting on Young Link and Kawashima and Sable and all the remaining vets and like ten other characters you predicted -- cast out a big enough net and you will land some fishes, but, uh, congrats?

Good for him.

And while I'm sure we'd like for him to be working with Nintendo, let's be honest, Sony deserves him much more.

I've found many. More than for any other character since Mega Man.
I'm not saying it's a reflection of the character

I just don't know a lot of people that like either FF or Nintendo

D

Deleted member

This comic was posted in the K. Rool thread, but I felt it'd be better to address it here.

I never did get this logic.
"Why Corrin and not someone for Star Fox Zero or Zelda Wii U?"

Who from Zelda Wii U? Link and Zelda, the two major characters that are practically confirmed as soon as a new game is announced, are already in Smash.
Regardless of whether or not Ganon/Ganondorf is going to have a presence, he's in Smash too.
So, what, throw in some random side character literally no one knows about at this point in time to advertise the game? Brilliant idea!

And for Star Fox, no one would really "advertise" for it.
"What about Wolf", you ask? He's been in Smash already. He wouldn't be advertisement for Zero, he'd just be a returning fan favorite.
So unless you people want someone like Slippy or a character original to Zero, don't use it as a counter.

Now Inklings would be a good example.....
.....if their Mii Costumes and Trophy weren't literally already used to promote the game before it released.
In the case of Fire Emblem Fates, there has been no promotion in Smash until now, and the game has only been released in Japan thus far. If Corrin was included to promote the game, it's to promote the overseas release, which won't be until around Corrin's DLC release.

Shroob

Sup?
Huh, you know, we have a soft confirmation of when Bayonetta and Corrin are coming.

Sakurai said Corrin would be out before Fates came out in America. Fates comes out February 19th in America.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With or without Gematsu the speculation still would've been cyclical and repetitive as it always was. Plus it didn't really spoil any of the "surprise" characters anyway. WFT and Villager were before the leak became widespread. Rosalina wasn't on it. Robin and Lucina ran contradictory to it. DHD, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Bowser Jr. also weren't on it. Greninja was just the placeholder at the time.

Pac-Man, Little Mac, Palutena and Miis weren't exactly unorthodox pics and by the time Shulk rolled around the leak was back to "take it with a grain of salt" status.

Really the only thing Gematsu did was create popularity for the Chorus Kids and trick everyone into thinking Shulk and Chrom were always like among the top tier popularity candidates. Especially Shulk.

D

Deleted member

Ok, so I thought Etika was an all right guy, just not my cup of tea and rather eccentric and overly used memes.

Then, today, I decide to look up the official trailer for Corrin because I wanted to rewatch it and I see this...

barefoot waifu...are you freaking kidding me, man. I now understand why people find this guy obnoxious.
The whole "waifu" thing in general is just.. weird. But hey, he's been wanting that character to get in the games for who knows when, so yeah. Must be a part of him getting excited.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Guys, the colors of the clothes Sakurai wore in the Direct were hinting towards the last TRUE Ballot character coming in February. Trust me, this is more than just a theory.

:troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The whole "waifu" thing in general is just.. weird. But hey, he's been wanting that character to get in the games for who knows when, so yeah. Must be a part of him getting excited.
I just don't like how he initially went with the fetish aspect "Bare-foot". It repulses me.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm fine with Corrin's addition; it's Roy's addition that's unnecessary. We should have gotten Wolf over him.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
With or without Gematsu the speculation still would've been cyclical and repetitive as it always was. Plus it didn't really spoil any of the "surprise" characters anyway. WFT and Villager were before the leak became widespread. Rosalina wasn't on it. Robin and Lucina ran contradictory to it. DHD, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Bowser Jr. also weren't on it. Greninja was just the placeholder at the time.

Pac-Man, Little Mac, Palutena and Miis weren't exactly unorthodox pics and by the time Shulk rolled around the leak was back to "take it with a grain of salt" status.

Really the only thing Gematsu did was create popularity for the Chorus Kids and trick everyone into thinking Shulk and Chrom were always like among the top tier popularity candidates. Especially Shulk.

I was kinda behind the idea of Shulk long ago in late December of 2013 when I heard Xenoblade's music and said this "This NEEDS to be in Smash"

Chrom was a major top choice way before Gemastu. The only reason Gemastu will ever get traction and why anyone care is the Chorus Kids. They were the only reason anyone would care as much and why Sal was just about screwing around with it and getting a big head about it.

It's just as similar as the Shovel Knight situation except it was one character and not the whole newcomer roster of the base game.

One guy had an iffy source and had a confident trust in it so much it sort of clouded (heh) his judgement and sense and everyone just trailed behind him. Except Sal isn't known for reporting leaks and rumors other games like Tamaki

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well this is an interesting find.

If you guys remember EVO, they had a team where Sheik and Mr. Game and Watch would use a tactic where Vanish fills the bucket and then KOs the opponents early with it. As of this patch, that and other such tactics are dead as according to a finding here, projectiles absorbed from teammates now only do half damage and knockback, neutering a very easily set-up tactic for characters like him and Villager.

So it looks like if you're planning on going through the next Doubles tournament with Villager shenanigans, you may not get too far.

D

Deleted member

. . . I want Slippy

Even if I dont think the argument is a good one. . .Although I can see the argument for X
[/QUOTE]
Having someone like Elma be DLC for Xenoblade Chronicles X would be a better argument than the other 3.
Though at the same time, the game's been released everywhere by this point. An X character would have worked better as advertisement if released between Royucas and Cloud.

(And I would like Slippy as well. Especially if he's the new Pichu; a joke character)

Last edited by a moderator:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There were four 'requirements' for a characters inclusion, right?
General balance of series and not having realistic firearms were both on that list.
Fascinating thoughts, eh? These, I believe, were Sakurai rules, not fan 'rules.' Though, he really has no rules, its just how he feels at a given moment based on the best summation of his process, which is not codified.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... @PushDustIn

Now that DLC is over and Shovel Knight was never in the works...

Could you explain why you and @Neo Zero believed the rumor now?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
There were four 'requirements' for a characters inclusion, right?
General balance of series and not having realistic firearms were both on that list.
Fascinating thoughts, eh? These, I believe, were Sakurai rules, not fan 'rules.' Though, he really has no rules, its just how he feels at a given moment based on the best summation of his process, which is not codified.
Ehhhhh, Bayo's guns are pretty exaggerated. When I look at them, they don't make me feel the same fear as a, say, AK47 or M16. I mean, c'mon. She has friggen gun high-heels.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Gematsu was weird as a pretty vocal Shulk supporter. Nice to see more popularity, but bandwagoners were a bit annoying and being grouped together with them didn't feel too good.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Extremely happy and it could mean Geno is finally going to appear in future games!!!
Uhhh... yeah.

Sure.

I was kinda behind the idea of Shulk long ago in late December of 2013 when I heard Xenoblade's music and said this "This NEEDS to be in Smash"
I'm not saying he didn't have popularity, he definitely had a notable amount, just not the overwhelming amount people seem to attribute to him before Gematsu listed him.

Chrom was a major top choice way before Gemastu.
Not the whole time. Anybody who says otherwise probably wasn't around during "Fire Emblem General".

The only reason Gemastu will ever get traction and why anyone care is the Chorus Kids. They were the only reason anyone would care as much and why Sal was just about screwing around with it and getting a big head about it.

It's just as similar as the Shovel Knight situation except it was one character and not the whole newcomer roster of the base game.

One guy had an iffy source and had a confident trust in it so much it sort of clouded (heh) his judgement and sense and everyone just trailed behind him. Except Sal isn't known for reporting leaks and rumors other games like Tamaki
Odd considering the only reason the second batch even had credence was because of the traction from the first batch... y'know, the one without the Chorus Kids.

And really? You really think Gematsu had no validity to it? Heh, alright then.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai said Corrin would be out before Fates came out in America. Fates comes out February 19th in America.
I'll take that when it happens. We didnt get Brawl in 07 and we didnt get Sm4sh in summer 2014.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Ehhhhh, Bayo's guns are pretty exaggerated. When I look at them, they don't make me feel the same fear as a, say, AK47 or M16. I mean, c'mon. She has friggen gun high-heels.
They are realistic fire arms that shoot bullets in real time.

The only way it could have been more violent would be to have the bullets in bullet time, and that would actually make it more cartoony.

They are, 100%, realistic firearms.
Used exactly, EXACTLY, as I felt Lara Croft should have used them- even the rapid gunshots between combos.

Neither of those were criteria.
I'm not in the mood to get on this with the source- but as Im actually referring to a specific source with four statements (maybe someone else can easily find it, Im going to bed), Id appreciate more of a response than just your opinion on the matter. Thanks.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
And really? You really think Gematsu had no validity to it? Heh, alright then.
I do but it hinges on two things:

The Smash Wii U data that had RH logo in the game and :4wiifit: because no one would have even predicted WFT being in the game

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling when the NX is out there will be an NX Smashs and the wiiu port of the game with even more dlc XD but Im a madman XD look at my new mains lol

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

The Smash Wii U data that had RH logo in the game and :4wiifit: because no one would have even predicted WFT being in the game
I have to agree when it comes to the Wii Fit Trainer. Literally ONE person in the whole world, at least online, predicted the Wii Fit Trainer before Gematsu, and it was a post-Brawl joke post on Gamefaqs that didn't even get any subsequent posts.

D

Deleted member

I think what he's going for is Snake not using realistic firearms.

Granted, I don't consider Bayonetta's guns 'realistic'.
I figured.
But still, that wasn't one of the "4 requirements" that were stated back in 2008.

Though Bayonetta is a bit of a strange case.
Sakurai made the point about making sure Fox's and Falco's blasters and the Ray Gun didn't resemble real guns (to the point of making the Ray Gun a laser stamp blaster in Wii U/3DS), yet Bayonetta's guns, as stylized as they are, were left untouched.

It makes me wonder if for example, Heavy's minigun would be acceptable considering it doesn't quite look like what a real minigun would look like.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Holding Sakurai to any rules at all (apart from maybe the "originate from video games/be on a Nintendo system" ones) is a bad idea.

Ah, ok.

You'd be surprised how many people think literally everything in favour of Gematsu's validity (which is pretty much everything apart from what he said about Chrom) falls apart simply because they can't fathom Sakurai would bend the truth about private internal development. >_<

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I really don't know how one could debate that Bayonetta doesnt use realistic firearms.
They are not real weapons, but they are about as real as one could get. She just happens to be a witch who uses them. It's more realistic than the Killzone guy (Radec) in PSASBR. It's effectively the same as Stryker in Mortal Kombat, only with a clearer visual of the guns!
We haven't seen DLC be delayed at all either.
We also were given extremely vague responses to when the DLC would come.
"Spring."
Thanks. Hard to get it wrong when you project anywhere from 5 to 8 months into the future.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I figured.
But still, that wasn't one of the "4 requirements" that were stated back in 2008.

Though Bayonetta is a bit of a strange case.
Sakurai made the point about making sure Fox's and Falco's blasters and the Ray Gun didn't resemble real guns (to the point of making the Ray Gun a laser stamp blaster in Wii U/3DS), yet Bayonetta's guns, as stylized as they are, were left untouched.

It makes me wonder if for example, Heavy's minigun would be acceptable considering it doesn't quite look like what a real minigun would look like.
I think Bayo's guns fly just under the radar of what one expects a 'real gun' to look like. As you yourself pointed out, Heavy's minigun is highly exaggerated, and I can't imagine a gun like Bayonetta's actually working in real life.

That, and I mean, they're also part of her shoes, which is kinda silly. Like, compare Shadow's gun to Bayonetta's, for example. Ow the Edge uses a fairly realistic pistol.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"bayonettas guns are realistic" on what planet? they look like dollar store toys you win at chucky cheese(or your regional equivelent arcade/pizzaplace with prizes for tickets)
bullets where never the problem here it was the fact nintendo didnt want kids to go digging for their parents handgun because they saw snake use one where as a kids more likely to grab a cheap toy when they see bayo use her guns

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The rule that characters must originate from a game is the only one I'd actually consider a rule. The other ones are more like guidelines than anything.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

If I wanna buy Final Fantasy 3-5 should I buy the remakes on Steam or buy them on Wii VC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom