• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Corrin is probably my favorite newcomer after Robin, and will probably take their spot after their release
Their Side Special is also the closest I'll get to a spear in this game and I'll take it
And after all, they did in fact add a character to promote a recent game
Bayonetta is someone I never thought would happen(also, I'm a little salty cause Wonder-Red yadda yadda)
But holy **** does she look fun
Her stage also looks amazing
And I have to say:
I ****ING CALLED IT
YOUR POLLS NEVER REPRESENTED ANYTHING
It feels good to be right...

And lol at people salty saying Bayonetta and Corrin are "insulting"

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Non-iconic rule is broken.
Bayonetta CAN be toned down!
Recency did matter for for recent Nintendo releases.

You don't know how satisfied I am to be right in speculation right now.
YOU DON'T KNOW!
Uhh....didn't you speculate that there'd be like 10 more characters? Getting two right doesn't make you this prophet. :p

Plus we're at the end of the road. Bayo was the final character. So rules getting broken is of little importance, since there's no more speculation.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
R.I.P. Snake
R.I.P. Ice Climbers
R.I.P. Wolf
R.I.P. Pichu
R.I.P. Chrom
R.I.P. K. Rool
R.I.P. Shovel Knight
R.I.P. Ridley
R.I.P. Shantae
R.I.P. Isaac
R.I.P. Banjo
R.I.P. Captain Toad
R.I.P. Paper Mario
R.I.P. Bandana Dee
R.I.P. Goku
R.I.P. Rayman

...Boy... did we set ourselves up for disappointment with this hefty list, let us recall that Sakurai did not have to continue on with development but he still did for a surplus of new and exciting characters. I doubt that anyone here feels that burned but this is just to calm the nerves.

Now if you excuse me I have to dig a lot of graves. But remember that there's always Smash 5

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
The only thing I am even remotely salty about is no X stage or even music.

Other than that gg Sakurai. That was some good stuf

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
More than anything I'm just baffled over the lack of Inklings.

Also I'm glad the whole "failed in sales=never gonna be in Smash" mindset is dead now. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Quick Thoughts:

• Corrin looks more interesting than Robin IMO. RIP Tiki fans.
  • "Big Brother is now Big Sister" should be the latest Nintendo Direct meme.
  • The FE Fates remix sounds better than the original, not a fan of vocal tracks myself.
  • I agree that some other game probably should have gotten priority over FE.
  • LMAO HARD @ Geno being a costume after all these years. RIP Geno fans.
  • Didn't see the Tails costume, but I totally called Knuckles for Mii Brawler.
  • Bayonetta I think I wouldn't mind as much if she wasn't the final character. I really think it should have been Nintendo based. They really couldn't get another Nintendo character?
  • I would hope Pit/Palutena's voice actors also mean Codec DLC.
  • She looks like her weaknesses will be damage and frame data, kind of hard to say if she's auto-High Tier as a result. She's got tools though.
  • Her amiibo will be ridiculous.
  • Her official artwork looks bad***.
  • Took me a second to realize she's owned by SEGA and not Platinum.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Color me surprise I never though bayonetta will ever get into smash. I can want to play as her as soon as she get out.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
So much for polling, lol.

I sure hope this isn't a result of the idea that the ballot didn't have any multivote countermeasures. No poles put Cloud, Corrin, or Bayo in the top 20... except Bayo barely sometimes.
Corrin was never billed as a ballot winner.

He seems to have been picked by Sakurai.

Also I'm glad the whole "failed in sales=never gonna be in Smash" mindset is dead now. :p
Uhhh....not really, no.

Bayonetta got in through the ballot. Not on her own merits.

It would be dead if she was picked by the developers, but she was picked by fans.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Costumes were indeed deconfirmations.

If speculation had gone on beyond this, there would probably be much more salt than there is now.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
What the hell.

After this there shouldn't be anyone who'll deny that Sakurai is biased in favor of Fire Emblem. And I find it really hard to believe that Bayonetta performed that well in the ballot. Casuals wouldn't vote for her, and she didn't top any polls the hardcore fans would vote in. Though I guess it depends on what qualifies as "realizable" in Sakurai's eyes. "Realizable" = what he wants to do?

The only unsurprising thing in this presentation, besides Cloud, was the lack of Shovel Knight.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

It's almost like fan rules don't hold weight or something like that.

D

Deleted member

Also, I'm still laughing at the Corrin trailer being all like
"Brother, join us!"
"No, brother, come back to us!"
"Nah, **** you both, I'mma join Smash! Cya later bros!"
And Sakurai wearing Bayonetta's glasses

And am I seriously the only one who thinks Corrin's inclusion is completely justified?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Quick Thoughts:

• Corrin looks more interesting than Robin IMO. RIP Tiki fans.
  • "Big Brother is now Big Sister" should be the latest Nintendo Direct meme.
  • The FE Fates remix sounds better than the original, not a fan of vocal tracks myself.
  • I agree that some other game probably should have gotten priority over FE.
  • LMAO HARD @ Geno being a costume after all these years. RIP Geno fans.
  • Didn't see the Tails costume, but I totally called Knuckles for Mii Brawler.
  • Bayonetta I think I wouldn't mind as much if she wasn't the final character. I really think it should have been Nintendo based. They really couldn't get another Nintendo character?
  • I would hope Pit/Palutena's voice actors also mean Codec DLC.
  • She looks like her weaknesses will be damage and frame data, kind of hard to say if she's auto-High Tier as a result. She's got tools though.
  • Her amiibo will be ridiculous.
  • Her official artwork looks bad***.
  • Took me a second to realize she's owned by SEGA and not Platinum.
Welp. She fit the reason I had for Snake.
3 cartoonish characters.:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic:
3 Human-ish characters.:4ryu::4cloud:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Uhh....didn't you speculate that there'd be like 10 more characters? Getting two right doesn't make you this prophet. :p

Plus we're at the end of the road. Bayo was the final character. So rules getting broken is of little importance, since there's no more speculation.
I got the Geno costume right tho. Getting two of the most controversial characters (Corrin although less so) right on my bingo is satisfying to least.
I know it won't probably matter in the end.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Also, who else thought they were gonna dump a Kid Icarus newcomer on us and were readying to flip a table?

I'm so glad we got Bayonetta.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Quick thoughts:

- K. Rool is now basically Ridley in terms of Smash. Moving on.

- Inklings and a new Fire Emblem character are guaranteed for Smash 5 - you can bet vital organs and a large sum of money on that and return a hefty profit. I dare even say Isabelle stands a strong chance, as well. If Takamaru gets a new game, who knows?

- Isaac really isn't all that important to Sakurai whatsoever. Removal as an Assist Trophy and lack of acknowledgment as a Mii Costume (unlike K. Rool and the Inklings) prove as such. He'll never be in Smash.

- I'm going to feel terrible for Fire Emblem's reputation among the Smash fan-base. Seriously, I do think some of the salt can be justified in this case, all things considered, but it's still going to be repulsively ugly. With that said, Sakurai really does love that series - he's an essential part to their history now.

- I do remember Bayonetta was a very popular suggestion during the very beginning of the ballot, so there's that.

- Oh, hindsight is hilarious in regards to all the arguments we had about Bayonetta.

- The conspiracy theories regarding the ballot and calls for Sakurai's removal are going to be widespread among the hardcore community, especially K. Rool supporters.

I'll be honest, I don't care much for this DLC selection (costumes and characters), but that's mainly because they weren't exactly characters I was rooting for. I only speak for myself, of course, so don't jump on me for that. Regardless, congratulations to their respective fan-bases.

With that said, it's finally over. Farewell, Smash 4 cycle, farewell!

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Wow. I'm so glad this wasn't leaked. But at the same time, I am slightly disappointed.
Smash didn't need 6 Fire Emblem characters. It's as simple as that. The fact that this series has more representation than Zelda of all things disturbs me.
Now, let's wait and see when Cloud releases tonight. Then, in February, it all ends...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Now that some of the salt is gone, the fact that they talked about the Smash Ballot with Bayonetta and admitted she was really wanted, think it's possible we might get a Smash Ballot results list? I mean, even if some weren't considered for this title, there's always the possibility of them being considered for the next game. I mean, that's what the JP poll also mentioned, right?

D

Deleted member

Ugh.... I'm so salty right now, really? Pit had to KO two of my favorites in the beggining of the bayonetta trailer? :p

Anyway, did not expect either of them, but boy oh boy, I am hype as ****. GIVE ME NOW!!!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If Sakurai didn't see something in the requests for Bayo, he wouldn't have picked her.

While I'm upset Corrin is the only Nintendo newcomer through DLC. It to me? Was a really admirable and amazing batch of DLC.

Sakurai did this for fans and it shows.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow... Holy Crop

Though, as usal with me, a thought occurs: If Bayo-freakin'-netta was the most popular reasonable character then what garbage were you Yanks and others voting for?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Time to start smash 5 speculation.

I think it depends on which fire emblem games come out.
So two for that.
Lets say one mario/DK newcomer. Likely dixie.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
Once again we have reached the 666 page

One of the newcomers is the devil in disguise...

Can you unravel the mystery in this weeks episode of Swampy Doo?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The only thing I am even remotely salty about is no X stage or even music.

Other than that gg Sakurai. That was some good stuf
I never expected that, but it still would've been pretty sweet. I'm loving X so much that I would've taken a number of nods to it. Even Elma as a character entered my mind as crazy as I thought that would be.

Too bad I'm not having a revelation with FE or Bayo right now so that I could be as hyped as some people, heh. They look interesting though. Truth is however, there's a reason I'm playing X and didn't play Bayo or any recent FE. I'm not sure I'd ever have been as hyped as I'd like to be about this new Smash news.

D

Deleted member

@bananija so, about our bet...
I'm going to choose an avi for you, just hold on for a while :p :p
Big Brother is now Big Sister
Corrin confirmed to be the first trans character in Smash!
Nintendo confirmed to be pandering to the SJWs!
:troll:
Also, who else thought they were gonna dump a Kid Icarus newcomer on us and were readying to flip a table?

I'm so glad we got Bayonetta.
I thoight it was Hades at first and I was all like
"I swear Sakurai, if you put another damn--"
*Bayonetta says something*
"Huh, Hades has goteen more feminine since Upri--THAT'S NO KID ICARUS CHARACTER!"
ALSO, BINGO RESULTS:

I love how the optimistic one didn't get anything right :p

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Isn't it strange we reach page 666 right after we get a character that summons demons? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom