• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
But she was literally trash
How could anyone like her?
"Her arms and optimism: gone"
Nobody likes Nui. She was the epitome of the term '*****'

But that's how incredible her character was that she was unlikeable, that made you dislike her so much. That's a great villain, the ones you hate.

Chrono.

You know, I'd never thought I'd see the day where I see the bit block talk crap about someone like this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'm not even surprised, this isn't the first time BitBlock overreacted about something... but this is the first time I actually see him attacking someone.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
After reading the recent Source gaming article about third-party characters, I have to say I am very much open to third-party characters. That said, I have several points to make.

Smash Bros is not a celebration of all things gaming, but rather all things Nintendo as shown by the interview where Sakurai stated

"Smash Bros. can still be considered as an all-star collection of Nintendo characters. Just like with Mega Man or any other third-party character, it would have to be a very special situation."
With the obvious implication that the third-party characters aren't part of the main "theme" of Smash Bros, which is a Nintendo-oriented crossover and thus are judged by a higher standard that Sakurai has for them (confirmed by the fact that Sakurai stated, when discussing Mega Man, that not just any third-party characters would be selected). In other words, third-party characters aren't there because they fit in with the alleged theme of Smash Bros being a celebration of all things gaming, but rather their individual merits as characters are what justifies them being part of this crossover in spite of not being Nintendo characters, which is why they are known as guest characters and the exceptions to the kind of characters Sakurai would pick for this crossover (Nintendo characters, obviously.:p). As long as that we're getting a very limited amount of third-party characters, Smash Bros can never be anything more thematically than a representation of all thing Nintendo-wise featuring a few big guest characters rather than a celebration of all things gaming (because the current roster we have so far doesn't sufficiently represent the latter. Let me ask you a question- If Smash is a celebration of all things gaming, why is there so many third-party characters important to video gaming history past and present missing from the roster and why has there so many characters included in Smash that has no significance to gaming history? Because Smash was never designed as the Ultimate Showdoown of Ultimate Video Game Destiny, but as a love letter to various aspects of Nintendo history with a few guest characters. This is partially why I find the whole "indie rep" justifications incredibly stupid)

Which brings to the next point. Someone in the comment stated that DLC characters should mostly be third-party characters. That is definetly a mistake and overkill. This is still a Nintendo-oriented crossover and thus in general, it should be mostly Nintendo characters with a few guests characters. One more guest DLC character would be fine (as long as, you know, they are legitimately big characters), but most of them being guests? That's too much, even for someone like me.

(Also, As I've discussed in a different thread, it's not as if third-party characters are all equivalent in terms of merits and hype nor does being a third-party character automatically mean you'll be more hype and profitable than any Nintendo character. Whilst someone like Rayman and Bomberman would generate more hype and profit than someone like Dixie, the same isn't true of some of the highly requested ballot third-party characters who are definetly niche and less appealing among Nintendo fans than Dixie due to her having more familiarity. Not really an important point, but just something I felt was notable)

D

Deleted member

Nobody likes Nui. She was the epitome of the term '*****'

But that's how incredible her character was that she was unlikeable, that made you dislike her so much. That's a great villain, the ones you hate.
There is a difference between "liking to hate" a character and "hating to hate" another
Nui was one I hated to hate and I just wanted to see her die already
Someone, like, let's say, the flower in my avi is someone who I like to hate

It was very satisfying to see her losing her arms tho

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There is a difference between "liking to hate" a character and "hating to hate" another

That scene's amazing in the dub imo. I'd link it, put I don't know if it counts as inappropriate content

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Yeah but I love to hate Nui and hating to hate her as well because she's just a great villain in that regard plus I want her to get Tombstone Piledriver into a bed of rusty nails

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nui was undoubtedly incredibly annoying, and it was intentional, they want you to hate her, and Iike that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't disagree with the 'you hate a villain because of what they do' notion being it's good, but I prefer villains I like. Ridley's a irredeemable monster, absolutely love the *******. I also like unique villains, such as Drive's villain Heart, being really friendly and showing sorrow when mooks get killed

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You know, I actually have a friend on this site that claims Nui is his waifu.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
On the topic of villains, what's some really awesome, underrated villains in games?
I already have my picks:
ghiraham2.png
bloodymary.jpg
I also really enjoyed King Gangrel from Fire Emblem Awakening. Really great, appropriately crazy villain.

D

Deleted member

I like to hate villains and generally, I just want to get to see their butts kicked or kick them myselc personally
Despite being almost always used as an example, Kefka is one of the best at this
He does such a great job at making you hate him as much as possible and everytime he shows up and ****s everything up, it's all to set up the final battle

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Holy ****
We FINALLY got gameplay of Luigi
Less than 2 weeks until the game launches and NOW we actually see Luigi
AND HE LOOKS SO GOOFY
I LOVE IT

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Nui is probably one of the best "love to hate" villains ever.

Her introduction alone is just greatly done. You see a cute girl talking about disturbing stuff in an overly childish tone while the music playing is clearly ominous (Sawano once again delivers) and you even see Satsuki wavering a bit.

You know someone is wicked and really twisted when even Satsuki, who had been a tyrannical iron-spirited badass up till that point, becomes distressed.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Is there a source for this yet?

Inklings are a species. Even if the female Inkling is the main advertised one I really doubt they would paint the direct to focus on just that one specific one Inkling. I fully expect if we get an Inkling trailer, it would showcase multiple Inklings fighting at once. So therefore, if they want to use the same pun, "their" would be more effective.
You know, I'd never thought I'd see the day where I see the bit block talk crap about someone like this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Never really liked the bitblock. It is alway hard to follow their reasoning on anything. (See their opinion on "anime" characters).

D

Deleted member

It's hard to pick one of my favorite villains but if I had to pick some

Discount Mother Brain

If only the payout had been better...

Who doesn't LOVE him?

And of course, the worst of them all

Local fish ruins everything
Seriously, **** this guy

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't get it. What's wrong with it?
It's the issue of the original 3DS and 3DS XL where the bottom screen borders are so tall, even taller then the protectors, so it scratches lines in the screen when it's closed.

In this case, the C-Stick is even taller so the C-Stick has a line inside it now from the top screen's edge pushing right into it and the pressure leaving a permanent mark inside it. There's also a C-Stick print in the top screen (thankfully I have a screen protector) due to this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Is it okay to say that I'm not impressed with the new Mario Tennis?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Gangrel is an example of how to do a villain right, BTW - he's such a ******* you just want to kill him.
Of course the effect would have been greater if
I wasn't relieved Emmeryn was gone

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It's the issue of the original 3DS and 3DS XL where the bottom screen borders are so tall, even taller then the protectors, so it scratches lines in the screen when it's closed.

In this case, the C-Stick is even taller so the C-Stick has a line inside it now from the top screen's edge pushing right into it and the pressure leaving a permanent mark inside it. There's also a C-Stick print in the top screen (thankfully I have a screen protector) due to this as well.
New 2DS = When
That's all I gotta say

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Metal Face is a fantastic villain. Amazing design too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
*That moment when you feel like you're the only one that actually liked Resident Evil 5*
You're free to like it, and Wesker was the best thing about it, but aside from Wesker it's easily my least Resident Evil...even compared to Resident Evil 6.
The biggest reason being Nina Williams making a boss cameo, I mean really?

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You're free to like it, and Wesker was the best thing about it, but aside from Wesker it easily my least Resident Evil...even compared to Resident Evil 6.
I have to admit though, it ain't perfect. I wasn't a fan of the AI. But Wesker was still great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom