• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Not sure if anyone is interested but the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 movie trailer is out and I gotta say, this already looks like it's an actual TMNT movie and not a Megan O'Neil ft. the turtles movie like the first one was. The turtles look shorter than previously which is great and the colours on them look more vibrant; they really took the criticism and negativity and improved on it so it seems. So great to see the turtle van and we finally get to see Bebop and Rocksteady in the mutant form on the big screen after so many years. Foot soldiers are now ninjas in this film, like they should've been in the first! Overall, this looks like it'll be a fun TMNT movie that will cater to the kids and please the older fans with pure nostalgia. Also, Arrow is now Casey Jones nice... :smirk:

For the people who've gotten Xenoblade Chronicles X

are you liking it? I'm on the fence about getting it, since I've never played the original or any JRPG. Is the story good? Indulge me. :^)
Xenoblade Chronicles X is pretty much a stand-alone Xenoblade game so you don't have to have played the original; I didn't play the original either but I will one day. To describe the game briefly, it really is like an MMORPG without being an MMORPG such as the moves on the bottom of the screen and the various cooldowns. I'm only up to chapter 5 but so far the story is decent. The game itself is massive though; the world is just amazing. Tetsuya Takahashi did an amazing job on building the world of Mira. It's definitely one of the best looking Wii U games too in my opinion. Even though you haven't played a JRPG before I think you'll have a great time since there's tons of stuff to do in the game. Once you get your skell/mech, that's when the fun really begins. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Not sure if anyone is interested but the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 movie trailer is out and I gotta say, this already looks like it's an actual TMNT movie and not a Megan O'Neil ft. the turtles movie like the first one was. The turtles look shorter than previously which is great and the colours on them look more vibrant; they really took the criticism and negativity and improved on it so it seems. So great to see the turtle van and we finally get to see Bebop and Rocksteady in the mutant form on the big screen after so many years. Foot soldiers are now ninjas in this film, like they should've been in the first! Overall, this looks like it'll be a fun TMNT movie that will cater to the kids and please the older fans with pure nostalgia. Also, Arrow is now Casey Jones nice... :smirk:
That was so stupid

and awesome at the same time

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wha...

This actually looks really good.

Micheal Bay...

Are you learning?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Okay, so since we're gonna speculate wildly and just in general go stor-crazy until Tuesday, it's time for another one of IAWY's random questions!

If hypothetically, Sakurai wasn't opposed to the idea of adding 4th-party characters (TV, Movies, Books, Comics, Anime, Manga, etc.), and anybody was fair game and could be added (except for the trifecta in Goku, SpongeBob and Shrek that Sakurai's already laughed at the thought of), who would actually be the most likely 4-th parties?

I'm gonna say based on recognition and popularity, I'd give very good bets to Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, Luffy from One Piece, and maybe Spider-Man.

Mickey Mouse is obvious, everyone knows Disney and Mickey's a household staple almost. Darth Vader has more popularity than the majority of the characters in the series and is well known among the general populace for multiple reasons. One Piece, last I knew, was the highest-selling and most popular Shonen Jump manga, outselling Naruto and Dragon Ball by a lot, so Luffy being the main protagonist is a sure fire bet for widespread recognition in Japam (Push can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

EDIT: And Marvel is very well-known, and Spider-Man is one of the, if not the most popular character (X-Me are more well known as a group than individually). I missed one, but Batman and Superman would also be another good bet, because they're Batman and Superman haha.
Luffy from One Piece.
Harry Potter.
Mickey Mouse.

D

Deleted member

For one second I thought my username became the new "joke-matter" for this thread's name.

Shroob

Sup?
If Sakurai were to add any 4th party character, figuratively speaking, and the ballot had any say in it, it'd be Goku, bar none.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Seeing Bebop and Rocksteady in a movie is just crazy

That's what I wanted in the 80's and 90's

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Allow me to pick your brains a bit. This is sort of Smash 5 speculation, but...sort of not.

We have :4gaw:, :4rob:, and :4duckhunt:. One for each game since Melee, these are old characters - if you can even consider them "characters" in the first place - whom no one really expected for Smash, but have very important, significant Nintendo history.

So...who could be next in this line? Someone (or something) old, 80s or earlier, who we probably don't see in games today unless it's a cameo, but nonetheless was very important to Nintendo. I've thought about this for a while and even done some research, but I can't pin down anyone that I feel really fits. It can't just be a random retro character that didn't actually make a noticeable impact even though people may remember them and/or Smash acknowledges them, e.g. Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac, Takamaru. The closest I've gotten is Sheriff and Diskun, though the Japan-only nature of Diskun leaves me not confident in that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
4th party doesn't exist.

I really don't know how that got started, but a character can't exactly be 4th party.

Even Mickey Mouse or Goku or Shrek would just be 3rd party.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, so since we're gonna speculate wildly and just in general go stor-crazy until Tuesday, it's time for another one of IAWY's random questions!

If hypothetically, Sakurai wasn't opposed to the idea of adding 4th-party characters (TV, Movies, Books, Comics, Anime, Manga, etc.), and anybody was fair game and could be added (except for the trifecta in Goku, SpongeBob and Shrek that Sakurai's already laughed at the thought of), who would actually be the most likely 4-th parties?

I'm gonna say based on recognition and popularity, I'd give very good bets to Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader, Luffy from One Piece, and maybe Spider-Man.

Mickey Mouse is obvious, everyone knows Disney and Mickey's a household staple almost. Darth Vader has more popularity than the majority of the characters in the series and is well known among the general populace for multiple reasons. One Piece, last I knew, was the highest-selling and most popular Shonen Jump manga, outselling Naruto and Dragon Ball by a lot, so Luffy being the main protagonist is a sure fire bet for widespread recognition in Japam (Push can correct me on this if I'm wrong).

EDIT: And Marvel is very well-known, and Spider-Man is one of the, if not the most popular character (X-Me are more well known as a group than individually). I missed one, but Batman and Superman would also be another good bet, because they're Batman and Superman haha.
Firstly, 4th party doesn't exist. It's 3rd party.

Secondly...the only reason Goku is laughed at is because he doesn't plan to add characters that didn't originate from a game. If he isn't opposed to the idea, that means he is open to Goku.

Goku would be included WAY before Luffy is.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Firstly, 4th party doesn't exist. It's 3rd party.

Secondly...the only reason Goku is laughed at is because he doesn't plan to add characters that didn't originate from a game. If he isn't opposed to the idea, that means he is open to Goku.

Goku would be included WAY before Luffy is.
Entertaining the impossible for a second, but would he? Hasn't One Piece made more money and gone on forever? Plus isn't it bigger in Japan which is what matters?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I would take plenty of anime characters in Smash before Goku, assuming anime characters can even be in Smash in the first place. (They can't.)

Characters such as Edward Elric, Alphonse Elric, Roy Mustang (FMA), Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan), Ryuuko Matoi, Satsuki Kiryuuin (Kill la Kill), Simon (Gurren Lagann), Rin Okumura (Blue Exorcist), Staz (Blood Lad), Shinichi Izumi (Parasyte), Ushio (Ushio to Tora) or Yuichiro Hyakuya (Owari no Seraph) are all fairly interesting characters in regards to their combat abilities and how they would translate into unique, interesting and, most importantly, fun Smash movesets.

Personal biases aside, even Goku could provide with a fun moveset if all his abilities and combat maneuvers are taken into consideration. He wouldn't even overlap with Ryu that much aside from the Kamehameha being similar to the Hadouken.

Of course, anything that isn't related to video games in Smash is merely a pipe dream. Sakurai even laughed at the idea of Goku in Smash. Even Sugita, the voice actor of Chrom and a very prominent VA in anime, was flabbergasted at the idea of characters such as Goku in Smash.

It just says how very defined and clear the vision for Smash Bros. is. This said, it's true many anime and manga characters would actually work really well in Smash from a gameplay point of view as mentioned above. However, it is a pipe dream and that's what fan-made games are for.

Admittedly, a Smash Bros. game with an anime/manga theme (instead of a Nintendo theme) would be quite interesting, though it likely wouldn't leave Japan due to being a licensing nightmare and probably wouldn't have the same appeal as Smash, given anime and manga are more of a niche in the West.

People can request Goku all they want, though it simply won't happen. Guest characters in Smash have all been huge video game icons comparable to Nintendo's biggest stars, which is why they work in the first place and aren't outlandish choices at all. You have the likes of Mega Man, Sonic, Cloud and Pac-Man along with Mario, Link, Samus and Pikachu. That's the magic of Smash and why it is a successful franchise in the first place.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Entertaining the impossible for a second, but would he? Hasn't One Piece made more money and gone on forever? Plus isn't it bigger in Japan which is what matters?
Goku is highly requested for Smash. Luffy isn't.
Granted, they come from 10-year olds on Miiverse alot of the time, but I mean...Sakurai has directly mentioned Goku requests. I think twice.

And Dragonball is probably more known worldwide.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
One Piece is certainly more popular. Dragon Ball was a huge success, but OP is crazy in Japan.

They have OP themed food, brinks, bars, theme park etc.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Goku is like an anime gateway drug.

Don't let your kids do Goku.

Side Note: In women and gay men please also be on the look out for the drug known as Sailor Moon.

Parents. Be vigilante. On watch. Only you can protect your kids from drugs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sceptile looks amazing.
I made this a while back, calling sceptile I might add. The top ones are the base roster, the bottom ones are honorable mentions/DLC. Each type is represented at least once, and each gen is represented at least twice.
View attachment 86875
Tell me what y'all think.
>Beedrill
>Scizor
>Bisharp
>Zoroark
You have my attention
:4drmario: is Mario's alter ego from another universe
:4sheik: is from an alternate universe.
:4wiremac: is a robot.
:4wiifit:&:4wiifitm: and :4robinm:&:4robinf: are legit twins
:4samus: is on auto pliot if :4zss: is on the same stage with her
I prefer to think Samus is the real Samus and that she just has an evil twin sister that's broken
I'd like to think that the Wii Fit Trainers are a bit of a Nurse Joy/Officer Jenny case. Basically, tons of girls and boys who look like each other, with a couple having a minor difference, but all who specialize in the same job, hobby, etc. Would something be wrong with that headcanon?
My headcanon is that they're part of a mannequin army
I would take plenty of anime characters in Smash before Goku, assuming anime characters can even be in Smash in the first place. (They can't.)

Characters such as Edward Elric, Alphonse Elric, Roy Mustang (FMA), Eren Yaeger (Attack on Titan), Ryuuko Matoi, Satsuki Kiryuuin (Kill la Kill), Simon (Gurren Lagann), Rin Okumura (Blue Exorcist), Staz (Blood Lad), Shinichi Izumi (Parasyte), Ushio (Ushio to Tora) or Yuichiro Hyakuya (Owari no Seraph) are all fairly interesting characters in regards to their combat abilities and how they would translate into unique, interesting and, most importantly, fun Smash movesets.

Personal biases aside, even Goku could provide with a fun moveset if all his abilities and combat maneuvers are taken into consideration. He wouldn't even overlap with Ryu that much aside from the Kamehameha being similar to the Hadouken.

Of course, anything that isn't related to video games in Smash is merely a pipe dream. Sakurai even laughed at the idea of Goku in Smash. Even Sugita, the voice actor of Chrom and a very prominent VA in anime, was flabbergasted at the idea of characters such as Goku in Smash.

It just says how very defined and clear the vision for Smash Bros. is. This said, it's true many anime and manga characters would actually work really well in Smash from a gameplay point of view as mentioned above. However, it is a pipe dream and that's what fan-made games are for.

Admittedly, a Smash Bros. game with an anime/manga theme (instead of a Nintendo theme) would be quite interesting, though it likely wouldn't leave Japan due to being a licensing nightmare and probably wouldn't have the same appeal as Smash, given anime and manga are more of a niche in the West.

People can request Goku all they want, though it simply won't happen. Guest characters in Smash have all been huge video game icons comparable to Nintendo's biggest stars, which is why they work in the first place and aren't outlandish choices at all. You have the likes of Mega Man, Sonic, Cloud and Pac-Man along with Mario, Link, Samus and Pikachu. That's the magic of Smash and why it is a successful franchise in the first place.
I want Roy Mustang so I can make more Roy jokes

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ever since Cloud speculation has been all over the place. Now people are suspecting Microsoft characters, PC characters, Anime Characters, heck even Star Wars characters.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ever since Cloud speculation has been all over the place. Now people are suspecting Microsoft characters, PC characters, Anime Characters, heck even Star Wars characters.
It's begging for a Limit Break joke, but Cloud didn't really open the door to such outlandish character choices.

People simply don't get the vision of the Smash Bros. series in regards to third-party character choices. Cloud was chosen because he's an iconic video game character, just like all other guests in Smash.

I want Roy Mustang so I can make more Roy jokes
Clearly, we need more fiery Roys. :4feroy:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
:4drmario: is Mario's alter ego from another universe
:4sheik: is from an alternate universe.
:4wiremac: is a robot.
:4wiifit:&:4wiifitm: and :4robinm:&:4robinf: are legit twins
:4samus: is on auto pliot if :4zss: is on the same stage with her
I posted a similar theory on my comic a while ago.

Namely that Sheik is Ocarina Zelda, Dr Mario is the result of mixing 1-up shrooms and double cherries and :4samus: is actually the SA-X created in response to demand for Metroid villains

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Allow me to pick your brains a bit. This is sort of Smash 5 speculation, but...sort of not.

We have :4gaw:, :4rob:, and :4duckhunt:. One for each game since Melee, these are old characters - if you can even consider them "characters" in the first place - whom no one really expected for Smash, but have very important, significant Nintendo history.

So...who could be next in this line? Someone (or something) old, 80s or earlier, who we probably don't see in games today unless it's a cameo, but nonetheless was very important to Nintendo. I've thought about this for a while and even done some research, but I can't pin down anyone that I feel really fits. It can't just be a random retro character that didn't actually make a noticeable impact even though people may remember them and/or Smash acknowledges them, e.g. Ice Climbers, Pit, Little Mac, Takamaru. The closest I've gotten is Sheriff and Diskun, though the Japan-only nature of Diskun leaves me not confident in that.
Closest I'm thinking of is Excite Biker.
  • Came out on NES Launch
  • Was going to be in Melee (Honestly, Excite Biker or Balloon Fighter would've saved us the whole Popo trouble but I love me some Ice Climbers)
  • Trophies Melee onward
  • Been getting some attention lately (Mario Kart 8 cameo, for example)
  • Last main-series appearence (Not counting the WiiWare remake or the Spin-Offs, yestherearespinoffs) was on the 64
  • He's on a ****ing bike, why would you not want him

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I suppose the Ice Climber's return could count.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

I think is the best choice. Or Sukapon, I suppose. Or, since the NES/Famicon is already represented fairly well, maybe Sheriff to bring in some Arcade action does make sense.

Or we could just have a Gameboy Advance with arms and legs.. lol.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I really think Yokai Watch's Jibanyan has a better chance with it's Japanese popularity than people realize

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I've got a feeling for Isaac.

Never cared for Isaac.

Never played Golden Sun.

Never gave a **** about him.

But I feel it in the force. Also Inklings. A Shovel Knight STAGE.

And... and... oh god.... RIDL-----
You mean this guy, right?

Chrono.

I think is the best choice. Or Sukapon, I suppose. Or, since the NES/Famicon is already represented fairly well, maybe Sheriff to bring in some Arcade action does make sense.

Or we could just have a Gameboy Advance with arms and legs.. lol.
What is that thing exactly?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Professor Layton and Jibanyan have equally good chances. I think Level-5 has become a big enough company to justify getting its own character, big enough to have their own development studio (Level-5 Abby) outside of Japan with Level-5.

One has gaming history with notably big ties with Nintendo and responsible for the DS' success, while the other is gaining quick massive success (at least in one region) and is currently being advertised hardcore outside of the Japan region.

I'd be content if either of them got in, I'm glad I got into liking both franchises.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

Hypothetically, this pipedream could actually happen for possible future smash bros iterations, the idea could literally destroy the internet. Kind of the same pipedream that I thought would never happened since Smash Bros Melee.

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
What is that thing exactly?
Diskun, The mascot for the Famicom disk system and hard as heck to unlock melee trophy, very important and yet obscure figure in Nintendo history.

Also hi everybody... l came back from the grave after the news to gauge your feelings on the final direct. (And maybe also probably steal all you souls...) How's everybody doing?

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Hypothetically, this pipedream could actually happen for possible future smash bros iterations, the idea could literally destroy the internet. Kind of the same pipedream that I thought would never happened since Smash Bros Melee.
That's because we live in a era where greatness can happen. Smash Bros makes the impossible happen. And they do it so perfectly.

You have legendary franchises from 30 years of excellence teaming up with Nintendo's past, present and future for the ultimate fighting game. Brawl had the best crossover fighter of all time but Smash 4 took it and stomped on it and said we can break that limit.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
I'm bi and Sailor Moon isnt even the first anime I ever watched nor do I like it very much.
It was Naruto. This is unfair discrimination and I will not stand for it.

My tastes have gotten really weird

I no longer like mac and cheese

But I like Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs

Which at one time I thought was extremely bland
Absolutely **** taste

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

Mickey Mouse
Batman
Superman
Supergirl
Goku (there's no reason to exclude him if we're talking hypotheticals)
Luffy
Naruto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom