• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Funny thing about me, I'm banned from NeoGAF as well. I had no previous infractions, no previous bans and had a perfect clean record. However, I offended the owner to the point he permanent banned me and the other moderators have no say in the matter when he bans, despite me not breaking any rules.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=116429954&postcount=123
Why on earth would anyone want to leave GameFAQs for this? At least there it's next to impossible to truly stay banned and the mods rarely voice their opinions, let alone festering putrid manchild Sonic hater opinions.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I guess Evilore really lives up to his username. Sorry, had to make that joke.

Considering you need a paid email account to sign up, I'd expect better behavior from mods.
Guess not.
I don't get that restriction in this day and age. Having a free e-mail account doesn't make someone automatically inferior.

:231:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought even GAF was above that kind of sexist ****. That's disappointing given how progressive the forum has been, even though the community is pretty toxic.
You got it backwards, they're mad it's a white person voicing her. i.e. they're splitting hairs on it not being progressive enough.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
You got it backwards, they're mad it's a white person voicing her. i.e. they're splitting hairs on it not being progressive enough.
Ahhhh lol That sounds like a ridiculous thing to get worked up over. Was the character in question white or something?

don't get that restriction in this day and age. Having a free e-mail account doesn't make someone automatically inferior.

It at the very least slows down alts and mass trolling. Not the best method though because some people still don't get approved regardless though :/

I guess Evilore really lives up to his username. Sorry, had to make that joke.
I thought the same lmao

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
On a different topic, I got the Pit and Dark Pit amiibos I ordered in the B. Friday sales and Dark Pit is at just the right height and angle to hold his gun to Pit's head.

The edge is too much to handle.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Does that really matter. I'm black, I don't care who voices who.

I don't like devolving into racial discussions but it's really stupid how most people like this who are white care about diversity where most minorities don't even care. Like should anybody care about the race of anyone voicing the character or the main character in general.
I'm not trying to get upset over it but it's just something that kinda irks me like people NEED to defend me.

Do people forget what MLK said:
"Don't judge me for my skin color but by the content of my character"

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Anyone remember that guy on Gfaqs or something that said he was so positive that Cloud was going to be released December 3-4 that if his information was wrong he'd give everyone an eShop game?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Anyone remember that guy on Gfaqs or something that said he was so positive that Cloud was going to be released December 3-4 that if his information was wrong he'd give everyone an eShop game?
LOL I guess he needs bleed his wallet out now

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
In other news, Nintendo President isn't liking people turning amiibo into collection displays rather than game content unlocking:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/president-kimishima-collecting-amiibo-wasnt-nintendos-intention/

Well, Nintendo, it doesn't help your early supply/demand ratio made certain amiibo super rare and sought after.
If that was really their intention, they should have gone with Amiibo cards rather than figurines. Why do people buy figurines again? :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Amiibo cards would sell like hotcakes, not to mention being much easier to produce.

inb4 amiibo trading card game

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
On a different topic, I got the Pit and Dark Pit amiibos I ordered in the B. Friday sales and Dark Pit is at just the right height and angle to hold his gun to Pit's head.

The edge is too much to handle.
I'm keeping my Pit in his box, but this cracked me up.

Darky tries so hard.

It's actually kinda cute.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Does that really matter. I'm black, I don't care who voices who.

I don't like devolving into racial discussions but it's really stupid how most people like this who are white care about diversity where most minorities don't even care. Like should anybody care about the race of anyone voicing the character or the main character in general.
I'm not trying to get upset over it but it's just something that kinda irks me like people NEED to defend me.

Do people forget what MLK said:
"Don't judge me for my skin color but by the content of my character"
The only time it bothers me is when someone doesn't suit the character they're voicing. There's a reason why animation companies will (most of the time) redesign characters with the voice actors in mind. It's to make the character look like how they should sound.

Quality of art is more important than pandering. Especially when a lot of the time as you said, the minority groups don't even care.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
There's always someone who says something like this on there whenever announcements are at a vague but existent distance away.

They never pay up.

Still doesn't stop several hundred people posting in those topics just in case.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
well...

playing x may not be as much of an issue now.

I... just got fired.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm keeping my Pit in his box, but this cracked me up.

Darky tries so hard.

It's actually kinda cute.
That's Pitto's whole character. He's a giant tryhard at being cool and edgy when he's just as much as a dork as Pit.

Difference is he isn't as submissive and easily bullied like Pit

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Be still, my ROB amiibo, the new Nintendo President will never find out I have no intent on letting you suffer from awful fighting, now collect dust, my beloved treasure!

@wildvine47 THANK YOU for explaining bull**** from that ******. Anyone remember that sockpuppet thing in which he tried joking about gamergate and accidentally failed at math? If I, the general consumer, have a choice in who gets my money, I don't just want them to be competent, I want them to be nice. It's why I'm fond of YCG, they aren't rude to anyone, but treat others with respect and know who to have a laugh

Soul.

In other news, Nintendo President isn't liking people turning amiibo into collection displays rather than game content unlocking:

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/president-kimishima-collecting-amiibo-wasnt-nintendos-intention/

Well, Nintendo, it doesn't help your early supply/demand ratio made certain amiibo super rare and sought after.
Nintendo get money either way so they still win lol.

Though I do think they need to go further with the use of amiibo.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That's Pitto's whole character. He's a giant tryhard at being cool and edgy when he's just as much as a dork as Pit.

Difference is he isn't as submissive and easily bullied like Pit
And he's a cynic who can see the problems with society that Pit is too cheerful to notice and everyone else is too arrogant to admit.

Still tends to be blinded by his tryhardness a lot, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My grandma's cat was put to sleep

It was originally the baby of my cat from YEARS AND YEARS ago. Like, 20 years ago

She was the last living kitten. We owned another one that died naturally 2 years ago

It was always a really healthy cat

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Hey, I'm a bit out of the loop.
What did Konami do this time?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Hey, I'm a bit out of the loop.
What did Konami do this time?
Kojima won a Game Award
But Konami did a law thing and Kojima wasn't allowed to go at all
But the voices of :snake: and Big Boss were there tho
So that was neat

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
well...

playing x may not be as much of an issue now.

I... just got fired.
Hang in there. I've been jobless for the last few months myself, and it can be rough, but you'll get another job, don't worry about it too much. Since you've already worked somewhere, that makes it easier for you to find a job.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dark Pit is meant to be a satire of the dark counterpart character archetype. The more obvious part is when Hades comments on how "the hero has gone goth" when you play as him and Dark Pit just has his usual nonchalant edgy reaction with Hades pointing how he doesn't have sense of humor.

In fact, Kid Icarus: Uprising is meant to be a parody of common video game conventions and tropes, as well as character archetypes. It's rife with meta humor, breaks the fourth wall every so often and the characters act in a very self-aware manner.

Viridi is an exaggeration of the tsundere archetype played for laughs and Pit is a jab at the idiot hero archetype, being the butt of nearly every joke.

Some of the anime and manga I've seen also employ this kind of humor at times, though Kill la Kill and Blood Lad employ it far more by blatantly exaggerating or obviously pointing out certain tropes. Like KIU, they have plenty of allusions to other works.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How can you lawsuit someone for showing up to something?
I think what happened is that they timed the lawsuit so Kojima HAD to be in court so he couldn't show up and collect his award. I hope Kojima gets to collect his reward due to it not being his fault
Nintendo fans during VGA be like

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My only thing with Dark Pit is that by being an edgy parody, he really just became the archetype. Same with a lot of the KIU characters who try to do that.

Parodying an archetype well is really hard to do.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dark Pit is meant to be a satire of the dark counterpart character archetype. The more obvious part is when Hades comments on how "the hero has gone goth" when you play as him and Dark Pit just has his usual nonchalant edgy reaction with Hades pointing how he doesn't have sense of humor.

In fact, Kid Icarus: Uprising is meant to be a parody of common video game conventions and tropes, as well as character archetypes. It's rife with meta humor, breaks the fourth wall every so often and the characters act in a very self-aware manner.

Viridi is an exaggeration of the tsundere archetype played for laughs and Pit is a jab at the idiot hero archetype, being the butt of nearly every joke.

Some of the anime and manga I've seen also employ this kind of humor at times, though Kill la Kill and Blood Lad employ it far more by blatantly exaggerating or obviously pointing out certain tropes. Like KIU, they have plenty of allusions to other works.
One point I'd like to make about this.
This post made me appreciate the game more, as before this post the thing that I disliked the most about KIU was how Viridi was portrayed sympathetically in spite of attempting genocide.
But viewed through this lens, it makes sense, it is satire of this kind of character getting away with things that they shouldn't.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326

The funny thing about it is many of those previously rare amiibos are now so overstocked that retailers can't get rid of them. Yesterday at Best Buy, I saw a full aisle lined from one end to the other on both sides with two Marths per hook.

Heck, the only reason I even decided to collect the darn things is because I thought they were meant to be collectible.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Thanks guys... to be perfectly honest, the job was pretty new and I absolutely hated it anyway. Haha.

I did my best regardless, and it was sudden, but hey, I'm 21. I've got time to figure this all out. Gotta go get some stuff done for now, but... yeah, I'll be fine. Peace guys.

:ness:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The funny thing about it is many of those previously rare amiibos are now so overstocked that retailers can't get rid of them. Yesterday at Best Buy, I saw a full aisle lined from one end to the other on both sides with two Marths per hook.

Heck, the only reason I even decided to collect the darn things is because I thought they were meant to be collectible.
Funny you should mention
When Faith and I were on the hunt in Walmart for Kirby, there was like 20 Splatoon Amiibos (Mostly Inkling Boy)
Kirby amiibo restock = PLEASE?

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Thanks guys... to be perfectly honest, the job was pretty new and I absolutely hated it anyway. Haha.

I did my best regardless, and it was sudden, but hey, I'm 21. I've got time to figure this all out. Gotta go get some stuff done for now, but... yeah, I'll be fine. Peace guys.

:ness:
Fortunately, it's easier to explain if it happened shortly after starting. Should a future employer ask about it, you just have to say "It simply wasn't a good fit, and in hindsight I agree with the decision. My talents can be put to better use elsewhere, and I'm eager to find that place where I can thrive and be my most productive."

Still sorry to hear, but fear not - your situation is far from hopeless.

Funny you should mention
When Faith and I were on the hunt in Walmart for Kirby, there was like 20 Splatoon Amiibos (Mostly Inkling Boy)
Kirby amiibo restock = PLEASE?
I'm surprised Kirby isn't stocked better. I feel like I have seen a pair of them floating around somewhere recently, but certainly not en masse (Attack). He's gotta be getting a re-release soon.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My only thing with Dark Pit is that by being an edgy parody, he really just became the archetype. Same with a lot of the KIU characters who try to do that.

Parodying an archetype well is really hard to do.
Dark Pit just looks like the archetype in Smash because the context in which he's introduced isn't there.

The satirical aspects were lost in the transition from KIU to Smash.

One point I'd like to make about this.
This post made me appreciate the game more, as before this post the thing that I disliked the most about KIU was how Viridi was portrayed sympathetically in spite of attempting genocide.
But viewed through this lens, it makes sense, it is satire of this kind of character getting away with things that they shouldn't.
KIU doesn't take itself seriously, save for a few story arcs where it definitely gets darker, not to mention it DOES have darker subtexts in regards to how the gods treat the world.

That's the charm of its story even though it isn't that deep and does miss some opportunities in regards to character and world development and exploration, but it's fairly interesting how it can be apparently one thing, but actually is something else if you look at it in more detail.

The story and world is more ****ed up than it seems, but it is masked in a layer of comedy with its zany writing. It's not a deep story, but it is well written nonetheless.

Does that explain why she hates literally everyone BUT Link (And partially Dark Pit)
I think it does :drshrug:
Pretty much.

Viridi is a textbook tsundere in all aspects of her character. It's just that the traits are exaggerated for the sake of comedy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom