• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It would be best not to talk about much, but it is a really unique game that I totally recommend if you liked the Mother series and weirdness. You will love the characters in the game.
Something inspired by Mother? Sounds interesting, I guess I'll have a look into it sometime. ^^;

D

Deleted member

I think most of the SF fandom was happier last year when they could get carried away with their dream SF Wii U game than this year after it was shown. :laugh:
From what I've seen, Star Fox Zero looks pretty amazing and felt very much like Star Fox 64 with some new innovations. Crazy how my opinions tend to differ from the masses so often. lol

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Can't help but feel conflicted, various things have popped up in my mind.

1. I'm sure Rocket League is a very good game on its own right, but Undertale losing to it makes me feel very Flowey.

2. People are going to use this as an excuse to avoid the game entirely, which I don't want to see.

3. The Undertale community is going to potentially be seen as a bad fanbase, which I don't want to see.

4. There's a chance people may get off the Undertale fanbase because of this.

5. It's times like these where you wish a website existed to let out your true inner feelings about something to Jerry so you can let go of the salt. It would be like 4chan, except your posts are kept private.
I dont see the Undertale Community as a bad community per say, it's just that the game has been over hyped for me. The amount of memes coming from the game is ridiculous. Truth be told, I would have felt the same way about Portal 1 or 2 if I had not played it right away.

The game is currently marketing better as an experience rather than a great game. "...You should play it so you can be filled with determination!" current fans will cry. But I'd argue that most of the people who say things like will forget about the game in six months, and jump onto the newest fad.

I'm sure a lot of people will still enjoy Undertale months after; after all I still love Portal 1 and 2 and hold it in high regard.

The main difference between Portal and Undertale in my head (WARNING: This is an opinion) was that people talked about Portal's gameplay. I haven't heard a single mention of how Undertale actually plays (I guess it's an RPG?)...and in fact I don't even know 100%. I just hear stupid memes coming from it which has filled me with determination to not enjoy the game at all. To actually address your points individually:

1. I completely understand that. Undertale beating Super Mario World in the GameFaqs poll made me feel salty.

2. I already explained what my "excuse" was, and why I'm avoiding the game. Being #2 or whatever won't excuse 90% of the people who have avoided Undertale. TBH, I'll probably wait a year or two like I'm doing with Shovel Knight so I can judge it on its own merits without the whole hype culture behind it.

3. See my post why I don't really care for the Undertale fanbase right now.

4. Those people that are leaving the fanbase are already moving onto the newest fad.

5. You can talk about your feelings on most websites. I have no idea what a Jerry is, and I don't really want to find out.

No me in the title.

I'm ashamed of you.
Fixed it for you.

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Geoff had his downs and ups, but that Konami burn I will remember fondly forever.

That and giving me first proper Zelda U gameplay, that was also very nice of him.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I dont see the Undertale Community as a bad community per say, it's just that the game has been over hyped for me. The amount of memes coming from the game is ridiculous. Truth be told, I would have felt the same way about Portal 1 or 2 if I had not played it right away.

The game is currently marketing better as an experience rather than a great game. "...You should play it so you can be filled with determination!" current fans will cry. But I'd argue that most of the people who say things like will forget about the game in six months, and jump onto the newest fad.

I'm sure a lot of people will still enjoy Undertale months after; after all I still love Portal 1 and 2 and hold it in high regard.
Sure it's overhyped, but IMO, I say people are addressing to gamers a gaming masterpiece, it's something that can last for a long time. It's essentially Mother 3, but loads of people actually paying attention to it now and not later and giving it a try. It's very easy to get into, and only just $10 on Steam.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm still half asleep, lying in bed.

Anyway, I thought the VGAs were quite good this time. There was nothing that PERSONALLY hyped me. The closest thing was Shaq Fu. But it had a lot of culturally significant moments and I can appreciate that. I think this specific iteration of the VGAs will be remembered for years to come by the gaming community.

Also #****Konami.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
I'm kind of surprised Bloodborne didn't win anything. That game was fantastic, and I'm still suffering through the DLC right now.
Don't agree with everything you said but I think you're on point here. I feel like I've been overexposed to Undertale- not because I've seen spoilers, but because every gaming corner of the internet I actually go to wouldn't stop talking about it, posting forced memes and really creepy fanart. All without really saying anything substantial about it.

It's actually killed my enthusiasm for the game. It looks strange and quirky, which is normally up my alley, but I almost feel like it's been tainted.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
My problem with the Undertale community is they won't stop talking about every aspect of it (aside from the gameplay strangely enough). It's like, it's apparently this huge experience to play the game, but the fandom also doesn't want me to experience it because they rather just spoil everything, and because it is so huge of a fanbase, it is almost impossible to avoid. And like I said, surprisingly I still don't know how it actually plays. I was actually confused watching the trailer for it.

I mean, I want to play the game. But I don't have the steam cash for it. So I guess I just have to endure it. And even though there are probably still other things to see in the game, I am less motivated because it's been somewhat spoiled for me.

D

Deleted member

Wow, I actually got Superb on Monkey Watch in Rhythm Heaven Fever. About damn time. lol

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Don't agree with everything you said but I think you're on point here. I feel like I've been overexposed to this game- not because I've seen spoilers, but because every gaming corner of the internet I actually go to wouldn't stop talking about this game, posting forced memes and creepy fanart. All without really saying anything about it.
If they were recommending the game for you and used "forced memes" and "fanart" to directly convince you, then yeah that's not the way to introduce a game.
But it's just people posting fanart and loving the game in general, and it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

If you want a reason to pick up Undertale, look up reviews like Jimquisition or Haedox and go from there. You'll find very informative reviews.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pretty much all I really see of Undertale is le funni skelebro meme

Which doesn't really catch my interest.

D

Deleted member

On another note, I was thinking of playing through one of my old Pokemon games. I'm feeling Gen 5. So... Pokemon White or Black 2?
>Pick White
>Do a Nuzlocke
>?????
>Death
I just realized something and it's bothering me.

Frederick doesn't have a trophy on either version of Smash 4. That's an absolute tragedy. Poor Frederick...
Most of the trophies are just characters that did well on the character poll(Inigo, Owain, Olivia, etc) with the only really relevant ones being Chrom, Validar, Tiki and Anna
And let's not get started on non-Awakening trophies
Today is December 4th, 2015. Xenoblade Chronicles X is now out in North America and Europe!

So, here's music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsUw4Hzex0M

Now I need to get myself a Wii U.
My hunt for Xenoblade X begins now
I really hope I can find it before Christmas

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
PushDustIn PushDustIn 's sentinements towards Undertale is partly what I feel; however, I have no problems with the game itself and more the fanbase than anything else.

It's not quite on their level, but Undertale is really quickly approaching FNAF levels of "be referenced absolutely everywhere". And I have to agree that's annoying. It is a case where I can still enjoy the game for what it is but the fanbase is something I'd rather not interact with.

D

Deleted member

I don't really care if a community has memes or whichever, or if they spread it all over the place. I mean, if people are enjoying the game, let them be happy, even if it may seem like overdone.

However, Undertale not winning anything at the VGA's is just life, really. Not always the thing you are wanting is going to win, I feel people need to realize that that the reason it's an award show is that there will be more games not receiving awards compared to games receiving awards. Not every fan favorite is going to win. That's okay, though. Let it be your favorite.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
PushDustIn PushDustIn 's sentinements towards Undertale is partly what I feel; however, I have no problems with the game itself and more the fanbase than anything else.

It's not quite on their level, but Undertale is really quickly approaching FNAF levels of "be referenced absolutely everywhere". And I have to agree that's annoying. It is a case where I can still enjoy the game for what it is but the fanbase is something I'd rather not interact with.
Yeah there's a lot of stuff that I like in and of itself but its fans terrify me.

Steven Universe for example.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Here's the thing, you shouldn't use fanart or fans to judge whether or not you should buy the game.

It doesn't feel like a very rational reason to avoid the game when you think about it more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*looks for Xenoblade X pricing in my country*
>R$+300,00
2015-10-26 13.25.08-1.jpg

where is my justice?

Khoru

Smash Champion
i mean it probably didn't win stuff because the panel just kinda glossed over it or whatever
rocket league is SPORTS. it's flashy and it's pretty quickly understandable. it can reasonably stand alongside AAA games in this corporate PR-fest. undertale is kinda.... its own thing. it's like mother. i think the only other "pixel" games even there were mario maker (partially) and axiom verge? so

to clarify, i don't mean that in a "they judged wrong" way
just justification

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really care if a community has memes or whichever, or if they spread it all over the place. I mean, if people are enjoying the game, let them be happy, even if it may seem like overdone.

However, Undertale not winning anything at the VGA's is just life, really. Not always the thing you are wanting is going to win, I feel people need to realize that that the reason it's an award show is that there will be more games not receiving awards compared to games receiving awards. Not every fan favorite is going to win. That's okay, though. Let it be your favorite.
Nothing wrong with memes, I was mostly just joking.

My point though is that most of what I see of Undertale is just Sans and Papyrus, or the characters in general doing quirky things.

But nobody has talked about the gameplay really. The only thing I understand is that fighting to kill is actually optional, and that there is some bullet hell system for dodging attacks or something. Those two points aren't that special on their own though. And I won't buy the game solely for cool characters. I haven't bought Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash or Mario Golf: World Tour despite those games having really cool portrayals of Rosalina, who's one of my favourite characters in fiction.

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
If they were recommending the game for you and used "forced memes" and "fanart" to directly convince you, then yeah that's not the way to introduce a game.
But it's just people posting fanart and loving the game in general, and it's not necessarily a bad thing at all.

If you want a reason to pick up Undertale, look up reviews like Jimquisition or Haedox and go from there. You'll find very informative reviews.
I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm not actually claiming that it's rational to have lost interest in it, and I know that there are places I can go to find legitimate informative opinions/write ups on the game.

The problem for me is that buying/playing a game isn't something I really do spontaneously. They cost money and take up a considerable amount of my time, and I'm less likely to do that with a game I'm tired of hearing about before I've even played it. Smash Bros is actually one of the very few series where I enjoy getting involved in the hype scene/community, and even then it can be kind of draining. I don't know what it is.

It might have something to do with colored expectations; when a game is made out to be the greatest, funniest, most charming thing ever made, I know that if I play it now, I'm constantly going to be evaluating my own opinion to see how it measures up. I also see people in that hype scene making sort of bombastic comparative claims. "It's like Earthbound, but better." How is it like Earthbound? How is it better? That once again forces me to start making comparisons. And I don't like doing that, because frankly that would be unfair to Undertale.

I'm still probably going to play it at some point, maybe when the dust has settled and people have taken a bit of a step back.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If fan art were a legitimate and widespread criticism of a game then I doubt FNAF would have as much raging success as it has.

This applies to any game, but here the comparison is made between two indies. Two indies that, coincidentally enough, have been rapidly gaining success ever since their release. The difference here is that at least with FNAF fans the story is at least heavily talked about and speculated. It's built up a decent lore that I admit is intriguing. Undertale fans really only talk about the Skelebros and DETERMINATION and whatever popular meme is out there. What's the plot, even at its most minimum without spoilers? What's this new mechanic setting it apart from other RPG's? What else can I do? Memes are fine, it's just striking a balance between those and worthwhile talk to attract potential buyers.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, Undertale's gameplay is nothing to write home about
As an RPG, it's terrible, you only get some depth to the combat if you DON'T fight anyone
As a bullet hell game, it works
Most battles are literally just avoiding things until you can spare the monsters or until you kill them
Some have a puzzle to figure out but that's it
You might as well import from the US, assuming you have a NA Wii U.
Yeah, I'm probably gonna do it
My parents are going to USA in this January iirc so I might just as well ask them to buy it there

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean for what it's worth, overhype doesn't turn me off a game and it's not what's turning me off Undertale (again, nothing has just really caught my interest in the game so far, I'm not actively turned off of it). Xenoblade Chronicles is overhyped in some areas yet I still am really enjoying the game so far.

Also have a funny Smash 4 video:

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
What's the plot, even at its most minimum without spoilers?
From what I heard, the main character falls down a hole or something like that. Guess they meet a bunch a monsters or they can either kill or spare. I guess they are trying to escape the hole or something. After that I don't know.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Undertale is as much a story book as it is a game. Most of its fun comes from playing with and subverting your expectations. And the fact that the game actually makes you own up to what you've done during the game.

I enjoyed the Bullet Hell aspect, because I happen to be a Touhou fan as well.

----------------------

And looking around here, I think I'm rather disconnected from the Undertale fanbase. While the skeleton brothers are indeed my favourite part of the game, they are nowhere near the main highlights of the game for me.

They are a just a *part* of the game's quirky and memorable cast.

-------------------------

I'll admit that I don't like hearing people bash the game without having played it, but I understand. That said, I don't really agree with judging a game or show from the fanbase though.

/endrant

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm not actually claiming that it's rational to have lost interest in it, and I know that there are places I can go to find legitimate informative opinions/write ups on the game.

The problem for me is that buying/playing a game isn't something I really do spontaneously. They cost money and take up a considerable amount of my time, and I'm less likely to do that with a game I'm tired of hearing about before I've even played it. Smash Bros is actually one of the very few series where I enjoy getting involved in the hype scene/community, and even then it can be kind of draining. I don't know what it is.

It might have something to do with colored expectations; when a game is made out to be the greatest, funniest, most charming thing ever made, I know that if I play it now, I'm constantly going to be evaluating my own opinion to see how it measures up. I also see people in that hype scene making sort of bombastic comparative claims. "It's like Earthbound, but better." How is it like Earthbound? How is it better? That once again forces me to start making comparisons. And I don't like doing that, because frankly that would be unfair to Undertale.

I'm still probably going to play it at some point, maybe when the dust has settled and people have taken a bit of a step back.
For what it's worth, Undertale is very easy to get into, as it is only $10.

If we made comparisons to Earthbound, we would be going to spoiler territory as it has a really good plot that should be learned through actually playing it, which I guess might be a con for us depending on the view.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Undertale is as much a story book as it is a game. Most of its fun comes from playing with and subverting your expectations. And the fact that the game actually makes you own up to what you've done during the game.

I enjoyed the Bullet Hell aspect, because I happen to be a Touhou fan as well.

----------------------

And looking around here, I think I'm rather disconnected from the Undertale fanbase. While the skeleton brothers are indeed my favourite part of the game, they are nowhere near the main highlights of the game for me.

They are a just a *part* of the game's quirky and memorable cast.

-------------------------

I'll admit that I don't like hearing people bash the game without having played it, but I understand. That said, I don't really agree with judging a game or show from the fanbase though.

/endrant

I'm not bashing the game, it's just nobody has given me a valid reason to buy it yet, that's all. Again, I don't buy games for characters alone or some vaguely promised "experience".

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean for what it's worth, overhype doesn't turn me off a game and it's not what's turning me off Undertale (again, nothing has just really caught my interest in the game so far, I'm not actively turned off of it). Xenoblade Chronicles is overhyped in some areas yet I still am really enjoying the game so far.

Also have a funny Smash 4 video:

Pretty much true.

And no surprises on him using :4zss: in the thumbnail.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If fan art were a legitimate and widespread criticism of a game then I doubt FNAF would have as much raging success as it has.

This applies to any game, but here the comparison is made between two indies. Two indies that, coincidentally enough, have been rapidly gaining success ever since their release. The difference here is that at least with FNAF fans the story is at least heavily talked about and speculated. It's built up a decent lore that I admit is intriguing. Undertale fans really only talk about the Skelebros and DETERMINATION and whatever popular meme is out there. What's the plot, even at its most minimum without spoilers? What's this new mechanic setting it apart from other RPG's? What else can I do? Memes are fine, it's just striking a balance between those and worthwhile talk to attract potential buyers.
(Extremely barebones) You are child who falls into a realm where monsters live away from humans. You can either fight them or befriend them. What you do decides the ending.

I'm not bashing the game, it's just nobody has given me a valid reason to buy it yet, that's all. Again, I don't buy games for characters alone or some vaguely promised "experience".
I never said it was directed to you (or anyone in particular.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know, I'm just making sure things are clear.

Tbh I probably won't ever play Undertale until I play the Earthbound games first since that's what everyone compares it to.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You don't need to play Earthbound to get a grip of what Undertale is.

Loads of famous gamers I know played the game without playing the Mother series.
The game is specifically touted as a homage to Earthbound, intentionally or not. I'd rather play the classic before the homage.

Neither are near high priority for me though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So overall, what point on the Cringe Scale would you rate the awards last night?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom