• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Konami ends their crappy year by getting crapped on.

It only makes sense.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm not salty at all (granted didn't watch) as it was silly to expect anything. I will say that Nintendo shouldn't of announced they'd be there though but oh well, they've done stuff like this for years, used to it by now lol.
It does make sense why they'd say they' be there though considering the Iwata Tribute.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
are people really still upset about broken age

also lol "don't support this game because the developer's a meanie"

Strofirko

Smash Master
Rocket League won sports category as expected,take that AAA industry,2 years in a row.:troll:

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Reminder that spoiler tags and warnings are not a catch-all for censored language. If an image has censored language in it, please don't post it on here at all.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not disappointed that there was no Nintendo announcement (well I am but it's not the main thing).

But the "big surprise" was a lacking Deadmau5 song with about 10 seconds of Super Mario World reference in it so they could still say it was related to video games. Also they mentioned it in the pre-show or at the start, IIRC. So it didn't surprise anyone.

I'm not lying when I say one of my best friends who is currently starting up music has more interesting tracks than that Deadmau5 track.

Seriously, go have a listen. He has two albums and they are both free (you can donate if you want to support him though).

http://nomein.bandcamp.com

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Not surprised with the lack of surprises! I'm just surprised people expected a surprise when Nintendo has never fully committed to the game award show. Plus the show was awful when I watched it two years ago, I don't expect it to ever be worthwhile.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
are people really still upset about broken age

also lol "don't support this game because the developer's a meanie"
I have no idea what that is, but from what I hear, he blew 3.3 million dollars. That isn't a laughing matter and something that should not be expected to be trusted easily.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I have no idea what that is, but from what I hear, he blew 3.3 million dollars. That isn't a laughing matter and something that should not be expected to be trusted easily.
"from what i hear" is the key phrase there
that didn't happen

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
You want to know what is ironic?

All the undertale fans who were mad the game lost after the GFaqs shenanigans.
double rigged

I admit I voted for Undertale purely because the reaction from GameFAQ's Current Events board was absurd. People were treating it like a huge deal, as if GameFAQs contests had integrity after L-Block and Draven won "Best Video Game Character" contests many years ago.

I mean, the contest is otherwise determined basically by nostalgia goggles

Mr.X98

Smash Journeyman
-Awkward spacing
-No Nintendo news
+Konami burn
+Melee HD joke
3/8 +at least deadmou5 ended it nintendo related in some manner
+telltale batman game
+psychonauts 2
+++ Well organized Iwata Tribute

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Dang, I wanted to see Konami get booed at.... Ill have to watch it later.

Disappointed at no Nintendo reveal, but it was to be expected.

Want Rocket League for my Xbox One now.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Decided to give my thoughts on the show. You know, what went well, what didn't, and so on.

THOUGHTS: Well, I got a few of my predictions right, and had some pleasant surprises. Over all I thought it was okay. The highlight for me was definitely the Iwata tribute. I thought it was really touching. Reggie's speech was really great. I teared up a little when he built up to calling Iwata his friend, and I can swear I saw him getting a bit misty-eyed as well.

I was pleasantly surprised that Splatoon beat out all those other titles for Best Multiplayer, and was really happy that Super Mario Maker won Best Family Game.

I enjoyed iJustine's segments, mainly because I think she's just enjoyable to watch in general. Nothing with her felt forced or "I don't want to be here." Her guests were great as well, especially John Vignocchi. Love that guy. He's always so nice whenever he gets interviewed, and it was awesome he straight up gave her a Kylo Ren Disney Infinity figure like that. He's always great like that. The only guest I felt was awkward and forced was DEADMAU5. I'm not exactly a DEADMAU5 fan to begin with, but even beyond that the interview just felt...awkward, like he didn't really want to be there and was blowing her off. Just the vibe I got anyway.

The Bud Lite segments were cheesy but not too cringey. I did really like the guy who did the Scorpion impression. That made me legitimately laugh.

As a side note I totally called Rocket League beating Undertale. I want that on record.

Kojima. Talk about an elephant in the room. So lawyer-type shenanigans prevented him from showing up, which is an utter shame. I do think it was handled pretty well though, considering the implied short-notice, and Geoff clearly respects Kojima, based on the way he talked about him. To segue, the performance of Quiet's Theme was nice. If only Kojima himself was there to see it. It was my favorite musical performance of the night.

That last sentence is an odd one, what with the fact that this is at an award show for video games. The first of the night was Chvrches. I hadn't heard anything about them before tonight, but according to Wikipedia they're a Scottish synthpop band. And that apparently Lauren Mayberry has a Masters in Journalism, so that's neat! Journalism majors represent! Musically they're not really my cup of tea, mainly because I'm not one for synthpop, but they sounded okay.

DEADMAU5 closed the show. I said above I'm not a fan of their music, so as you may imagine I wasn't keen on them closing out the show. I feel they could have done something more...relevant, I guess. Lindsey Sterling would have been the bomb-diggety, but that's my bias showing. Or maybe not. She likes games a lot, too, and would have added more...musical variety, I guess. But yeah that's also my bias.

On to the awards. Wow, The Witcher 3 swept up so many awards (and even won one that it wasn't meant to, but I'll get to that later). One of my best friends is really proud of his Polish heritage and often references it in some way, and he loves The Witcher 3, especially since the developers are Polish. Maybe I should look into that game. It got GOTY after all.

Bloodborne and Fallout 4 got blown out, didn't they? I don't recall either of them winning anything, unless I'm forgetting something. Ah well. Rise of the Tomb Raider, too, though that's at least softened a bit by Lara Croft Go winning Best Mobile Game.

I'm glad they didn't play the entirety of the three Indie movies, and instead only showed clips. I expected a lot more cringy-ness with them, so I was pleasantly surprised in that regard. I did cringe hard at that last one with the guy calling himself a lone wolf though.

Speaking of cringe, how about that pre-show? I won't let it affect the actual show since it was more so its own thing, but wow that part was bad. But hey, the worst part was over then, in my opinion.

Her Story sure made HIStory tonight huh? I'm ready to get pelted by tomatoes now. Bad puns aside, I know little about the game, with my only knowledge of it coming from the Wikipedia article I read on it today as I was making my predictions list. It seems like a very unique concept reminiscent in a way of the old text adventure type games from way back when. Plus, detective stuff is always cool. Glad it made a bit of a splash tonight. But man...the one other time I cringed due to the sheer awkwardness was when the one producer from Ubisoft said The Witcher 3 instead of Her Story...that was bad. Was something up with her? Something seemed off. It was kind of sad too because the actress from Her Story (I don't recall her name at the moment) seemed so happy the entire night.

Some pretty interesting things as far as premieres happened, but a lot of them were just teasers, so it's hard to comment on them. Three that stood out to me were Far Cry Primal, Uncharted 4, and the Rise of the Tomb Raider DLC. The former lets you attack people with sabretooth tigers and other prehistoric beasts in a Beastmaster type fashion that seems really awesome. You can attack people with birds, what's not to like? Uncharted 4 looks like it's shaping up rather well. I'm excited to see where it goes from there. And then there's Tomb Raider with the Baba Yaga DLC. The Baba Yaga's always been an interesting supernatural beast, so that seems right in line with Tomb Raider.

Conan was a surprise. Didn't expect him. Also I laughed at the Troy Baker/Nolan North joke. Sad but true. :p
The stuff that worked worked well. The things that didn't really stuck out. I know lots will be disappointed that Nintendo didn't do a reveal of anything, and even I thought we might see something, but still, I didn't expect too much beyond the Iwata tribute, and hey, they picked up two awards, which is two more than I expected them to. Some day we'll see more Legend of Zelda Wii U. Some day...

I think the whole thing could have been shortened by a half hour though. Cut one of the musical acts and such and streamline things a bit more. Some parts really seemed to drag even by awards show standards.

Over all I'd give it a solid 3/5. Lots of the awards were well deserved and some of the segments were either enjoyable, heartwarming, or in Iwata's tribute's case, sorrowful, but the show was held back by a longer-than-necessary run time and at least one unnecessary musical performance. I think it'll be better next year based on viewer feedback and such.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
double rigged

I admit I voted for Undertale purely because the reaction from GameFAQ's Current Events board was absurd. People were treating it like a huge deal, as if GameFAQs contests had integrity after L-Block and Draven won "Best Video Game Character" contests many years ago.

I mean, the contest is otherwise determined basically by nostalgia goggles
What are you people talking about? Undertale is in the Division III finals for GameFAQs best game of all time...

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I dont think that was GFaqs fault lol.

The fanbase tried super hard to get him to win. they talked about it all the time trying to vote. The LOL fanbase is pretty dumb >_>
Nah, I mean like the contests never had integrity because either Link or Cloud won or some bizarre fan rally won it, ala Draven. I'm pretty sure 4chan made L Block happen, not sure.

Really, though: Link winning "Best character" contests is indicative of their absurdity. LoZ is a fantastic game series, but Link is an iconic proxy, not a character in a traditional sense. Wind Waker Link is the closest, because he has expressions and more visible emotions due to the animated nature of the game. It's why Linkle doesn't bother me.

The worst thing about UnderRally is that it breaks brackets. It's going to win the contest most likely since it just gets stronger and stronger each round, so people betting on the predictable FFVII or Ocarina win will probably get tripped up.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Who even won Best Shooter?
In a perfect world, CS:GO and Team Fortress 2 would share the Gun Metal throne for Best Shooter for all of eternity.

If Battlefront won ima be mad

Chrono.

They said The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won Best RPG offhand when they picked up the GOTY award.

I don't remember if they did the same with Best Shooter though.
Hmm

Considering none of the other shooters there won anything else, I'll just say Splatoon won and call it a day.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Nah, I mean like the contests never had integrity because either Link or Cloud won or some bizarre fan rally won it, ala Draven. I'm pretty sure 4chan made L Block happen, not sure.

Really, though: Link winning "Best character" contests is indicative of their absurdity. LoZ is a fantastic game series, but Link is an iconic proxy, not a character in a traditional sense. Wind Waker Link is the closest, because he has expressions and more visible emotions due to the animated nature of the game. It's why Linkle doesn't bother me.

The worst thing about UnderRally is that it breaks brackets. It's going to win the contest most likely since it just gets stronger and stronger each round, so people betting on the predictable FFVII or Ocarina win will probably get tripped up.
If Undertale wins I'll laugh. It's an amazing game, my personal favorite, but best game of all time? More than likely not. You know there'll be so much salt and rage, it'll be amazing.

Chrono.

Huh

Undertale was also nominated in that Games For Impact category and lost to Life is Strange .

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Would I be considered mean if I said Undertale feels like a Flavor of the Month type of game?

It looks decent but like LISA, they just gonna get ignored by the top dogs in the indie scene.

It's why next year it's gonna be Mighty Number 9 vs Yooka-Laylee vs Bloodstained.
Even indie games aren't free from this.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Late to the party, but

Ed Boon and co. need to make a horror movie fighting game already.

As much as I dislike Tim Shaffer I do love me some Psyconauts. I'm torn.

Telltale I love you.

Reggie's tribute to Iwata was nice.

Oh, and ****onami.

Chrono.

The salt for Kombat Pack 2 is hilarious. Almost as good as Cloud's salt.

I mean I would've liked other MK characters too but geez.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So I just watched the Iwata tribute. I have to say it's pretty tactless to wubwubwub on the loudspeakers in between the slideshow and Reggie's tribute VGAs. >_<

Very nice words spoken by Reggie and even Geoff Keighley though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
i doubt yooka-laylee or bloodstained are coming out next year tbh
Wasn't Bloodstained stated for next year?

I know that because they been saying it was coming around in 2016

Soul.

Undertale being the best game of all time seems more like "I'm overrating it more than it is already!"

But it's GameFAQs so whatevs

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Lemme get this straight
Shaq Fu 2 has ACTUAL FOOTAGE. I need to see this
Psychonauts 2 is being made. Considering the high demand and what Tim's doing lately, I can guarantee it's going to disappoint people
Iwata Tribute. That's nice
Konami. ****onami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom