• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 2 Episode 23 A Chinatown Ghost Story

It's big trouble in little china

But with TMNT

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Remember guys, no begging/ asking for premium. If someone wants to gift you premium out of the kindness of their heart they can.

For a change of topic:

Would you guys rather have Sakurai come back for the next Smash, or not?
Firstly, @Chucklehead Tom didn't do it out the kindness of his heart, he did it to spite me :evil::evil::evil:

As for your question...

I wouldn't mind if Sakurai sat back in an advisory role while someone else takes the reigns. Obviously Sakurai is a brilliant dev, but after 4.5 games, anyone would feel like it's becoming stale.

Bring in a younger dev yet to make his name.

I really do wonder who would be given the responsibility. I can't really think of anyone I could see being the director. . .
Seems I've also made this thread into UnderZone.
I'll accept this.
It's been Underzone for a while. We talked about it a lot because I forced it down some people's throats. I've had Undertale avis all of October too but I needed some variety.

Last edited:

Chrono.

If another director took up the Smash mantle it's pretty likely Sakurai will still be involved as a supervisor of sorts.

Just sayin'

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I love how people still think /a/, /b/ & /v/ are the worst 4chan boards when it's just the fastest and edgiest boards.

You guys never went to /tv/ or /co/. Or /pol/.

Those are the worst boards
If another director took up the Smash mantle it's pretty likely Sakurai will still be involved as a supervisor of sorts.

Just sayin'
I can see him doing like what he did with Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. Especially considering Master/Crazy actually made their first non-Smash appearance ever and Kirby's Smash powerup

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So does anybody know how to change names? Champ Gold Champ Gold TELL ME EVERYTHING!!!

(I'm sorry)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I love how people still think /a/, /b/ & /v/ are the worst 4chan boards when it's just the fastest and edgiest boards.

We don't talk about /pol/.
Ever.
That's how bad it is. Never knew how bad /tv/ and /co/ were though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I'd definitely be interested in what another person would do with Smash, but there seems to be some thought in some people that think all the problems Sakurai has will automatically be gone. Ridley not being playable, clones, a more casual game, and bias towards their own creations? All removed when we get a new director!

Sakurai is a man I respect and what he has done with Smash is something special. While I would be fine seeing some new blood, it would be weird seeing Sakurai completely leave. I could at least see him being a supervisor over the project with a director making and creating his own ideas. That wouldn't be to bad actually.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

Oh yeah, /pol/ is a disgusting place.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Did Sakurai threaten to quit? Oh, he does that a few times every 5 years don't worry fellas

I love the man, I admire him, but he's not quitting I would bet.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, /pol/ is a disgusting place.
I'm almost inclined to believe it's a satirical/circlejerk board because of how extreme it is but that's probably more blind optimism that nobody in the world is like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Remember guys, no begging/ asking for premium. If someone wants to gift you premium out of the kindness of their heart they can.

For a change of topic:

Honestly? No, not really. I feel like it'd be more interesting to have new blood and that Sakurai could use a break anyway.

I would be fine either way. I just feel like that would be the more interesting way to go. Though you never know, it really all depends. Take these two scenarios for an example. On one hand, a new director could not be too far off from Sakurai when it comes to ideas and opinions. On the other hand, like most human beings, Sakurai could have a change of ideas and opinions over time. Thus perhaps fix some faults people had problems with. Not like he hasn't done so before.

But really, Smash 5 is still well ahead of us. I feel like this would be easier to answer if we were much closer to it. But at the moment.... Well, we're still debating on Smash 4's DLC..... Yeah, I just think we have ways to go until Smash 5.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
We don't talk about /pol/.
Ever.
That's how bad it is. Never knew how bad /tv/ and /co/ were though.
/tv/ is really bad only except for Bane meme. /co/ is just filled with so much complaining and it made hate the Steven Universe fanbase

You don't say?

I love how he was shown in an April direct and took us all the way until FREAKING OCTOBER to deconfirm his status.

Not other character didn't take that long and I didn't mind Ridley being in Smash

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I'm indifferent about whether Sakurai should lead.

Since we're on the topic of potential new directors for a new Smash game, what are your thoughts on an official Smash game being made by someone other than the Japanese?

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I love how he was shown in an April direct and took us all the way until FREAKING OCTOBER to deconfirm his status.

Not other character didn't take that long and I didn't mind Ridley being in Smash
The whole thing was completely insane and beyond frustrating. I'm really glad people have wisened up a bit and no theories like that have been cooked up for DLC.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Since we're on the topic of potential new directors for a new Smash game, what are your thoughts on an official Smash game being made by someone other than the Japanese?
I wouldn't know how to feel. They have to be a large team with experience in Smash Bros, fighting games and video game development in general. Not anyone can take on a task.

I could see Retro Studios and Next Level Games do it

Burb

The Absolute Worst

For a change of topic:

It's a pretty huge gamble. Having a new director or new developers pick up an IP can just as easily result in disaster as it could be a positive thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure it goes wrong more often than not. A lot of the people who say they want Sakurai to step down really don't seem put this into consideration.

Personally, I don't have any sort of problem with the way Sakurai is handling things, and I don't think any of the possible positives would be worth the risk of having the next Smash game fail to live up to the standards Sakurai has set with his work.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Did Sakurai threaten to quit? Oh, he does that a few times every 5 years don't worry fellas

I love the man, I admire him, but he's not quitting I would bet.
I think whenever he talks about not coming back he wants to convey that he "gave it his all" during development. In Melee he barely took a vacation, in Brawl he also worked 7 days a week (One day a week to work on his Famitsu Column/ other stuff) and in Smash for 3DS/Wii U he worked 10-12 hour shifts (He talks about it in a Famitsu Column we haven't translated yet).

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The whole thing was completely insane and beyond frustrating. I'm really glad people have wisened up a bit and no theories like that have been cooked up for DLC.

"Oh, Mewtwo is back? Well damn, I'm a shoo-in."

:4lucas:

"Okay, Lucas came back, when's my chance?"

:4feroy:

"Okay, Mewtwo and Roy from Melee, Lucas and Wolf from Brawl?"

*SFZ for November*

"Okay, I'll get in with SFZ."

*skips two rounds of DLC*

"I'll still get in with SFZ-"

*SFZ delayed*

"I WILL STILL GET IN WITH SFZ"

*ballot ends*

"SCREW EVERYTHING I'M ALL BUT A SHOO-IN"

*tbc*

Chrono.

"Oh, Mewtwo is back? Well damn, I'm a shoo-in."

:4lucas:

"Okay, Lucas came back, when's my chance?"

:4feroy:

"Okay, Mewtwo and Roy from Melee, Lucas and Wolf from Brawl?"

*SFZ for November*

"Okay, I'll get in with SFZ."

*skips two rounds of DLC*

"I'll still get in with SFZ-"

*SFZ delayed*

"I WILL STILL GET IN WITH SFZ"

*ballot ends*

"SCREW EVERYTHING I'M ALL BUT A SHOO-IN"

*tbc*
To be fair, as annoying as the shoo-in thing is, it's nowhere near as convoluted as the Ridley Shadow theories and the 3DS/Wii U connectivity theories that followed right after.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I think whenever he talks about not coming back he wants to convey that he "gave it his all" during development. In Melee he barely took a vacation, in Brawl he also worked 7 days a week (One day a week to work on his Famitsu Column/ other stuff) and in Smash for 3DS/Wii U he worked 10-12 hour shifts (He talks about it in a Famitsu Column we haven't translated yet).
Do you think Sakurai still works like that with DLC development at all?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To be fair, as annoying as the shoo-in thing is, it's nowhere near as convoluted as the Ridley Shadow theories and the 3DS/Wii U connectivity theories that followed right after.
Oh, I agree.

This is just Convoluted Theory 3: Revenge Of The Shoo-In Boogaloo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you think Sakurai still works like that with DLC development at all?
They seem to be taking it slowly with DLC all things considered. Sure, the Mii costumes and Stages are being pumped out like nobody's business, but it's not an entire game and they're taking their time with characters lately.
Oh, I agree.

I just want Shovel Knight, man.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The Ironic part to this entire situation? The fangame(and one of my favorites) Super Pokemon Eevee predicted this( sort of). In one town, a huge fire killed many miners and they have graves in the town to remember those who were lost. But some of the graves contain references. Two graves right next to each other are for Hideo Kojiima and David Hayter. While both aren't dead, their franchise/legacy basically is now. Sad, but funny in a way.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Oh, I agree.

The connectivity thing came from the whole Tower of Smash situation and that idiot lying and BS when the ESRB Leak was posted.

I kinda gave up after the whole All-Star lock theory died and ToS was just awful because everyone believed everything. And it was a Amazon leak and Great Cave Offensive that killed the leak. It just something people desperately cling on because there was no way the final roster had :4bowserjr::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
At this point the character DLC drought has been so long that I will take anyone as DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom