• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You can roll back within 30 days, I believe.

:231:
Apparently I never set that up on my computer

But, everything seems fine now

Except Almost all of my programs have a "lock" icon on them

It doesn't stop me from using them, but it looks stupid

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Apparently I never set that up on my computer

But, everything seems fine now

Except Almost all of my programs have a "lock" icon on them

It doesn't stop me from using them, but it looks stupid
You mean that blue-yellow shield icon? Yeah, it's annoying.

Chrono.

In other news, KOF plays like KOF, shocker I know.

Seriously though, that's second time a claim against the gameplay was debunked (this was about jumps being very floaty, which you can see it's not true, the other was that it was slower, which was also debunked).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Seriously though, that's second time a claim against the gameplay was debunked (this was about jumps being very floaty, which you can see it's not true, the other was that it was slower, which was also debunked).
Still won't debunk the claims of the game having low quality graphics for a PS4 from detractors. But it's the best they can do with limited resources.

Glad that few people actually defend the gameplay for being mostly unchanged from previous titles.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
D

Deleted member

Holy **** I just noticed you get the death penalty in AA when proven guilty. Pheonix Wright has to be the most pacifistic murderer I've ever seen!
Uh, what? Is this based on the japanese law system? Because damn, I now feel kinda bad for sending
Dee Vasquez to her death, it was self-defense after all but I don't think the judge cares about that
**** White and Karma though

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That article isn't really anything that special, in my honest opinion. It's pretty much a bunch of common storytelling tropes and character archetypes.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Uh, what? Is this based on the japanese law system? Because damn, I now feel kinda bad for sending
Dee Vasquez to her death, it was self-defense after all but I don't think the judge cares about that
**** White and Karma though
The death penalty gets mentioned a few times, including by Edgeworth in case 5 when you make Ema cry over something

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That article isn't really anything that special, in my honest opinion. It's pretty much a bunch of common storytelling tropes and character archetypes.
You entirely missed the point of the article. It wasn't trying to be special. It was just laying out how the game handled the archetypes.

I've always liked the story of the game and the article pretty much sums it up for me. Despite having no dialogue or extensive cutscenes, S3&K manages to have an extremely well constructed story with adventure, intrigue, and plot twists. And does so using one of the most successful storytelling theories.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Uh, what? Is this based on the japanese law system?
The entire series is a satire on Japan's law system.

That's why its so unfair, but the Japanese system IS that unfair.

Defense attorney's are apparently seen like janitors in Japan, no respect at all

Also holy **** this game is harder than the first, got a Guilty verdict and I haven't even beaten the second trial
Yup

And if you ask me, a lot more of the solutions are more obtuse than the first.

ignoring the parrot of cours

D

Deleted member

The death penalty gets mentioned a few times, including by Edgeworth in case 5 when you make Ema cry over something
Oh, now I remember
He says that because the victim was a detective and apparently that gives a bigger sentence, in this case, death penalty
If the movie is anything to go by too
Then White only gets thrown in prison and most likely Vasquez too
Karma probably got the death penalty with all the faked evidence on top of DL-6
Gant probably too since he commited two murders and faked evidence
I dunno, I think it depends on how strict the game's law system is

I meant fo say if death penalties are common in japan
Defense attorney's are apparently seen like janitors in Japan, no respect at all

Also holy **** this game is harder than the first, got a Guilty verdict and I haven't even beaten the second trial
That's what save states are for, you should never get a guilty verdict with them

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was looking at the screens, it looks really good. And can I just say
Holy **** Wulfric is strong.

Avalugg weighs over 1000 pounds, and he has bonnie, dedenne, and squishy on his back to and he bench presses them...

Jeez!
Wulfric confirmed as Whitebeard The Strongest Man in the Pokemon Universe next to that pirate from the Manaphy film.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You entirely missed the point of the article. It wasn't trying to be special. It was just laying out how the game handled the archetypes.

I've always liked the story of the game and the article pretty much sums it up for me. Despite having no dialogue or extensive cutscenes, S3&K manages to have an extremely well constructed story with adventure, intrigue, and plot twists. And does so using one of the most successful storytelling theories.
I dunno, TV Tropes explains everything that article did, but for so many other titles including Sonic 3.

But, hey, I'm not trying to censor you for telling your opinion. I just read the article and just thought how TV Tropes does more or less the same thing, hence why I think it's nothing that special. By no means, it's poorly written or anything.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, now I remember
He says that because the victim was a detective and apparently that gives a bigger sentence, in this case, death penalty
If the movie is anything to go by too
Then White only gets thrown in prison and most likely Vasquez too
Karma probably got the death penalty with all the faked evidence on top of DL-6
Gant probably too since he commited two murders and faked evidence
I dunno, I think it depends on how strict the game's law system is

I meant fo say if death penalties are common in japan

That's what save states are for, you should never get a guilty verdict with them
"Capital punishment is a legal penalty in Japan. It is applied in practice only for murder, and executions are carried out by hanging. The vast majority of death sentences are imposed in cases of multiple murders."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I dunno, TV Tropes explains everything that article did, but for so many other titles including Sonic 3.

But, hey, I'm not trying to censor you for telling your opinion. I just read the article and just thought how TV Tropes does more or less the same thing, hence why I think it's nothing that special. By no means, it's poorly written or anything.
TV Tropes is a much less cohesive format though, and doesn't reference stuff like the Monomyth like the article does.

TV Tropes lists and points out tropes, it's not for their explanations on a case by case basis.

The article format is much easier to digest.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

They have a 98-99% conviction rate, iirc.

Yes.

Japan's court system is considered one of the worst in the world.
That's dubious claim though. Where you hear that?

They have a high conviction rate, but that's only because the nearly all cases they take up are usually clear-cut.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yes.

At least I know the Impel Down from One Piece wasn't too far from paralleling that.

Or maybe the World Government is another parallel to the Japanese court system (Or classical execution methods for pirates).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I heard that criminals in Japan usually put the victim in a vegetative state instead of killing them

Kind of like a legal loophole thing

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They have a high conviction rate, but that's only because the nearly all cases they take up are usually clear-cut.
Do you really think that 99% of their cases only have guilty parties?

I'm not even getting into how bribe filled/corrupt they are.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Well, I mean it's based of Hawaii, what do you expect?

Yes.

So is that why the judge in AA is usually immensely phased in whatever either attorney says?

Either way, death penalty was always just a scary thought to me.

Never really thought about law trials in different countries, actually... Huh. everything's a lot different when you look outside your own country, sometimes.

D

Deleted member

You just had to see my reaction when von Karma said
"Would you like to cross-examine the witness's pet parrot?"
I knew I had the case solved... then it turned out he had retrained her
Talk about paranoic

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Well, when the game look like trash when it was first shown off, people were expecting another Maximum Impact but SNK threw those fears away, now help and port this game to Xbox One and PC so the player base will be even larger and I can play

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Do you really think that 99% of their cases only have guilty parties?

I'm not even getting into how bribe filled/corrupt they are.
Remember that Japan has an extremely low crime rate, like 2-3 murders in the entire country per year.

Also most prosecutors only take up cases in which they are sure of winning, so it's not exactly surprising.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
IGN must hate people because people are like 70% water
Aren't THEY people too, though?

Unless...

*BREAKING NEWS!*

MEDIA REVIEW WEBSITE IGN (Imagine Games Network) IS REVEALED TO BE RAN BY MAGMA MONSTERS!

Here's what one IGN founder, Jonathan Simpson-Brit, had to say:

"And we would've gotten away with it, too... If it wasn't for that meddling game company and their dumb game!"

Stay tuned until 9, where we got the juiciest facts about *insert whatever the **** Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber is doing* RIGHT HERE!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Remember that Japan has an extremely low crime rate, like 2-3 murders in the entire country per year.

Also most prosecutors only take up cases in which they are sure of winning, so it's not exactly surprising.

Wait, Japan has fewer crime rates...Because of the stricter laws, correct? Damn, looking at the death penalty, it's much more fair than murderers and the like only having to do little jobs. Hell, there was a guy who was brutally beaten for no reason and the government decided to be easy on the culprit because he was a minor. ****ing hell, the Dutch are screwed in more ways than one

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I disagree with death penalty for two reasons:
1. What if someone was incriminated and the state executes a not-guilty party?
2. Death is far too good of a punishment for homicidal scum, anyway. Murderers and the like are better off locked in complete isolation (read: solitary cell) for the rest of their lives.

How come any legal system never thought of this is beyond me. I disagree with any country not having life sentence as much as I disagree with death penalty.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I disagree with death penalty for two reasons:
1. What if someone was incriminated and the state executes a not-guilty party?
2. Death is far too good of a punishment for homicidal scum, anyway. Murderers and the like are better off locked in complete isolation (read: solitary cell) for the rest of their lives.

How come any legal system never thought of this is beyond me. I disagree with any country not having life sentence as much as I disagree with death penalty.
Frontier justice is a hard one to shake. It's just one of those practices that's been around as long as man, and it will take a long time to shake the practice. But there have been positive strides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom