• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Society may not gain anything, but when I think that many people are affected by the murder of someone, I think giving criminals a taste of suffering is suitable.

But I suppose there's no right answer to this, now is there?

We could debate all night, yet find no solution...
Let's just say I very strongly disagree with that line of thinking.

Torturing a criminal like that, even if he's the most ruthless murderer on the planet is a not a good idea.

Do have any idea how that would mentally affect the jail staff, you know, people doing the torturing? Treating any creature like that has a very, very negative long term effect on both the person torturing and the person being tortured.

Even executioners had very terrible mental health, although they didn't know the person they were executing. They grow insensitive to death and suffering, and often start enjoying it themselves. That's really messed up.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
It's not the place of a government to decide that certain people are worth torturing even if they're madmen.

At least killing is done out of perceived necessity and order.

Torturing is just done to get back at someone.

It's revenge.

And revenge is what destroys people.
You're post are making me question myself.

That's a good thing.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
No, the entire thing exists just to protect people's moral integrity and sanity.

When someone is killed in war, someone still goes after that killer, even if only indirectly.

The actual course of action is the same as if you "unlawfully" killed someone. The only difference is that your own country won't be the one doing it.

I'm not saying I inherently have some problem with soldiers, far from it. I'm just putting it like it is. That "technicality" does not change the literal process of what is happening while someone is being killed on the battlefield, and what happens afterward. The "technicality" only exists to protect people's mental state. Which is fine, I'm just not falling for it myself.
That doesn't actually change my point...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
God damn guys this is a stupid thread about video games. When the hell did the moral evaluation of killing a man become a thing?

I am legitimately lost right now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not the place of a government to decide that certain people are worth torturing even if they're madmen.

At least killing is done out of perceived necessity and order.

Torturing is just done to get back at someone.

It's revenge.

And revenge is what destroys people.
Well, I could argue that killing someone for killing falls into the definition of revenge.

Let's just say I very strongly disagree with that line of thinking.

Torturing a criminal like that, even if he's the ruthless murderer on the planet is a not a good idea.

Do have any idea how that would mentally affect the jail staff, you know, people doing the torturing? Treating any creature like that has a very, very negative long term effect on both the person torturing and the person being tortured.

Even executioners had very terrible mental health, although they didn't know the person they were executing.
Hmm, I suppose you do have a point...

Even normal prison guards are affected by their daily jobs of keeping the criminals in order. A respectable job, for it's not one that anyone could handle, to be honest.

And, given some people are getting uncomfortable with how the conversation has evolved into the current subject, I think it's about time we move on.

I will admit that this whole debate was a fairly interesting one and thought-provoking. I like hearing different points of view, after all... But, indeed, this isn't the most appropriate place for these kind of discussions.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That doesn't actually change my point...
It does, because you simply stated that it's just legal when someone is killed in a war.

It's not "just legal" though, if only one country accepts it as such, and the matter concerns more than one country.

At the end of the day, killing is understandable if you need to or are ordered to by your own country's law. But it's not gonna be accepted as a universally legal thing, because at the end of the day, some legal construct will have a problem with what you did.

Well, I could argue that killing someone for killing falls into the definition of revenge.
Not inherently.

If your reasoning for killing someone is "because they killed someone I care about", that's revenge.

If your reasoning for killing someone is "because they are a legitimate threat to society", that's not revenge.

Giving someone the death penalty is done under the latter reasoning.

Also only one person has expressed any problem with the discussion.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can the people complaining about the topic shut up?

I understand that its heavy stuff but if it makes you that uncomfortable, then either listen or let the others debate the point in peace.

Complaining about it is just childish.
EDIT:

Oh well that happened.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
God damn guys this is a stupid thread about video games. When the hell did the moral evaluation of killing a man become a thing?

I am legitimately lost right now.
I don't think even the debate hall has had a serious discussion like this in a while. :laugh:

:231:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And, given some people are getting uncomfortable with how the conversation has evolved into the current subject, I think it's about time we move on.
I second this. New topic.....Peanut butter and its hilarious effect on the canine.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Time to start writing that scene now that I have the inspiration for it. ****'s about to get harder than the first war around Chapter 10 with everything taking place in the air and moar explosions. Not to mention the possible fodder death since the opposing force's have the better defense and offense.

And thank you for giving me an idea of what to do with my brother's dog Cyn Cyn . :evil:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
why waste peanut butter on screwing with our four legged friends when we can just put that peanut product on a sandwich?
Because dogs need to know the manna that is peanut butter. Consider it mankind's gift to our best friend.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
I second this. New topic.....Peanut butter and its hilarious effect on the canine.
Nothing tops a Pet+Item synergy like Cat+Duct Tape.

Dunno what happens to dogs and peanut butter, though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And thank you for giving me an idea of what to do with my brother's dog Cyn Cyn . :evil:
Poor dog. Why must you hate the adorable dachshund? :(

Now I want to think about feeding peanut butter to my fi... oh wait that would kill them.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Peanut Butter is something I've never eaten. I want to try though.

I find that it's best either cold or with something. Especially chocolate.
I don't know what it's like over there but America has a crapton of peanut butter chocolate fusions. From candy, to cereal, to even condiments.

I don't know about drinks though. At least I've never seen them.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because he hates me.

And instead you got a like. Backfired.

Every time you say that it still surprises me. I'm tempted to ship you a container of Jif.
But I love you Cyn.

Not more than @Hong but I still love you

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We should all pitch in to give Fal some peanut butter.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Even if I really wanted to try it, I can't have peanut butter. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to the stuff. Same with any kind of nut or nut product.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Poor dog. Why must you hate the adorable dachshund? :(
A dog that has no form of personal training, tears library books, bury trash under beds, eat things that are obviously poison to them, doesn't want to go outside to ****, mates with the cat, hates going on walks, and attack house guests is anything but poor. The worst part is that he stills behaves that way after losing his "jewels".

Yes, that dog is monster and not a regular dog. And I bid you all farewell.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I find that it's best either cold or with something. Especially chocolate.
I don't know what it's like over there but America has a crapton of peanut butter chocolate fusions. From candy, to cereal, to even condiments.

I don't know about drinks though. At least I've never seen them.
Peanut Butter is virtually unknown here, and is hard to find in smaller towns like where I live.

I could order it online I guess, but ordering edible stuff through mail would be weird.

Take knife
Take jar of peanut butter
Take peanut butter with knife
Get Ritz crackers.
Put peanut butter on cracker with knife
Enjoy
Repeat until fat

The proper way to live.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Huh. So it does exist.
Good on ya Peanut Hottie.
(Also maybe change that name whoever you are it sounds silly.)
Are you telling me that you AREN'T attracted to everyone's favorite condiment... IN DRINK FORM?!

Trust me, for me, that's a dream come true.
Take knife
Take jar of peanut butter
Take peanut butter with knife
Get Ritz crackers.
Put peanut butter on cracker with knife
Enjoy
Repeat until fat

The proper way to live.
Make sure those Ritz are the extra butter kind, even if they taste like ****.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Peanut Butter is virtually unknown here, and is hard to find in smaller towns like where I live.

I could order it online I guess, but ordering edible stuff through mail would be weird.

I order astronaut ice cream all the time through Amazon. If that is weird, then call me.....something.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I probably can't eat peanut butter even if I want to. Just got my second half of my braces put on today. :\

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So...has anyone else here been playing the new FE4 patch? Or FE4 in general.

I have...probably too much, tbh. I find FE4 addicting in the same way that Civ is. I.e., a "let's see what happens in one more turn" kinda way.

I just got to the second gen. Mostly went with conventional parings(i.e. Holyn x Ayra, Lewyn x Tailte and such), but I also did Azel x Raquesis and Noish x Erin as well. I also did Alec x Sylvia, but that was on accident. >_>

woo, yay for eugenics!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
A dog that has no form of personal training, tears library books, bury trash under beds, eat things that are obviously poison to them, doesn't want to go outside to ****, mates with the cat, hates going on walks, and attack house guests is anything but poor. The worst part is that he stills behaves that way after losing his "jewels".

Yes, that dog is monster and not a regular dog. And I bid you all farewell.
Can't blame him, he has no mate. So he would have to find ways of controlling those urges some how when he's in heat.

And now we are discussing the interspecies equivalent of sodomy. :urg:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I order astronaut ice cream all the time through Amazon. If that is weird, then call me.....something.
Funny thing, a local candy store at a mall I go to sells that.
They also have Tabasco flavored Jelly Beans and those weird lollipops with the bugs inside them.

On a side note, turns out Tabasco isn't a good flavor. I learned that the hard way.

Are you telling me that you AREN'T attracted to everyone's favorite condiment... IN DRINK FORM?!

Trust me, for me, that's a dream come true.
To be honest I've never been much of a peanut butter guy. On occasions I'll crave it, but it's not something I tend to actively search out for.
Then again I'm also that boring guy who likes vanilla. So...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, it may not be weird there.

Like, buying groceries from a supermarket is normal there but not here.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well, it may not be weird there.

It is only weird if you bandy it about.

But think of how popular you would be with the only jar of peanut butter for miles around. People would come from neighboring communities just to catch a glimpse of the elusive peanut butter jar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom