• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
PLEASE MAKE THIS MEAN A DAMN FINE ADAPTATION OF THE METROID MANGA
I have a feeling they've been eyeing stuff like Ratchet and Clank and Angry Birds, and since the latter has been getting some pretty okay reviews, they've decided to go ahead with their movie plans.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yo of my knowledge.
Here's the list of Pokemon evos to lose a type, in one form or another, via Evolution.
  1. Gloom -> Bellosom
  2. Onix -> Steelix
  3. Scyther -> Scizor
  4. Surskit -> Masquerain
  5. Nincada -> both Ninjask and Shedinja
  6. Swablu -> Altaria
  7. Altaria -> Mega Altaria
  8. Aggron -> Mega Aggron
  9. Kirlia -> Gallade (as of Gen 6)
10-18: Every Eeveelution

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yo of my knowledge.
Here's the list of Pokemon evos to lose a type, in one form or another, via Evolution.
  1. Gloom -> Bellosom
  2. Onix -> Steelix
  3. Scyther -> Scizor
  4. Surskit -> Masquerain
  5. Nincada -> both Ninjask and Shedinja
  6. Swablu -> Altaria
  7. Altaria -> Mega Altaria
  8. Aggron -> Mega Aggron
  9. Kirlia -> Gallade (as of Gen 6)
10-18: Every Eeveelution
Also...
Charizard->Mega Charizard X
Gyarados->Mega Gyarados
Azurill->Marril
Skorupi->Drapion
Fletchling->Fletchinder
Pupitar->Tyranitar
Skrelp->Dragalge

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
INB4 it's terrible like R&C allegedly is. </3

EDIT
approximate time frame
In house is good. Means no matter how bad it is, it'll at least not completely toss the games out the window the way the Super Mario Bros movie did. That's probably exactly why they're doing it this way if this is legit, too.

Just don't let Miyamoto or Sakamoto touch anything and it should at least be decent. Should.

I kinda want them to get into TV shows again too, though. Like, KI:U was practically already a TV show in video game form.

Chrono.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give a starter a secondary type if its evolutions wouldn't keep it
Well it's been done before, to be fair, just not with starters.

Look no further than Skorupi losing it's Bug type, Scyther losing it's Flying type, Nincada losing it's Ground type (and Ninjask losing it's Flying type), among others.

Even if it did lose it's Flying type to gain Ground there's a chance it might still learn Flying type moves like Fly and others.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
If they finally go into the movie business, Nintendo will go with this plan early

• Start off early with a Mario motion picture as the kickoff so it can easily slip in to the works. Make it simple and easy to enter your way into the movie business
  • Then have it be your major success and THEN you can enter in the IPs people want (i.e. Zelda, Metoid, etc...)

Have Mario be the gate to open your IPs up to movies and have the smaller series (Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Splatoon) into animation like Television and Anime.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
In house movies? That can either be really good or really bad.

Marvel Studios is good because they bought the talent together to make something great.

Hopefully they do production in America. Not that Japanese films are bad... but if they really want to get off the ground they'll need to be where the action is.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In house is good. Means no matter how bad it is, it'll at least not completely toss the games out the window the way the Super Mario Bros movie did. That's probably exactly why they're doing it this way if this is legit, too.

Just don't let Miyamoto or Sakamoto touch anything and it should at least be decent. Should.

I kinda want them to get into TV shows again too, though. Like, KI:U was practically already a TV show in video game form.
I actually think Miyamoto should work on any animations Nintendo intends to make.

His "no story" thing and bad storytelling only really applies to games.

He worked on the Pikmin Shorts and the Star Fox anime and both turned out great (well I haven't watched the former myself but I've heard good things).

He's actually talked about how he kinda wants to do animation more than game development now.

I only ask that Yoshiaki Koizumi get to work on something related to Nintendo movies, since he has a background and education in film.

In house movies? That can either be really good or really bad.

Marvel Studios is good because they bought the talent together to make something great.

Hopefully they do production in America. Not that Japanese films are bad... but if they really want to get off the ground they'll need to be where the action is.
How does the location have anything to do with it if they're talking about 3D animated movies?

Last edited:

Chrono.

If they finally go into the movie business, Nintendo will go with this plan early

• Start off early with a Mario motion picture as the kickoff so it can easily slip in to the works. Make it simple and easy to enter your way into the movie business
  • Then have it be your major success and THEN you can enter in the IPs people want (i.e. Zelda, Metoid, etc...)

Have Mario be the gate to open your IPs up to movies and have the smaller series (Star Fox, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Splatoon) into animation like Television and Anime.
We're getting Mii Sports: The Movie first, are we?

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

I did personally enjoy that movie, though.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
We're getting Mii Sports: The Movie first, are we?
Only if you want it that way.

Mario is the obvious one to get a movie first due to it being bigger and just a way to open the door.

Plus it should always get first bid. Miis ain't getting jack. Mario will forever get first bite in the motion picture world.

Although I still believe a Mother/Earthbound movie made in the same vein as the Goonies will be amazing if Itoi is a major part of it and it follows the story of the games well

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I actually think Miyamoto should work on any animations Nintendo intends to make.

His "no story" thing and bad storytelling only really applies to games.

He worked on the Pikmin Shorts and the Star Fox anime and both turned out great (well I haven't watched the former myself but I've heard good things).

He's actually talked about how he kinda wants to do animation more than game development now.

I only ask that Yoshiaki Koizumi get to work on something related to Nintendo movies, since he has a background and education in film.

How does the location have anything to do with it if they're talking about 3D animated movies?
Well in light of this I guess he can go on ahead, then.

If anything if this is what he really wants to do then he might actually be better suited to this than to being assigned to any kind of game development. He'll probably put more passion into it if he prefers it.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
*sees pink name*

WHICH ONE OF YOU.

Trust me, Shift + G is the right answer here.

If I select a wood texture on Destiny Islands, do this step, and it still doesn't select every wooden object, the reason for this is because some parts of the geometry have textures that look near identical, if not flat out are identical in appearance. This is because this model uses multiple textures that look very similar, or uses copies of a texture on different objects. Images demonstrating this are in the spoiler.

As you can see, the walls in the first Blender image and the dock in the second image, use the same texture, but for some reason, the dock is using copy number 6 of said texture, while the walls use the original. This is most likely because the two sets of faces have their own object data due to originally being separate objects. In the case of the hut roof in the third image, it's using a different texture, that happens to look the very same before close inspection. The file name indicates it's a completely different texture, though.

If you say, for example, wanted to re-texture all three of these sets of faces with the same texture, and wanted to quickly select them all at once to do that, here's how you do so. I'll go through it from beginning to end in case you are missing something:

First you select a single face. In this case, I select one on the walls near the dock.

Then you press Shift + G, which brings up the following menu. You select "Image".

Then when you do that, all faces with the same copies of the same image texture, will be selected, like this:

However, some faces with textures that look the same, will not be selected:

This is because these faces are using either a different, albeit similar looking texture, or are using a copy of the same texture (which to Blender, means it may as well be a different texture altogether).

However, you can still select these faces quickly, while keeping the rest of the selection. Simply hold Shift and select another face you want - in this case, an unselected part of the hut roof.

And simply do Shift + G > Image again. This is the result.

As you can see, it added the unselected patch of the hut roof to the selection, without undoing any of our previous selection. It also added a part of the door on the right platform, since it was obviously using the same copy of the same texture as the patch of the hut roof we just selected.

So with that, just keep doing this for all of the unselected parts, and you can have all of the plank wood textured areas selected in no time at all.

A couple of repeats of this process later (and it only took a minute), and I have gone and selected every texture that can be described as being wooden in some way, and only those textures.

From here you can do whatever you need to with them. Like applying a new texture to all selected faces.

Or you could change the faces in some way, like extruding them. Whatever you need to do.

Also I just downloaded this model from Models Resource.
But that's just the problem. The models I rip have thousands of separate objects, each with their own material and texture copy. So shift + G doesn't work. When I do it on a texture, it only selects that particular "copy" of the texture. It doesn't select all the faces that share the texture file itself, even after I join all the object together.

...Also, happy 3rd anniversary to me, I guess.

----

D

Deleted member

To be honest the only thing i hope about these "Nintendo movies" is that none of them are live action.

Im sorry, but i don't see any Nintendo series working on Live-Action (except maaaaaaybbeeee Metroid, but that's it)

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
To be honest the only thing i hope about these "Nintendo movies" is that none of them are live action.

Im sorry, but i don't see any Nintendo series working on Live-Action (except maaaaaaybbeeee Metroid, but that's it)
Well the tweet DID specify 3D animation, so you might just be in the clear.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
*sees pink name*

WHICH ONE OF YOU.

But that's just the problem. The models I rip have thousands of separate objects, each with their own material and texture copy. So shift + G doesn't work. When I do it on a texture, it only selects that particular "copy" of the texture. It doesn't select all the faces that share the texture file itself, even after I join all the object together.

...Also, happy 3rd anniversary to me, I guess.

----
From the last time I looked around online and tinkered around in Blender, there is no other way to do this, though. If your model is using thousands of copies of the same texture, then they are basically different textures in Blender's eyes, meaning there is no way to select every instance of the same texture, because they are being read as different textures altogether.

The only thing I can suggest is maybe try finding a more efficient way of ripping the model so that there isn't so many copies of the same texture, and so you don't have to do the process I described as many times. I don't know anything about ripping models myself, so I unfortunately cannot help with that.

All I know is that the process and functions I described is intended for the kind of job you're trying to do, so I can only suggest simplifying the model rip or something. Though if you want, send me a link to the model and I can have a look at it myself. It's somewhat hard to see the issue if I don't have the model myself.

I know most Kid Icarus fans want that to go anime because let's face it, near the entire KI fandom since Uprising is anime enthusiasts.

But I honestly think it could work really well as live action.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I can see both Metroid and Zelda working for live action...of course stuff like Kirby would be better handled with 3D animation, Fire Emblem maybe, but that definitely fits with the anime style it has...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I know most Kid Icarus fans want that to go anime because let's face it, near the entire KI fandom since Uprising is anime enthusiasts.

But I honestly think it could work really well as live action.
In which case: Tom Holland as Pit based solely on his glorified cameo as Spider-Man in Civil War.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
PLEASE MAKE THIS MEAN A DAMN FINE ADAPTATION OF THE METROID MANGA
CGI or live action, I just want a GOOD Metroid movie.

Other M with all its reliance on long cutscenes and drama can pass off as a movie, but only as really bad one.

Practicing smash for the first time in what feels like months. How the **** do I play this again?

It would help if I didn't drop the only character I played consistently.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In terms of what they could do with some Nintendo franchises for movies:

I honestly think Mario is much better suited to an animated TV series like Popeye or Sonic Boom, but I suppose a Mario feature length CGI film is inevitable if Nintendo is going into movies.

In that case, the only thing I can think of is that it's the typical "save the Princess" plot, but instead of it being just Mario, he builds up a crew over the course of the film with characters like Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, and Wario, and they deal with characters like the Koopalings along the way to Bowser's Castle. Then they could have cutaway scenes with Bowser and Peach and whatever antics they are getting up to in the castle. They could for example, have Bowser want to play video games with Peach, but she's better than him at all of them, or they're all really bad and drive Peach insane. And since straight up comic book brawls would probably be out of place for a Mario film, a lot of the challenges they could do along the way could be some really comically arbitrary stuff. For example, Wendy forces them to play a Mario Party board. Roy makes them race in Mario Kart against a biker gang of Koopa Troopas. Stuff that references all of the different kinds of Mario games.

And when the crew finally gets to Bowser's Castle, they could have a sequence where they all have to split up to gather keys and stuff, and they overcome different challenges. For example, Luigi gets trapped in a room with Boos and has to deal with that. Wario goes to find the key, but he could get distracted by a vault full of money that's blocked by a room full of trip lasers that detonate if he crosses them, and he fills the room with his own fart gas to see them (it's stupid but I think it would be funny).

Other than that, all I can think of is that Galaxy or Sunshine could possibly be adapted into movies (though we don't need that - tbh, I'm actually kinda actively against Rosalina showing up on the big screen), or they make a full on Mario Kart movie.

I feel like it's self-explanatory, and really, any visual style could work for Zelda. I mean Zelda is typically just the tale of a young boy destined for great heroics, and since that's been done to death in movies, it should be a natural thing to adapt. I don't think they should base it off any particular game though, or try to make it canon to the timeline. Just have the basic stuff like Link, Zelda, and Ganon/Ganondorf, the Triforce and the Goddesses backstory, and all that. Everything else in between they can do whatever with. Have Skull Kid have a little part, have Midna show up somehow. Honestly, they can go full Hyrule Warriors with this if they want. Heck, that game's specific plot could probably make for a good movie plot if fleshed out some more, now that I think about it. If they DID choose a specific game to adapt, I'd like it to be Wind Waker, but that's my bias talking, partly.

Honestly of all the Nintendo IPs, I think Star Fox just flat out makes the most sense. Like the lore and backstory of the series is perfect for it, plus you have the iconic character banter from the games to work off of and incorporate into the movie. And now with the animated short, I can easily see a movie coming out of Star Fox. Just start off with James McCloud's mission on Venom, then cut to Fox in the academy and showing how Star Fox was put together, and then that builds towards their first mission on Corneria, and then they set off for Andross. Seriously, this writes itself. And an art style like the animated short, or just a more typical CGI, could work perfectly. They could even give characters like Kat and Bill more of a role.

That's about it for now.

Last edited:

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
I'm wondering if there's gonna be a Donnel-ese character in Overwatch where your stats go up everytime you kill an enemy, and maybe an ultimate where pair up with another hero, make yourself a person tower, and rampage as that (Kinda like that mechanic in Pokémon Rumble Blast).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh yeah.

I need to do another hunger games thing.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I want Nikki Minaj as Tiny Kong. :secretkpop:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
One day, there will be a video game movie that isn't considered terrible or subpar at best.

After Ratchet and Clank failed, I'm currently trying to hold onto the hope that JJ Abrams, being a brilliant director, will be able to do some justice to the Half-Life and Portal series on the big screen, as he has film adaptions of both of those in the works.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
One day, there will be a video game movie that isn't considered terrible or subpar at best.

After Ratchet and Clank failed, I'm currently trying to hold onto the hope that JJ Abrams, being a brilliant director, will be able to do some justice to the Half-Life and Portal series on the big screen, as he has film adaptions of both of those in the works.

Well this one got me into the series it's based on so I'd consider it pretty darn good.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Rowlett fans are setting themselves pretty high. They'd better hope it's final form delivers or their in for a big fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom