• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Comparing a console to a handheld is really stupid, especially since Japan ADORES handhelds. 3DS has absolutely decimated Vita both in terms of sales and library, that is no debate.

Wii U is a flop in terms of sales but has a really strong library. Vita is a flop in both.
The library and regional preferences are literally irrelevant though.

If one sold better than the other, it was the more successful one. No ifs, ands, or buts about that.

Game sales are a separate thing since much of the money from them goes towards the developers and publishers of said games, and even in cases where the same company who made the system is receiving money from game sales, that revenue gets allocated to a different sector than the console sales.

Also, the strength of a library is subjective. Vita had more 3rd party support in it's small lifetime than the Wii U ever achieved. If someone doesn't give a damn about Nintendo's IPs, they will automatically prefer the Vita because the Wii U has no third party support. Especially since many of the Wii U installments in established Nintendo franchises were critically panned or were considered disappointing to some degree.

Here's why I'd say Vita flopped harder. Sony just left it there, hoping it'd be able to sell itself, giving no reason for people to get it. Nintendo kept making games for the Wii U, and although it isn't successful either, Nintendo's still pushing it, giving people a reason to get it. Tell me, why should I get a Vita? The Wii U gave people Smash, Zelda, Mario, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, blablabla. Vita has zero selling points, as the only games worth a damn on it are on PS4 aswell
Implying Nintendo hasn't been virtually doing what Sony did with the Vita, for the last 6 months, and that they aren't continuing to do so until the NX launches.

The Wii U has nothing of note on the horizon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The library and regional preferences are literally irrelevant though.

If one sold better than the other, it was the more successful one. No ifs, ands, or buts about that.

Game sales are a separate thing since much of the money from them goes towards the developers and publishers of said games, and even in cases where the same company who made the system is receiving money from game sales, that revenue gets allocated to a different sector than the console sales.

Also, the strength of a library is subjective. Vita had more 3rd party support in it's small lifetime than the Wii U ever achieved. If someone doesn't give a damn about Nintendo's IPs, they will automatically prefer the Vita because the Wii U has no third party support. Especially since many of the Wii U installments in established Nintendo franchises were critically panned or were considered disappointing to some degree.

Implying Nintendo hasn't been virtually doing what Sony did with the Vita, for the last 6 months, and that they aren't continuing to do so until the NX launches.

The Wii U has nothing of note on the horizon.
What's better? Selling lime crap everywhere but Japan, or selling like crap, but not nearly as bad, everywhere?

So what if there's nothing new for the Wii U now? The Vita never had ANYTHING for it's entire lifespan

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What's better? Selling lime crap everywhere but Japan, or selling like crap, but not nearly as bad, everywhere?

So what if there's nothing new for the Wii U now? The Vita never had ANYTHING for it's entire lifespan
In this case, the Vita is better off because the sales in Japan are enough to shoot it's TOTAL sales noticeably above the Wii U. Objectively, it's the more successful system, even if it's only successful in one region. Wii U is a flop everywhere in the world.

And the Vita had plenty of cool games, chances are you didn't even follow it's releases.

In fact, it has more exclusives than the Wii U (and this is counting UPCOMING games for Wii U too):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_Vita-only_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wii_U-only_games

So bigger exclusive library? Vita wins that too.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I heard that the Tokyo Mirage Sessions concert was a huge hit with fans of the game and every extra goodie they had sold out (starting with the shirts and hoodies). This large image should give you all a hint of the Sun Plaza's size and how packed both shows in Japan were.

Not bad for an incredibly niche Wii U IP with W101 level sales.
Personally, I would like to think of it as Avex's final swam song for the fans that actually supported the game since its initial launch. Just have some funny talk show moments and sing the best songs of the entire soundtrack. And when you start with the best song from the game's finale (you know which one), then you are off for a great show.

I can imagine half of those bloody scalpers wanting to make money off the merchandise for inflated prices. But I'm looking forward to whatever new project they plan to do after the contest winner get to join as an official singer for it (I'm honestly not expecting to be a sequel, but a completely new project or spinoff). At least the games is are slowly selling better thanks to the hype from the concert and discounted prices for both physical and digital copies.

I am soooooooo jealous! ;_;

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
In this case, the Vita is better off because the sales in Japan are enough to shoot it's TOTAL sales noticeably above the Wii U. Objectively, it's the more successful system, even if it's only successful in one region. Wii U is a flop everywhere in the world.

And the Vita had plenty of cool games, chances are you didn't even follow it's releases.

In fact, it has more exclusives than the Wii U (and this counting UPCOMING games for Wii U too):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_Vita-only_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wii_U-only_games

So bigger exclusive library? Vita wins that too.
Can you show me accurate sales numbers from both sides then?

Also, the argument wasn't 'more games' but 'more games people give a **** about' which is in no way in favour of the Vita

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People wonder why fat people just don't go on diets.

I was never fat, but I'm going on a diet anyway and I can tell you. It's not fun.

Diet's can make you super depressed, cranky, and hungry all the time.

Food is a comfort and when you are denying yourself that comfort you can feel all the stress rush upon you.

And in the end, what do you get out of it? You start thinking "What's the point? What do I get out of this? Living healthier?

What's the point of living healthier if you are less happy doing so?"

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Keep in mind the Vita has been out for almost a full year longer than the Wii U and it barely out sells the Wii U...

either way we're talking about a poorly selling handheld console against a poorly selling home console...there shouldn't be any comparisons between the two to begin with, since people will likely buy them for different reasons anyway...

PS4>Wii U
3DS>PSVita

that's all that really matters here...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Personally, I would like to think of it as Avex's final swam song for the fans that actually supported the game since its initial launch. Just have some funny talk show moments and sing the best songs of the entire soundtrack. And when you start with the best song from the game's finale (you know which one), then you are off for a great show.

I can imagine half of those bloody scalpers wanting to make money off the merchandise for inflated prices. But I'm looking forward to whatever new project they plan to do after the contest winner get to join as an official singer for it (I'm honestly not expecting to be a sequel, but a completely new project or spinoff). At least the games is are slowly selling better thanks to the hype from the concert and discounted prices for both physical and digital copies.

I am soooooooo jealous! ;_;

Funny that you say that, because they trolled the fans really hard by teasing the possibility of sequel. And it was said by Barry Goodman's voice actor of all people. "I heard that the game is good, but not many copies are sold. So we are here to announce that you should be excited for..... telling your friends about this game. Are you going to do it?". Everyone got excited at first only to laugh at his joke later. If only concert trolling was this fun over here.

I'm curious as to if the voice acting audition would really lead to another RPG game that will be on a console as opposed to something cheaper like a handheld. But you may never know if they'll do something completely new or revisit the TMS concept in the future.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Also, the argument wasn't 'more games' but 'more games people give a **** about' which is in no way in favour of the Vita
This is, again, completely subjective.

Smash and Mario Kart 8 might be the best thing in the world to some of you, but to some, they are nothing special or are just disappointing (I honestly think they are disappointing myself).

Meanwhile, any Vita game I've played surpassed my expectations.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This is, again, completely subjective.

Smash and Mario Kart 8 might be the best thing in the world to some of you, but to some, they are nothing special or are just disappointing (I honestly think they are disappointing myself).

Meanwhile, any Vita game I've played surpassed my expectations.
I don't like MK8 either, but when I considered getting a Vita, I thought only 3 games of interest wasn't worth it

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If people expect you to get the PS4 or XBOX ONE over the Wii U, then they're pretty much in denial if none of the PS4 and XBOX ONE games catch your interest at all. Better sales don't exactly do a company much justice if it's not making anything that attracts the attention of its customers.

Anyway, even if the Wii U hasn't done very well, it never failed to give me games that I wanted to play. I can not say the same thing for the PS4 and XBOX ONE at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If people expect you to get the PS4 or XBOX ONE over the Wii U, then they're pretty much in denial if none of the PS4 and XBOX ONE games catch your interest at all. Better sales don't exactly do a company much justice if it's not making anything that attracts the attention of its customers.

Anyway, even if the Wii U hasn't done very well, it never failed to give me games that I wanted to play. I can not say the same thing for the PS4 and XBOX ONE at all.
As someone who doesn't like the lack of exclusives those systems have, I must say, it's dumb saying 'good sales don't do it justice'. Companies only care about money, so from a company's standpoint, it's doingit's job fine

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
As someone who doesn't like the lack of exclusives those systems have, I must say, it's dumb saying 'good sales don't do it justice'. Companies only care about money, so from a company's standpoint, it's doingit's job fine
Now that you mention it, I probably should've rephrased what I was saying. Maybe I should've said that systems that are good sellers don't always have the best game libraries out there.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sonic has been confirmed for E3. Really curious if it'll be Generations or 06 in terms of quality
Aaron Webber deconfrimed Sonic's presence at E3 for now, not to say it couldn't happen, but as of now, there's nothing.

However, in other Sonic news, the Sonic Boom TV series has the potential to be nominated for a Teen Choice Award.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Funny that you say that, because they trolled the fans really hard by teasing the possibility of sequel. And it was said by Barry Goodman's voice actor of all people. "I heard that the game is good, but not many copies are sold. So we are here to announce that you should be excited for..... telling your friends about this game. Are you going to do it?". Everyone got excited at first only to laugh at his joke later. If only concert trolling was this fun over here.

I'm curious as to if the voice acting audition would really lead to another RPG game that will be on a console as opposed to something cheaper like a handheld. But you may never know if they'll do something completely new or revisit the TMS concept in the future.
Really? What a ****ing troll! You'd think they would try to get their fans' hopes high only to dash them with the good old "word of mouth" message to get more sales. That fat Jack Black-esque otaku was always one of the more interesting characters from the game. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping my eyes peels on that contest. I could lead to another niche, but big budget project like Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I would certainly congratulate the lucky bloke or sheila that will be chosen as a new VA for the Avex company. Glad they are going to recruit new talent for the future.

Sonic has been confirmed for E3. Really curious if it'll be Generations or 06 in terms of quality
Oh dear, this is going to be "fun".

But I would be happy if they are serious about making a game that fix the flaws Lost World had for this new game.

EDIT: Damn, it was a fake. :urg:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Aaron Webber deconfrimed Sonic's presence at E3 for now, not to say it couldn't happen, but as of now, there's nothing.

However, in other Sonic news, the Sonic Boom TV series has the potential to be nominated for a Teen Choice Award.
But... https://mynintendonews.com/2016/05/...-and-he-would-be-prefect-fit-for-theme-parks/

So what? Spongebob always wins

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
This source is actually something from a couple weeks ago, not sure why some websites are posting it now. I'm trusting what Aaron Webber says for now, we could still see Sonic at E3, but they seem to be putting all their focus on the 25th Anniversary Party.

That's the Kid Choice Awards, this is the Teen Choice Awards, which from what I'm aware, is not run by Nickelodeon.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Aaron Webber was only deconfirming a "big Sonic party" at E3, not a presence of Sonic at E3. Mainly because some people thought the 25th Anniversary party was gonna be at E3.

At the very least they will probably have Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice demos at E3.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a customer yesterday that was sending money to her boyfriend in Nigeria

Actually, she was actually sending it to the Boyfriend's female roomate in Nigeria

Now, I dunno about anyone else, but if I was a woman and my boyfriend was living with a woman in Nigeria and was demanding money from me, I'd be all "**** you"

But whatever.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The sole fact we know nothing for Sonic's 25th anniversary pisses me off

Like seriously, can we finally know what's up

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The sole fact we know nothing for Sonic's 25th anniversary pisses me off

Like seriously, can we finally know what's up
We know plenty in terms of non-game stuff but yeah we know nothing about the game.

Though they have been working on it since before Lost World released so it should be great.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The new FNAF World update has A star fox parody where you play as Foxy

Star Foxy, if you will.

It even has voice acting, and "Do a Barrel Roll" ...because why wouldn't it

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The new FNAF World update has A star fox parody where you play as Foxy

Star Foxy, if you will.

It even has voice acting, and "Do a Barrel Roll" ...because why wouldn't it
Now this I need to see. I love Foxy the most of the FNAF animatronics.

Being based on one of my favorite canines along with the pirate motif is what makes him a unique character amongst the cast.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys! What's this talk about a Star Fox reference in F.....

Is it wrong that I want to get into FNAF because of this?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
We know plenty in terms of non-game stuff but yeah we know nothing about the game.

Though they have been working on it since before Lost World released so it should be great.
So that means they worked on this since the release of Generations

Oh boy....

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517

You know, it surprises me.

How the living hell can you finish a game and upload the entire thing to youtube in less than a day?!

(Also, there's nothing wrong with FNAF upon itself, just most of the fanbase is cancerous. You're free to like it if you wanna.)

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

It's wrong that it took one Star Fox reference just for you to try FNAF out in the first place. :mad088:

Just kidding love, I'm glad you are finally going to give the games a chance while ignoring the bad side of the fandom. Just download the original games on your IPhone if you want to take it for a spin.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The second mini game is a "Metroid reference" but it's less obvious

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So that means they worked on this since the release of Generations

Oh boy....
There was a rumour from an apparently reliable source stating that the Sonic game currently in development was actually planned for release on Xbox 360 at the same time as when Lost World released, but it was held back because they felt it was too ambitious for the hardware, and they wanted to move it to other hardware and put more stuff into it.

So the 25th Anniversary game may very well have a 5 year development cycle.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
xD Oh my God, Peppy's soul took over the bear!
Peppy Fazbear reporting for duty to tell you that barrel rolls are important in this mission. Make your father Mangle proud and fight the forces of Soul Dozer's army.

Can't wait for the spawn of new fanart for this mode.

Last edited:

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
So from what I've seen, this second update has a rip of I wanna be the guy (or you know, your typical "kaizo" game), Sonic.EXE, Metroid (thought it was Mega Man at first), and Star Fox. Is there any other games I'm missing? Because that's all I've seen, so far.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Got my hard drive replaced so I had to reinstall stuff.

When I was downloading Steam/Discord I got redirected to a fake Flash download. It got blocked by Chrome, thankfully.

I don't know how it happened. Help me. Someone.

EDIT: it was on my Smashboards tab. Don't know how exactly it opened there. ._. Still not sure what it means.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom