• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
do you guys know what cartoon is good

back at the barnyard

:secretkpop:
My favorite show is Pickle and Peanut because it's the best show on Disney XD.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, to this day I'll never understand reboots.
It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy: People beg for a new version of a completed show because nostalgia and what-not, the reboot happens, and then people complain about it not being like the original.

Granted PPG2016 is a load of bull and has a good reason to be hated on, but I mean in general.
It always feels like people want the same things from their childhood, but then will push the new, begged thing away in favor of said childhood.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
After too much messing about, and acquiring the Moon Pearl which I completely forgot to obtain while in the Tower of Hera, probably because it was short AF and I forgot you get teleported out once you beat the boss...The Time has come for one of Zelda's best overworld themes!
and a stupid blue monkey that scared the crap out of me because I was low on health and the ******* was tailing right behind me...

Anyway, now to conquer the Palace of Darkness...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
*Hops onto Twitch*

Oh, cool. ZeRo is streaming

*Sees Cloud vs Bayonetta*

****ing gross, I'm out

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You know, to this day I'll never understand reboots.
It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy: People beg for a new version of a completed show because nostalgia and what-not, the reboot happens, and then people complain about it not being like the original.

Granted PPG2016 is a load of bull and has a good reason to be hated on, but I mean in general.
It always feels like people want the same things from their childhood, but then will push the new, begged thing away in favor of said childhood.
Most people with an actual sense of writing practice would be against reboots.

As a Star Fox fan, I was actually upset that Zero is essentially a reboot (they've tried to sugar coat it and say it isn't, but I know what I'm seeing). I understand why they went down that road. But I am a firm believer that the majority of the time, reboots are a bad thing. I believe it's better to just work with what one has and build from it, even if only loosely, rather than throw it away entirely. I would have been fine with retconning Command exclusively due to that whole story being botched conceptually. But Assault was a perfect point for them to continue from, story and gameplay wise.

I'm well over it now, and the anime gave me hope this could work out as a good decision, but I don't think Star Fox NEEDED a reboot, at all. What we had with Assault was perfect as foundation as it was.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I meant to take a 30 minute nap and I woke up around 3/ 4 hours later

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The funny thing is, this isn't the only show to have animation errors; this has happened to shows that have aired even before I was born.
People just like to **** on things they don't like, so even if something they do like suffers from the same issues, they'll only point it out in the thing they don't like to make it worse.

I dislike the PPG Reboot as much as the next person, but like, come on, we get it. We don't need another Sonic 06 where people are still making videos about how bad it is because it garners easy views and laughs.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
People just like to **** on things they don't like, so even if something they do like suffers from the same issues, they'll only point it out in the thing they don't like to make it worse.

I dislike the PPG Reboot as much as the next person, but like, come on, we get it. We don't need another Sonic 06 where people are still making videos about how bad it is because it garners easy views and laughs.
I pretty much dislike a lot of the stuff that Nick and CN tend to air. And what can make me more upset is whenever a station takes down a program that I actually "do" watch.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For some reason whenever a station gets a good show, it either doesn't get the views or they put it in a horrible time slot when it would get the views in a good time slot.

I guess the people really do want the same old crap over and over again, since it's what brings in the people

Edit:
Perhaps it's television with it's strict "Time Slots" that's the outdated concept

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Going back to the poll I dug up a couple days ago to see what would qualify as "acceptable" according to what was more outright loved than outright hated. Just to be clear, that poll wasn't a "most wanted" so much as a "least hated," so it doesn't reflect what people asked for so much as what was socially accepted at the time and what would get the least vitorol.

Wolf
Inkling
Ice Climbers
Isaac
Snake
King K. Rool
Bomberman
Banjo & Kazooie
Chibi Robo
Dixie Kong
Shovel Knight
Impa
Shantae
Wonder Red
Rayman
Professor Layton
Bandana Dee
Krystal
Phoenix Wright
New Mii Class

However, this doesn't quite paint a full picture of what the "proper" newcomers are. Three aren't newcomers, half of them are third party characters (which people are already complaining are oversaturated), and Mii types are in a borderline where they count as a character slot but aren't quite their own characters per se. Clearing out these leaves the following:

Inkling
Isaac
King K. Rool
Chibi Robo
Dixie Kong
Impa
Wonder Red
Bandana Dee
Krystal

These are the only full-on newcomer characters that data indicates you were allowed to like according to pre-Cloud echo chamber standards. And Krystal was hated more than the poll indicates, so she's not acceptable.

Inkling
Isaac
King K. Rool
Chibi Robo
Dixie Kong
Impa
Wonder Red
Bandana Dee

. . .Is it any wonder that the fandom reacted with rage with nearly every character revealed? The pool of characters that wouldn't result in the angry portion of the vocal minority overpowering the overjoyed portion is smaller than a normal newcomer spread and barely larger than the amount of DLC we got. And after Nintendo basically buried Chibi Robo alive and spat on his grave, that just makes the chances of having a selection of characters people actually like even smaller. . .

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I guess that with Gardevoir, it just looks very feminine, so I often found it awkward for it to be either gender. Gallade's debut in the 4th generation at least resolved the issue to an extent, as it's a male only species.

In a similar manner, Froslass was presumably made to be Glalie's female counterpart, but even then, Glalie's gender can either be male or female.
I think that makes some sense. Game Freak making Gallade a male only evo and then giving Gardevoir a mega with a ballgown does tend to support the view that Gardevoir is meant to be female. But I don't think there's anything wrong with raising a male Gardevoir either.

Glalie/Froslass is a weird case too, especially given Glalie's pretty gender neutral appearance. I'm not a huge fan of gender exclusive evos in general, honestly. I feel like they generally just make it a bit more of hassle to get the Pokemon you want. I do think Gallade is pretty cool though.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think that makes some sense. Game Freak making Gallade a male only evo and then giving Gardevoir a mega with a ballgown does tend to support the view that Gardevoir is meant to be female. But I don't think there's anything wrong with raising a male Gardevoir either.

Glalie/Froslass is a weird case too, especially given Glalie's pretty gender neutral appearance. I'm not a huge fan of gender exclusive evos in general, honestly. I feel like they generally just make it a bit more of hassle to get the Pokemon you want. I do think Gallade is pretty cool though.
The only gender neutral evolution I have a problem with is Combee to Vespiquen...since Male combees don't evolve and female combees are rare AF....

Gallade and Froslass are fine since the other gender still had an evolution if you wanted it...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only gender neutral evolution I have a problem with is Combee to Vespiquen...since Male combees don't evolve and female combees are rare AF....

Gallade and Froslass are fine since the other gender still had an evolution if you wanted it...
Seriously though. It's kind of inspirational.

If you're ever in a position where you feel worthless and can do nothing useful, always remember that it could be worse.
You could be a male Combee.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Seriously though. It's kind of inspirational.

If you're ever in a position where you feel worthless and can do nothing useful, always remember that it could be worse.
You could be a male Combee.
or even worse...a luvdisc...

You don't evolve no matter what gender...and all people use you for is farming your scales...

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Most recent game I played: Bananaframe.
Most recent game I bought: Bananalands: The Handsome Collection.

As for shooter characters in Smash, I think my tiering would probably be Inkling, Master Chief and Heavy.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
At least Luvdisc and Wormadam have feasible movesets.
Look at Unown: Only has one move that just about every other Pokemon can and will use better.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Look at Unown: Only has one move that just about every other Pokemon can and will use better.
I wish Unown got moves like Secret Power. Namely all kinds of unique moves that depend on the environment or other special factors like Hidden Power does. It'd be a great buff to them, while still making their own niche of collecting every version fun.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I stupidly tried to use unonwn for a while in gen 2 and wondered why he wasn't learning any moves. Eventually just abandoning him. I don't remember which unown I picked, but I picked a specific one I liked and it just lead to disappointment

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly all the unown need is some sort of ability that gives it's Hidden Power a huge buff or something...

:201a::201m::201i::201r::201i::201t::201e:?
(why do we not have the '?' and '!' unowns?)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Mega Unown.
When.

Jesus, is that you?

Don't forget Unown no longer can use it's decent Attack stat anymore
I don't know what are you trying to say here.
Unown has the same Attack and Special Attack stats.
Also, Struggle exists :troll:

Honestly all the unown need is some sort of ability that gives it's Hidden Power a huge buff or something...

:201a::201m::201i::201r::201i::201t::201e:?
(why do we not have the '?' and '!' unowns?)
Those appeared in Gen 3, and those icons are from Gen 2.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I remember back in the day trying to actually catch every single kind of unknown form simply of hoping to get some cool reward.... Man was I disipointed. :p

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mega Unown.
When.

I don't know what are you trying to say here.
Unown has the same Attack and Special Attack stats.
Also, Struggle exists :troll:

Those appeared in Gen 3, and those icons are from Gen 2.
Hidden Power could be a physical move back in the day, but Gen IV changed it
Also, I found an amiibo I want

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Think I might take a hiatus from this thread for a bit. Maybe not a long one but IDK.

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Only Hidden Power :urg:

I remember playing a Romhack where it learned any move that had the words "Something" Power in it.

I didn't use it because it didn't really have the stats to back it up,but it was interesting to see.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I got Kamiya and Hashimoto to sign my copy of Bayonetta 2. I didn't bring Bayonetta 1, and I figured since Kamiya worked on the first one and I was there I would get him to sign it. He didn't seem to care.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I got Kamiya and Hashimoto to sign my copy of Bayonetta 2. I didn't bring Bayonetta 1, and I figured since Kamiya worked on the first one and I was there I would get him to sign it. He didn't seem to care.
Pics?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, I breed a Perfect trevenant, now I just need to breed a shiny one

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Man, the Nintendo eShop says that SEGA 3D Classics Collection is available now but it won't let me buy it until noon.

Why must it tease me? ;_;

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
The funny thing is, this isn't the only show to have animation errors; this has happened to shows that have aired even before I was born.
Animation errors happen, even the original PPG had them, I acknowledge that.
But this is the first show I've seen in a while to have it happen consistently. The original show had less, and that was done with animation cells, not digitally.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know what I just realized, as living organisms in the kingdom Animalia, we are oppressing other living organisms in other kingdoms. Y'know, since we're the top dogs of the food chain.

You can see this manifested the greatest in so called "Vegans"

Vegas are extremely oppressive to living organisms in the kingdom "Plantae" as they believe in eating them, and only them. Organisms in "Animalia" are held in a higher regard and considered "too precious" to eat.

It's all part of the patriarchy, and I find it sick.

I think we should put pressure on these sick Vegans and their oppressive ways

End Animalia Privilege

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom