• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Honestly.
After my first runs of all 3 storylines for Fates.
And... I'm about 50/50 on what I feel are "the" pairings, so to speak.

Ryoma x Rinka
Takumi x Oboro
Xander x Charlotte
Leo x Sakura
Camilla x Laslow
Niles x Effie
Serena x Subaki
Hayato x Nyx
Mozu x Keaton
Odin x Elise
Peri x Benny
Kaze x Azura

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We're talking Fire Emblem ships?

Camilla x Corrin (Nohr)
Silas x Effie (Nohr)
Xander x Charlotte (Nohr)
Corrin x Niles (Nohr)
Silas x Nyx (Nohr)
Charlotte x Kaze (Nohr)
Odin x Camilla (Nohr)
Azura x Corrin (Revelations)
Kanna x Percy (Revelations)
Midori x Kiragi (Revelations)
Rinkah x Hayato (Revelations)
Felicia x Kaze (Revelations)
Sakura x Kaden (Revelations)
Camilla x Takumi (Revelations)
Leo x Hinoka (Revelations)
Jacob x Nyx (Revelations)
Ryoma x Orochi (Revelations)
Oboro x Hinata (Revelations)
Kagero x Saizo (Revelations)
Asugi x Rhajat (Revelations)
Silas x Elise (Revelations)
Hana x Subaki (Revelations)
Caeldori x Shigure (Revelations)
Selena x Keaton (Revelations)
Selkie x Pickle Boy (Revelations)
Beruka x Xander (Revelations)
Effie x Arthur (Revelations and Nohr)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't put a ton of thought behind my FE pairings. I couldn't tell you what 90% were anymore anyway. Sometimes if I had the option I tried to base it on who I felt complimented each other, but most of the time it was just a means to an end so I could get more units. I didn't look back and go "oh shoot I should've paired x with y instead!" or anything like that.

I don't get the thrill behind playing matchmaker to a bunch of fictional characters I'll stop caring about when the game's over. :/

I don't really understand the point of shipping in the first place though. Is it some vicarious thing? Is it some control thing? I don't get it...

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel like I'm the only one who didn't put a ton of thought behind my FE pairings. I couldn't tell you what 90% were anymore anyway. Sometimes if I had the option I tried to base it on who I felt complimented each other, but most of the time it was just a means to an end so I could get more units. I didn't look back and go "oh shoot I should've paired x with y instead!" or anything like that.

I don't get the thrill behind playing matchmaker to a bunch of fictional characters I'll stop caring about when the game's over. :/

I don't really understand the point of shipping in the first place though. Is it some vicarious thing? Is it some control thing? I don't get it...
This is going to sound weird.

But personally, and it's almost exclusively in the context of Fire Emblem at that.

The shipping is... another part of the story. A deeper level to the people who strung the tale. And part of it is figuring out who best fits with eachother and makes the most sense to be the parent of the various kids. Trying to personally piece together unspecified pieces of the puzzle that is the full story.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
My brother.

Second coming of the underdog ship.
I'll admit, I felt that these two go very well if you think about it. Asugi wants to become an affective theif while Rhajat is great at stalking. Plus, the latter as a sour personality that a sweet guy can cure with his candy. Put two and two together, bam! Perfect couple there.

Azzy, are you sure that you aren't becoming a fundanshi? :troll:
Quiet you! I only did it because I wanted to see how well written it was from the original Japanese dialogue. It's not like I love yaoi ships or anything... baka! :smash:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603

But personally, and it's almost exclusively in the context of Fire Emblem at that.

The shipping is... another part of the story. A deeper level to the people who strung the tale. And part of it is figuring out who best fits with eachother and makes the most sense to be the parent of the various kids. Trying to personally piece together unspecified pieces of the puzzle that is the full story.
Or a means to breed to most OP of babies

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Quiet you! I only did it because I wanted to see how well written it was from the original Japanese dialogue. It's not like I love yaoi ships or anything... baka! :smash:
Sure you did love, sure you did...

Also, Niles x Corrin is the best ship next to Xander x Oboro and Azura x Silas.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'll admit, I felt that these two go very well if you think about it. Asugi wants to become an affective theif while Rhajat is great at stalking. Plus, the latter as a sour personality that a sweet guy can cure with his candy. Put two and two together, bam! Perfect couple there.
I've been saying this basically since Awakening.
Also that Noire looks "right" with orange hair and Gaius is one of few people who seem crafty enough to try to weasel his daugther out of his bride's plans.

(Plus you get Lethality Archer who just screams out "TO THE ABYSS WITH YOU!")

Edit:
Sure you did love, sure you did...

Also, Niles x Corrin is the best ship next to Xander x Oboro and Azura x Silas.
This.. this just sounds wrong.
Oboro being "ideal japanese bride" design, so damn anti-Nohr that it's her unique skill, and her infatuation with Taco Meat.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I was browsing the TV Tropes page for Gamer Chick and discovered this existed at one point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_Loopy

Gotta give it one thing, it had a unique enough gimmick, it's just that said gimmick makes it seem more like a "do it yourself" toy or something you'd buy on an arts and crafts infomercial than a gaming system. "Screenshot-to-sticker" actually does sound kind of entertaining, but it seems like a very unusual thing to anchor a gaming system around.

That logo and some of those game titles though. . .oooh golly that gender stereotyping. :laugh:

"Loopy" is a fitting enough name for this, alright, just not likely in the way it's creators intended. :upsidedown:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
This.. this just sounds wrong.
Oboro being "ideal japanese bride" design, so damn anti-Nohr that it's her unique skill, and her infatuation with Taco Meat.
Agreed. It's like paring Frollo with Esmerelda. A pairing fueled out of lust and racism gone wrong. :urg:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well I guess that's it. I don't really care about the story, I care about the gameplay. Even less so when so little of it is canon. I care about getting the units and unlocking characters. And considering at the end of the day you'll still have all the same characters, just with different hair colours, I don't really bother getting invested in the pairings.

Now if the different pairings actually resulted in getting totally unique children exclusive to that pairing, then I think I'd care more. But obv that isn't going to happen. And for me it'd still be more about the resulting characters than the pairings behind them.

The way people treat the pairings though, it's clearly still on the spectrum of shipping. And shipping I continue to not understand.

D

Deleted member

The point of shipping varies from person to person.... Just like pretty much anything, actually. Like literally nothing has a point unless you give meaning to it. :p

But anyway, I guess you can say it's because people are just interested into relationships in general. Not even the romantic kind, just how people interact. And romantic relationships, are well, very emotional. Thus it gets certain people rather interested, invested.

Of course, what is interesting always varies from person to person. The person is someone like me who finds every single little detail ever interesting.

Oh, and also, people always fight over their interests, and which is superior. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I personally don't think it's that weird. With Fire Emblem, one of the main draws is trying to get you to care about the characters. They're not supposed to just be pixels to the player, they're supposed to be a collective group of different people forming your army that you grow to care about and value enough to keep them alive to the end. That aspect is something that has been with the series since the beginning, and it's one of the reasons why the death mechanic is such an important part of the series (the other because it adds to the challenge). So having those characters advance relationships to the point where they either stay together as friends, lovers or a family is something that adds to their story, and through them, adds to the world you're playing through and gets you to care about them even more. It helps make everything feel more alive when each minor story can have a conclusion for itself even when the big plot is done, and in turn, makes you value them more as a unit and try to keep them alive.

That's not to say that it's for everyone, some are just here for the strategy and that's fine as Fire Emblem is great at that, but that doesn't mean that the characters can't be a draw either. Fire Emblem does try to aim for pleasing both crowds, and that's part of what gives it its charm and makes it a memorable series.

JakobXBench is canon
Nah, the bench cheats on him with Peri.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Oh, and also, people always fight over their interests, and which is superior. :p
You are right about that. But defending an interest sometimes its pretty hard, but, it is worth it if you justify it right.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The point of shipping varies from person to person.... Just like pretty much anything, actually. Like literally nothing has a point unless you give meaning to it. :p
Thanks for that one Confucius. :p

But anyway, I guess you can say it's because people are just interested into relationships in general. Not even the romantic kind, just how people interact. And romantic relationships, are well, very emotional. Thus it gets certain people rather interested, invested.

Of course, what is interesting always varies from person to person. The person is someone like me who finds every single little detail ever interesting.
I'm not uninterested in fictional relationships, but taking the character out of canon to satisfy some personal matchmaking desire just seems disingenuous. It seems like nothing more than fan-fiction. When anyone can pair anybody with anybody else, I feel it loses that emotional depth.

I suppose it's different for FE where it asks you to pair them, but on the other hands it's like "hey here's 30 characters, care about them". Maybe if I followed them through game after game and it finally asked me to match them, but dozens of new characters each time? I don't feel connected to them in any special way. Maybe I have a favourite or two, but that still leaves a bunch of other characters I really don't feel strongly about one way or the other. And characters that can pair with pretty much any other character of the opposite sex, whose "relationships" are pretty much limited to flirt -> confession -> baby also loses some of the authenticity to me.

I am interested in fictional relationships that resonate, shipping just seems shallow to me. When anyone can work all the same with anybody, then it doesn't really matter who you end up with. And that goes against what makes relationships special in the first place.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks for that one Confucius. :p

I'm not uninterested in fictional relationships, but taking the character out of canon to satisfy some personal matchmaking desire just seems disingenuous. It seems like nothing more than fan-fiction. When anyone can pair anybody with anybody else, I feel it loses that emotional depth.

I suppose it's different for FE where it asks you to pair them, but on the other hands it's like "hey here's 30 characters, care about them". Maybe if I followed them through game after game and it finally asked me to match them, but dozens of new characters each time? I don't feel connected to them in any special way. Maybe I have a favourite or two, but that still leaves a bunch of other characters I really don't feel strongly about one way or the other. And characters that can pair with pretty much any other character of the opposite sex, whose "relationships" are pretty much limited to flirt -> confession -> baby also loses some of the authenticity to me.

I am interested in fictional relationships that resonate, shipping just seems shallow to me. When anyone can work all the same with anybody, then it doesn't really matter who you end up with. And that goes against what makes relationships special in the first place.
Well, actually, what you said is exactly the reason why people argue over them. They all work, sure, but some work a LOT better than others. >_> And to many, it's about how it goes down rather than who it is with who.... Or actually, now that I think about it sometimes people just ship people for little reasons, like I don't know, maybe having the same hair color? :p

But the point is, it's less that everyone goes with everyone, it's rather pair these two up and see how it goes. And some definitely go WAY better than others.... As I previously said.

The previous FE games did have only character supports that were limited between two characters. However, that changed in awakening is fate. Pairing people up is one way of changing fate, which is why supports are like that in the game in the first place. Which brings me to something you said earlier that I thought was interesting: Child units depending on which parents you paired up. I think that would've been a great thing to have for something like this.

Though certain pairs do give the children better abilities, but that's not nearly as drastic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, actually, what you said is exactly the reason why people argue over them. They all work, sure, but some work a LOT better than others. >_> And to many, it's about how it goes down rather than who it is with who.... Or actually, now that I think about it sometimes people just ship people for little reasons, like I don't know, maybe having the same hair color? :p

But the point is, it's less that everyone goes with everyone, it's rather pair these two up and see how it goes. And some definitely go WAY better than others.... As I previously said.

The previous FE games did have only character supports that were limited between two characters. However, that changed in awakening is fate. Pairing people up is one way of changing fate, which is why supports are like that in the game in the first place. Which brings me to something you said earlier that I thought was interesting: Child units depending on which parents you paired up. I think that would've been a great thing to have for something like this.

Though certain pairs do give the children better abilities, but that's not nearly as drastic.
They don't "All work"

You can't just throw two random people together and say "You are now a couple. Make with the love"

D

Deleted member

They don't "All work"

You can't just throw two random people together and say "You are now a couple. Make with the love"
We're both talking about Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates right? Because yeah, unless you're avatarsexual, you can be paired up with anyone of the opposite gender. Mechanically, of course. The supports of course, show how they came to be as a pair.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Lon'Qu and Panne was the best from what I remember

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pairing in FE is like meeting someone and them asking you who you think they should start dating out of a pool of people you also just met.

Like, you might have suggestions, but you're not too invested either way.

That's my take.

And that doesn't even touch on the fact that technically there are no bad suggestions. The two are going to wind up getting married, having kids, and being happy no matter what. Which is even less reason to get invested.

The only shipping I get invested in is when they won't deliver me products cuz I'm north of the border. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I kind of view it like pokemon where I'm selecting two species to give me the best attributes and egg moves

Doesn't matter if Wailord and skitty make a bad couple

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
BTW I am NEVER having anything shipped from the UK again.

Took months. I ended up getting a refund because of how long it took

It eventually arrived a month after that.

$50 item free. 10/10. Would get more free items if not for the wait

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Man, it looks like I've been missing out on a Fire Emblem shipping debate. Oh well.

Speaking of shipping, I just watched the latest two episodes of the Pokemon XY&Z anime, and they were both HILARIOUS. I had a lot of good laughs with Bonnie's reactions in the first one, and then the Amourshipping moments in the following one.

I know pictures of this scene have been posted before, but in case no one posted the video yet, y'all should check out the best scene in the entire episode in its true glory.

For those wondering how Ash got sick in the first place, he was standing in the river while training with his Greninja and Pikachu the night before.

Next episode is going to be the Ash vs Alain rematch, and it's confirmed that Alain now has a Metang on his team. I'm glad that Alain won't be another Tobias should he knock out Ash in the Pokemon League. Something tells me that Alain got that Metang from Steven though, who I also want to see meet Ash again before X&Y ends.

And to finish things off, here's a picture of the best Serena smile we've gotten thus far.

Twas a fun night indeed.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I went back to my black and white 2 game

All my pokemon are gone.

I forgot I transferred them to X and Y

I guess I should just reset the game

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
ya know regardless on your opinions on waifus and shipping this has been a far more plesant discuaiion than anything regarding the NX in recent times....food for thought

D

Deleted member

"Freaks like this should just be shot on sight. Then we wouldn't be having these issues. Seriously, what good are they to society?"

Why the hell do I even read youtube comments at all?

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Yeah but no. She gets things right and she gets things wrong. Most recently she leaked Paper Mario.

How quickly we all forget.
Honestly a lot of people would like to forget about the new Paper Mario.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I'm going to get my hair cut something similar to this

or something like this

BUT I kind of want to get a dye job

I'm thinking light on top with dark on the sides

Which I can't actually FIND an example of a man doing

I wonder if it's just not a manly thing to do