• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just want a VC that will carry your games forward to future consoles without having to spend more monies. Or, if they're going to add new features, for only a nominal fee.

I'd buy a lot more VC games if that were the case.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Give me 6 minutes. With no 4G mobile network signals, I can't watch YouTube videos on the road.
*6 minutes later*

"Too much pressure, let it out!"

*cue 28 boys waiting in line for the bathroom with full bladders*

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Even if they go the emulator route, that still requires programming staff they could have work on actually new NX games.

It's not impossible but don't hold out for it, as it really isn't in Nintendo's best interests to be perfectly honest.
And what is your definition of "Nintendo's Best Interests?"

Because there's a whole lot of different ways that various people would define that, so I can't really understand specifically what your meaning for it is.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And what is your definition of "Nintendo's Best Interests?"

Because there's a whole lot of different ways that various people would define that, so I can't really understand specifically what your meaning for it is.
Things that will sell their console and games to the general public, and generally catching up with the times rather than living in the past, rather than keeping them as this niche, underdog console manufacturer they were for the Wii U, and Gamecube eras, compared to their competitors.

Nintendo needs to focus on getting caught up with the times with a more technologically impressive console, unified account system, much better online infrastructure, and games that will actually make use of all of the above. They could also stand to become less tone-deaf with the games they put out (i.e. when we say we want a new Paper Mario RPG, we mean a proper new RPG, and not a sequel to the "action-adventure" that is Sticker Star).

Not "oh hey we'll charge you to play our 10 year old games that you can already play for free, AND with enhancements, on your PC, Laptop, with VR, and even on an Android phone".

It's fine if they can do Gamecube games, but don't expect it, because it really is not (and should not) be a priority for them.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Things that will sell their console and games to the general public, and generally catching up with the times rather than living in the past, rather than keeping them as this niche, underdog console manufacturer they were for the Wii U, and Gamecube eras, compared to their competitors.

Nintendo needs to focus on getting caught up with the times with a more technologically impressive console, unified account system, much better online infrastructure, and games that will actually make use of all of the above. They could also stand to become less tone-deaf with the games they put out (i.e. when we say we want a new Paper Mario RPG, we mean a proper new RPG, and not a sequel to the "action-adventure" that is Sticker Star).

Not "oh hey we'll charge you to play our 10 year old games that you can already play for free, AND with enhancements, on your PC, Laptop, with VR, and even on an Android phone".

It's fine if they can do Gamecube games, but don't expect it, because it really is not (and should not) be a priority for them.
So basically the problem with Gamecube games is that they can't be bothered to deal with their piracy issues.

. . .You know, they're probably too lazy to go for it, but I can see a few new avenues for making money they could pursue with this in mind. :troll:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I don't see why it should be that hard for them to have a GC VC on the NX if the NX is supposively a lot powerful than the Wii U. Granted i'm not a tech expert like some people are but I don't see why it can't be done. I'd point to Wii games on the Wii U as a reason for why it would work but I guess it's not a good example given that the Wii U can emulate Wii disks and whatnot.

Besides, I really want to be able to play SM Sunshine again. Loved that game as much as I did SM64. Same with TTYD.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see why it should be that hard for them to have a GC VC on the NX if the NX is supposively a lot powerful than the Wii U.
It doesn't woooooork like thaaaaaat.... >.>

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd only care about GC VC if Path of Radiance was avaible
Otherwise, **** it, I don't think there are any other GC games that would be worth

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Double Post Warning
It doesn't woooooork like thaaaaaat.... >.>
Yeah I hinted that in my previous post and I know people have a hard time emulating GC games and whatnot on PC's but they outta find a way to make it work.

If there's one thing I don't want to see it's more GC remasters on a current gen console. I was okay with WW HD only because it served to bridge the gap between SS and Zelda Wii U (until the delay happened) but other than that enough with these damn remasters. VC or bust really.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Because no one has ever claimed to be a company in order to remove a video because of Youtube's horrible copyright system before. :rolleyes:

Give me some proof it's the actual company before you cry about it. I'm pretty sure it's an illegal video anyways considering it's very clearly emulated and rom hacked.

Soul.

People won't really care about GC VC unless they add GCN controller compatibility (because tbh the controller is only really good for Smash and for other games, it's just meh). I suppose they could make it so that there's no input delay on anything; apparently SNES on Wii U has input delay and there is no such thing on New 3DS.

They'll keep doing remasters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Because no one has ever claimed to be a company in order to remove a video because of Youtube's horrible copyright system before. :rolleyes:

Give me some proof it's the actual company before you cry about it. I'm pretty sure it's an illegal video anyways considering it's very clearly emulated and rom hacked.
It's actually a fan animation.

Even if it was a ROM hack though, it would still come under fair use.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's actually a fan animation.

Even if it was a ROM hack though, it would still come under fair use.
Doesn't say anything about Kira's point on it possibly not being Nintendo themselves. Anyone remember how both Blizzard and Ubisoft's own videos got taken down due to the videos containing stuff those companies actually own?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It never ceases to make me cringe how Nintendo can constantly ignore the people actually stealing their money while at the same time harassing the people who actually support them as fans and practically advertise for them.

Considering how often and how many people say this is happening, I don't see why we aren't making some kind of hashtag campaign telling them to cut it the heck out. Probably because of the defeatist attitude of Nintendo fans, I guess. You'd think with this many people complaining something could actually stick. . .

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Gamecube games are ten to fifteen years old by now. There are a lot of new gamers since then that Nintendo can profit off of with a GC VC. And a lot of older gamers' nostalgia to exploit. And they're not going to remaster every GC title, putting them up on the VC is a lot easier.

GCϟVC all the way. \m/

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Gamecube games are ten to fifteen years old by now. There are a lot of new gamers since then that Nintendo can profit off of with a GC VC. And a lot of older gamers' nostalgia to exploit. And they're not going to remaster every GC title, putting them up on the VC is a lot easier.

GCϟVC all the way. \m/
I almost bought a GC the other day because there are games I miss so much.

Stupid trade ins sounded like such a good idea when I was a kid.

What I would give to have Sunshine, TTYD, Melee, Viewtiful Joe etc. back.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It never ceases to make me cringe how Nintendo can constantly ignore the people actually stealing their money while at the same time harassing the people who actually support them as fans and practically advertise for them.

Considering how often and how many people say this is happening, I don't see why we aren't making some kind of hashtag campaign telling them to cut it the heck out. Probably because of the defeatist attitude of Nintendo fans, I guess. You'd think with this many people complaining something could actually stick. . .
This. Pirated games are A-Okay but harmless videos are a sin and must be dealt with immediately.

GCϟVC all the way. \m/
Preach ma sista! We shall not be denied our GC VC!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And they're not going to remaster every GC title, putting them up on the VC is a lot easier.

Actually, if they are going on x86 architecture, then doing remasters/remakes of GC games becomes easier than VC ports.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

I had a similar problem though it was my brother who kept on selling the games we had so he can make a quick buck. He'll quite literally sell anything he gets his hands on.

As for my Melee copy I lost mine in 2007 only to get another copy in 2010 and lose it in the same year and then I bought another copy of the game through Kijiji in 2014 which is the copy I currently have. Never gonna lose that disk again.

D

Deleted member

Ura Ura I meant for me, anyways
It's not like I'll be playing Paper Mario or Mario Party
Mario Kart Double Dash?
What's the point when I have a superior version?
Super Smash Bros Melee?
What's the point when I have a superior version? (2)

On another note, I'm gonna attempt Awakening Lunatic
Rip me
Don't wish me Luck because that's a terrible Boon

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ura Ura I meant for me, anyways
It's not like I'll be playing Paper Mario or Mario Party

What's the point when I have a superior version?

What's the point when I have a superior version? (2)

On another note, I'm gonna attempt Awakening Lunatic
Rip me
Don't wish me Luck because that's a terrible Boon
Good luck! btw, Virion actually becomes useful-ish, chip damage

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see the problem with remasters if they add some content and improvements, and they are easy to make (WWHD took six months).

They also will definitely be the easier option on NX if it uses x86.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd only care about GC VC if Path of Radiance was avaible
Path of Radiance should be in a Tellius collection sort of thing anyway seeing as PoR saves had influence on aspects of Radiant Dawn.
Also touch up on visuals and add casual mode for those who struggle with linear, perma death. Probably a few other neat little things too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
How many consoles have not had remasters? They're not going to remaster all of them (duh) but it's kinda silly to stop doing them.
It's just cringeworthy to have to pay full price or even near full price for a game that's over a decade old. I don't see why anyone would want that for the NX.

D

Deleted member

Good luck! btw, Virion actually becomes useful-ish, chip damage
Virion is an Archer... in Awakening
He was doomed the moment he took that bow
I'm not allowing reclasses or skirmishes so he'll be dead by Chapter 2
Gonna abuse the hell out of bonus box rewards though

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Unrelated but I noticed that for the past month that I had this avi no one even bothered to make a Youngster joke or even a Youngster Joey one.

You guys need to all start wearing shorts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's times like these I'm glad the ownership of my console game collection is also split between my three brothers (and my dad to an extent), things have and would get waaaaay too complicated should we start selling them off.

Actually, if they are going on x86 architecture, then doing remasters/remakes of GC games becomes easier than VC ports.
Not if you'e accounting for development, publishing or marketing costs. That's on a 1-for-1 paradigm where creating one remaster would be easier than developing an emulator for one sole VC title, which I agree with, but that's not how it would work.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's just cringeworthy to have to pay full price or even near full price for a game that's over a decade old. I don't see why anyone would want that for the NX.
tbh there are games out there which would be cheaper with a remaster than what you can find in stores. 80 euro copy of Path of Radiance anyone? That's the cheapest I could find and region locks are a *****

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The two options they have for getting a Gamecube VC on NX, if it uses x86, are:

A) Have the physical guts of the Gamecube/Wii (since they're mostly the same) inside the NX, probably meaning they'd have a PowerPC chip in there
B) Develop a software emulator that can run the GC games exactly like how the retail copies ran on the GC.

Both of these are incredibly costly, time-consuming, and difficult processes, meaning that yes, it is very unlikely Nintendo will want to waste time and money on it, especially if it ends up increasing the price of the console at retail.

A lot of gamers don't want to accept it, but, the reality is, the further we go in the console lineage, the less plausible it becomes for backwards compatibility to work, due to the increasing complexity of games.

It'd be a wonder if the NX even has Wii U backwards compatibility. It most likely isn't going to have it if they really are trying to port it's biggest hits.
Considering modern computers can run 60fps Gamecube games at full speed, emulation is a definite possibility, I'd say.

Considering that the NX is more powerful than the PS4, and add the fact that unlike Dolphin emulator, Nintendo is better equipped to make a flawless emulator optimised for the NX, it would hardly be a stretch to emulate Gamecube and even Wii games properly.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Path of Radiance should be in a Tellius collection sort of thing anyway seeing as PoR saves had influence on aspects of Radiant Dawn.
Also touch up on visuals and add casual mode for those who struggle with linear, perma death. Probably a few other neat little things too.
That and a Elibe remake
50+ chapters of a good game and a babysitting simulator feat. Roy from the Smash Bros. series
Unrelated but I noticed that for the past month that I had this avi no one even bothered to make a Youngster joke or even a Youngster Joey one.

You guys need to all start wearing shorts.
Because
1) That meme is dead
And 2)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Considering modern computers can run 60fps Gamecube games at full speed, emulation is a definite possibility, I'd say.

Considering that the NX is more powerful than the PS4, and add the fact that unlike Dolphin emulator, Nintendo is better equipped to make a flawless emulator optimised for the NX, it would hardly be a stretch to emulate Gamecube and even Wii games.

:231:
Modern computers are also much more powerful than any current console hardware.

Also, a remaster doesn't have to be published physically.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
doom 4 is pretty good

although i could live without the silly taunts

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just blatantly saw another player stand by me in the waiting room in Lost Reavers, and stare at my character's breasts.

lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom