• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Question time again.

1-What was your favorite Newcomer in Melee?

2-What was your favorite Newcomer in Brawl?

3-What is your favorite Newcomer in Smash 4?

4-Do you believe in any of the recent NX rumors?

5-Do you remember the Smash Direct of April 2014?

6-What's your favorite color?

7-What is your favorite Stage?

8-Do you hate me?

9-Is this the real life?
1: :4bowser:
2: :4dedede:
3: :4greninja:
4: Except for Zelda Wii U getting ported to the NX, no. Most others range from nearly unbelievable to plain stupid.
5: Yes and I don't want to remember it.
6: Red, a color I can paint the town with.
7: Vague question here. Are we referring to out of all the stages in the series or one specific game?
8: Do you hate me?
9: There is no real life.

:094:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Question time again.

8-Do you hate me?

9-Is this the real life?
1. :bowsermelee:

2. :sonic:

3. :4shulk:pre DLC and :4cloud:post DLC. Amazing how much my tastes have expanded since Melee...

4. Not a single damn one. If only because I'm so bloody tired of rumors at this point. I don't pay them any mind anymore.

5. I literally can't even forget it ever since my close friend made this video for that and the 50 fact direct.

But joking aside, it was so insanely exciting to watch.

6. Blue.

7. Competitively it's Battlefield, non-competitively it's Pirate Ship.

8. No, but you really need a shower.

9. Kingdom Hearts 3 still doesn't have a release date so I'm going to go with a "YEP, this is reality alright."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's true but I don't see how anything Nintendo does is going to make me want to buy the console at least for the first 1 or 2 years. Look at it this way...

- 3D Mario? I don't need to buy a console for that one game.

- Zelda NX? I can get the same game on the Wii U and I doubt the NX version is going to have that much unique features.

- Smash Bros NX port? Have a Wii U and i'm not even considering buying that game it if it's a straight up port or even if 2 characters added in. It needs a bunch of characters added in from the Ballot like I mentioned before for me to even consider buying the game. Given the way things are shaping up, Smash NX is going to be a cheap port with the IC's and Inklings added in.

- Super Mario Maker/Splatoon NX ports? The former I can get on the Wii U at any time and the later I have zero interest in.

- Final Fantasy 15? Can easily get the game on the PS4. Same goes with FF7R if it makes it's way to the NX.

- Dragon Quest (insert number here) & Pikmin 4? Don't need these 2 games because i'm not all that interested in buying them.

Really, what is their left for me to want to buy this console? The games that I really want to see on this console have no chance of making it in and the games that are going to be one the console I don't care about or can get elsewhere. I know it's rumors and stuff but even without them what is their left? Not going to care about new IP's because I want some per-existing IP's instead so that's going to rub me the wrong way as well. I honestly think i'm better off skipping like 3 years without buying an NX and sticking with a PS4. Anything Nintendo related I can get on my Wii U and my 3DS.
Are you GENUINELY basing this SOLELY on the multiple, most likely rumours about launch titles? You mentioned wanting a PS4.5 just 1 page ago, yet all we know of that is how it can make games prettier if the games were made with the 4.5 in mind. I'm sorry, but that's just dumb. At the very least wait till we get official info

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's true but I don't see how anything Nintendo does is going to make me want to buy the console at least for the first 1 or 2 years. Look at it this way...

- 3D Mario? I don't need to buy a console for that one game.

- Zelda NX? I can get the same game on the Wii U and I doubt the NX version is going to have that much unique features.

- Smash Bros NX port? Have a Wii U and i'm not even considering buying that game it if it's a straight up port or even if 2 characters added in. It needs a bunch of characters added in from the Ballot like I mentioned before for me to even consider buying the game. Given the way things are shaping up, Smash NX is going to be a cheap port with the IC's and Inklings added in.

- Super Mario Maker/Splatoon NX ports? The former I can get on the Wii U at any time and the later I have zero interest in.

- Final Fantasy 15? Can easily get the game on the PS4. Same goes with FF7R if it makes it's way to the NX.

- Dragon Quest (insert number here) & Pikmin 4? Don't need these 2 games because i'm not all that interested in buying them.

Really, what is their left for me to want to buy this console? The games that I really want to see on this console have no chance of making it in and the games that are going to be one the console I don't care about or can get elsewhere. I know it's rumors and stuff but even without them what is their left? Not going to care about new IP's because I want some per-existing IP's instead so that's going to rub me the wrong way as well. I honestly think i'm better off skipping like 3 years without buying an NX and sticking with a PS4. Anything Nintendo related I can get on my Wii U and my 3DS.
I mean if you have very specific tastes and these rumours don't seem to your tastes that's fine.

But don't act like these rumours are all 100% correct, or that we couldn't be getting more.

We have no idea what other things Nintendo could reveal.

And nobody is saying you should buy it on release (I imagine most people will wait a year or two, honestly, and that's the sensible thing to do - I'll probably get it on release though because I want the definitive version of the next Zelda game), just that it's not giving the system a fair shake act like the unverified rumours are everything the console has to offer, and act so concrete in your decision based on those alone.

I'd say just wait until E3 before making a major decision on the matter. We know next to nothing about it for sure right now.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Are you GENUINELY basing this SOLELY on the multiple, most likely rumours about launch titles? You mentioned wanting a PS4.5 just 1 page ago, yet all we know of that is how it can make games prettier if the games were made with the 4.5 in mind. I'm sorry, but that's just dumb. At the very least wait till we get official info
I should have also mentioned that I never bought a PS4 before.
I mean if you have very specific tastes and these rumours don't seem to your tastes that's fine.

But don't act like these rumours are all 100% correct, or that we couldn't be getting more.

We have no idea what other things Nintendo could reveal.

And nobody is saying you should buy it on release (I imagine most people will wait a year or two, honestly, and that's the sensible thing to do - I'll probably get it on release though because I want the definitive version of the next Zelda game), just that it's not giving the system a fair shake act like the unverified rumours are everything the console has to offer, and act so concrete in your decision based on those alone.

I'd say just wait until E3 before making a major decision on the matter. We know next to nothing about it for sure right now.
Those are good points but still. E3 is going to have to be mind-blowingly huge for me to want an NX even if it's not at launch.

The 3DS lineup for 2016 was leaked and it's pretty much meh with the exception of Sun & Moon so maybe there will be some big titles for 2017 on that system.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I should have also mentioned that I never bought a PS4 before.

Those are good points but still. E3 is going to have to be mind-blowingly huge for me to want an NX even if it's not at launch.

The 3DS lineup for 2016 was leaked and it's pretty much meh with the exception of Sun & Moon so maybe there will be some big titles for 2017 on that console.
In that case it's somewhat excusable, but the fact you're using rumours from people who either
A: Have no leak history
B: Have a reputation for only being wrong
C: Being wrong all the time but involved in something reliable that isn't involved with leaking games
Is ****ing inexcusable

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I think I'll look into Pokémon Sage more until we get new info on Sun & Moon.

May is too long to be without Pokémon info IMO.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I literally took a shower minutes ago.
Good. Don't forget to brush your teeth. And put some deodorant on if you're going to go outside.

Clean your room too.

I think I'll look into Pokémon Sage more until we get new info on Sun & Moon.

May is too long to be without Pokémon info IMO.
Especially considering we have an entire new generation on the horizon.

Seriously, I can understand them being hush about Zelda, but if you're going to announce an entire Pokémon generation is going to be coming in less than a year, you kinda can't be as silent about it since it comes off as worrying.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
In that case it's somewhat excusable, but the fact you're using rumours from people who either
A: Have no leak history
B: Have a reputation for only being wrong
C: Being wrong all the time but involved in something reliable that isn't involved with leaking games
Is ****ing inexcusable
True though a lot of the info that was leaked like the rumored ports were backed up by a lot of sources. With the way things are shaping up (which as a lot of you mentioned isn't the best indicator for how things are going to turn out) doesn't intrigue me to want an NX so unless E3 turns out to be great for Nintendo I won't be needing the NX for a while, that's what i'm getting at.

Unrelated but do you mind laying off the profanity a bit? It's fking annoying when other people fking swear and yet i'm expected to not fking swear myself which IMO is fking unfair if you fking get what i'm saying.

Don't take the above personally I was just illustrating my point lol.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'd just like to take the time to remind everyone that since there's a discussion going on about what the E3 lineup might be,while there's not a leak for this Retro has been working on something since they finished Tropical Freeze and said thing has no designated console.

Retro is a pretty well liked dev from what I understand, so I figure giving another heads up about the possibility that they may have something ready around launch is definitely worth keeping in mind, especially since the fact that they are working on SOMETHING is at least more concrete than a mere leak even if what it actually is is pretty much a wildcard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
True though a lot of the info that was leaked like the rumored ports were backed up by a lot of sources. With the way things are shaping up (which as a lot of you mentioned isn't the best indicator for how things are going to turn out) doesn't intrigue me to want an NX so unless E3 turnd out to be great for Nintendo I won't be needing the NX for a while, that's what i'm getting at.

Unrelated but do you mind laying off the profanity a bit? It's f*cking annoying when other people f*cking swear and yet i'm expected to not f*cking swear myself which IMO is f*cking unfair if you f*cking get what i'm saying.

Don't take the above personally I was just illustrating my point lol.
You know what else had countless sources? The 'HEY GAIZ SPLEETUN NOOS ABOWT SMEES BROHS N IM NAWT TELLIN TILL FROODI'

This counts as censordodging, the site has an autocensor feature, us it instead of only censoring 1 letter or you'll get infracted

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The reason I made that post was me questoning why others get away from droping F-Bombs yet when I do the same I get warned by a mod. Not cool y'know?

And there's a huge difference between someone like ER and Dr. Toto saying Smash is coming to the NX and me being all like "yo ppl Smash is coming to the NX".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The reason I made that post was me questoning why others get away from droping F-Bombs yet when I do the same I get warned by a mod. Not cool y'know?

And there's a huge difference between someone like ER and Dr. Toto saying Smash is coming to the NX and me being all like "yo ppl Smash is coming to the NX".
Simple. I type all the letters, the site automatically turns it into ****
You censor a single letter, meaning people can still see what you wanted to say, and the site has a rule against doing that

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I see nothing wrong with believing these rumors.I mean in all reality what are they saying that we haven't said before?Nintendo's always played it safe so ports are an obvious thing,FF15 and other square games coming to NX was logical after dragon quest, and the zelda stuff was stuff people have been talking about for zelda wii u.I mean there rumors so you dont have to believe them at all.But the people saying track record and sources just shouldn't be scoffed at

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I see nothing wrong with believing these rumors.I mean in all reality what are they saying that we haven't said before?Nintendo's always played it safe so ports are an obvious thing,FF15 and other square games coming to NX was logical after dragon quest, and the zelda stuff was stuff people have been talking about for zelda wii u.I mean there rumors so you dont have to believe them at all.But the people saying track record and sources just shouldn't be scoffed at
It's just so dumb believed EVERY rumor about the thing. If there was a rumour that Oreo would start getting into the gaming industry and promote the NX by having about 2-3 eshop bucks in every large packet or something, would you believe it?

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
It's just so dumb believed EVERY rumor about the thing. If there was a rumour that Oreo would start getting into the gaming industry and promote the NX by having about 2-3 eshop bucks in every large packet or something, would you believe it?
its dumb to believe every rumor about the thing,i agree with you there.But really what are they saying that we,people with decent knowledge on how nintendo works,cant figure out?Why wouldnt you port the 4 biggest games on a dying console to a new console where there more likely to sell better. The PS4 been out the 3 years,and lets say the NX did start development a few months after the wii u.It only makes sense for it to be around the same level of power. Zelda wii u been ported to NX,people had this idea since day 1,same with a female link,hell remember when zelda wii u was shown off and people thought link was a girl?Im just saying most of the "big rumors" out arent that out there because it just stating obvious stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
its dumb to believe every rumor about the thing,i agree with you there.But really what are they saying that we,people with decent knowledge on how nintendo works,cant figure out?Why wouldnt you port the 4 biggest games on a dying console to a new console where there more likely to sell better. The PS4 been out the 3 years,and lets say the NX did start development a few months after the wii u.It only makes sense for it to be around the same level of power. Zelda wii u been ported to NX,people had this idea since day 1,same with a female link,hell remember when zelda wii u was shown off and people thought link was a girl?Im just saying most of the "big rumors" out arent that out there because it just stating obvious stuff.
Wasn't Emily Rodgers or whatever her name is the first to talk about the 4 biggest games getting ports? She is notorious for never getting anything right

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Wasn't Emily Rodgers or whatever her name is the first to talk about the 4 biggest games getting ports? She is notorious for never getting anything right
You see if you said Liam,i would agree.Has of late(2013-ish)Emily has hit more out of the park than most leakers.She gave us the april direct rumor(correct),The wii u/3ds balance rumor(correct),The paper mario leak(correct),miiverse coming to 3ds rumor(correct). The only one still in the air at the moment is that mother 3(hope you aint forget about that bet of ours).I wouldn't believe them,if they didnt make sense and have people behind them.Or maybe im just a gullible sheep you can decide that one

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You see if you said Liam,i would agree.Has of late(2013-ish)Emily has hit more out of the park than most leakers.She gave us the april direct rumor(correct),The wii u/3ds balance rumor(correct),The paper mario leak(correct),miiverse coming to 3ds rumor(correct). The only one still in the air at the moment is that mother 3(hope you aint forget about that bet of ours).I wouldn't believe them,if they didnt make sense and have people behind them.Or maybe im just a gullible sheep you can decide that one
She was in on the Inkling thing too, and Liam said Emily was right

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd just like to take the time to remind everyone that since there's a discussion going on about what the E3 lineup might be,while there's not a leak for this Retro has been working on something since they finished Tropical Freeze and said thing has no designated console.

Retro is a pretty well liked dev from what I understand, so I figure giving another heads up about the possibility that they may have something ready around launch is definitely worth keeping in mind, especially since the fact that they are working on SOMETHING is at least more concrete than a mere leak even if what it actually is is pretty much a wildcard.
That isn't entirely true.
Retro said they had something ready to show at E3 LAST YEAR that we never got to see.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
That isn't entirely true.
Retro said they had something ready to show at E3 LAST YEAR that we never got to see.
. . .Huh.

I guess maybe they had something for Wii U and it might have gotten bumped to NX?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My point isn't about believing the rumours.

My point is about deciding on whether or not to purchase an NX now, based solely on the rumours.

I don't believe ALL of the rumours personally, but no matter what your stance is there, the one thing for certain is that you can't HONESTLY tell me Wii U ports and Luigi's Mansion 3, and Pikmin 4 are all Nintendo will have to show for the NX at E3, just because that's all the leaks say so far. It's absolutely ridiculous to assert that.

We obviously don't know for certain what they could show SPECIFICALLY, but there is no way they would only have the titles mentioned in leaks so far and nothing else.

The thing about pretty much all of the leaks so far is that they exist because certain people have connections with Nintendo of America. However, Nintendo of America wouldn't have all of the information on the NX and upcoming games so far, so these leakers can only say what they get from their connections at NoA. They're in the dark regarding other projects that may still be under wraps in Japan though.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
. . .Huh.

I guess maybe they had something for Wii U and it might have gotten bumped to NX?
No clue.
The fact that it was supposedly something ready (and this was said like a month prior to E3 iirc) and we have gotten no news in almost a year is pretty shocking

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
This is very unlikely if they really are moving over to x86 architecture.
Why? Even if it's not viable for outright backwards compatibility due to not using PowerPC like Gamecube/Wii/U, they could still make an emulator. Weren't we supposed to get Gamecube games for the Wii U or something and then that fell off the face of the earth or something? The tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist in me thinks that if it was a thing they might have diverted that work into making said emulator.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Question time again.

8-Do you hate me?

9-Is this the real life?
  1. :mewtwomelee:
  2. :dedede:
  3. :4palutena:
  4. Haven't been paying attention.
  5. How couldn't I?
  6. :4bowser::4bowserjr::4littlemac::4link::4luigi::4palutena::4yoshi:.
  7. Living Room, because it has my favorite Smash song.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why? Even if it's not viable for outright backwards compatibility due to not using PowerPC like Gamecube/Wii/U, they could still make an emulator. Weren't we supposed to get Gamecube games for the Wii U or something and then that fell off the face of the earth or something? The tin foil wearing conspiracy theorist in me thinks that if it was a thing they might have diverted that work into making said emulator.
The two options they have for getting a Gamecube VC on NX, if it uses x86, are:

A) Have the physical guts of the Gamecube/Wii (since they're mostly the same) inside the NX, probably meaning they'd have a PowerPC chip in there
B) Develop a software emulator that can run the GC games exactly like how the retail copies ran on the GC.

Both of these are incredibly costly, time-consuming, and difficult processes, meaning that yes, it is very unlikely Nintendo will want to waste time and money on it, especially if it ends up increasing the price of the console at retail.

A lot of gamers don't want to accept it, but, the reality is, the further we go in the console lineage, the less plausible it becomes for backwards compatibility to work, due to the increasing complexity of games.

It'd be a wonder if the NX even has Wii U backwards compatibility. It most likely isn't going to have it if they really are trying to port it's biggest hits.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Question time again.

8-Do you hate me?

9-Is this the real life?
1. :marthmelee:

2. :diddy:

3. :4cloud:

4. I believe Trev's. I believe Zelda is headed for the NX, as I have since this time last year. I believe there will be a Smash port. I believe Zelda NX will have variable genders and VA. I believe the NX will be revealed prior to E3. The rest are a mix of plausible to nonsense.

5. Do you remember Brawl's announcement at E3 2005?

6. Blue

7. 4Side

8. Yeah. **** you. j/k ;D

9. Is this just fantasy?

Question:How do you guys feel about last Year's E3?
Not just Nintendo, that also includes Sony, Microsoft and the rest.
Nintendo's was pretty bad. Sony cleaned house. Didn't watch Microsoft's. Bethesda's was pretty hype iirc. Couldn't care less about EA, Activision or Ubisoft's.

Yeah but no. She gets things right and she gets things wrong. Most recently she leaked Paper Mario.

How quickly we all forget.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The two options they have for getting a Gamecube VC on NX, if it uses x86, are:

A) Have the physical guts of the Gamecube/Wii (since they're mostly the same) inside the NX, probably meaning they'd have a PowerPC chip in there
B) Develop a software emulator that can run the GC games exactly like how the retail copies ran on the GC.

Both of these are incredibly costly, time-consuming, and difficult processes, meaning that yes, it is very unlikely Nintendo will want to waste time and money on it, especially if it ends up increasing the price of the console at retail.

A lot of gamers don't want to accept it, but, the reality is, the further we go in the console lineage, the less plausible it becomes for backwards compatibility to work, due to the increasing complexity of games.

It'd be a wonder if the NX even has Wii U backwards compatibility. It most likely isn't going to have it if they really are trying to port it's biggest hits.
I don't expect it to have Wii U backwards compat, but what I DO expect is for Nintendo to try keeping their backlog ported forwards as much as possible, which is part of why I understand why they're likely to maintain touch controls on their systems.

Developing a PowerPC emulator might be costly, but I think Nintendo would be at least moderately interested in it anyway if only to periodically make money off of games that haven't been available for sale in a while that have had interest in them spike during the time they have been out of production. If the Gamecube and Wii really function so similarly, putting work into one VC might even go part of the way into producing another, killing multiple birds with one stone.

And going the emulator route probably wouldn't spike the retail price of the system the way a PowerPC chip would, anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't expect it to have Wii U backwards compat, but what I DO expect is for Nintendo to try keeping their backlog ported forwards as much as possible, which is part of why I understand why they're likely to maintain touch controls on their systems.

Developing a PowerPC emulator might be costly, but I think Nintendo would be at least moderately interested in it anyway if only to periodically make money off of games that haven't been available for sale in a while that have had interest in them spike during the time they have been out of production. If the Gamecube and Wii really function so similarly, putting work into one VC might even go part of the way into producing another, killing multiple birds with one stone.

And going the emulator route probably wouldn't spike the retail price of the system the way a PowerPC chip would, anyway.
Even if they go the emulator route, that still requires programming staff they could have work on actually new NX games.

It's not impossible but don't hold out for it, as it really isn't in Nintendo's best interests to be perfectly honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom