• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Every time I say "If we're getting a Smash 4 port on NX, we probably won't see a full Smash on NX," people think I'm paranoid.

You say "We're probably not seeing a full Smash on NX, may as well get a port," you get two four likes.

#BlameWhoeverIsPresidentAtTheTimeOrMaybeTakumi
:laugh: Sorry about that. I was only stating my opinion. I could be wrong and maybe we will get another sequel sometime during the NX's lifespan, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it because I personally feel it's more likely we won't considering how seemingly short the Wii U's lifespan was along with how hard Sakurai worked on Smash 4 and even extending the content of the game through DLC for another year after it's initial release. As far as I can tell it's more likely we're going to get a port of Smash 4 instead of Nintendo commissioning work on a brand new Smash right away for an NX release in a few years.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah. Note the specified versions. If there is a NX port, even this isn't coldhard proof that it would apply to it. Yes, it's likely he'd want to keep the same characters, but there's also the factor that the rumor states that Namco-Bandai are working on the port. We don't even know if Sakurai is involved. We don't know if he's applying that same rule to the NX, again, if he's involved at all.

That's the problem with using rules designed for the Wii U/3DS version. This is a different game in the end only based upon those two versions. We can't really say for sure what'll happen. It's pretty smart to expect it to not be a straight port. Nintendo in general can't afford to sell a straight port as a launch game, unless the rest of the launch games(or most) are new games. They need to sell this system. Ports are fine, but they really need to wait to do them. It's basic business; make sure the customer has a damn good reason to get your system and games, and ones that they can't simply get on other/previous systems.

Nah, it'll easily be more than just some bad Wii U port with two characters. The characters(simply 2 alone) won't entice people. They want more than that. It'll be realistically(if the port exists) more of a Hyrule Warrior Legends scale. More than the Wii U stages, all the DLC characters, more balance, etc. It's pretty much obvious it'll be different from the other two versions regardless. Unless Nintendo is interested in committing business suicide, but they clearly aren't that dumb.
Perhaps Smash 4 just happened to be purely designed with the 3DS and Wii U in mind and Sakurai and co. weren't aware of NX's existence at the time? But honestly, I'd rather wait for a brand new Smash Bros. game rather than some bland, unnecessary port for the new system that does little to enhance the experience, even if it takes years to finish. Otherwise, they'd have to convince me to buy that possible NX release in some form. Then again, such a thing hasn't even been revealed yet, but based on the rumors alone, I'm not really fond of it. Now, if it were to bring more features and enhancements to the game in a way that doesn't render the Wii U and 3DS versions as inferior, I would be more supportive of the idea.

I don't think adding all 3DS stages + Ice Climbers will sell the product... there needs to be more than that. Even then, Wii U and 3DS owners would see the addition of NX-exclusive characters as unfair, which may result in a problem. I don't really know.. we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. Can't say much right now.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
:laugh: Sorry, dude. I was only stating my opinion. I could be wrong and maybe we will get another sequel sometime during the NX's lifespan, but I'm not getting my hopes up for it because I personally feel it's more likely we won't considering how seemingly short the Wii U's lifespan was along with how hard Sakurai worked on Smash 4 and even extending the content of the game through DLC for another year after it's initial release. As far as I can tell it's more likely we're going to get a port of Smash 4 instead of Nintendo commissioning work on a brand new Smash right away for an NX release in a few years.
After people insisted I was paranoid, I started to lighten up a bit and consider the possibility that something might happen. In particular I started mulling over the fact that the Ballot said it might be used for multiple games. I'm not going to sit there and expect anything (unless the surrounding hype of a moment gets to me, as I'm fairly vulnerable to succumbing to group moods. . .) because that's stupid, but at this point I'm just going to sit here, wait and see, and cross my fingers as hard as I can.

Still, I was the first one to bring up the possibility of no Smash NX, and the reactions to me and you are a complete 180 from each other despite nothing actually changing in that time span. I can't help but wonder what the heck happened there. :upsidedown:

I guess you're just a better presenter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nothing but rumours/fake leaks has been shown....
Ah.

Think about it like this for a sec; If it doesn't have a touchscreen? How can you make the stage builder work in not just Splatoon, but Smash Wii U. You can't. It means the games have to be changed.

In other words, the idea of a straight port of these games is literally impossible. It doesn't mean tons of content will be added, but if they have to change it, the differences will likely be bigger. Even the Zelda remakes on the 3DS and Wii U have been heavily enhanced. That's why they sold. Other ones were just VC games, at super cheap prices. Those sold fine too. But 60 dollars for a game you likely have when it can't even do the same thing that the original did, and thus, needs more options to compensate for the lack of them? Better be cheaper or different to justify that cut content. That's yet another reason why it's so blatantly obvious Smash NX just won't be a straight port. There's too many reasons to believe that's a load of hogwash.

Now, this might sound a bit bad, but Iwata is the exact reason why Sakurai works on Smash games. He's not around anymore. Why should we believe that Sakurai is involved in Smash NX, when Namco-Bandai was known for doing an amazing job. They know that Sakurai is not just overworked, but the policies he has tends to make it impossible for anyone else to bring out ideas. Sakurai is an amazing man, yes, but he also is too obsessed and has little trust in his crew's own work(he does take their ideas into account, but don't trust them to balance the game nearly as much as some directors do). Leaving it purely to Namco-Bandai, who know very well what they're doing, is a better business decision, and Nintendo's main reason for asking Sakurai has sadly passed away. It's an extremely realistic possibility that Sakurai is not involved in Smash NX. I am not saying he isn't for sure, but if he is, Nintendo's probably not the reason why. Namco-Bandai would likely still want Sakurai to oversee it due to respecting him. However, that's assuming Nintendo wants Sakurai involved. If they are paying Namco-Bandai, it's up to them who is involved.

Moving on, if Sakurai isn't involved, any of his policies aren't that relevant. First, let's not forget that Sakurai is specifying he wants both versions to feel the same. He didn't say "any version of Smash 4 ever". He would already know of a Smash NX. And if the game is to be launched this early, he likely would've been a bit more obvious in his wording that he wants all versions to feel the same. Now, obviously he can't tell us a new Smash NX is coming unless he's involved, and there's also the factor that since Nintendo is the one hiring them, they would want to wait to announce it after the NX has a bit more information. Namely to show off the controller. Once the controller is showed off, they can show the possibilities of games. If it's not a touchscreen controller? We already know many ports cannot be done the same.

Perhaps Smash 4 just happened to be purely designed with the 3DS and Wii U in mind and Sakurai and co. weren't aware of NX's existence at the time? But honestly, I'd rather wait for a brand new Smash Bros. game rather than some bland, unnecessary port for the new system that does little to enhance the experience, even if it takes years to finish. Otherwise, they'd have to convince me to buy that possible NX release in some form. Then again, such a thing hasn't even been revealed yet, but based on the rumors alone, I'm not really fond of it. Now, if it were to bring more features and enhancements to the game in a way that doesn't render the Wii U and 3DS versions as inferior, I would be more supportive of the idea.

I don't think adding all 3DS stages + Ice Climbers will sell the product... there needs to be more than that. Even then, Wii U and 3DS owners would see the addition of NX-exclusive characters as unfair, which may result in a problem. I don't really know.. we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. Can't say much right now.
I doubt IC's and all stages would sell it well either. Wolf was a very hated cut, same with PT as a whole. I mean, they could still add many of the cut characters, and the dlc(although as I said, Cloud is possible as a cut due to licensing fees), and some that were cut during development. I really just have no good evidence to believe it'll be a port of one version. There's just too many strong reasons to believe it'll be unique from the previous versions. And that's assuming it'd even be some kind of port. If a launch title, it's unlikely to be a new game, however, that's not entirely impossible. It could be an all new version that has a different character list, but still is more like a variant of Smash 4 as well. Think of it like Soul Calibur IV base. It has different characters due to the system. It'd be closer to that if it's a new version. The same ideal gameplay, options, but a different character set due to a different set of developers and decisions. Likewise, licensing for 3 versions of the game is a bit more difficult. I don't think they can even get Smash Wii U + DLC to sell for 60 alone without losing too much money. Or 3DS + DLC. Or 3DS + Wii U + DLC. Albeit, if they were to remove everything but the DLC characters/courses(cause ones like Ryu need a course), and hopefully not Cloud, the price is more affordable. The actual DLC was practically the price of the game itself. I doubt the price will be very cheap due to these factors.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They are going to have to do something REALLY special for me to care about the 3rd spiderman reboot since I was in high school

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
to celebrate the return of high quality rips let us play the offcial theme of quality

but in all honesty i have no idea what theyd do for a nx port of smash 4 because they could easily take things from the 3ds version should they feel inclined
I'm afraid this demands a bigger celebration, brother.

Now, that's how you celebrate GiIva's return. Took me 20 minutes. :awesome:

:231:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone just sent me this via text

12966436_10156686212745562_788215867_n.jpg

New pokemon conspiracy theory

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Someone just sent me this via text

View attachment 103768

New pokemon conspiracy theory
As a mexican that would be pretty cool, but it is very unlikely with the red bird Pokémon and the fire trucks.
Also Rayquaza is kinda based on Quetzalcoatl and tbh the strange souvenir doesn't resemble the Toltec statues that much.
On the other side Tonatiuh (the Sun God represented in the calendars) has a symbol on his back that resembles the Pokémon Sun logo in some degree.
lol at the 5 de Mayo part.

I'm afraid this demands a bigger celebration, brother.

Now, that's how you celebrate GiIva's return. Took me 20 minutes. :awesome:

:231:
This masterpiece obviously deserves more than one like from me :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As a mexican that would be pretty cool, but it is very unlikely with the red bird Pokémon and the fire trucks.
Also Rayquaza is kinda based on Quetzalcoatl and tbh the strange souvenir doesn't resemble the Toltec statues that much.
On the other side Tonatiuh (the Sun God represented in the calendars) has a symbol on his back that resembles the Pokémon Sun logo in some degree.
lol at the 5 de Mayo part.

This masterpiece obviously deserves more than one like from me :p
I'm not quite sure Rayquaza is really based that much on Quetzalcoatl seeing as the other 2 legendaries were obvious the behemoth and leviathan.

I know he's not much like the ziz, but it wouldn't really make sense for their peacemaker to be Quetzalcoatl

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I'm not quite sure Rayquaza is really based that much on Quetzalcoatl seeing as the other 2 legendaries were obvious the behemoth and leviathan.

I know he's not much like the ziz, but it wouldn't really make sense for their peacemaker to be Quetzalcoatl
Quetzalcoatl was indeed a not very nice deity but some descriptions of him match with Ray Ray, specifically the title of "Patrón del Viento" (Lord of the Wind) and being a serpent living in the skies.

I always have seen Rayquaza as being mainly based on Ziz but sharing some important traits with Quetzalcoatl (but not all of them considering 'Coatl has a counterpart); basically making him a mix of mythologies that adds also some stuff from chinese dragons.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
If we got Quetzalcoatl, it would be a waste to not have his Yin counterpart as the Moon legendary.

Yes he has what is essentially a Yin. A male Yin, but a Yin nonetheless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tezcatlipoca

The animal form for this guy is a jaguar, and he seems to be a pretty strong candidate for being part Ground type.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If we got Quetzalcoatl, it would be a waste to not have his Yin counterpart as the Moon legendary.

Yes he has what is essentially a Yin. A male Yin, but a Yin nonetheless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tezcatlipoca

The animal form for this guy is a jaguar, and he seems to be a pretty strong candidate for being part Ground type.
When you say "Lord of the night winds"

Ground type is the first thing that comes to mind?

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
When you say "Lord of the night winds"

Ground type is the first thing that comes to mind?
His jaguar form is the god of earthquakes. (also echoes and. . .jaguars)

Or. . .at least I think it's his jaguar form. The mythology is a bit difficult to follow at times.

He's kind of a mess of type attributes, though.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Tezcatlipoca is like the edgy brother of Quetzalcoatl, well both are edgy because their rivlary.
Actually there's like 4 Tezcatlipocas, with Quetzalcoatl being "White Tezcatlipoca"
The "Main" Tezcatlipoca is "Black Tezcatlipoca" and is indeed related to darkness and night.

He's kind of a mess of type attributes, though.
Get used to that; many Aztec deities are literally a collage of random attributes :p

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Games I can see being ported to NX:

Splatoon
Mario Maker
Smash
Star Fox
Zelda (Obviously)

Perhaps Bayonetta 2 (if not Bayo 1 too but that game has been ported to so many systems now) as I can see them trying to capitalize her Smash success into Bayonetta 3 as an early NX game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This talk about the NX is just making me annoyed.

Especially all the port nonsense.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This talk about the NX is just making me annoyed.

Especially all the port nonsense.
I mean I'm sure it won't just launch with ports either, but putting all the Wii U system sellers that a lot of people still missed makes a lot of sense.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean I'm sure it won't just launch with ports either, but putting all the Wii U system sellers that a lot of people still missed makes a lot of sense.
I get the business decision behind...

But porting that much, that quick just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Smash is the only one I'd buy again without major revamps.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I get the business decision behind...

But porting that much, that quick just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Smash is the only one I'd buy again without major revamps.
I can see Smash, Splatoon, and Mario Maker atleast getting new content. Even if just new level tools, weapons, and may be 1 or 2 characters.

Those three were the major late in the game system sellers for the Wii U so I can't see why they wouldn't give some incentive for Wii U owners of those games to buy them again.

Especially if there amongst a good starting line up of new games for the NX.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want to know if they are creating any launch titles for the system that aren't ports?

Would it be normal to not reveal any new games until the last E3 before launch?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The only games I can see getting ports are Smash, Pokken, Super Mario Maker, and possibly Splatoon. Upcoming Zelda is probably a given.

I think one thing people are forgetting is that ports across generations aren't just made because the game is popular but because they can benefit from them. Last of us went from sub 1080p 30fps to 1080p60fps. Every Halo game in the Master Chief collection got bumped up to 1080p60fps.

Most Wii U games are already at 1080p60fps, meaning porting them really won't benefit much unless it's pushing 4K. Games like Pokken and Smash, although not needing the upgrade, would benefit being on more relevant hardware for the competitive scene. Super Mario Maker is recent and still being developed. Splatoon is... uh... it's Splatoon.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I just want to know if they are creating any launch titles for the system that aren't ports?

Would it be normal to not reveal any new games until the last E3 before launch?
Tbh, I think they're waiting for E3 to launch a bombshell of announcements in regards to the NX itself and its games, especially if they have things like that rumoured Metroid game in development.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Vulture? Odd pick, but if the 90's Spidey was anything to go by, it's a good pick
Would you look at that, it seems that Liam is backing up Emily on Super Mario Maker being ported to NX:

Considering the only thing Tama got right in years was Shovel Knight's amiibo, fake. Especially when Tama screwed his credibility on that amiibo even more

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Lol. I'd laugh if a Smash port happened and Shovel Knight just randomly finally showed up.

I'm sure he'd pass it off as if he knew all along, but that'd just be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom