• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Honestly it's a good thing. You wouldn't want a fairly unknown property going up against Indiana Jones of all things. It'd cannibalize the ticket sales. They likely don't want history to repeat itself, with The Good Dinosaur coming out so close to The Force Awakens, for example.

I'm confident the Inhumans movie will turn out great, but it can wait.
Oh yeah, I agree that it probably would, it just would have expected Indiana Jones to be pushed back at least since Inhumans was already there, but then again, having it there in 2020 would be a very nice way to start Phase 4.

Now if it was Infinity War getting pushed...
I would've had a completely different emote at the end of my initial post, that's for sure >_>

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh yeah, I agree that it probably would, it just would have expected Indiana Jones to be pushed back at least since Inhumans was already there, but then again, having it there in 2020 would be a very nice way to start Phase 4.

I would've had a completely different emote at the end of my initial post, that's for sure >_>
I mean I love him and all, but it's likely because of Harrison Ford that it's not getting pushed back. The guy's not getting any younger, and he's already confirmed to be reprising the role.

kylexv

Smash Master
The cover for the sister magazine of coro coro has been posted online. Sun and moon have logos on it, but their placing is odd. Doesn’t help show us what could be inside. And the main issue has yet to be posted online for sale, so I wonder if it’s hiding something new? I hope it means we are getting some piece of info on the games.

Has anybody translated the text above the logos?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Man, Planet Robobot gets a better spotlight on that thing than Sun/Moon.

Took me forever to even find the green box highlighting the logos in that thing.

The cover is pretty badly cluttered, but it seems to be Yokai Watch centered in this issue.

Still, you said "sister magazine." They could just be saving anything they have for the actual thing.

And is this a merch magazine? Because if it is, then it makes more sense for Sun/Moon to have such little coverage as games that haven't even had any of their Pokemon shown off yet can't be expected to have much merchandise ready to be marketed for them.
I honestly have no clue lol. It focuses on everything else relating to products. It also recaps the main coro coro

Has anybody translated the text above the logos?
I don't think so, but I think it's just the magazine name.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Watching Gundam Seed: Destiny, and another opening has started.

I couldn't help but pause at this part:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
It makes me sad when I realize that character DLC in an Indie game has gotten me way more excited and hyped than I ever got for any of the DLC characters they chose to put in Smash 4...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It makes me sad when I realize that character DLC in an Indie game has gotten me way more excited and hyped than I ever got for any of the DLC characters they chose to put in Smash 4...
There's nothing to be sad about. Not every choice will pique your interest. It's normal to not prefer certain choices. LIkewise, it's normal to be more excited for something you prefer.

D

Deleted member

I got excited for Roy when i heard he was leaked yet i was completely apatethic towards Corrin and Bayonetta when they were announced back in December.

We all have preferences man, like Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Smash DLC wasn't too amazing for me personally, but I already got my most wanted from the core game's roster anyway so I don't mind.

:rosalina::4megaman::4sonic:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advance Wars as an NX launch title could be the most amazing thing ever!
That would be awesome. I'd be fine with AW5 being a 3DS title though. As long as AW5 happens period lol.

Methinks that with FE Fates, SMT X FE, and Codename STEAM having it's development wrapped up and PM Color Splash being almost done that development for Advance Wars 5 is well under way and we'll be hearing an announcement at this year's E3.
I feel ya. I wasn't interested in any of the Smash 4 newcomers in the vanilla roster barring Shulk who I liked after playing Smash and DLC was good until the final stretch. Mewtwo and Roy getting back in the game was great but in terms of Newcomers I wanted none of them saw the light of day.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I'm somewhat disappointed that not a single character on my DLC wish list made it in, but that's an incredibly selfish reason. I can appreciate how much it pushed the boundaries, giving us character that were once thought to be pipe dreams.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
That would be awesome. I'd be fine with AW5 being a 3DS title though. As long as AW5 happens period lol.

Methinks that with FE Fates, SMT X FE, and Codename STEAM having it's development wrapped up and PM Color Splash being almost done that development for Advance Wars 5 is well under way and we'll be hearing an announcement at this year's E3.

I feel ya. I wasn't interested in any of the Smash 4 newcomers in the vanilla roster barring Shulk who I liked after playing Smash and DLC was good until the final stretch. Mewtwo and Roy getting back in the game was great but in terms of Newcomers I wanted none of them saw the light of day.
I could definitely see that. It makes sense give the statement and the current info we have on the developments of all the games you mentioned.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As much as I liked the additions of Ryu and Cloud, I think they might have been suited for the vanilla roster of whatever Smash Bros game came next (whether it's an NX port or a fully fledged Smash 5). I personally would have got rid of :4ryu::4cloud::4corrin:and added :wolf:along with 2 other Ballot characters. :4bayonetta:would obviously have to be one of the characters but then there would be room for another 2 characters that were also heavily requested by fans so we could have a DLC roster like this...

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::wolf:K. Rool:4bayonetta:Isaac

Would have much rather preferred this roster over the one we got.

I could definitely see that. It makes sense give the statement and the current info we have on the developments of all the games you mentioned.
Indeed. AW5 is looking to be more likely than before given all the indications and the statement from Intelligent Systems "always thinking about Advance Wars".

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
reasons to include a new type/types into sun and moon
ice types...just ice types look at ice types and realize why there needs to be new types

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I wasn't all that hyped at the DLC selection. . .at the time of their announcements. But after all the insults nearly every character I actually like has endured, the more a character gets utterly blowtorched, the more I find myself seeing them as a great addition to the roster. It's gotten to the point where Corrin and Bayonetta may as well be two of the greatest characters to ever grace the game to me.

Of course, the fact that those two also happen to be some of the most absurdly crazy awesome character concepts I have even seen in my life doesn't hurt one itty bit.

And to be perfectly fair, pretty much the only thing that would get much more than an "oh, that's there" reaction from me would be if they somehow decided Tails would be a good idea, and the reaction the fandom would have to that is something akin to if the entire planet's surface was covered in an oil slick and then nuclear bombs were set off at random points around it.

As much as I liked the additions of Ryu and Cloud, I think they might have been suited for the vanilla roster of whatever Smash Bros game came next (whether it's an NX port or a fully fledged Smash 5). I personally would have got rid of :4ryu::4cloud::4corrin:and added :wolf:along with 2 other Ballot characters. :4bayonetta:would obviously have to be one of the characters but then there would be room for another 2 characters that were also heavily requested by fans so we could have a DLC roster like this...

:4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::wolf:K. Rool:4bayonetta:Isaac

Would have much rather preferred this roster over the one we got.

Indeed. AW5 is looking to be more likely than before given all the indications and the statement from Intelligent Systems "always thinking about Advance Wars".
Well, unless either K.Rool, Isaac, or both didn't even make it into the Top 3 average highest voted.

Considering all the "We ARE struggling together" in this fandom, it's entirely possible that one of them didn't even make it that far.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So pumped right now, we're getting a Dr.Strange trailer tomorrow :D

Also in regards to the DLC choices for this game, I was hyped for every character.

I thought the roster on its own was brilliant (despite a few obvious cuts) and the DLC characters simply only made it better for me personally.

D

Deleted member

What do you think of the Knife type in Fire Emblem Fates?
Not Thiefs using giant ass swords/10
Good utility in your hands, deadly in the hand of the enemy
Hopebit comes back in the next games because
Ninjas and Master Ninjas>Thiefs and Assassins
reasons to include a new type/types into sun and moon
ice types...just ice types look at ice types and realize why there needs to be new types
Just give Ice types resistance to Dragon and some other type, maybe Ghost as it makes non-STAB Dark moves pointless

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wasn't all that hyped at the DLC selection. . .at the time of their announcements. But after all the insults nearly every character I actually like has endured, the more a character gets utterly blowtorched, the more I find myself seeing them as a great addition to the roster. It's gotten to the point where Corrin and Bayonetta may as well be two of the greatest characters to ever grace the game to me.

Of course, the fact that those two also happen to be some of the most absurdly crazy awesome character concepts I have even seen in my life doesn't hurt one itty bit.

And to be perfectly fair, pretty much the only thing that would get much more than an "oh, that's there" reaction from me would be if they somehow decided Tails would be a good idea, and the reaction the fandom would have to that is something akin to if the entire planet's surface was covered in an oil slick and then nuclear bombs were set off at random points around it.

Well, unless either K.Rool, Isaac, or both didn't even make it into the Top 3 average highest voted.

Considering all the "We ARE struggling together" in this fandom, it's entirely possible that one of them didn't even make it that far.
How would Tails entail (no pun intended) some big, negative reaction?

Most people I see say that he should be the first choice for a second Sonic rep. And it's agreed by most that if any of the currently represented third parties were to get a new character, it would be Sonic.

He's a pretty requested addition, and often ranks highly in polls and such. He's the Luigi of Sonic.

Ivander

Smash Legend
What do you think of the Knife type in Fire Emblem Fates?
I think they're a nice idea and despite being only for the ninjas(all Hoshidan Dagger classes are related to the Ninja) and butlers/maids, I think they can work well for thieves, assassins and pirates. So yes, I would like them to come back for future games.
That being said, Shurikens should not give a bonus 2 Speed, especially when there are Shurikens that lower Speed(the biggest offender being Kaze's Needle, as that one not only takes away Speed, Defense and Resistance, but gives Speed to nearby allies). Also, I think the debuffs need to be lowered, especially when almost all Daggers can attack at 1-2. They may not stack(besides enemy Lunatic ninjas), but the majority of Daggers give -4 Defense and Resistance and half of them give -3/-4 to other stats alongside the -4 Defense and Resistance. Then you have the Spy Shuriken that attacks at 3 Range and takes away 5 Defense and Resistance and 2 of very other stat.
Basically, I think they are a bit on the powerful side, but considering how Fates made alot of the more broken things from Awakening much more balanced, like Magic and Pair-up, I think the Daggers can be balanced out as well.

Most people I see say that he should be the first choice for a second Sonic rep. And it's agreed by most that if any of the currently represented third parties were to get a new character, it would be Sonic.

He's a pretty requested addition, and often ranks highly in polls and such. He's the Luigi of Sonic.
The internet can put a negative spin on anything they want to.

The smash fanbase has nearly mastered it.

Let's see
1. Another 3rd party
2. We already have a SEGA character we don't need 2
2.5 " We already have a sonic character and we can't have 2 3rd parties from the same franchise"
3. Tails is pretty much a derivative of Sonic in the games.

And then every argument that comes with any character, not specifically Tails
ex: replaced my other character I want

And that is only off the top of my head and I like Tails so it's hard to think of negatives.

it might not be Corrin+Bayo levels of salt but there if the smash fanbase wanted to get mad over Tails they have the power. :p

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So pumped right now, we're getting a Dr.Strange trailer tomorrow :D

Also in regards to the DLC choices for this game, I was hyped for every character.

I thought the roster on its own was brilliant (despite a few obvious cuts) and the DLC characters simply only made it better for me personally.
Man,Doctor Strange is gonna be so good,i can just feel it.Theres so much potential you have with the character and i cant wait to see him added in the big overarching plot.However are you excited for Suicide Squad?Probably a little bit more interested in what there gonna do with that after BvS.
And are people still a bit salty,over that k rool mii costume?
The internet can put a negative spin on anything they want to.

The smash fanbase has nearly mastered it.

Let's see
1. Another 3rd party
2. We already have a SEGA character we don't need 2
2.5 " We already have a sonic character and we can't have 2 3rd parties from the same franchise"
3. Tails is pretty much a derivative of Sonic in the games.

And then every argument that comes with any character, not specifically Tails
ex: replaced my other character I want

And that is only off the top of my head and I like Tails so it's hard to think of negatives.

it might not be Corrin+Bayo levels of salt but there if the smash fanbase wanted to get mad over Tails they have the power. :p
You forget the obvious that tails would be a sonic and diddy clone :p.This fanbase confuses me sometimes

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

A. HUGE chunk of the fandom hates Sonic as a whole, with a few fringe members even wanting Sonic himself cut while most of the rest despise him but put up with him as long as he's alone but bristle up and instantly try to shut anyone down who so much as mentions a preference towards having more Sonic characters.

B. To a far, far, FAR, FAAAAAAR lesser extent, there's a lot of people who insist that Knuckles or Dr. Eggman-oh, I'm sorry, "Robotnik", deserve the place instead.

C. And he has a bit of a vocal hatedom for his voice acting. I don't know how on earth these people handle Kirby, but there's a part of the fandom that fumes at the possibility of anything with a sufficiently high-pitched voice getting in.

Plus what A Distant Demon A Distant Demon said, although I don't really need to repeat it since they covered it. Those are all the standard arguments other than what I said, basically.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've been pleased with the final outcomes of each DLC character, myself - I feel like this is now a record of my thoughts on each character.
:4mewtwo:: It's one of those additions that makes so much sense, given how much love it has from it's fanbase and that it's such a unique character.
:4lucas:: Even though he wasn't my most wanted veteran, i certainly felt a sense of joy and relief for his fanbase.
:4feroy:: The Boy Roy - Of course I'd be hyped, even if it was leaked.
:4ryu:: Of course, it'd be even more of a hype bomb if it weren't for the leak, but it is pretty cool to fight as Ryu in Smash.
:4cloud:: A Final Fantasy come true - Cloud was unbelievably hype, and one of my favourite additions to the series. With Final Fantasy finally in Smash, I can now have one of my most wanted crossovers play out - Fire Emblem VS Final Fantasy (Though if it ever happens, do not go down that path)
:4corrin:: Initially my least hyped since it was inevitable we'd be getting Corrin as soon as Ryouma appeared, but changed to excitement with the remix of "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" and that he's a dragon with a chainsaw.
:4bayonetta:: As soon as Pit took the stage, I did say with a sigh, "Oh well, we might not get K. Rool..." and when I saw her, the reaction was a speechless George Takei "Oh, my!" The one character everyone brushed off, only to dominate the Ballot entirely. Another personal favourite, and as soon as she was revealed, I dived straight into the world of Bayonetta. Of course, I did have to hang up my Kutthroat Krown for somewhat obvious reasons, but the surprise and excitement I had at Bayonetta's inclusion was legitimate.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
Caeldori's conversation with Chrom in the beginning reminds me of Blonic.

I'M NOT CORDELIA, I'M MY OWN ORGINAL CHARACTER, CAELDORI!

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Man,Doctor Strange is gonna be so good,i can just feel it.Theres so much potential you have with the character and i cant wait to see him added in the big overarching plot.However are you excited for Suicide Squad?Probably a little bit more interested in what there gonna do with that after BvS.
And are people still a bit salty,over that k rool mii costume?

You forget the obvious that tails would be a sonic and diddy clone :p.This fanbase confuses me sometimes
I concur on the Dr.Strange points :awesome:

When I saw the Suicide Squad trailer I was alot more excited for that movie than BvS :p

Also I think some people might be but they're very little in number.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Whose to say that's the case at all? Just because Bayo won that doesn't mean the characters we wanted didn't stand a chance. That's complete bull really. For all we know the Ballot winner was chosen in like May or June and all the other characters that were higher up got Mii Costumes like K. Rool.

As for Isaac, i'm not sure why he didn't get a Mii Costume but he still had to be up there in the Ballot (Keep in mind Rhythm Heaven didn't have a Mii Costume and the series almost had a playable character in Smash 4). DD still sold well in NA so he could have seen a lot of NA support mixed in with EU and a bit of Japanese support. If half of the people who bought DD voted for Isaac then Isaac would be well up in the Ballot. I have my own theory on the character personally.

Methinks he was actually planned to be in the vanilla game and even had some work done for his moveset but it came to a point where it was Shulk VS Isaac and Sakurai decided to go with the newer JRPG series that seemed to have more life in it and hence why Shulk is in the game. Further backing this is the fact that Isaac's AT was cut (do you really he would get cut for no reason at all while all these obscure series got in as AT's?) and that there was even a DD track added to the game in addition to the pre-existing Brawl track which IMO was Sakurai's way of saying "Hey I didn't forget about this series y'know?". If Smash NX is a thing and is going to be a port with added characters, then Isaac's chances aren't completely lost. Maybe this port will include characters that were lower priority from the vanilla roster in addition to Isaac like Chorus Men and Wolf.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I stand by that I don't think Bayo fits. And that I'm not excited about her inclusion.

However, I am happy for those that are big fans of the franchise. As really anything can happen. So I have no reason to continually complain that a character is in this already awesome roster.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not gonna lie, I love the "Lost in Thoughts" theme song.

If only there was a way to get those 2 songs in to my game and still not to have to spend a cent on :4corrin:.

Whose to say that's the case at all? Just because Bayo won that doesn't mean the characters we wanted didn't stand a chance. That's complete bull really.
Coricus only mentioned the possibility, which is quite apparent. Based on the fact that Bayo scored so low on many of our polls (although it doesn't help a lot of polls were thrown away if they didn't have "favorable" results) it's entirely feasible our echo chamber was dead wrong
As for Isaac, i'm not sure why he didn't get a Mii Costume but he still had to be up there in the Ballot (Keep in mind Rhythm Heaven didn't have a Mii Costume and the series almost had a playable character in Smash 4).
Rhythem Heaven's nearly playable status and Isaac's ballot support have no correlation.
If half of the people who bought DD voted for Isaac then Isaac would be well up in the Ballot.
That is quite the assumption. A pretty grand one at that.

Shulk VS Isaac
I'm pretty much certain it isn't a "one or the other" kind of deal.

Also the roster was decided VERY early in development. J/S
Further backing this is the fact that Isaac's AT was cut (do you really he would get cut for no reason at all while all these obscure series got in as AT's?)
There are plenty of other theories for this.

1. Not being handled properly by the 3DS
2. Gustbellows
3. Isaac's falling relevancy
4. Coincidence (probably the most likely choice)
there was even a DD track added to the game
We got a song from Metroid Prime Hunters out of the blue as well. I wouldn't count musical choices as a hint towards anything.

Not gonna lie, I love the "Lost in Thoughts" theme song.

If only there was a way to get those 2 songs in to my game and still not to have to spend a cent on :4corrin:.
Lost in Thouts All Alone is Worth $5.99 easily :p

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the overall roster was fine even though practically none of the characters I actively supported made it into the final game. I did grow a fondness for Villager over time during development though.

Oh well, so long as Toon Link, Mewtwo, Ness and Villager remain a part of the series from here on to the future, I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Whose to say that's the case at all? Just because Bayo won that doesn't mean the characters we wanted didn't stand a chance. That's complete bull really. For all we know the Ballot winner was chosen in like May or June and all the other characters that were higher up got Mii Costumes like K. Rool.

As for Isaac, i'm not sure why he didn't get a Mii Costume but he still had to be up there in the Ballot (Keep in mind Rhythm Heaven didn't have a Mii Costume and the series almost had a playable character in Smash 4). DD still sold well in NA so he could have seen a lot of NA support mixed in with EU and a bit of Japanese support. If half of the people who bought DD voted for Isaac then Isaac would be well up in the Ballot. I have my own theory on the character personally.

Methinks he was actually planned to be in the vanilla game and even had some work done for his moveset but it came to a point where it was Shulk VS Isaac and Sakurai decided to go with the newer JRPG series that seemed to have more life in it and hence why Shulk is in the game. Further backing this is the fact that Isaac's AT was cut (do you really he would get cut for no reason at all while all these obscure series got in as AT's?) and that there was even a DD track added to the game in addition to the pre-existing Brawl track which IMO was Sakurai's way of saying "Hey I didn't forget about this series y'know?". If Smash NX is a thing and is going to be a port with added characters, then Isaac's chances aren't completely lost. Maybe this port will include characters that were lower priority from the vanilla roster in addition to Isaac like Chorus Men and Wolf.
My point was basically, "Just because they could have been doesn't mean they were."

Your counterpoint is, "That doesn't mean they weren't."

We're arguing opposite ends of the exact same point, that we have no idea how it could have gone.

I'm just skeptical about the possibility of it turning out EXACTLY like the vocal fandom's wildest dreams even if it made it to Top 3, and you assumed that meant that I thought they COULDN'T have made it. They could have, I just don't think it's the best idea to jump to the conclusion that they absolutely did. If Bayo turned out a surprise result, who's to say the next highest voted character wasn't another Third Party or something? I even think it's at least plausible that one of them -maybe both, who knows?- made it up there, it's just that stating the possibility of them BOTH making it to Top 3 seems a bit like wishful thinking to me.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I mean.
Honestly.
Of the newcomers, there was one character I like went full force behind and that was :4shulk:. Only after Gematsu because it's what made me spend $60 on a copy of Xenoblade and binge that game. At the conclusion "Yeah, this game NEEDS Smash acceptance and damn there's a lot to work with for his moves." :4palutena: as a second on the grounds of "Sakurai helped make Uprising, it was great, and Palutena's a clear second choice for Kid Icarus."

Of our DLC? :4lucas:was the only one I was happy to see when they were revealed. :4mewtwo: was a whatever. :4feroy::4ryu: was a leak I tried to not believe in for a while. And I was mighty salty when :4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin: were all revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom