• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Kenobi seemed to have a thing for the queen of Mandalore
From what I've seen from the Clone Wars TV series, Kenobi did have a romantic relationship with Satine, but because he was a Jedi, he had to part ways with her. Maul did use their relationship to his advantage in hopes of making Kenobi suffer, but while Maul did successfully kill Satine in front in Kenobi, his own brother and apprentice Savage would later be killed by his former master, Darth Sidious.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 9.28.29 PM.png

This was my result for the personality test - ENFJ - The Protagonist.

Strengths: Charisma (No wonder I maxed it out in Fallout 4:p)
Altruistic
Reliable
Tolerant

Weaknesses:
Too sensitive: It's something I've learned over my time on the internet and other world wide web hang outs. Example: if someone badmouths a character or game that I like, I'm most likely to take an emotional backstep from what I read.
Fluctuating self-esteem: Had a major hit of this this morning - I almost completely forgot about an assignment that I had to submit, and I'm likely to lose at least 20% of the marks. Upon this realisation, I had a mini-freakout and felt a strong frustration with myself.

This is a fascinating read, and I can see a number of parallels with these results; but I need to get ready for bed soon. Night, Nintenzone.

Attachments

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So what's going on? Someone claiming Obi Wan is straight or gay or something?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So what's going on? Someone claiming Obi Wan is straight or gay or something?
I was just talking about how the manner in which J.K Rowling disclosed Dumbledore's sexuality was bad and hamfisted and broke immersion, and someone brought up a comparison to Obi-Wan which turned out to not even be a comparable example since that was disclosed within the story anyway.

Anyway...

JonTron has got some ECHs to share on a recent happening:

In all seriousness, I agree with him.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I was just talking about how the manner in which J.K Rowling disclosed Dumbledore's sexuality was bad and hamfisted and broke immersion, and someone brought up a comparison to Obi-Wan which turned out to not even be a comparable example since that was disclosed within the story anyway.

Anyway...

JonTron has got some ECHs to share on a recent happening:

In all seriousness, I agree with him.
"Ultra Chess".
Lol. I guess bughouse chess might be considered Ultra Chess. I'd still want normal chess though.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'm glad you got it out. There's some times in everyone's lives where even though you don't want pity, it just feels really lonely and painful to keep a situation bottled up inside.

Not really anything else I have to offer on that. You're clearly a very caring person, though, and in this day and age where so many people seem to be only capable of spouting hatred that's a massive plus on your character.
Thanks. That actually means a lot. And I guess that's why this hurts so much, I actually cared for her and our future so much. I've had plenty of break ups, they're nothing new to me, but nothings brought me to tears like this...

I'm not even certain on how I feel, but I feel as if I lost something major. Not just the future I was dreaming of, but even the friendship between the two of us. Because I haven't seen her lately despite her being active... So I worry that I'm just screwed up all around.

But if I'm proven wrong, I'll signilize it via using her art as avatars again.

D

Deleted member

It was clone wars that did it

"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: TheClone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand"

Clone wars IS canon
That was not what I meant, I was talking specificaly about the movies
No, this is all still bad writing.

I know what Word of God is, and I never said it was inherently bad, but J.K Rowling used it badly.

Word of God is supposed to be used to confirm things that may have been hinted at in the product, usually when they want to leave something ambiguous for a while and see what conclusions people come to on their own, using the hints given. Example, in KH2, Sora has the "Anti-Form" transformation out of nowhere sometimes. It isn't outright explained why this happens, but due to the appearance and mannerisms Sora takes on in this form, most assumed it had something to do with how he transformed into a Heartless in the first game. Tetsuya Nomura ended up confirming the theory in an interview.

The difference between that situation and the Dumbledore one, is that Nomura left breadcrumbs in his actual product for his audience to pick up on.

Rowling did not do this, she pulled Dumbledore's sexuality out of her butt, and never even remotely did anything to build up to it. That's really poor writing and is a negative example of the Word Of God trope.

And you're right about Obi-Wan, and that's why his sexuality wasn't discussed in interviews. Turns out his sexuality has been at least a somewhat relevant character trait of Obi-Wan's character, so that's not even a good example for you to bring up from any angle here.

So again, I ask - why did J.K Rowling even disclose Dumbledore's sexuality when she never even remotely wrote that into his character or gave it any importance?

Like I said before, it comes off as her trying to gain brownie points in the LGBT community, at the expense of immersion.
Word of God CAN be used like that
Keyword: can
It is anything not present in the story that becones canon because, well, "God" said so, from a simple confirmation to other small tidbits
It is not bad writing to mention mention something that wasn't in the original work as it wasn't part of the plot
There is no need to "build up" something so trivial
Well, I'm gonna end my argument here because you just CAN'T try to argue that leaving out trivial details out of a story is bad writing
Wether or not it is pandering is irrelevant to this
****ING FINALLY! I HAVE A N3DS! I CAN FINALLY TRY KH AND THE ORIGINAL XENOBLADE
Download the EO demo, nerd

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That was not what I meant, I was talking specificaly about the movies

Word of God CAN be used like that
Keyword: can
It is anything not present in the story that becones canon because, well, "God" said so, from a simple confirmation to other small tidbits
It is not bad writing to mention mention something that wasn't in the original work as it wasn't part of the plot
There is no need to "build up" something so trivial
Well, I'm gonna end my argument here because you just CAN'T try to argue that leaving out trivial details out of a story is bad writing
Wether or not it is pandering is irrelevant to this

Download the EO demo, nerd
Leaving out trivial details isn't bad writing, but an authour wanting a character to be perceived a certain way in relation to something trivial (then again, the sexuality of a character isn't always trivial, and fans of the character might want to know it) without leaving any breadcrumbs that might hint at a character having a specific trait, is poor writing. If they have to make it up later on and out of universe while having never hinted at it, they have failed at implementing that character trait in an immersive way. That's poor writing. Objectively, like you can't even debate this, it's just the basics of writing. The last thing you want is to pull your audience out of the experience or warp their perceptions on a character beyond what was presented in your work, for no reason. And that's exactly what J.K Rowling went and did.

I mean it's fine if people like Dumbledore being gay, I don't have an issue with him being gay. The execution was just poor (in the sense that there basically was NO execution).

D

Deleted member

What I wonder is, if it was a different trait, like say, him liking chocolate cake,if we would even be having this discussion of dumbledore. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why are still arguing over Dumbledore again?

This is now the second day we're arguing over this.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's pretty awesome Star Fox Zero made a Iwata tribute. I'm still sad he's gone...

Also, I wonder how much longer are Nintendo games going to credit Iwata as the executive producer (the latest I've seen is Twilight Princess HD).

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
It's pretty awesome Star Fox Zero made a Iwata tribute. I'm still sad he's gone...

Also, I wonder how much longer are Nintendo games going to credit Iwata as the executive producer (the latest I've seen is Twilight Princess HD).
Well, games can be in development for years, so it's possible he'll continue to be listed for quite some time. Even if they stop listing him as Executive Producer, as long as he touched the game at somepoint during his lifetime, I'm sure there will continue to be a memorium segment for him.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
What I wonder is, if it was a different trait, like say, him liking chocolate cake,if we would even be having this discussion of dumbledore. :p
We probably wouldn't because people wouldn't care to bring it up. The fact it has to do with his sexuality though, means certain people are bound to be passionate on the subject and will try to defend it as good writing regardless of whether or not it actually is.

Why are still arguing over Dumbledore again?

This is now the second day we're arguing over this.
Well, the discussion is finished now.

But since you're curious, the fact it was the "second day" depends on where you live. This all happened on the same day for me, and was much less than 24 hours no matter where you live, and there honestly wasn't much going on in the thread in the timespan anyway. This really isn't an impressive situation.

Besides, there really isn't any "official post cap" on discussions.

I made my point, and it was a rather simple one. Some people seem to not get it and try to convince me of things that can't be true (i.e that this case wasn't bad writing). It's not my fault if people do that.

D

Deleted member

"This Game is dedicated to our wingman who fell in battle".

Why does Nintendo have to make me so sad?

Last edited by a moderator:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had a customer at work that wanted to use a coupon for an item. The coupon wasn't FOR the item she had but a manager took her side because the customer was whining and yelling and didn't want to deal with it

So, I changed the items price to reflect the coupon. I think the coupon gave her one of the items free, but because of what was said on the coupon and the different in the actual items she got, as well as the fact we can't literally sell and item for $0, I had to take some price off one item and some price off the other.

Well, the woman complained I did it wrong. I showed her my math, which was right, but she just kept on yelling and complaining.

The same manager came over and the woman explained it was her opinion she should get $X more off the item. I showed the manager my math, and the manager didn't seem to understand math.

The woman got $X more off the item, making it she got BOTH ITEMS FREE because it was her opinion math was wrong.

Opinions based on ignorance outweigh math

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Bringing up Iwata actually reminded me of a tribute that I was painting that I never got around to finishing (I have such a hard time these days committing myself to any art project)...

I wonder if I should try to complete it anyway...despite it being around a year since his passing...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Bringing up Iwata actually reminded me of a tribute that I was painting that I never got around to finishing (I have such a hard time these days committing myself to any art project)...

I wonder if I should try to complete it anyway...despite it being around a year since his passing...
I also had ideas for art tributes for Iwata that I never got around to. I was too busy at the time.

I instead resorted to just making some screenshot compilations.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Tetsuya Nomura apparently now believes 2013 was too early of a time to announce KH3, citing fan demand as part of the reason he ended up announcing it that early.

I had a customer at work that wanted to use a coupon for an item. The coupon wasn't FOR the item she had but a manager took her side because the customer was whining and yelling and didn't want to deal with it

So, I changed the items price to reflect the coupon. I think the coupon gave her one of the items free, but because of what was said on the coupon and the different in the actual items she got, as well as the fact we can't literally sell and item for $0, I had to take some price off one item and some price off the other.

Well, the woman complained I did it wrong. I showed her my math, which was right, but she just kept on yelling and complaining.

The same manager came over and the woman explained it was her opinion she should get $X more off the item. I showed the manager my math, and the manager didn't seem to understand math.

The woman got $X more off the item, making it she got BOTH ITEMS FREE because it was her opinion math was wrong.

Opinions based on ignorance outweigh math
Remember. The customer is always right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Getting triggered over a gun, typical America.
Ironically, guns laws in your country are much more strict compared to here. Hunting is fine and dandy, but you can't use that semi-automatic rifle anywhere else. But it won't be long until America slowly adopts such rules.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Was the pun intended? :laugh:

:231:
* yes, it was completely intended. *

Ironically, guns laws in your country are much more strict compared to here. Hunting is fine and dandy, but you can't use that semi-automatic rifle anywhere else. But it won't be long until America slowly adopts such rules.
This is embarrassingly true. A recent shooting Tasmania among other things are to blame for how things changed since the 80's.

Even we are still behind when it comes to LGBT rights to this day.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
SmashBoards was the last place I'd expect to find arguments about politics, gun laws, and the likes.

Is news so slow we ran out of things to talk about?

D

Deleted member

We probably wouldn't because people wouldn't care to bring it up. The fact it has to do with his sexuality though, means certain people are bound to be passionate on the subject and will try to defend it as good writing regardless of whether or not it actually is.
I can see where you're coming from, but it's rather subjective. Because, again, it doesn't objectively affect the quality of the books. It wasn't added into it, because it didn't need to.

Because really, it's a small trait to Dumbledore.(A huge number of characters aren't to shown to have a sexuality of any kind, now that I think about it.) He just happens to like men, just like people happen to cake. Though some people are more expressive and passionate about cake then others....~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom