• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Honestly...

I think Adam needed to be written not as a Japanese military man like he was written as, but the father figure he was meant to be.

He can still be a hardass, just give him a couple of soft spots.

It's why I think conversations with Adam would have been a good way of humanizing him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly...

I think Adam needed to be written not as a Japanese military man like he was written as, but the father figure he was meant to be.

He can still be a hardass, just give him a couple of soft spots.

It's why I think conversations with Adam would have been a good way of humanizing him.
It's not even that, just make him less spiteful towards Samus, what Other M told me is that Adam was deliberately being a **** to Samus because she became independent

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not even that, just make him less spiteful towards Samus, what Other M told me is that Adam was deliberately being a **** to Samus because she became independent
That's part of the Japanese Military Man.

Adam being "spiteful" could have worked if it ended up being suspicion.

I mean think about it. Adam leads a troop of men there and suddenly a bounty hunter he hasn't seen in years shows up?

Considering he's trying to stop a government conspiracy, she could have been sent to shut him up.

Adam could be hard on her because he honestly doesn't trust her, but through out the game he slowly opens up as he becomes more sure she's good. That way, his "abuse" is justified and Samus and Adam are given a chance to bond, thus making his eventual sacrifice more impactful, because he's finally giving her his full trust.

Other M frustrates me because it has so much missed opportunity. The ideas are really good. They just weren't given their full potential.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's part of the Japanese Military Man.

Adam being "spiteful" could have worked if it ended up being suspicion.

I mean think about it. Adam leads a troop of men there and suddenly a bounty hunter he hasn't seen in years shows up?

Considering he's trying to stop a government conspiracy, she could have been sent to shut him up.

Adam could be hard of her because he honestly doesn't trust her, but through out the game he slowly opens up as he becomes more sure she's good. That way, his "abuse" is justified and Samus and Adam are given a chance to bond, thus making his eventual sacrifice more impact, because he's finally giving her his full trust.

Other M frustrates me because it has so much missed opportunity. The ideas are really good. They just weren't given their full potential.
The problems Other M has is pretty much everything outside of a few areas. Anthony was alright, nobody minded him after all. The gameplay showed Samus actually doing acrobatic stuff, something that the Power Suit was said to enhance, and Ridley's subtlety is done quite well. By the last one I'm specifically talking about Ridley's intelligence, as there are more than enough subtle clues Ridley's DANGEROUSLY smart, which only really got shown off at the beginning of Metroid Prime iirc

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The problems Other M has is pretty much everything outside of a few areas. Anthony was alright, nobody minded him after all. The gameplay showed Samus actually doing acrobatic stuff, something that the Power Suit was said to enhance, and Ridley's subtlety is done quite well. By the last one I'm specifically talking about Ridley's intelligence, as there are more than enough subtle clues Ridley's DANGEROUSLY smart, which only really got shown off at the beginning of Metroid Prime iirc
Honestly, the core ideas and gameplay of Other M are outstanding.

It's just bogged down by bad writing and culture differences that don't translate well.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Dumbledore's sexuality was so relevant to the plot, seeing as he was in love with the man who potentially murdered his sister.

His love for Grindelwald was so great he almost became a dark wizard himself.

I mean, it makes sense being implied but why not just have Dumbledore say 'because I loved him' rather than beat around the bush and subtly imply that perhaps they were an item.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Honestly, the core ideas and gameplay of Other M are outstanding.

It's just bogged down by bad writing and culture differences that don't translate well.
I can't disagree harder on the gameplay part. You CAN'T backtrack, something that even Fusion, which back when it got released was heavily criticized for being too linear, was able to get right. The story took more priority over the gameplay, which is terrible as those are weak and strong points of the entire franchise. You CAN'T move in FPS mode, which is frustrating if you need to fight an enemy that needs to be taken down with missles. There are useless point-and-click sections, which do NOTHING. And finally...Other M ACTUALLY gave me physical pain when playing it as Sakamoto was a huge ****ing crybaby and demanded Wiimote only despite a Dpad not working well in a 3D environment

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I can't disagree harder on the gameplay part. You CAN'T backtrack, something that even Fusion, which back when it got released was heavily criticized for being too linear, was able to get right. The story took more priority over the gameplay, which is terrible as those are weak and strong points of the entire franchise. You CAN'T move in FPS mode, which is frustrating if you need to fight an enemy that needs to be taken down with missles. There are useless point-and-click sections, which do NOTHING. And finally...Other M ACTUALLY gave me physical pain when playing it as Sakamoto was a huge ****ing crybaby and demanded Wiimote only despite a Dpad not working well in a 3D environment
Some of those sound like you problems.

I thought the controls and first person thing just fine. And the gameplay while not standard Metroid fare does allow you to backtrack. Just after beating the main story. Plus, it was advertised as an action game and its a damn good action game.

Point and Click sections were dumb though.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
My psych teacher didn't believe in those kinds of personality ratings
Fair enough, considering the closest thing it reminds me of in the way it's presented is Astrology.

Still, it's kind of fun to just roll with either one of them from time to time. The way things line up semi-accurately can be pretty fun.

. . .Yknow.

The fact that it can apply so strongly to so many people might just mean that people are a whole lot more similar on the inside than most of us would think.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Some of those sound like you problems.

I thought the controls and first person thing just fine. And the gameplay while not standard Metroid fare does allow you to backtrack. Just after beating the main story. Plus, it was advertised as an action game and its a damn good action game.

Point and Click sections were dumb though.
It just kills the pace having to switch modes by pointing the Wiimote at the screen, and considering how vulnerable you are due to lack of movement it really just hinders you
How exactly is it my fault if the Dpad hurts my thumb the whole time?
But at that point I wouldn't want to backtrack! In Metroid, the reason you backtrack more often or not is because your fancy new power up lets you get that Energy Tank or Missle Pack you couldn't get, but at the end of the game, Phantoon is the only real threat
It didn't have the thrill most action games perfectly nail, it's just you running around, holding 1, and letting go when fully charged, maybe tap the Dpad to dodge everything and fully charge, but that's not exactly action game material. An action game should give you multiple options right from the get go, and the one you used was your choice

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It just kills the pace having to switch modes by pointing the Wiimote at the screen, and considering how vulnerable you are due to lack of movement it really just hinders you
That's the thing.

It's a high risk, high reward scenario. You're meant to use it when you know you can get away with it. It's not something you're meant to throw out willy nilly.

How exactly is it my fault if the Dpad hurts my thumb the whole time?
Didn't say it was your fault. Just a you problem. As in one that's more your circumstances than that of the game.

But at that point I wouldn't want to backtrack! In Metroid, the reason you backtrack more often or not is because your fancy new power up lets you get that Energy Tank or Missle Pack you couldn't get, but at the end of the game, Phantoon is the only real threat
I agree and see it as a flaw, but it does exist in the game.

It didn't have the thrill most action games perfectly nail, it's just you running around, holding 1, and letting go when fully charged, maybe tap the Dpad to dodge everything and fully charge, but that's not exactly action game material. An action game should give you multiple options right from the get go, and the one you used was your choice
Eh. I thought it was fun.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's the thing.

It's a high risk, high reward scenario. You're meant to use it when you know you can get away with it. It's not something you're meant to throw out willy nilly.

Didn't say it was your fault. Just a you problem. As in one that's more your circumstances than that of the game.

I agree and see it as a flaw, but it does exist in the game.

Eh. I thought it was fun.
But when you're facing enemies who ONLY take damage by missles, it kills the flow, as it's just running around until you get enough time to do something tedious
My mistake
Then I'm at the very least doing something right in a debate
Subjective, so I can't argue against it

Also, quick question: If you buy a 3DS/N3DS with a game on it, my example being Xenoblade 3D, does it get hooked up on your NNID, get downloaded on your SD card or the system itself?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
intp.jpg

Meh, I got INTP again. That's what I usually get.

I've also gotten INFP before.

See how the Thinking /feeling is almost 50/50

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
See, here's the weird thing.

I could have sworn I'd taken the test or something like it before a while back and rolled something different than INFP, but I am pretty darn sure it still started with IN- and the only other thing with lettering that looked anywhere close to what I might have gotten was INTP. Not sure if I actually had gotten it before, but I was suspicious before anyone started bringing up their own straddling results.

. . .Hmmm.

I got the same thing.

But the result would probably a lot different if things went right last week. But, a lot of my confidence went down, hard. In pretty much every way.
I feel like I should probably say something helpful to improve your confidence, but I'm terrible with words and cliches will do nothing. Still, I can't just leave you feeling unsure of yourself like this.

. . .

*hugs*

. . .

*gives candy*

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.44.52 AM.png

This is what I get every time nowadays, with my Extraversion being the only thing that fluctuates, usually dependent on my mood.

However this part always makes me smile:

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 12.49.17 AM.png

Four of my all-time favourite fictional characters being on there. ^_^

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have no idea who any of these people are

Fictional INTPs

Aemon Targaryen from Game of Thrones
Lord Varys from Game of Thrones

Neo from The Matrix
Alexander Mahone from Prison Break
Marshall Flinkman from Alias

Chloe O’Brian from 24
Leslie Winkle from The Big Bang Theory

Except Neo, who isn't exactly a role model

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We're doing Myers-Briggs now?

This is mine.

The INFP list includes people like Shakespeare and Tolkien. No objections there. :denzel:

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's fine, I don't share what's going on with me to get help, as strange as it sounds. I kind of just do it so I don't feel so alone.

Well, mine as well share what happened to get it off my chest.

The beginning of this month was great, me and my girlfriend, who have been together for months at this point, had a fantastic relationship. She inspired me to do something with my adult life, I ended up planning things that I would've never thought of planning out before. She really did inspire me, and she made me happy when everything around me just felt miserable and depressing.

Then, after one night, a night which we had a ton of fun with and really gave me hope and confidence for my life, she seemingly disapeared. I started worrying if I did something wrong. Weeks went by and I grew more and more depressed as usual. Until she finally got to talk to me fully april 3rd...

And then my fears were confirmed. Turns out that she fell for someone else, a girl. Because she had a crush on her before she even met me, and decided that she just loved her slightly more. And then right during then, on a differfnt website a little after I got a whooooole wall of text on how much I suck and how terrible of a person I am in the most vigor manor, followed by other people joining in. Me and my former GF voice chatted. I started crying, she thought it was because of those people, but really, it's far from that....

Logically, I shouldn't be depressed, she said she still loves me and that I'm her best friend, even saying that she couldn't live without me at that point, but still... I just got incredibly depressed to the point where I just started going deep into the internet to find suicide videos, of well, people killing themselves. That's just how bad I felt, it was because I felt the future I had in front of me was crushed almost completely. I just wish I were brave enough to end everything at that point... That's how I almost always feel alone, despite being an introvert.

Luckily last week I accidently contacted her sister(I was actually looking to talk to her GF.) and she was very lighthearted and kind to me. Like, extremely, talking to her made me feel like my old self. She was crazy about me too. :p Like, I wonder how someone is even that cheerful in a reality like this...

Anyway, I hope I get lucky one day and she changes her mind. I've been depressed today, especially since I haven't seen her at all lately. But I'll always keep her sister's words in mind.(And no, I'm not going to kill myself, if I end up lonely I'll be at least a single parent eventually.)

Just a story to get all the thoughts out of my head...

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It's fine, I don't share what's going on with me to get help, as strange as it sounds. I kind of just do it so I don't feel so alone.

Well, mine as well share what happened to get it off my chest.

The beginning of this month was great, me and my girlfriend, who have been together for months at this point, had a fantastic relationship. She inspired me to do something with my adult life, I ended up planning things that I would've never thought of planning out before. She really did inspire me, and she made me happy when everything around me just felt miserable and depressing.

Then, after one night, a night which we had a ton of fun with and really gave me hope and confidence for my life, she seemingly disapeared. I started worrying if I did something wrong. Weeks went by and I grew more and more depressed as usual. Until she finally got to talk to me fully april 3rd...

And then my fears were confirmed. Turns out that she fell for someone else, a girl. Because she had a crush on her before she even met me, and decided that she just loved her slightly more. And then right during then, on a differfnt website a little after I got a whooooole wall of text on how much I suck and how terrible of a person I am in the most vigor manor, followed by other people joining in. Me and my former GF voice chatted. I started crying, she thought it was because of those people, but really, it's far from that....

Logically, I shouldn't be depressed, she said she still loves me and that I'm her best friend, even saying that she couldn't live without me at that point, but still... I just got incredibly depressed to the point where I just started going deep into the internet to find suicide videos, of well, people killing themselves. That's just how bad I felt, it was because I felt the future I had in front of me was crushed almost completely. I just wish I were brave enough to end everything at that point... That's how I almost always feel alone, despite being an introvert.

Luckily last week I accidently contacted her sister(I was actually looking to talk to her GF.) and she was very lighthearted and kind to me. Like, extremely, talking to her made me feel like my old self. She was crazy about me too. :p Like, I wonder how someone is even that cheerful in a reality like this...

Anyway, I hope I get lucky one day and she changes her mind. I've been depressed today, especially since I haven't seen her at all lately. But I'll always keep her sister's words in mind.(And no, I'm not going to kill myself, if I end up lonely I'll be at least a single parent eventually.)

Just a story to get all the thoughts out of my head...
Well, I'm glad you got it out. There's some times in everyone's lives where even though you don't want pity, it just feels really lonely and painful to keep a situation bottled up inside.

Not really anything else I have to offer on that. You're clearly a very caring person, though, and in this day and age where so many people seem to be only capable of spouting hatred that's a massive plus on your character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Hey guys, it's been a little while. Anything new or something?

Since you're all taking a personality test, I guess I can join in on the bandwagon.

INTJ.png

Among famous INTJs, there's Beethoven, Nietzsche and Putin. Not sure what I feel about that. lol

And looking back on the thread, here's my political alignment:

I guess they suit me fine.

D

Deleted member

Late reply but I feel like it was needed
I also ask why Dumbledore's sexuality is relevant. It's why I'm saying it's dumb of Rowling to bring it up in interviews. She didn't make it relevant in the story, so why make it relevant after it's finished?
It's not, that's the point
Word of God can be used to fill in small and trivial details like that
Dumbledore being gay is still not relevant to the plot at all so she didn't suddenly make it "relevant"
Yes, I was given more reason to believe he's asexual. Again, it's not concrete, but if you write a character in a way that never even brings up any sexual attraction, then the reader has more reason to believe they are asexual than anything else. Keeping in mind that asexuality is defined by a lack of attraction. If I see no on-screen attraction, then I have seen a lack of attraction. That's just common sense.
That just means their sexual attraction isn't the focus of the character
There's no point to show it if it's not relevant
Take for example, Obi-Wan Kenobi, would knowing whatever his sexuality is change the plot of the Star Wars movies? No, it wouldn't, AS IT IS NOT A RELEVANT CHARACTERISTIC
No, bad writing is not subjective. Nothing "bad" or "good" is subjective when talking about quality (like the quality of writing). It's objectively bad writing to not bring up something at all in a narrative, and later claim out of universe that "it is the case".
It is not objectively bad writing
We are talking about a case of Word of God and if you're gonna claim that it is an objectively bad writing trope, then you clearly don't know what you're talking about
It is a simple example of it, a neutral one(does neither good or bad to the narrative), character sexualities aren't always relevant as I've been saying and fans would like to know it despite being trivial
In a story, every word counts, if it is not important to the plot or the characters, then it should be simply left out even though, canonically, it would still be there
Word of God is mainly used to reveal such trivial hidden details

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Dumbledore being gay is still not relevant to the plot at all so she didn't suddenly make it "relevant"

Take for example, Obi-Wan Kenobi, would knowing whatever his sexuality is change the plot of the Star Wars movies? No, it wouldn't, AS IT IS NOT A RELEVANT CHARACTERISTIC

We are talking about a case of Word of God and if you're gonna claim that it is an objectively bad writing trope, then you clearly don't know what you're talking about
It is a simple example of it, a neutral one(does neither good or bad to the narrative), character sexualities aren't always relevant as I've been saying and fans would like to know it despite being trivial
In a story, every word counts, if it is not important to the plot or the characters, then it should be simply left out even though, canonically, it would still be there
Kenobi seemed to have a thing for the queen of Mandalore

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm talking specifically about the movies
It's hard to keep track of everything the EU has done
It was clone wars that did it

"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: TheClone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand"

Clone wars IS canon

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You say this but forget a MAJOR rule in writing...Show, don't tell. This means don't outright say something, but leave enough subtle hints about it for the reader/watcher/player to figure it out themselves, Outside of Ridley, Other M constantly told what was happening to the player without showing anything, which is one of the reasons it's universally considered pisspoor writing
That's literally exactly what I've been saying this whole time.

Burruni

Smash Hero
If I hear one more person say that Kanji is gay, I'm gonna punch him
At no point did I say he was.
I said that it was left partially ambiguous if he remained curious but MORE IMPORTANTLY it tackles some of the bigger points about that side of life without having someone just be "the gay guy."
Trust me, I get upset about it like you do.
But he clearly retains attraction to girls throughout the story. Even gets punted off a cliffside once for it.

Anyways 'morning. everyone.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

No, this is all still bad writing.

I know what Word of God is, and I never said it was inherently bad, but J.K Rowling used it badly.

Word of God is supposed to be used to confirm things that may have been hinted at in the product, usually when they want to leave something ambiguous for a while and see what conclusions people come to on their own, using the hints given. Example, in KH2, Sora has the "Anti-Form" transformation out of nowhere sometimes. It isn't outright explained why this happens, but due to the appearance and mannerisms Sora takes on in this form, most assumed it had something to do with how he transformed into a Heartless in the first game. Tetsuya Nomura ended up confirming the theory in an interview.

The difference between that situation and the Dumbledore one, is that Nomura left breadcrumbs in his actual product for his audience to pick up on.

Rowling did not do this, she pulled Dumbledore's sexuality out of her butt, and never even remotely did anything to build up to it. That's really poor writing and is a negative example of the Word Of God trope.

And you're right about Obi-Wan, and that's why his sexuality wasn't discussed in interviews. Turns out his sexuality has been at least a somewhat relevant character trait of Obi-Wan's character, so that's not even a good example for you to bring up from any angle here.

So again, I ask - why did J.K Rowling even disclose Dumbledore's sexuality when she never even remotely wrote that into his character or gave it any importance?

Like I said before, it comes off as her trying to gain brownie points in the LGBT community, at the expense of immersion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom