• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Still, as interesting as those numbers are, Yo-kai Watch still has more original Yo-kai designs than palette swaps.

The Yo-kai palette swaps are not a big deal to me, as long as there is enough original Yo-kai to compensate it.

I do not feel like it is really something to complain about, it feels more like an excuse just for Pokemon fans to avoid the game.

I shouldn't be complaining right now though, I getting extremely hooked on the Wibble Wobble game that just released today.

D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone can compliment Pokemon for its first designs either
Dugtrio and Magneton, Grimer and Muk, Ditto, ****ing Voltorb and Electrode and the list goes on
Blaming YW for reskins when Pokemon had and has basically the same problem is kinda unfair

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think Pokemon Gen 1 did any better with its first design's in terms of diversity as there where a few design's that either just added another two heads or where a bigger version with a different facial expression and whatnot.....

Yokai Watch apparently having at least 152 diverse looking design's is quite a good feat though. Especially for its first instalment imo.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pokemon gen 1 was also nearly 20 years before from a company that started out printed a video game enthusiast magazine

Yokai watch's creators had much more experience and had examples of others who made similar games to rely on

This whole comparison is stupid.

Tbh I don't like recolors.

Besides, you are counting out pokemon evolutions as "not being unique" but not yokai evolutions.

How many unique, fully evolved yokai are there?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So the "developer" who claimed to have one of the NX development kits just uploaded a video. I may be slow on this, but whatever.

And it's fake. Thank goodness.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So the "developer" who claimed to have one of the NX development kits just uploaded a video. I may be slow on this, but whatever.

It was a ****ing 3D model the whole time.

Fake leaks have evolved to frightening levels.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Well it hasn't been talked to death, so I'm pretty sure you were the first on this.

Since this was the first leak, I'm guessing everyone else jumped onto the bandwagon.

I'm surprised the thread hasn't exploded with sighs of relief or anything. . .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Let us not forget this either:

Everyone literally thought Marill was just a blue variant of Pikachu at one point.

...And that "Pika-like face" trend hasn't exactly stopped, even with Pokémon not related to the Pikachu evolution line.

It's also harder for the Yokai Watch team to make their designs compared to the first Pokémon team, because A) they have a much more specific theme to work with (while Pokémon doesn't HAVE a theme, at least not anymore, that's for certain) so they can't go too crazy with designs, and B) they started out making these designs from the get go for a 3D game, which is more difficult than making designs for a pixelated 2D game from the get go, since you have to account for more angles, not to mention all of the Yokai are animated while the original Pokémon weren't.

You can go back and forth with comparing the two franchises but at the end of the day, the only thing they have in common is their genre. You can make any two games of the same genre sound like the exact same thing if you break them down to their most vague, core description of their genre. I can do the exact same thing with Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ash is going to have that rematch with Alain in a few weeks, so maybe Alain gives the bands to both him and Greninja as a way to better control the transformation process.

I'm more looking forward to that "Greninja and Ash's bond weakens arc" that is hinted in the XY&Z opening (and it looks like it could happen soon with that upcoming rematch with Alain as it also looks Ash will battle Sawyer again in that same episode), as well as seeing how will the anime reveal Lysandre's misanthropic ideology (and of course, I'm also looking forward to that Sulfuric battle. The anime version of his gym looks a lot cooler than the one in the games IMO)

And Diantha finally appearing in the anime again after around 90 episodes is a good thing since it felt like the anime was going to completely forget about her until the Kalos League matches just like how she barely appeared in X and Y's story. Greninja vs Gardevoir will be interesting to see, that's for sure.
I was thinking Allan would give him it as well. Which means Lysandre is aware of him now, as Lysandre hands out the mega items and watches over Allan's progress.
How they handle the bond from here will definitely be interesting. Don't know if Sawyer or dianthia show up just yet, but Sawyer probably will show up first, with a mega, so I wonder how they do that. Greninja is probably going to still win.

Unless Ash wins the league this team, I'd be willing to bet that they make allan or Sawyer take him out. I'd prefer Allan though because that's a much better way of doing the story imo.
I also hope Ash does fight more megas soon.

Gaaaaah I can see that band on Greninja's arm, but I can't see what's embedded into it! It's teasing me!

I will say that the idea of Ash Greninja is very odd to me, as it either means that Ash is going to be represented in some direct fashion in the games, or that whatever Ash Greninja is represents a more vague new mechanics concept that the anime is simply able to portray in this specific of a fashion because it doesn't have to worry about programming something for several trainers and several Pokemon.
I think the Kalos starters will get some type of human mega form thing.( Perhaps as a reference to the fact that they are based off of classes. Most notably, ones in games like D and D in which you are represented by that class. It be an interesting comparison) Ash Greninja is just a way of showcasing it without giving away to much info to the fans.

I do think GF is trying to merge the anime and games in some way. Which could work if done in small ways and put in the right places. I wouldn't be to shocked to see Ash in Sun and Moon, but it probably won't happen. Allan seems possible though.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
It was a ****ing 3D model the whole time.

Fake leaks have evolved to frightening levels.
Let's not forget how Smashified started.

In this day and age, it's possible (with the right amount of skill) to fake something to such a convincing degree that you can neither prove nor disprove it's legitimacy by visual means alone.

Fakes have progressed to such a degree that the ESRB leak and Greninja's existence as a Pokemon were both considered to be fakes because so many other fakes were so well made that the real thing having any flaws whatsoever was considered to render it fake.

Welcome to the 21st century, folks.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I was thinking Allan would give him it as well. Which means Lysandre is aware of him now, as Lysandre hands out the mega items and watches over Allan's progress.
How they handle the bond from here will definitely be interesting. Don't know if Sawyer or dianthia show up just yet, but Sawyer probably will show up first, with a mega, so I wonder how they do that. Greninja is probably going to still win.

Unless Ash wins the league this team, I'd be willing to bet that they make allan or Sawyer take him out. I'd prefer Allan though because that's a much better way of doing the story imo.
I also hope Ash does fight more megas soon.
I don't know if Alain has any badges though. It seemed like he was more interested in being the strongest Mega Evolution trainer rather than a Pokemon champion, though that could make an interesting plot twist. I'm not entirely in for Alain winning the League though, mostly because I don't want him to be another Tobias. That is, I'd prefer the trainer that knocks Ash out of the league by using most of his team instead of a single Pokemon like Tobias did (though he technically used two Pokemon against Ash in the Sinnoh League).

But man, I too would love to see Ash face some more Megas. Greninja vs Mega Gallade would be absolute hype for me, and just imagine if Wally actually appeared in the anime as a rival to Ash with said Pokemon. Oh, how cool that would be, but looks like I can only dream.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't know if Alain has any badges though. It seemed like he was more interested in being the strongest Mega Evolution trainer rather than a Pokemon champion, though that could make an interesting plot twist. I'm not entirely in for Alain winning the League though, mostly because I don't want him to be another Tobias. That is, I'd prefer the trainer that knocks Ash out of the league by using most of his team instead of a single Pokemon like Tobias did (though he technically used two Pokemon against Ash in the Sinnoh League).

But man, I too would love to see Ash face some more Megas. Greninja vs Mega Gallade would be absolute hype for me, and just imagine if Wally actually appeared in the anime as a rival to Ash with said Pokemon. Oh, how cool that would be, but looks like I can only dream.
I could see Allan secretly having badges from that training long ago, but if he shows up, it's probably going to be because Lysandre sent him in to get more mega info, and either gave him badges, or provided him fast transport to beat the gyms.

And wally in the anime would be amazing. I wish they did spinoffs to the anime like origins for each new game, but it seems that was a one time thing sadly :(
Hope they do them for the anniversary though...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So Disney has stated Wreck-It Ralph 2 is still happening (YAY)!

Whether or not :4mario: showing up this time isn't set in stone right now.

So Disney has stated Wreck-It Ralph 2 is still happening (YAY)!

Whether or not :4mario: showing up this time isn't set in stone right now.
Isn't that REALLLLLLY old news or is this one of those cases where it was previously heavily implied but not officially confirmed?

Because I would have bet money it was already confirmed

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Isn't that REALLLLLLY old news or is this one of those cases where it was previously heavily implied but not officially confirmed?

Old, yes, but Disney made such statement today.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

It was already confirmed, still ecited though, and could easily see mario in it.

What would your reaction be, if wreck It Ralph 2 is an ad for the NX?

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
hey guys um

none of you probably remember me (dw im pretty forgettable)

but I'm gonna try and stay active now (YIP YIP, HOORAY! boooooooooooooo)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
hey guys um

none of you probably remember me (dw im pretty forgettable)

but I'm gonna try and stay active now (YIP YIP, HOORAY! boooooooooooooo)
I remember you as being one of the people who does Pokémon Nuzlockes.

Hopefully that helps.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I remember you as being one of the people who does Pokémon Nuzlockes.

Hopefully that helps.
WOOOOOOOOOO

*sniff sniifff i have no motivation to finish my platinum whatsoever tbh

prolly gon try to play it on like friday but POKKENNNNNN*

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNmXpwwNePs

Funnily enough some people responded and mentioned the Rosalina amiibo shenanigans.
Well yeah I can see why he's calling that hentai.

Basically any anime styled game, he'll call it hentai. Or if it has cool and prominent female characters, which is where the Rosalina thing comes from.

Funny thing is, I don't just remember him for the Rosalina thing (which is still a thing IIRC, last I heard, the count of Rosalina amiibos he has is at like, over 250).

Back in 2010, I watched some of his Sonic rants and stuff.

And I remembered how, in an effort to boycott Sonic 4 (because green hentai eyes lol), he bought digital copies of Sonic 1 and encouraged people to do the same.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm not emotionally stable enough for mocking acceptable targets without getting paranoid that I'll be modded.

I'm also not emotionally stable enough to explain the edits without being embarrassed.

This post is turning into a lose-lose situation for my psyche right now.

I apologize if you liked the original post and I'm sorry for the edits, I thought it was funny but then my brain started breaking down. . .

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tales of Berseria has a character whose skirt is literally made of books
FB_IMG_1458870348126.jpg

I need an excuse to play this game

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Tales of Berseria has a character whose skirt is literally made of books
View attachment 101314
I need an excuse to play this game
My weird paranoia bout says I shouldn't make this joke, but. . .

I think we all know who :4robinm:'s going to *marriage mechanic* now.

. . .Close enough to what my sane. . .er self would intend, I guess.

D

Deleted member

I need this in my life. :love:
I don't think it would be too practical though
I mean, can it even cover anything?
Not like fashion needs to be practical anyways
My weird paranoia bout says I shouldn't make this joke, but. . .

I think we all know who :4robinm:'s going to *marriage mechanic* now.

. . .Close enough to what my sane. . .er self would intend, I guess.
He's gonna wear out those tomes
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm sorry but not actually

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
At any rate, I've decided to look at those patents to see what the NX controller might actually look like, if not the same as the leaks.

From what I can tell so far, it will be something along the same lines of the leaks after all, and it will likely be met with a similar amount of hatred.

However, I can see evidence that it will contain at least one key feature that the fake leak excluded that will make it much more similar to conventional controllers.

Handles.

It's still going to be a touch screen controller, and the screen is most likely going to even encase the entire top, but the leak is kind of like when people thought parts of Anomalocaris were three different animals. It still has the touch screen oval top, but that's just part of the controller.

All evidence on the document points towards it having the same handles as any other normal video game controller.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I've been working on a little Blender project in order to learn some new skills and tricks in the program. In the spoiler, I will show my progress on it and also why I am working on this specifically (if anyone cares about that).

While I am trying to make a model for a possible Smash mod for Tennis Rosalina, I have to do something else first - restore, and potentially improve, the original Ultra Smash model!

I'm about 95% done with the texturing aspect. I'm done with placing textures on, but in regards to her jewelry, I'm still fiddling with the materials to make them look as pretty as possible. They aren't final yet but they give you an idea. The lighting is also extremely basic here.

I'm also thinking on doing some bump mapping on her clothes so you can see the cloth texture a bit better, like in the actual Ultra Smash game.

After that, I need to fix her rig up.

In case you are wondering why this is even a thing I am doing, a little backstory is required. Ultra Smash model ripping has started, but I heard that people were having trouble with getting Rosalina's model to rip perfectly, which is why it hasn't been uploaded to Models Resource. Someone had a pretty good rip though, that they ported into XNALara and MMD, and has been using them for these dance videos in MMD.

So a user on these forums managed to port the XNALara file into a .DAE file (which can be imported in to Blender), and they sent the model and textures to me. However, they said they couldn't get the textures to remain working upon sending the file. Furthermore, the model was all one mesh (rather than having different parts of the body split up into their own meshes for easier and more versatile texturing, editing, and animation). And as you can see in that video, there was no "materials" on the model. Although the textures were there, the jewelry and what not wasn't shiny, like in the game, and the cloth of her clothes didn't look like cloth. Additionally, the model was built for the Blender Internal Engine, and not the Cycles Engine (the former uses CPU and is more basic, the latter uses GPU and is much more powerful and in-depth for things like textures, materials, and lighting).

So I set out for a couple of things:

-Separate the mesh into different parts
-Apply the textures
-Update the materials to be as close to the original game as possible, if not even better (merely using game screenshots and her promotional render as a reference)
-Fix up the rig so she can be easily animated, in versatile ways
-Potentially make a copy of the model with an even higher vertex count

As for what I plan to use this model for, aside from the Smash mod (which may even require me to tone it down in quality - not sure yet though), I'm considering possibly editing it to make a battle outfit or more fantastical costume or something like that. And I think I could put her in some environments and make some renders, maybe even some animations. In general though, I'll probably release it for others to use once it's done.

Doing this is definitely helping me learn more tricks in Blender, especially in working with the Cycles Render Engine. It's already inspired some other projects. So while some people may feel it's stupid that I'm doing something on Rosalina for whatever reason, look forward to the next project I will do - I won't say what it is, but I will say that I think people will more widely appreciate that one. The only hint I will give, is this:

It doesn't involve any of the characters in that GIF, but the GIF symbolises what I plan to do. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom