• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I will now proceed to post an Irish Chrom meme none of you will get and I will likely be the only one here who gets it. :p

Naruto manga was pretty good, or at least for my completely unrefined tastes. Certainly helps that there are no filler arcs involved. (Anime is still going with manga over ages ago!)

. . .Until the final arc. Jeez that was bad. Everything felt made up, even by Naruto's standards, and it was just. . .bad. In the finale arc they jumped the shark like 40 times. It got sillier each time.

Naruto straight up becomes god or something

At least it ended with Naruto winding up with the correct girl.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Naruto manga was pretty good, or at least for my completely unrefined tastes. Certainly helps that there are no filler arcs involved. (Anime is still going with manga over ages ago!)

. . .Until the final arc. Jeez that was bad. Everything felt made up, even by Naruto's standards, and it was just. . .bad. In the finale arc they jumped the shark like 40 times. It got sillier each time.

Naruto straight up becomes god or something

At least it ended with Naruto winding up with the correct girl.
And now you can watch the anime but with their children!

It's almost like fire emblem! How Poetic!

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I like Naruto for the most part, only the Sasuke story-arcs I dislike as I never found him an interesting character until the Boruto stuff (real dumb name IMO).

I can see the flaws but I see them more as to pointing out the flaws with major series such as Star Wars/Harry Potter/LotRs/etc. Would rather have the series take a break like DBZ and come back fresh, but am glad to see they're taking things slower than before/Boruto has a lot of promise. I just wish the anime would end already, 6 months of filler that poorly retells the entire series...why!?

In other news, Assassination Classroom has finished it's run. First series to legitimately make me laugh starting off and legitimately cry/feels at the near end. Felt slightly rushed at the end, but it's more character/situation driven than story driven anyway. Surprised to see they're going to not do a 3rd Season and wrap things up this season instead. :sadeyes:

"'Anonymous' targets Donald Trump"

Definitely not a news article title i would expect to see.
Doesn't surprise me with all the hell he is raising, though I doubt it'll do anything given "long list of **** that hasn't derailed him or his supporters." It's a mix of hilarity and legit terror. I hope the GOP goes through some needed reform regardless, but I'm definitely not voting him come this election cycle.

D

Deleted member

Everything in Naurto Shippuden irked me after the first 2 arcs. Especially that last Arc in the series.
Part 1 was about politics, corruption, racism, war, loyalty and the consequences of hatred and lust for power
Shippuden's first half was about Well-Intentioned Extremists(and not being able to drop the worst villain of the series *cough* Orochimaru *cough*)
Shippuden after the Pain Arc was about inconsistent character writing, stupid plot twists that make no goddamn sense, forgettable new characters but most importantly, a **** measuring contest of who has the stronger jutsus and techniques
The final arc is just the most exaggerated finale I've ever seen and I still have no idea what the **** happened

It makes me sad because there were great characters on it
Zabuza and Haku were the perfect antagonists for its first arc
The Sand trio was well developed
Kakashi having a ****ton of hidden depths
All of the Leaf Village teams, but especially Shikamaru
Kimimaru for having one of my most valued traits
Itachi not actually being a generoc edgy villain but having noble intentions
Ditto for Pain
Kisame and his "heroic" (unecessary) suicide
****ing Jiraya man...

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I like Naruto for the most part, only the Sasuke story-arcs I dislike as I never found him an interesting character until the Boruto stuff (real dumb name IMO).

I can see the flaws but I see them more as to pointing out the flaws with major series such as Star Wars/Harry Potter/LotRs/etc. Would rather have the series take a break like DBZ and come back fresh, but am glad to see they're taking things slower than before/Boruto has a lot of promise. I just wish the anime would end already, 6 months of filler that poorly retells the entire series...why!?

In other news, Assassination Classroom has finished it's run. First series to legitimately make me laugh starting off and legitimately cry/feels at the near end. Felt slightly rushed at the end, but it's more character/situation driven than story driven anyway. Surprised to see they're going to not do a 3rd Season and wrap things up this season instead. :sadeyes:

Doesn't surprise me with all the hell he is raising, though I doubt it'll do anything given "long list of **** that hasn't derailed him or his supporters." It's a mix of hilarity and legit terror. I hope the GOP goes through some needed reform regardless, but I'm definitely not voting him come this election cycle.
I didn't know AC was ending already. My little bro is obsessed with it, but I haven't gotten around to watching it really. Only saw the first five episodes.

D

Deleted member

I want to clarify now that my only experience with Naruto is the Anime (which, from what i gathered, has Tons, TONS AND TONS of pointless filler). So i have no opinion on the manga whatsover.

D

Deleted member

I want to clarify now that my only experience with Naruto is the Anime (which, from what i gathered, has Tons, TONS AND TONS of pointless filler). So i have no opinion on the manga whatsover.
Some of the filler are great though
*cough*Utakata's Arc*cough*

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Naruto went from a 7/10 series to a 4/10 series to a 5/10 series, back to a 7/10 series then went down to a 3/10 series and ended as a 10/10 as due to Naruto winning the best girl.

You don't understand the power of the best girl winning. Everyone loves Hinata. During my middle school-high school years, she was the best waifu until Yukiko destroyed my life in 2015

Part 1 was about politics, corruption, racism, war, loyalty and the consequences of hatred and lust for power
Shippuden's first half was about Well-Intentioned Extremists(and not being able to drop the worst villain of the series *cough* Orochimaru *cough*)
Shippuden after the Pain Arc was about inconsistent character writing, stupid plot twists that make no goddamn sense, forgettable new characters but most importantly, a **** measuring contest of who has the stronger jutsus and techniques
The final arc is just the most exaggerated finale I've ever seen and I still have no idea what the **** happened

It makes me sad because there were great characters on it
Zabuza and Haku were the perfect antagonists for its first arc
The Sand trio was well developed
Kakashi having a ****ton of hidden depths
All of the Leaf Village teams, but especially Shikamaru
Kimimaru for having one of my most valued traits
Itachi not actually being a generoc edgy villain but having noble intentions
Ditto for Pain
Kisame and his "heroic" (unecessary) suicide
****ing Jiraya man...
And this is the worst part.

Naruto had sooooooo much potential.

So many cool side characters (Shikimaru awas probably my favorite character in the show) and awesome potential because ****ING NINJAS WITH MAGIC.

. . .and then we got what it did. Boring things being bad is pretty much nothing. Things with potential to be great not reaching their potential is just dissapointing.

Im sure everyone can think of quite a few other pieces of media that fall under the category of "great potential that went to waste."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Guys, i have an obsession with the DK Rap, help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Guys, i have an obsession with the DK Rap, help me.
He has no style, he has no grace. This Smashboards user, has a funny face!

He can handstand when he needs to and stretch his arms out, just for you!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The best thing to ever come out of the entire Naruto brand was this.

Last edited:
I actually loved Nuts and Bolts

For the record my "wasted potential" things that I can think of are:
Naruto (duh)
Metroid Other M (That action looks so cool. Too bad any game in that style would IMMEDIATELY be hated even if it brought everything back that made Metroid, Metroid)
The Purge
Fable (The entire series is untapped potential)
Xenoblade X
I expect the Kid Icarus franchise to join this list soon.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is Xenoblade X a bad game? I haven't played it before but I thought people had favorable thoughts on the game. Was it a step down from the first Xenoblade?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Man I still haven't even picked up fates yet...Will probably just pick up Birthright when I get the chance...

However my time is preoccupied by a few other games, so it may be a while before I even play it...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sonic Heroes, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Robert Griffin III's pro career, Sucker Punch movie, Sting's WWE run and the whole Legend of Korra series are perfect examples of wasted potential

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Is Xenoblade X a bad game? I haven't played it before but I thought people had favorable thoughts on the game. Was it a step down from the first Xenoblade?
If you enjoyed Xenoblade Chronicles for it's story then you will probably be disappointed by the sequel as it puts much less emphasis on story and the story in it is flat out not as good.

Characters are a subjective thing, but personally, as someone who has yet to get XCX, I don't have near as much face value interest in the XCX cast compared to the first game. Also XCX's Nopon character that hangs around with your party, is apparently pretty bad from what I hear, as opposed to Riki who was a really well written character (and super helpful in battle to boot).

And I personally don't find the world as interesting. There is nothing necessarily wrong with XCX's world, but the first game was set on top of TWO FRIGGIN' TITANS which made for some AMAZING and wholly unique areas and the world had such a unique feel to it. XCX has nice looking environments, but reverting to a standard landmass was always gonna be a step down from the original game's setting, in my opinion. Again, not knocking XCX as there isn't anything wrong with it's world, I wouldn't even bring this up if the first game didn't have the setting it did. But yeah, it's difficult for them to top two titans for a world setting and I just don't get the same sense of wonder looking at XCX's worlds.

Pretty much everything regarding gameplay though, is very much improved from what I hear.

D

Deleted member

Thing with the most wasted potential? Easy pick for me and plenty of people I'm sure.

Ended up being so bland and boring that I haven't played any new First Person Shooters since. And that's saying a ton, I used to be all over those.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Most of the notable changes from Xenoblade did not serve the game well and there are a number of "glaring" issues in the structuring where it kinda feels like designers went with the mentality of "more is better" but didn't balance it as well as they should have.

From its prequel, the only major problem that was fixed was the poor mobility you had in the original Xenoblade. Both naturally and then of course exponentially moreso via Skells.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Game with wasted potential.

Mindjack. It's hints towards he big plot twist were so terrible that it broke Angry Joe.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Most of the notable changes from Xenoblade did not serve the game well and there are a number of "glaring" issues in the structuring where it kinda feels like designers went with the mentality of "more is better" but didn't balance it as well as they should have.

From its prequel, the only major problem that was fixed was the poor mobility you had in the original Xenoblade. Both naturally and then of course exponentially moreso via Skells.
I didn't find the limited mobility an issue in the original Xenoblade, not in general at least. It felt like the game was designed around this fact and it helped them make some Zelda-esque puzzling environments, as opposed to XCX which is much more pure open world like Fallout or something.

XC is my 2nd favorite game of all time so my standards were a bit high

But it feels like there were a lot of issues, ranging from major to minor, that made a potentially spectacular game, a great/good game instead.

I could go into a lot more detail but it's late. In short there are a few issues in the game including the awkward use of cross, a lot of focus on lin and elma making the rest of the characters in the game suffer (doesnt help quite a few people consider Elma to be very bland), a "weaker" story (subjective but i strongly agree) and quite a few other things.

I still cant uderstand that they removed the red aggro indicators from XC. Would have saved me a few 100 times in XCX. . .

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
XC is my 2nd favorite game of all time so my standards were a bit high

But it feels like there were a lot of issues, ranging from major to minor, that made a potentially spectacular game, a great/good game instead.

I could go into a lot more detail but it's late. In short there are a few issues in the game including the awkward use of cross, a lot of focus on lin and elma making the rest of the characters in the game suffer (doesnt help quite a few people consider Elma to be very bland), a "weaker" story (subjective but i strongly agree) and quite a few other things.

I still cant uderstand that they removed the red aggro indicators from XC. Would have saved me a few 100 times in XCX. . .
You know what else would've saved you a few 100 times in XenoX?
When the path to a Lv19 boss didn't include bypassing a few dozen proximity aggro enemies in their 30s if not higher that the game's "guide" function of the follow ball leads you right into.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I lost my motivation to go through Xenoblade X for a second time after restarting. But after thinking, its for the best, I need to play other games.

Especially with my other Wii U games I haven't completed. (Cayman Legends, Cayonetta 2, Cirby's Rainbow Curse)

I need to finish before the NX arrives.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
wasted potential eh

instead of Amusement Vision making a good third game, SEGA flipped them off, cancled it and instead partnered with Travellers' Tales to give us the Sonic '06 equivalent for this series

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
OR/AS delivered in some ways (Grass/Dragon Mega Sceptile and cool Delta Episode thing), but had lots of wasted potential in others.

Also, Zebra Longwings. They be crazy. Their pupae look freaky and the males sometimes mate with butterflies even before they emerge from the chrysalis.

----

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Wasted potential?
Pixels. While I don't think it's as bad as most people say it is, there's no doubt it could have been so much better. Even if it was done in Futurama, I love the concept so much.

Rayman Origins' story. The game was originally a prequel to Rayman 1 and would tell Rayman's Origins, I was really looking to see how that played out. Instead we got a sequel to Rayman 3 with little story. I didn't ruin the game, it's still a platforming masterpiece, but I still would of loved to see that original story.

Conker in Project Spark. Was it what people wanted? No, but I thought this was a good way to bring back interest to the character. Maybe if it was successful we would finally see Conker's Other Bad Fur Day. But it was canceled, and instead we got Bubsy the Squirrel.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I managed to pre order the First Print Edition of Star Fox Zero on Amazon Germany.

Misshun Compree :foxmelee::falcomelee:

You know what else would've saved you a few 100 times in XenoX?
When the path to a Lv19 boss didn't include bypassing a few dozen proximity aggro enemies in their 30s if not higher that the game's "guide" function of the follow ball leads you right into.
X having lot's of high level enemies scattered around that could aggro you was an AWESOME idea. It really made Mira feel like a hostile environment and you constantly had to be alert or you would turn a corner and get killed.

I LOVE that idea.

But only in theory.

In practice, added with the fact that it takes a few decades for enemies to stop chasing you (if at all), it starts to get annoying REALLY quick. Those giant mechas that one-shot your entire party wandering around sylvalum still piss me off.

Ivander

Smash Legend
And who is naming these characters? Subzuki looks like a girl but isn't, Hinata is guy with a girl's name. I thought Azama was a old lady but apparently not. What is with the Hoshidian style?
.......How?.......How do you even mistake him to be one?
Subaki is literally a gender bent Cordelia from Awakening
I don't think it is fair to say Subaki is literally a genderbent Cordelia. Cordelia's experiences with her Pegasus comrades at least help her to take advice when needed(like in her Libra support) and helped her to humble herself. Subaki is boastful, prideful, one heck of a narcissist and becomes timid and timorous at any time he feels himself become "imperfect". I mean, he goes nuts over the fact that his tummy growled.
That being said, his Sakura supports gives him his motivation for his strive to be perfect and his Selena supports give him a great moment of humbleness. And those 2 are some of his best supports IMO.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To add to Nintendo's troubles

It seems like Sony is making a new Playstation. Playstation 4.5

Too bad NX is only going to be as powerful as XBOX ONE

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't think there's a single video game out there that isn't wasted potential. Every video game does something stupid and several other things mediocre somewhere along the lines, and every game has a haterbase that would be much smaller if it fixed it's problems.

I'd say the games with the biggest wasted potential in my eyes are the ones I love most, because it's easiest for me to see the flaws in them and all the people who are disappointed in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom