• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Do you guys think the next Smash will have customization?
I think that if it's a port, yes, probably, but if it's new, no.

My reasons:

1. They are super unpopular.

2. DLC characters don't have Custom Moves, that means they take a considerable amount of time to make or maybe that the development team realized the problems of the Custom Moves and didn't even bother to make more.

3. Custom Moves look terrible, they are just a explosive, slow, big, or wind version of the move.

4. Most of them are unbalanced (OP or terrible) and customs in general affect characters's balance too.
That means Special Attacks that are useless will always be useless.
Examples:
-Do you want Falcon Punch to have more range or power?, nope, a custom has more range and that means the normal one will not be fixed because that would give more range to the custom version too and it would become unbalanced, and the custom version is not even good because it lacks power, same with the custom that has more power, but lacks speed.
-Phantom Slash will never break shields because Phantom Breaker does that, but it has a set distance so it's not good.
-Palutena's and Miis's normal movesets are crap.

5. You can't use them online with random people.

6. They are extremely hard to unlock.

7. Equipment has the same problems, but is much worse.

Opinions?

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero

My reasons:

2. DLC characters don't have Custom Moves, that means they take a considerable amount of time to make or maybe that the development team realized the problems of the Custom Moves and didn't even bother to make more.

3. Custom Moves look terrible, they are just a explosive, slow, big, or wind version of the move.

4. Most of them are unbalanced (OP or terrible) and customs in general affect characters's balance too.
Examples:
-Do you want Falcon Punch to have more range or power?, nope, a custom has more range and that means the normal one will not be fixed because that would give more range to the custom version too and it would become unbalanced, and the custom version is not even good because it lacks power, same with the custom that has more power, but lacks speed.
-Phantom Slash will never break shields because Phantom Breaker does that, but it has a set distance so it's not good.

Opinions?
I'm really not sure what they'll do with them. I could see it going either way, and if customization does stay, there's a good chance most of the problems won't be fixed.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Ryu amiibo has a literally perfect face sculpt. Surprising as they usually never reach true perfection with characters like him.

IMAG0326.jpg

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
On the topic of HWL DLC again, what I like about how DLC is being handled in that game is that they let people know when these things are coming and give an indication of what to expect (i.e. they list a certain pack for a certain season and then they list a character from a certain game). Compare that to Smash DLC where we have absolutely no idea what's happening for like 3-5 months. That's not even taking in to consideration the fact that HW outlived Smash Wii U when it comes to extra content.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
On the topic of HWL DLC again, what I like about how DLC is being handled in that game is that they let people know when these things are coming and give an indication of what to expect (i.e. they list a certain pack for a certain season and then they list a character from a certain game). Compare that to Smash DLC where we have absolutely no idea what's happening for like 3-5 months. That's not even taking in to consideration the fact that HW outlived Smash Wii U when it comes to extra content.
Hyrule Warriors is only outliving Smash for DLC because of the 3DS game basically being a port of the Wii U game to begin with. They made the new content for the 3DS game specifically, but because they could easily port it to Wii U with basically no major effort, they did that anyway.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's play a game guys:

A new Mario Kart game has been announced, and they are allowing non-mario characters as DLC.

Now you have to choose 10 non-mario characters (and you can choose anyone from Smash and even Super Mario Maker, so if you want to choose the Majohng piece or that one anime girl, be my guess) as drivers for this new installment.
Late reply, I know but I don't care...

1. Inkling (boy and girl)
2. Villager (boy and girl)
3. Pikmin (red, blue, and yellow)
4. Captain Falcon
5. Link
6. Samus
7. Fox
8. R.O.B.
9. Duck Hunt
10. Ice Climber (Popo and Nana)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hyrule Warriors is only outliving Smash for DLC because of the 3DS game basically being a port of the Wii U game to begin with. They made the new content for the 3DS game specifically, but because they could easily port it to Wii U with basically no major effort, they did that anyway.
But then all this extra content for pretty much all of 2016. That's a whole lot more than Smash had to offer. Let me put this in perspective...

Hyrule Warriors = Smash Wii U/3DS Before DLC
Hyrule Warriors DLC = Smash Wii U/3DS DLC
Hyrule Warriors Legends = Smash NX Port? (Granted this is even a thing that goes beyond a simple Wii U port)
Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC/Hyrule Warriors DLC = Smash NX Port with added DLC

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

My reasons:

Examples:

Opinions?
Development time is a legitimate issue unfortunately, which results in 2, 3, and 4.

Seeing as I don't think customs are UNIVERSALLY hated, 1. is something that a whole lot of people are going to go back on if it's cut, ala SSE.

5. is simply a matter of modifying what can be enabled on randoms, and 6. is something that simply requires modifying how obtaining them works (I.E. not allowing you to obtain repeats).

The sole issue here is "will the developers have a better idea for what to put their time into?"

Because if they cut this and then don't, then the reaction to it leaving is going to be even more of a trainwreck than the reaction to it being there.

D

Deleted member

I finally started watching Jojo Part 3
Joseph is still best Jojo
I just hope that he still uses Hamon for fighting
Jotaro is a **** though

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I finally started watching Jojo Part 3
Joseph is still best Jojo
I just hope that he still uses Hamon for fighting
Jotaro is a **** though
He will, but he won't fight that much (like 2-3 times).

You will learn to appreciate him with time. He is not that bad you'll see.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
It's not really fair to compare Smash DLC to hyrule warriors DLC. hyrule warriors had only 16 characters from the start before DLC compare to smash 48(51 if you count the Miis) and even after the big roster they made more DLC across two platforms at the same time. The roster is big enough you don't need anymore characters let them save some for the next smash game.

D

Deleted member

I now realize that calling Jotaro a **** is an understatement
How the **** does he have a harem of girls?
And he just stood there as the nurse stabbed the guy's eye

Ivander

Smash Legend
Cordelia is just as bad imo
She is literally perfect and her only flaw is that... she can't see that
But this never plays on her character so she's constantly doing everything perfectly, others compliment her for it and she says "nuh-uh, I'm not special" which gets annoying pretty quickly
I'm pretty sure she does see it, but by her supports, she seems to compare "perfect" to "being good without hard work and training." I mean, her Frederick support even mentions that some people see her skills as luck rather than hard work and those people neglect her and her effort because she's "perfect":
Frederick:
I was hoping you'd show the new recruits how well you handle a spear.
Cordelia:
...I suppose I could. But what would be the point? A common soldier is never going to be capable of wielding a spear the way I do.
Frederick:
No. But at the very least, I want them to experience your legendary skills firsthand. Then they'll understand that your skills are born of effort, and not a matter of luck.
Cordelia:
...Luck? But why would they think that in the first place?
Frederick:
Well, you see... Er, how shall I put it? For mere military mortals such as our new recruits and myself... Well, your martial genius places you on an entirely different plane. So far above us, in fact, that it's difficult to understand how skilled you really are.
Cordelia:
Laying it on a bit thick, aren't you?
Frederick:
I'm quite sincere. It must be very difficult having talent of your sort. It must be frustrating to be so constantly misunderstood and under-appreciated. For our army's morale, I think it's important that our new recruits understand this.
Cordelia:
Frederick:
I know it's an onerous request. You have every right to refuse.
Cordelia:
Oh, no. I'll do it. In fact, I'm delighted you asked...
Frederick:
You are?
Cordelia:
I've always felt...apart from the rest of society. Like I'm in a different world. And when I'd complain about this or that, no one would take me seriously. People would say, "Oh, you're a genius. What do you have to complain about?" You're the first that... Well, it's not easy being me.
Basically, she knows she's very good at doing stuff, but she wants her hard work to be acknowledged rather than being acknowledged as a 'genius' who can do no wrong.
And Subaki falling off his pegasus when he first met Sakura so he has to be perfect is a dumb excuse
That only really gave him more motive. I was mainly talking about these quotes.
Subaki: "Please understand. I've been destined for the castle guard since my youth. That's why my parents set the bar so high. I had to be perfect at all times. Otherwise, I would embarrass myself in front of royalty. No mistakes allowed!"
Subaki: "I was born into a family that served the Hoshidan crown for generations. My parents raised me to be a paragon of strength and skill."
Subaki: "I thought the only way to make others happy was to perform perfectly..."
I'm pretty sure there was one more quote that talked about his family being "generations of perfect warriors" and such, but I can't remember where that was mentioned if it was.
That being said, I'm not trying to change your opinions on what you think of them. I'm just saying that it's not really fair say that Subaki is literally a genderbent version of Cordelia, when both do have some noticeable differences. Like I said, Subaki is prideful and boastful, one heck of a narcissist and goes timid anytime he feels "imperfect." Cordelia is alot more humble, does listen to advice, with her issues being her crush for Chrom and her harsh school days. Can't really say the same for her granddaughter, considering her granddaughter did not go through what she went through.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm sorry, but everyone knows that Cordelia's granddaughter is called Ophelia
I thought it was Forrest? Or was it Velouria?

I wonder why that doesn't have it's own comic yet. I mean, it's funny enough you can get 20 of each character on the field with the use of Einherjar and Copycat Puppet. I'm just surprised there's no comic of a whole bunch of Selenas talking about their different fathers, husbands and children with it ending with the rest of them seeing one Selena's child and husband being Caeldori and Tsubaki.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wow, you have a really ****taste for shippings
Bet you think that Shigure and Olivia aren't related
Well, last time I checked, the best shippings are not allowed. I can't find Scarlet anywhere on Ryoma's supports or Flora on Jakob's supports or F!Corrin anywhere on M!Corrin's supports.
I doubt Soleil is

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Not gonna lie but I'd probably get Mario Kart if Samus were added, since Link is already available as well...

That'd be another game that features my two favourite video game characters if it happened (it won't)...

Probably even more incentive if Captain Falcon were added since he fits so well...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But then all this extra content for pretty much all of 2016. That's a whole lot more than Smash had to offer. Let me put this in perspective...

Hyrule Warriors = Smash Wii U/3DS Before DLC
Hyrule Warriors DLC = Smash Wii U/3DS DLC
Hyrule Warriors Legends = Smash NX Port? (Granted this is even a thing that goes beyond a simple Wii U port)
Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC/Hyrule Warriors DLC = Smash NX Port with added DLC
Once again, the DLC for Hyrule Warriors Wii U is only happening in 2016 because it's all being made for the 3DS port anyway. It's not much extra effort for them to make it.

Smash DLC is made fresh on it's own, with two versions already out and completed.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've decided to continue to teach myself C++

I started years ago but stopped because I started taking school and they teach a different computer language

But I ended up deciding to take media design instead (Brilliant decision...)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smh selfcest :/
Well, I'd certainly like one more Gen 1 option that allows me to marry another Gen 1 lady without losing children.

Everyone knows she's the onpy bad singer in a family full of great ones
And a missing grandfather
We will never know if he even existed
And thus, we have confirmed that the grandfather is no one, but Donnel. As his support with Olivia is singing a ballad with her.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'd certainly like one more Gen 1 option that allows me to marry another Gen 1 lady without losing children.

And thus, we have confirmed that the grandfather is no one, but Donnel. As his support with Olivia is singing a ballad with her.
Her grandfather is clearly Kellam though
His singing is great, it's just that you never listened to it

Ivander

Smash Legend
Her grandfather is clearly Kellam though
His singing is great, it's just that you never listened to it
He was a genius more so than Cordelia. We just never saw enough of him to see it.
That being said, I just remembered that Donnel actually sings more than once. He also sings in his support with Cordelia.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I rather Nintendo make Super Smash Kart than add more Nintendo characters in Mario Kart.

Just go all out like Sonic Racing Transformed

Especially with this roster
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4villager::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4samus::4falcon::4fox::4falco::4marth::4olimar::4pit::4ness::4wiifit::4pikachu::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4rob::4gaw:&:4shulk:
I want Smash to expand the horizon as a franchise and make different styles of gameplay and they don't even have to get Sakurai to direct those games

D

Deleted member

Generic Villain #1(wow, that's actually a first for Jojo) has a tongue fetish
Polnareff is probably the best new character
Jotaro is still a ****, he didn't need to kill that shark
And did he really just find out about that girl by touching her boobs? Is Avdol, like, the only main character who is not a pervert?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Now I'm starting to see people insist that new Smash DLC may still be coming based solely on the patch update coming out of nowhere when Sakurai 'said' patches were done. Because LOL Sakurai is always trolling except when he literally never does

amirite fellas?????

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I rather Nintendo make Super Smash Kart than add more Nintendo characters in Mario Kart.

Just go all out like Sonic Racing Transformed

I want Smash to expand the horizon as a franchise and make different styles of gameplay and they don't even have to get Sakurai to direct those games
Why is there only one Pokémon character in this roster when the franchise is one of biggest series Nintendo owns and has plenty of characters to use? I can't find any justification for that.

Now I'm starting to see people insist that new Smash DLC may still be coming based solely on the patch update coming out of nowhere when Sakurai 'said' patches were done. Because LOL Sakurai is always trolling except when he literally never does

amirite fellas?????
Where are people getting the idea that the February patch was the last one?

:094:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
At 4:30 EST, a Sonic panel at SXSWGaming will be starting. Not expecting any game announcements, but for Sonic fans it will a good time. The panel has Aaron Webber, Roger Craig Smith, Mike Pollock, Takashi Iizuka, and Yuji Naka.
https://www.twitch.tv/sxswgaming
Aaron Webber (Sonic Social Media guy AKA The Meme Lord) claimed that something big is being announced here. It's apparently not a game, but big nonetheless. Which makes sense considering the people in attendance.

Starts in 8 minutes so Sonic fans should tune in.

D

Deleted member

Generic Villain #1(wow, that's actually a first for Jojo) has a tongue fetish
Polnareff is probably the best new character
Jotaro is still a ****, he didn't need to kill that shark
And did he really just find out about that girl by touching her boobs? Is Avdol, like, the only main character who is not a pervert?
Oh boy, Stardust Crusaders has a lot of surprises for you. I don't wanna spoil it, but lemme tell ya, SA is where the "Bizarre" in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure really starts kicking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom