• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As far as Nintendo, Level-5 and Gamefreak are concerned, Pokemon and Yokai Watch are doing their own thing so the two series don't even bother to "compete" with each other, their perfectly fine with coexisting with each other and as sonicbrawler182 said, both have completely different goals in mind and aim for different audiences.

It's more or less just the fans who treat Yokai Watch like its Pokemon's Sonic the Hedgehog (or Crash Bandicoot) when its more like their Rayman. If that analogy works....
Right.

In Japan, kids will recognize the concept as different enough.

In the states, it's still kids collecting monsters.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Right.

In Japan, kids will recognize the concept as different enough.

In the states, it's still kids collecting monsters.
AND THAT'S WHY THE "Americans are short-sighted and simple-minded" STEREOTYPE EXISTS.

*ba-dum-TISH*

:troll:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
AND THAT'S WHY THE "Americans are short-sighted and simple-minded" STEREOTYPE EXISTS.

*ba-dum-TISH*

:troll:
No kidding.

Only yesterday did I find out there's even a "Americans can't do subtlety" stereotype, which upon close inspection, may be true.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can already tell you don't like em LIQUID based on your gaming tastes. :p

In terms of appeals that YO-KAI WATCH is trying to achieve, it generally doesn't try to have the epic cool creatures that Pokemon achieves. It's generally in a weird, strange direction for Yo-kai designs, but there are reasons.

The Yo-kai themselves are spirits that cause every day life problems by inspiriting them. There's one Yo-kai that makes you forget things, one that saps out the Wi-Fi signals, one that causes nose bleeds, to one that makes you hold up an unexpected fart, etc.
The main protagonist (Nathan Adams) is just an average kid who goes through a lot of these situations and uses his own Yo-kai to stop the other Yo-kai causing the annoyances. It's a strange concept, but it does appeal to everyone, whether you are young or older.

And some of them are very relatable situations even for this generation, and it's relatability is one of the main reasons why YO-KAI WATCH is such a extremely successful product in Japan. It's such a unique way to handle a monster collecting genre, and it's why
I really like the franchise as a whole.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's a very Japanese/foreign concept.

In Christianity, there's no spirits that cause everything (this is technically not true, but I won't go there now) , but in Shintoism/other religions, there are a myriad of metaphysical beings that have some sort of function to cause something.

It doesn't really matter if both parties are secular, because a culture still retains some assumptions from a religion regardless of whether they do or do not practice said religion.

So it'll make sense why the concept of Yo-Kai Watch is very niche compared to the competitive nature of Pokémon.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
The only issue I have with the fanbase is acting like it's actually succeeding in markets that aren't Japan. You can't look at those VGchartz and say that.

D

Deleted member

The problem with YW is that, at face value, it's just another Pokemon clone
It doesn't matter what it really is, people are going to see it as just that
****ing Digimon still gets that ****
And even if you get past that, the gameplay isn't for everyone, unique mechanics like the ones YW has are hit or miss in RPGs
And let's not forget who the target audience is: Kids.
Kids who already play Pokemon and them we go full circle

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
People outside of Japan (especially people in NA) are trained to resist any sort of PKMN-like game by nature. It's almost ingrained in their heads.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
YW is mostly based on the fact that while its popular there in Japan, it's just another game in the bin here in the west because Pokemon is such a Mage giant.

Oh, they can release all their games here, they want but Pokemon will still dominate USA, Canada, Mexico, And Europe for YEARS to come.

Franchises that have the similar Buddy-Mon style learns to go for a different audience for either the right reasons (Digimon, YGO and others) or all the wrong reasons (Medabots).

YW audience is kids and the kids don't go out of their comfort zone and design wise, they don't appeal to the 9-12 year old demographic who wants monsters to look like :4charizard::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::034::009::068::059::160::228::212: and others.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well, that's why I want everyone here to at least try watching the anime or play the game to understand the craze behind YW. I want the franchise to rise in popularity, and it is accomplishing that the most with the anime. Some YW fans are staying optimistic and saying those "successful" claims because they want the franchise to succeed.

Whether you like it or not is up to you, but I really like it for what it is, and I still get a huge enjoyment out of the games and anime despite the target audience being aimed for kids.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not really doing anything significant for St. Patrick's Day today (I got up a bit late since I was dragged to a party last night), and I don't have any significant art inspiration for St. Patrick's Day art, so I just made this quick edit to my Rosalina drawing. It's an idea I came up with last year for an amiibo custom. I've been wanting the teased Super Mario Rosalina amiibo to come out as I think the pose would be more fitting than the Smash one for this custom.

I call it the "Ms. Saint Patrick" outfit.

When I said they should gut ZSS and give those buffs to Samus I didn't think they would ACTUALLY do it. :D

Even if ZSS is probably still better

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It really is too bad about YW, because they really did try their best to market it unlike many other japanese games coming to the states. The Toys R Us I work at still has an entire section of toys dedictated to it, and the demo stand for 3DS is still YW, amongst other things like the commercials and such. I've never had any interest in it myself, but I can admire that it's a Japanese game that honest to god tried to push itself outside of japan. Shame it didn't work too well.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

I wasn't aware this was part of the Sheik nerfs.

At least the hitbox doesn't go way past the animation now.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, that's why I want everyone here to at least try watching the anime or play the game to understand the craze behind YW. I want the franchise to rise in popularity, and it is accomplishing that the most with the anime. Some YW fans are staying optimistic and saying those "successful" claims because they want the franchise to succeed.

Whether you like it or not is up to you, but I really like it for what it is, and I still get a huge enjoyment out of the games and anime despite the target audience being aimed for kids.
Some of the greatest books/shows/movies created were aimed at children.

Case in point: Pixar

What started as a few young upstarts has evolved into the paragon of animated entertainment.

Another example: The Hobbit

While aimed a children, I hold that it's one of the greatest books written in the English language.

When I said they should gut ZSS and give those buffs to Samus I didn't think they would ACTUALLY do it. :D

Even if ZSS is probably still better
Finally wearing power suit and being an Amazon space warrior is almost as strong as just being said space warrior.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It really is too bad about YW, because they really did try their best to market it unlike many other japanese games coming to the states. The Toys R Us I work at still has an entire section of toys dedictated to it, and the demo stand for 3DS is still YW, amongst other things like the commercials and such. I've never had any interest in it myself, but I can admire that it's a Japanese game that honest to god tried to push itself outside of japan. Shame it didn't work too well.
Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. I do think some of it does have to with this being a game made for Japan by Japan. Everything from the pop culture to the mythological references point to that.

It'd be no different than a very American game not doing well outside of America.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Some of the greatest books/shows/movies created were aimed at children.

Case in point: Pixar

What started as a few young upstarts has evolved into the paragon of animated entertainment.

Another example: The Hobbit

While aimed a children, I hold that it's one of the greatest books written in the English language.

Finally wearing power suit and being an Amazon space warrior is almost as strong as just being said space warrior.
Minus the amazon part now, though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

There isn't really anything wrong with one of your main audience's being children. Heck most of Nintendo's own franchises are developed with children in mind. This of course, also includes Pokemon as every new generation of games always try to bring in new generations of fans into the series. I'm fairly sure most of the people who are huge fans of the Pokemon franchise got into it when they where kids or teenagers themselves.

However, having one of your main audience be children doesn't necessarily mean you can't include elements that an older audience can enjoy too. These can vary from exploring certain themes as well as including challenges that can test more experienced players etc. This makes them fun and enjoyable for everyone.

I've heard Yokai Watch does explore various themes in regards to every day life as well as various real life issues etc. I don't know as I haven't played the game yet (for obvious reasons) but if that's the case, then I guess the game does also have various elements that even an older audience can relate to and enjoy. Perhaps not in the gameplay perspective, but from a story perspective. Which I shouldn't expect any less from Level-5 as they covered similar things with the Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven series too.

That's my take on it though.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I consider its Japanese culture to be the icing on the cake. It's not what the YW team are mainly marketing after all.

Comparing YW to something that looks far more Japanese like Senran Segura, and you realize it's not as Japanese as people might think:
Busty anime girls are more Japanese than Japanese mythology and folktales?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Busty anime girls are more Japanese than Japanese mythology and folktales?
She's talking about the art style.

Yokai-Watch has an art style that has more Western influence than something like Senran Kagura (which is a purely generic "anime").

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
She's talking about the art style.

Yokai-Watch has an art style that has more Western influence than something like Senran Kagura (which is a purely generic "anime").
If that's the case then the argument falls apart because that series I can't spell sold much better. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If that's the case then the argument falls apart because that series I can't spell sold much better. :p
I don't see how his(?) argument falls apart.

He was just stating that Yokai-Watch has a less Japanese art style than something like Senran Kagura. Nothing about comparing their sales.

I don't get the YW and Senran Kagura comparison
Besides being japanese, they have literally nothing in common

Also

This will never get old
IDK, I saw "Chan" in the name which is usually used towards girls more so than boys.

That's the internet for ya I guess. Everyone who says they're a girl, is probably a trap. :troll:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well, the art style allows YW to be universally appealing to all ages.

Its Japanese origins is far less important to the general consumer really.

I don't think it would be the first thing the consumer would care about before considering to buy Yo-kai Watch.

The way they market YW now really makes it look like as if the franchise was born in America, especially with the merchandise.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, that's why I want everyone here to at least try watching the anime or play the game to understand the craze behind YW.
First of all, the demo should give a good impression, second, I tried the anime, cringe incarnate imo. And thirdly, I can say the same about KR and only one person here watched about 2 episodes iirc. My gripe with the yokai is how they did recolours and about 20 or so Jibanyan
The only issue I have with the fanbase is acting like it's actually succeeding in markets that aren't Japan. You can't look at those VGchartz and say that.
I remember a tumblr dedicated to calling YW the new Pokemon lol
The problem with YW is that, at face value, it's just another Pokemon clone
It doesn't matter what it really is, people are going to see it as just that
****ing Digimon still gets that ****
And even if you get past that, the gameplay isn't for everyone, unique mechanics like the ones YW has are hit or miss in RPGs
And let's not forget who the target audience is: Kids.
Kids who already play Pokemon and them we go full circle
Didn't Masuda say they also want to appeal to old fans?
The sales for November and December according to the NPD was nearly 200,000 copies. And I think it has sold more in the previous 3 months.

It's not doing too bad. TBH

The marketing team is already expanding the franchise to many territories to get as many people as possible to get into YW.

In recent news, it's going to have a mobile game on the app store and the anime is coming to Netflix on April, at worst, I think YW will do decently well, contrast to the massive pessimism here.
200000 is pretty low for American game standards

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That was in 1.1.4

It wasn't the range is was the insane frame data
Nah the range was part of it.

Frame data won't matter when opponents can see you approaching and bop you with a move before you can even get within range.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
2 things.
1: DigiHom is sueing Jim Sterling for 10 million dollars, and apparently they got feces in the mail, thought I can 100% say that's not Jim's. Jim can counter sue them, right? No ****ing way he'd lose
2. BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 you didn't correct sonicbrawler when he called you a she. Something you'd like to tell us? I know for a fact you had a male gender tag on your account when it was still Bluepikmin

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nah the range was part of it.

Frame data won't matter when opponents can see you approaching and bop you with a move before you can even get within range.
Yeah but the GIF was from 1.1.4

I've seen this GIF multiple times

D

Deleted member

The Fates GameFaqs boards aren't that bad, there might be some hate every now and then but for the most part it's a nice pla--
Screenshot_2016-03-17-14-36-26-1.png

****ing hell, not again, Tumblr ruined another somewhat-good site with its headcanons
IDK, I saw "Chan" in the name which is usually used towards girls more so than boys.
That's the internet for ya I guess. Everyone who says they're a girl, is probably a trap. :troll:
I just find it funny that people keep thinking Blue is a girl after all this time
Didn't Masuda say they also want to appeal to old fans?
What?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The Fates GameFaqs boards aren't that bad, there might be some hate every now and then but for the most part it's a nice pla--
View attachment 100472
****ing hell, not again, Tumblr ruined another somewhat-good site

I just find it funny that people keep thinking Blue is a girl after all this time

What?
Doesn't Forrest hate being called a girl?
I remember someone using a quote of Junichi Masuda out of context. "We weren't necessarily targeting children"

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen

Honestly, from the tone of the message, I think the reason you don't really like YO-KAI WATCH was because you set your expectations too high, expecting it to be something better than Pokemon.

I say try watching and playing it again and give it another go.

The anime gets progressively better the more episodes you watch.

And the demo (while it doesn't represent the full game well) is a game you gotta get used to the battle system to enjoy the experience. I don't like the demo either, but the full game has more options and the better experience, something you might consider. Just helping you if you really want to get into or understand YO-KAI WATCH.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Doesn't Forrest hate being called a girl?
I remember someone using a quote of Junichi Masuda out of context. "We weren't necessarily targeting children"
Do you think they care?

I was talking about YW, not Pokemon though

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Do you think they care?

I was talking about YW, not Pokemon though
Nope, but I don't remember much about your ****ty husbando
My bad
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen

Honestly, from the tone of the message, I think the reason you don't really like YO-KAI WATCH was because you set your expectations too high, expecting it to be something better than Pokemon.

I say try watching and playing it again and give it another go.

The anime gets progressively better the more episodes you watch.

And the demo (while it doesn't represent the full game well) is a game you gotta get used to the battle system to enjoy the experience. I don't like the demo either, but the full game has more options and the better experience, something you might consider. Just helping you if you really want to get into or understand YO-KAI WATCH.
Nah, I didn't expect much to begin with, as I already knew nothing would surpass my love for Pokemon

D

Deleted member

****ty husbando
WHAT THE **** DID YOU JUST SAY ABOUT HIM
IT'S ****ING ON
But yes, he hates being called a girl
At least in the Japanese version but considering they changed his Soleil supports, I dunno if it's still in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom