• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Now here
Is the true question

Smash 5

Do you think we'll have Yuri Lowenthall and an English voice for Marth, given that he's reprised the role from Codename in Fates?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
tbh I'm not happy with the FE characters in S.T.E.A.M for one reason. The only way you can get them is a 16 euro paywall. **** that
That was part of the issue. This and the fact that the FE amiibo were and are hard to come by. And S.T.E.A.M had a decent push but splatoon and it's push/hype overshadowed it, causing it to sell badly, and the reviews made people hesitant to buy it as well.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm going to get a lot more hate for this than I'm comfortable with, but this is bothering me.

Why is the zodiac a hard set thing?

First off, the series was almost going to be ended after Generation 2. Why would they plan for a 12 starter cycle when they thought they would only have two starters?

Second, why was Snivy added when it encroaches on zodiac territory? Pokémon does tend to reuse ideas to the detriment of all brain cells within range, but starters are the face of their marketing campaign. Why were they specifically planning on using the same animal twice with their starters?

Third, why would they shovel all of the ungulates to the latter half of the cycle? If they follow zodiac, that means we're either going to get an ungulate every other generation or we're going to be getting ungulates in adjacent generations.

Fourth, why would they be so predictable? They made B2W2 because they were getting too predictable (and mandated out of it, but still), and then they just jumped right to Gen 7 when that didn't work. Granted, third titles being predictable is something that actually noticeably effects sales while a small pool of starter ideas might not, but the zodiac is essentially 20 years worth of constant and ever increasing predictability.

Fifth, someone mentioned an official interview on the zodiac thing. Can someone find that? Because I'll resign myself to my fate if someone can find it and it's not super vague or something like that, but I need to see the interview first.

Last edited:
I'm going to get a lot more hate for this than I'm comfortable with, but this is bothering me.

First off, the series was almost going to be ended after Generation 2. Why would they plan for a 12 starter cycle when they thought they would only have two starters?

Second, why was Snivy added when it encroaches on zodiac territory? Pokémon does tend to reuse ideas to the detriment of all brain cells within range, but starters are the face of their marketing campaign. Why were they specifically planning on using the same animal twice with their starters?

Third, why would they shovel all of the ungulates to the latter half of the cycle? If they follow zodiac, that means we're either going to get an ungulate every other generation or we're going to be getting ungulates in adjacent generations.

Fourth, why would they be so predictable? They made B2W2 because they were getting too predictable (and mandated out of it, but still), and then they just jumped right to Gen 7 when that didn't work. Granted, third titles being predictable is something that actually noticeably effects sales while a small pool of starter ideas might not, but the zodiac is essentially 20 years worth of constant and ever increasing predictability.

Fifth, someone mentioned an official interview on the zodiac thing. Can someone find that? Because I'll resign myself to my fate if someone can find it and it's not super vague or something like that, but I need to see the interview first.
TLDR

Patterns exist until they don't

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Wait, which other starter was a snake? O.O
None yet, but one of the remaining six zodiac animals is the snake.

The zodiac theory was hard set in the fandom by Gen 5, so that means Game Freak would have had to have made Snivy while full well knowing they would need to make a Fire type snake starter later if it's true.

Also :4greninja:'d, but I already started typing this up.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just voted for Ben Sanders today. Never knew that making the right choice is so good.

Too bad he's more underrated compared to the two flukes who are in the lead.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Because people strive for patterns whever possible and this is a theme that seems very much so intentional so why not keep to it until proven wrong?
If we were to get a Donkey Kong Country 4 on the N64, people would've expected it to have "104%" for example.
And... across a hypothetical 12 generations, 36 starter lines, I don't see the problem with a vague species being used twice.

and
are CERTAINLY different enough that I'd have faith in a fire snake. Just like how Infernape kept different enough from Primeape or Aipom.

And I don't think people would really mind getting a tropical dart frog or something as a future Grass starter in spite of Froakie existing.

Edit: Even better "same species, far different execution" example.

While these aren't "two starters" in the same kind of pool, it's a point that a single theme can be done differently enough. Snivy wasn't just "Grass Charmander" as some initially saw.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
We've had two turtle/tortoise starters...so why is a second snake starter a problem?

Could be an opportunity for a real cool looking fire serpent tbh...possibly with Dragon typing added as well...

D

Deleted member

Benny and Beruka's S Support is so cute
Benny as a whole is cute though
And Ignatius too
I know his supports with Forrest are great so I'll work on those
His Paralogue was almost impossible because ****ing Ninjas were killing him

And I sure love this online multiplayer
5 Battle Seals? +7 weapons? 31 staves uses? Songstress Robin and Felicia? Illegal skills? I could just go on...

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Dev Blog #2 for Super Smash Flash 2 has been released. It covers improved visual effects.

Something tells me we won't see major reveals until the (near) end of the dev blog run.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Benny and Beruka's S Support is so cute
Benny as a whole is cute though
And Ignatius too
I know his supports with Forrest are great so I'll work on those
His Paralogue was almost impossible because ****ing Ninjas were killing him

And I sure love this online multiplayer
5 Battle Seals? +7 weapons? 31 staves uses? Songstress Robin and Felicia? Illegal skills? I could just go on...
I honestly paired Benny with Peri because he seems like the only kind of guy who could stay sane while dealing with her kind of Crazy.
Kaze with Beruka was charming though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Er...FE amiibo are rather easy to find these days outside of Ike
Ironic, as I only own Ike. I've never seen a single FE amiibo in my stores sadly. Ike was ordered from amazon, by my brother for my Birthday this year.

I only use amazon my self though, when I have a gift card.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yuri Lowenthal wasn't even good as Marth in STEAM.

He was really underwhelming and just sound bored. He's a bad choice for Marth's English voice. I rather Nintendo try to find someone to voice him better. I would have thought Cam Clarke (who plays :4corrin:) would have been perfect. Now Marth in Fates was fine but nothing special.

Now for an English voice for :4feroy: is easily Johnny Young Bosch or the guy who played Vyse in Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yuri Lowenthal wasn't even good as Marth in STEAM.

He was really underwhelming and just sound bored. He's a bad choice for Marth's English voice. I rather Nintendo try to find someone to voice him better. I would have thought Cam Clarke (who plays :4corrin:) would have been perfect. Now Marth in Fates was fine but nothing special.

Now for an English voice for :4feroy: is easily Johnny Young Bosch or the guy who played Vyse in Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed
Marth in Fates is also Yuri.
And part of that, imo, is adjusting himself to better get into the role.
"Fine but nothing special," is also the best description for Marth as a whole in regards to the series.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ugh, fine. I lose.

It just really, really bothers me to know we're definitely going to have a cow starter. You could say it makes me have a cow just thinking about it.

It also really bothers me that Nintendo is going to go the cheap cop-out route with the next Smash and likely not even making a title for the NX.

You know what? The preemptive future of gaming just makes me upset in general. I can't agree with a single decision that Nintendo hasn't officially said they've made yet but are confirmed to have made.

D

Deleted member

"Fine but nothing special," is also the best description for Marth as a whole in regards to the series.
At least Marth is fine
Some of them can't even say that
:4feroy:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yeah but Marth is a pretty boy nice guy, which Yuri sort of furs but I'm sick and tired of his limited range of voices. I just don't want Smash to become Atlus USA voice cast considering we already have Laura Bailey :4lucina:. I got sick of it in Persona Q and I might get sick of it here.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I can't even understand what Cloud's voice actor is saying in Smash

D

Deleted member

It just really, really bothers me to know we're definitely going to have a cow starter. You could say it makes me have a cow just thinking about it.

It also really bothers me that Nintendo is going to go the cheap cop-out route with the next Smash and likely not even making a title for the NX.
Uhm, where did you get that from?

Last edited by a moderator:
It just really, really bothers me to know we're definitely going to have a cow starter.
You make it sound like cows are a bad thing D:

likely not even making a title for the NX.
I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion. That is usually my job.

While it is possible smash 4 port is the only smash game we get on NX. . .I wouldnt say it is likely or guaranteed. Smash is a big seller, and having a system that only has an improved port certainly won't look good for the console. A port would give a strong start. A full game gives a strong console lifetime.

I would personally be shocked if we didn't get a true new smash bros for the NX

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Uhm, where did you get that from?
There's a lot of emphasis on how Port NX and the zodiac Fire type starters are an inevitability in this thread.

I tend to view things in an amplified version of my opinion, and what with my hormones jumping around like a trampoline over the past couple of days I can feel my sanity crumbling even faster than usual.

You make it sound like cows are a bad thing D:

I wouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion. That is usually my job.

While it is possible smash 4 port is the only smash game we get on NX. . .I wouldnt say it is likely or guaranteed. Smash is a big seller, and having a system that only has an improved port certainly won't look good for the console. A port would give a strong start. A full game gives a strong console lifetime.

I would personally be shocked if we didn't get a true new smash bros for the NX
That thing looks like it's staring into my soul. . .

And since speculation is all about sticking to patterns, Smash has always been about being a once-per-console game. From comments Sakurai has made, it's pretty much part of it's mission statement.

Since realistic speculation is all about finding the most disappointing outcome and sticking with it, we thus just get a straight port and nothing else.

*EDIT* At this point my self-censor has completely given way to how completely unnerved I am. I woke up in pain the past two days in a row because I'm so stressed out that acknowledging consciousness is enough to put me in involuntary agony. I'm coming off as incompetent and I can't even tell what's the result of my being too stressed to think and what's the result of my not going with what everyone else is.

Last edited:
I'm coming off as incompetent
Not at all!
This thread could use some deeper thinking anyway. :p

If you're feeling stressed don't worry about it. Take a break if you need it and don't feel guilty about anything. I can't comment on how you feel or how you act off smashboards as i'm not you but you've been just fine from what i''ve seen here. :chuckle:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
"Which one of us is the keeper of prophecies here, you or me?"
Izana is turning more and more into Kuzco with each story.

Edit: Oh... well... then...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a lot of emphasis on how Port NX and the zodiac Fire type starters are an inevitability in this thread.

I tend to view things in an amplified version of my opinion, and what with my hormones jumping around like a trampoline over the past couple of days I can feel my sanity crumbling even faster than usual.

That thing looks like it's staring into my soul. . .

And since speculation is all about sticking to patterns, Smash has always been about being a once-per-console game. From comments Sakurai has made, it's pretty much part of it's mission statement.

Since realistic speculation is all about finding the most disappointing outcome and sticking with it, we thus just get a straight port and nothing else.

*EDIT* At this point my self-censor has completely given way to how completely unnerved I am. I woke up in pain the past two days in a row because I'm so stressed out that acknowledging consciousness is enough to put me in involuntary agony. I'm coming off as incompetent and I can't even tell what's the result of my being too stressed to think and what's the result of my not going with what everyone else is.
I think you may need to rest a little then
Take a break from the site or something
"Which one of us is the keeper of prophecies here, you or me?"
Izana is turning more and more into Kuzco with each story.

Edit: Oh... well... then...
Izana is great, too bad he joins you too late and his recruitment method is probably the last thing you'd do in the game
In Revelations, another character takes his place as the only exclusive Revelations character
And his/her name is
Fuga

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm following what the others have said.
The Grass starter "pattern" is really ambiguous with Chespin throwing what we assumed out the window and the "water & land living" water starter thing may be the next.

But I am sticking to the Zodiac because it still sticks out as a theme.

fun though
I dunno, he could be a glyptodon

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think you may need to rest a little then
Take a break from the site or something

Izana is great, too bad he joins you too late and his recruitment method is probably the last thing you'd do in the game
In Revelations, another character takes his place as the only exclusive Revelations character
And his/her name is
Fuga
Yeah, that much I knew of.
His greater issue is being one of those units THAT CAN ONLY SUPPORT THE AVATAR

I mean... it's better that Fates only has 8, including Anna.
Because Awakening... all 6 Spotpass Paralogues, Anna, Tiki, Say'ri... the Khans... that's 11 entire characters who you're likely to never have a reason to use.

Edit:
I dunno, he could be a glyptodon
I was referring to how the pattern WAS "reptiles" for grass starters before Chespin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, that much I knew of.
His greater issue is being one of those units THAT CAN ONLY SUPPORT THE AVATAR

I mean... it's better that Fates only has 8, including Anna.
Because Awakening... all 6 Spotpass Paralogues, Anna, Tiki, Say'ri... the Khans... that's 11 entire characters who you're likely to never have a reason to use.

Edit:
I was referring to how the pattern WAS "reptiles" for grass starters before Chespin.
Anna could at least support with Tiki, so you'd always have a supporting unit for them
Besides, you should only marry to Anna anyways
The Khans too, even though the only reason you'd ever use them is in case you don't have a good unit of their respective classes(which was me in every playthrough)
Tiki also had Lucina and Nah even though she has no S-Supports besides the Avatar, she's still on par with some GBA characters
Say'ri was the most offensive one imo
She joins you during the main story and is an important character during Valm's arc
But at this point in the game, you already have a much better Swordsman and most of your units already have S-Rank supports
Say'ri is probably the only character in any FE game I'd never use tbh

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Apparently Nintendo forgot to translate Wolf Link's costume information in the English version of Super Mario Maker

wow

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ugh, fine. I lose.

You know what? The preemptive future of gaming just makes me upset in general. I can't agree with a single decision that Nintendo hasn't officially said they've made yet but are confirmed to have made.
I don't know, a cow could be nice. These two are good examples:

Have start as a baby cow, then make it evolve into a fire and dark type like the above picture. Make a mix between a bull and cow in final form and it could work well.

I still want a rabbit first.

I'm also still about 85% sure that those leaked starters are real, but we shall see!

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Welp. I'm back after a little hiatus. I was pretty busy this week and didn't really have the chance to post in here that much as I wanted to due to school and my personal life.

So... uh... yeah! I should have time post now.

I guess the only thing new I've been doing (and partly why I'm busy) is installing CFW on my 3DS. It's such a tedious process to go through and I wanted to make sure I was doing everything near perfect in order to not brick my system. I currently have EMUNAND installed and the process is running rather smoothly. So I should (hopefully) be done with this process relatively soon.

Other than that, I'm glad to have my free time back I guess :p.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know, a cow could be nice. These two are good examples:

Have start as a baby cow, then make it evolve into a fire and dark type like the above picture. Make a mix between a bull and cow in final form and it could work well.

I still want a rabbit first.

I'm also still about 85% sure that those leaked starters are real, but we shall see!
That's a bull. A cow would be the one with utters

If you want the gender neutral term it's "Cattle"

Edit: Actually

• An "intact" (i.e., not castrated) adult male is called a bull. A wild, young, unmarked bull is known as a "micky" in Australia.[15] An unbranded bovine of either sex is called a "maverick" in the USA and Canada.
  • An adult female that has had a calf (or two, depending on regional usage) is a cow.
  • A young female before she has had a calf of her own[16] and is under three years of age is called a heifer (/ˈhɛfər/ hef-ər).[17] A young female that has had only one calf is occasionally called a first-calf heifer.
  • Young cattle of both sexes are called calves until they are weaned, then weaners until they are a year old in some areas; in other areas, particularly with male beef cattle, they may be known as feeder calves or simply feeders. After that, they are referred to as yearlings or stirks[18] if between one and two years of age.[19]
  • A castrated male is called a steer in the United States; older steers are often called bullocks in other parts of the world,[20] but in North America this term refers to a young bull. Piker bullocks are micky bulls (uncastrated young male bulls) that were caught, castrated and then later lost.[15] In Australia, the term "Japanese ox" is used for grain-fed steers in the weight range of 500 to 650 kg that are destined for the Japanese meat trade.[21] In North America, draft cattle under four years old are called working steers. Improper or late castration on a bull results in it becoming a coarse steer known as a stag in Australia, Canada and New Zealand.[22] In some countries, an incompletely castrated male is known also as a rig.
  • A castrated male (occasionally a female or in some areas a bull) kept for draft purposes is called an ox (plural oxen); "ox" may also be used to refer to some carcass products from any adult cattle, such as ox-hide, ox-blood, oxtail, or ox-liver.[17]
  • A springer is a cow or heifer close to calving.[23]
  • In all cattle species, a female twin of a bull usually becomes an infertile partial intersex, and is called a freemartin.
  • Neat (horned oxen, from which neatsfoot oil is derived), beef (young ox) and beefing (young animal fit for slaughtering) are obsolete terms, although poll, pollard or polled cattle are still terms in use for naturally hornless animals, or in some areas also for those that have been disbudded or dehorned.
  • Cattle raised for human consumption are called beef cattle. Within the American beef cattle industry, the older term beef (plural beeves) is still used to refer to an animal of either sex. Some Australian, Canadian, New Zealand and British people use the term beast, especially for single animals when the sex is unknown.[24]
  • Cattle bred specifically for milk production are called milking or dairy cattle;[14] a cow kept to provide milk for one family may be called a house cow or milker. A "fresh cow" is a dairy term for a cow or first-calf heifer who has recently given birth, or "freshened."
  • The adjective applying to cattle in general is usually bovine. The terms "bull", "cow" and "calf" are also used by extension to denote the sex or age of other large animals, including whales, hippopotamuses, camels, elk andelephants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom