• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was just told that calling a Jew, a Jew is offensive and has negative connotations...

How?

I wasn't being mean or anything... I was listing religious groups.

"Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc."

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
idk but Jew is used as an insult these days. Even in the Netherlands
But Jew isn't even a bad word.

It's like saying woman is used as an insult sometimes by bad people, so we shouldn't use it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But Jew isn't even a bad word.

It's like saying woman is used as an insult sometimes by bad people, so we shouldn't use it.
I know. it's just we as a species are being more ****ed up in the head. A kid drowned their dog because 'I should give doggy a drink!' recently iirc and some punk beat up a random guy in a train, but the judge said. 'The assualter is underage, so we're letting him freee of charge'

D

Deleted member

Here it is
Congrats to the winner and the video title is already what I want to say to the others

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
idk but Jew is used as an insult these days. Even in the Netherlands
Cancer is often used as an insult too in the Netherlands isn't it?

But yeah, some words tend to get used as insults over time, especially when they start getting more negative connotations over time.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently the teacher agreed...

Jewish people is what's correct.

I'm saddened and confused....

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cancer is often used as an insult too in the Netherlands isn't it?

But yeah, some words tend to get used as insults over time, especially when they start getting more negative connotations over time.
Yep. Hell, some customers at the shop I work at have no ****ing decency and go 'Look at that autistic ******!' to a colleague with Down syndrome. Another time, some cola company had an offer for a free drink, as they'd send you the money back. Some guy asked me about it, after I explained it, they said 'Good thing I'm not a dumb autistic person' And I immediately regret waking up that day

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's a strange cycle of descriptive words or groups of people becoming insults and previous insults being reclaimed. I lost track of whether it's supposed to be African-American or Black.

D

Deleted member

I was just told that calling a Jew, a Jew is offensive and has negative connotations...

How?

I wasn't being mean or anything... I was listing religious groups.

"Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc."

Am I missing something?
It's probably because they see it as "slang". Some people really take offense when you say jew instead of jewish.

Of course, I'm speaking from the opposing viewpoint of mine, I really don't care for "bad language" at all, I'm very indifferent. Despite being called all sorts of slang all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yep. Hell, some customers at the shop I work at have no ****ing decency and go 'Look at that autistic ******!' to a colleague with Down syndrome. Another time, some cola company had an offer for a free drink, as they'd send you the money back. Some guy asked me about it, after I explained it, they said 'Good thing I'm not a dumb autistic person' And I immediately regret waking up that day
Yeah I've heard it used quite a bit when I was there a few times.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
They are never right, but I always enjoy reading these so called 'leaks' for Directs because it's fun hearing new ideas and imagining hypothetical scenarios ect.
Why am I not surprised all of these characters are Zelda?
Someone hates Zelda? But Zelda is amazing! Hopefully this fanart changes some minds.
twilight_princess__midna_by_zellie669-d690knz (1).jpg
ghirahim_glow_by_midknight_hikari-d6sdpix.jpg

:troll:
#ExcuseForFanArtPost
Guys...

I had an appointment at the doctor's office today. I apparently have a psychic illness/disease (troubles in social, behavior, and a tendancy for agressivity). I apparently received it as a 2yrs old when I burned my hands severely, which has left the trauma within me.

They try to convince me that, to prevent those bad symptoms from weighing me down, I must live my WHOLE life under the effects of the same medicine that has fattened me for eight years and ruined my life with its numerous other side effects.

I feel like I am condemned.
If I were you I wouldn't take those pills. That doctor also seems strange..

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I went to bed at like 10 PM last night

Woke up a few times, but not for very long

It's 11:30 now. More than 12 hours later. And I'm still tired...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's probably because they see it as "slang". Some people really take offense when you say jew instead of jewish.

Of course, I'm speaking from the opposing viewpoint of mine, I really don't care for "bad language" at all, I'm very indifferent. Despite being called all sorts of slang all the time.
But... Jew isn't slang.

It's the root word of Jewish.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
With that Sonic movie announced, I wonder if Eggman will be CGI, played by a real actor or Start off CGI and become "real" later in the film like the baddie in the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I wouldn't say a "Christian person" I would say "a Christian"

I get there isn't negative connotation towards Christian the way the term "Jew" is but still . . .
To be fair, Christianity is only a religion. There's both the Jewish race and Judaism.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wouldn't say a "Christian person" I would say "a Christian"

I get there isn't negative connotation towards Christian the way the term "Jew" is but still . . .
The word Christian was actually used as an insult when the word was first introduced

But the Christian people took the word as a representation of their struggles

...It was in the days where being a Christian meant being fed to lions

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
People think I've changed in the time I've been here in this thread?

I don't really feel like I have at all. I've changed how much I post and I usually make more low effort, neutral posts now, but that's a conscious decision based on changing life circumstances. I simply don't have the time to post here as much anymore. I'm still the exact same person I was when I joined this thread, just I have way more responsibilities to deal with IRL now.

Apparently the teacher agreed...

Jewish people is what's correct.

I'm saddened and confused....
I think I do see where people are coming from.

"Jewish" is never used as an insult as far as I have heard, it's the legitimate term for people who follow Judaism. "Jew" is more a colloquialism derived from that term, and though it's not always used as an insult, it definitely has connotations as one.

It's like, we don't call Muslims "Muzzies" or Catholics "Cathos", so why call Jewish people "Jews"?

I agree that it's over the top to assume all Jewish people are offended by being called a "Jew" but I understand the train of thought here and it's fairly reasonable.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's kind of like how "***" is considered racist being a shortened version of Japanese

D

Deleted member

So, in Xenoblade X
Should I keep(for a sidequest or somthing) collectibles and materials or sell them?
Also, going the Samurai route because GIANT BLADES BOYZ

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it's just dependent on how it's used. As far as I'm aware, Jew is perfectly acceptable if it's being used as a noun. Using it as a verb or certain adjective (ie, "Jew tactics" and other such offensive terms) is incredibly offensive, but as a group of people it's fine. Hell, even Wikipedia uses it, and they try to remain as unbiased and correct as possible (the article's also protected, so no room for "but anyone can change it!" BS :p). It's also correct to say Jewish People, similar to how it's correct to say Danes and Danish people.

Or it could be regionally dependent, like how saying gypsy is fine in the US, but apparently a big no-no in Europe.

Shroob

Sup?
User was warned for this post
Why am I not surprised Magiana has already fallen prey to the darker side of the internet.

A safety reminder to everyone:

no

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why am I not surprised Magiana has already fallen prey to the darker side of the internet.

A safety reminder to everyone:

no
But that's how Chobits are turned on

To be fair, Christianity is only a religion. There's both the Jewish race and Judaism.
*sigh* goddammit me. Think before you type.
So, in Xenoblade X
Should I keep(for a sidequest or somthing) collectibles and materials or sell them?
Also, going the Samurai route because GIANT BLADES BOYZ
Keep all of them

99% chance you will need them for a quest at some point. And of course you will have no idea where to find them.

D

Deleted member

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD KEEP THOSE THINGS
*sigh* goddammit me. Think before you type.

Keep all of them

99% chance you will need them for a quest at some point. And of course you will have no idea where to find them.
But is there some other way to earn money? Like, through quests? Or even monster drops
Also, is there a Collectipedia or whatever it was called like in Xenoblade?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But is there some other way to earn money? Like, through quests? Or even monster drops
Also, is there a Collectipedia or whatever it was called like in Xenoblade?
Research Probes. They give you money after a while. You need to know how to do this or they don't give you a Skell

Is Shroob banned or was the Magearna pic simply NSFW?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
With that Sonic movie announced, I wonder if Eggman will be CGI, played by a real actor or Start off CGI and become "real" later in the film like the baddie in the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie.
I have a feeling Eggman will be portrayed by an actor. Since he's a human and movies nowadays have to have at least one big name attached to it. The question is, who could be a good Eggman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom