• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Charizard's popularity was the sole reason it got 2 megas, remember the 'HE'S FINALLY A DRAGON' hype?
Except he, you know...Got 2nd place in an official popularity poll for the entire franchise
And the reaction to that was far from completely positive. You seem to not realize the significant portion of fans who felt it was wholly undeserved, especially fans of Venusaur and Blastoise.

Charizard has far from a 100% approval rating.

Soul.

Even if "casual > competitive" in Pokémon I don't think we should ignore the competitive audience. The games have a lot of depth in them to be worth playing competitively.

I'll admit I was a 'casual' Pokémon player back then, but then I saw competitive Pokémon and... yeah.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
People only assume how bad :4feroy: is in his game because they compare stat growths to other lords in the series but people tend to forget Binding Blade has one of the worst star growths in the series. Almost majority of the cast is awful as hell in that game with growths and it's considered one of the hardest game in the series aside from Tharcia 776.

Even if take away the late promotion situation, Roy has decent stats in that game but the late promotion hurts him so badly late game. Early on and midway through the game, he's decent to serviceable. Sorry he doesn't have insane stats like Sigurd, Hector, Ephriam and RD Ike.

Roy's overall growths are about on the same level as :4marth:, Who is average and his father Eliwood is still worst considering he's useless all the way through the game considering Hector is a tank monster and a beast and Lyn has insane levels for critical hits and speed and Eliwood is supposed to be a jack of all trades type of character and he's bad at that.
I do agree that fans do focus too much on stats at times, but it's not off to say that he is the most lackluster of the lords in terms of his performance, and you brought up a big reason why that is. His late promotion hinders him a lot in the game since not only is he not contributing to the fighting, other units are going to be overtaking him and be far ahead. So until he promotes and gets that shiny new Sword of Seals, he's stuck in the back while most of the units (that are useful) do the heavy lifting until he can safety be ferried to the throne. That's a huge problem for a lord to have and one that the majority don't suffer from, even the ones that are also criticized for their stats like Micaiah have some sort of role that they can do or fill that keeps them afloat (in her case, staffbotting), which is not a luxury that Roy gets.

So even though stats may make up a good chunk of the reason people criticize Roy, that doesn't mean that his other flaws that hold him back aren't present. Roy does have some issues that most lords don't have to deal with, and those issues hold him back more then the majority of them as a result of that.

Having been a Pokemon fan for a long time, I can confirm that Charizard and Pikachu are Base Breakers at best. People outside the fandom have a much more positive reaction to them than those inside it, where they get a ton of flack for being overrated. Sure, it's more like the "hatred" some people spew about Frozen in relation to other Disney movies when it's not a bad film, but still. It's there.

And Marth is downight hated by lots of Fire Emblem fans.
Charizard constantly gets the #1 spot on polls such as Dorkly's and Marth recently got #2 on the Famitsu FE poll. So while they do get flack (especially Charizard due to it and its X form being pushed to a large amount), it's seems to not be to an extent that severely drags down their popularity.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Having been a Pokemon fan for a long time, I can confirm that Charizard and Pikachu are Base Breakers at best. People outside the fandom have a much more positive reaction to them than those inside it, where they get a ton of flack for being overrated. Sure, it's more like the "hatred" some people spew about Frozen in relation to other Disney movies when it's not a bad film, but still. It's there.

And Marth is downight hated by lots of Fire Emblem fans.
Lucario hits that base breaker harder than Pikachu and Charizard combined due to how hard TPC is pushing him, that stupid idea that he replaced Mewtwo in Brawl and that dumb furbait excuse.

I might argue somewhat against Marth being hated but I feel like that's due to Smash influence.

Even then the most popular FE characters are always this and Marth barely hits the top 10
  1. :4myfriends:
  2. :4lucina:
  3. The FE7 trio ( but moreso Hector and Lyn)
  4. Ephriam
  5. Sigurd (for that hipster cred)
  6. Chrom
  7. Micaiah
Roy is the most hated because of Smash and his fanbase from that, Marth became the same reason but moreso of the overrated issue. And all the MUs because of the self-insert thing people hate with :4robinm::4robinf: getting the biggest flak

Corrin is gonna replace that considering how his character is in Fates

D

Deleted member

They are all iconic and popular characters that get flak because of gameplay.
Roy is anything but popular in the FE fanbase

I can get where you are coming from with Pikachu
But CHARIZARD gets flak because of gameplay? That's like the opposite of what it is
Only hatred I'ce ever seen towards Charizard is because "muh overrated"
And everything that is popular will be hated at one point

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Swump if I'm not allowed to get a rage boner from Other M being a terrible game can I at least get a rage boner from how stupid the name is? Would the sequel have been called "Another Other M", or "Yet Another M"? Or maybe, "Other P"

/s

My only real gripes with the game were how darn short it was, and how Nintendo allowed it to be the only Metroid game since its release. Sure, it didn't live up to the standards of the Metroid franchise, but it was generally enjoyable to play. It just felt a little bare-bones content wise, and then shot the franchise in the foot. The story may have been out of character, but cinematic story telling skills were never a hard selling point for Metroid games in the first place.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Roy is anything but popular in the FE fanbase

I can get where you are coming from with Pikachu
But CHARIZARD gets flak because of gameplay? That's like the opposite of what it is
Only hatred I'ce ever seen towards Charizard is because "muh overrated"
And everything that is popular will be hated at one point
Sneaky Pebbles was a common complaint against Charizard iirc

D

Deleted member

Stealth Rock
Oh
I'm not familiar with Smogon memes
Unless it's Smogon bird or related to the bans
Speaking of bans, how many Pokemon have they banned at this point?
I still remember the days of XY when Mega Lucario, Blaziken, Mega Khangaskhan, Aegislash, Mega Gengar... were banned
It was a long list
I'm pretty sure I forgot some

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Swump if I'm not allowed to get a rage boner from Other M being a terrible game can I at least get a rage boner from how stupid the name is? Would the sequel have been called "Another Other M", or "Yet Another M"? Or maybe, "Other P"?
Wasn't the reason for the game having an odd name because the game had an emphasizing theme on "mothers"?

Last edited:

Soul.

Oh
I'm not familiar with Smogon memes
Unless it's Smogon bird or related to the bans
Speaking of bans, how many Pokemon have they banned at this point?
I still remember the days of XY when Mega Lucario, Blaziken, Mega Khangaskhan, Aegislash, Mega Gengar... were banned
It was a long list
I'm pretty sure I forgot some
Genesect, Greninja, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Mega Salamence when it was allowed in OU.
Deoxys' normal form was allowed when X/Y were released but it was banned alongside Blaziken shortly after.

D

Deleted member

How about we talk 'bout some Star Wars? Because we'll go back to this subject no matter what happens just like we do with the movies
If you are one of those that keep rewatching the trailer, why not see an honest version of it
Genesect, Greninja, Deoxys-S, Deoxys-D, Mega Salamence when it was allowed in OU.
Deoxys' normal form was allowed when X/Y were released but it was banned alongside Blaziken shortly after.
Greninja is the most random of these lol
Heh, wanna hear a joke?
How many Smogon users does it take to change a light bulb?
None, they will just ban the light bulb for being broken :dazwa:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How about we talk 'bout some Star Wars? Because we'll go back to this subject no matter what happens just like we do with the movies
If you are one of those that keep rewatching the trailer, why not see an honest version of it

Heh, wanna hear a joke?
Greninja has a great ability, high Spatck and Speed and something called '4slot syndrome' where it was unpredictable. It had moves that could kill every other mon in it's tier so every team had Greninja

Soul.

Heh, wanna hear a joke?
Honestly I really don't play Smogon's meta anymore. I liked it the most when it was Gen 4.
VGC got me interested for a while then I forgot about it. Then again, the majority plays Smogon's meta and as a result favors more towards the Singles format rather than Doubles.
Greninja has a great ability, high Spatck and Speed and something called '4slot syndrome' where it was unpredictable. It had moves that could kill every other mon in it's tier so every team had Greninja
I thought 4 moveset syndrome was when a Pokémon wanted to have a lot of moves in their arsenal but due to the 4 slots it can't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But they put the M after the other not before it. Also, the game was totally baby crazy. There's some youtube video that has every time someone says 'baby' in the game and it's pretty funny.
That's the joke
Other M
Mother
Other M is also a reference to MB
The other Mother Brain
4 slot syndrome is actually used when a Pokemon has great potential mkveset but is limited by said 4 slots

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
One of the reasons it was definitively banned was ORAS giving him Gunk Shot- he used to struggle versus Fairies, but not after that.

And if you all follow the TCG, Breakthrough came out today and I bought an elite trainer box, since my friend is trying to get me back into it. Pulled two Mega Houndoom EX, one of which was a full art :love:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
4 slot syndrome is actually used when a Pokemon has great potential mkveset but is limited by said 4 slots
Either you quoted the wrong post or I should have explained something better. Greninja had an answer to everything it could go up against, tons of amazing moves, but only room for 4. This is also good for Greninja as that means your foe doesn't know what moves you'll have because Greninja has more than enough good moves

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Shadow Mewtwo has appeared! Stay tuned to the end of the video to get a peek of this mysterious Pokémon. Pokkén Tournament is coming to Wii U in spring 2016!

Oh Shadow Mewtwo, hey?

Let's get Wes, Rui and Michael on the case!

why will this never happen? T_T
I want my dangling plot threads from Colosseum and XD tied up, already T_T

You know it would be cool if we actually got a 3rd game and you actually got all 3 of the Orre game protagonists interacting with each other, also I'd love to see how Gonzap would react to Wes being back in Orre.

Anyway here's something fun I've been thinking about guys, what other Legendaries would you like to get Primal forms like the ones Groundon and Kyroge have, since it is actually very plausible to assume that other Legendary Pokemon have lost some of their power from their years of slumbering for so long, and before anyone says it, No you can't choose Mewtwo because him having a primal form makes absolutely no sense, after all these are the Legendaries who have lost power because they were alive from ancient times.

Personally I'd love to see Lugia get a primal form, since he never did seem all that powerful what with him being the guardian of the sea and all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So I've decided to go through which franchises I believe have a shot of getting a new DLC character, franchises that already have one such as Pokemon I've disregarded, and third-party franchises have also been disregarded, so without further ado, let's begin.

Mario-Possible
DK-Very Likely
Warioware-Very Unlikely
Yoshi-Very Unlikely
Zelda-Unlikely
Metriod-Very Unlikely (Sorry @LIQUID12A )
Kirby-Very Likely
Star Fox-Very Likely
F-Zero-Very Unlikely
Game & Watch-Impossible
Kid Icarus-Very Unlikely (Sorry A Distant Demon A Distant Demon )
Pikmin-Almost Impossible
Gyromite-Almost Impossible
Wii Fit-Impossible
Xenoblade-Very Unlikely
Duck Hunt-Impossible
SEGA Character-Possible
Namco-Bandai Character-Possible

And that's my list.
>Xenoblade listed as very unlikely
>no "(Sorry, Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura )" knowing I want a certain Xenoblade character who's also in PXZ2

:c i feel so snubbed rn

But in all honesty, I think we may get another Xenoblade character what with X coming next month. It's more likely to be Mecha-Fiora seeing as how again, her appearance in Project X Zone 2 means she's getting some recognition. I'm not seeing a X character just yet, though, seeing as how there's a lot of spoilers tied into a certain few and the game's not here yet. X music is a MUST, though, especially Uncontrollable.

The rest of the list I agree with.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Oh Shadow Mewtwo, hey?

Let's get Wes, Rui and Michael on the case!

why will this never happen? T_T
I want my dangling plot threads from Colosseum and XD tied up, already T_T

You know it would be cool if we actually got a 3rd game and you actually got all 3 of the Orre game protagonists interacting with each other, also I'd love to see how Gonzap would react to Wes being back in Orre.

Anyway here's something fun I've been thinking about guys, what other Legendaries would you like to get Primal forms like the ones Groundon and Kyroge have, since it is actually very plausible to assume that other Legendary Pokemon have lost some of their power from their years of slumbering for so long, and before anyone says it, No you can't choose Mewtwo because him having a primal form makes absolutely no sense, after all these are the Legendaries who have lost power because they were alive from ancient times.

Personally I'd love to see Lugia get a primal form, since he never did seem all that powerful what with him being the guardian of the sea and all.
Only ones I could see would be the box legendaries. So Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, and Zekrom. And Yvetal and Xerneas if they wanted to give them new forms already. I'm not sure if the 3rd version pokes would get Megas/Primals because they already have additional forms. Primal White Kyurem is a mouthful...

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Charizard, Dark Pit and Bowser Jr were my examples. Also, Charizard's wings were made bigger this game
Reminds me, Ganondorf has the ability to float in the Zelda series, yet not only lacks it in Smash, but also has the worst midair jump in each Smash he's in (except for maybe Zelda's being even worse in Melee). Even Little Mac in Smash 4, the character who is supposed to have no aerial capabilities whatsoever, can defy gravity better than Ganon can.

Fun fact, in Smash 4, Ganondorf's midair jump is so terrible, he is the only character who cannot do a ledgehop properly (for those who don't know what a ledgehop is, it's when you let go of a ledge and then use your midair jump to jump back onto the stage).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Either you quoted the wrong post or I should have explained something better. Greninja had an answer to everything it could go up against, tons of amazing moves, but only room for 4. This is also good for Greninja as that means your foe doesn't know what moves you'll have because Greninja has more than enough good moves
No, for 4 slot syndrome is exactly as me and Soul. Soul. Described it
It's a limitation not a benefit

D

Deleted member

It's also a benefit in Greninja's case as he has so many good moves that makes it unpredictable
But that's not a benefit gained from only having 4 move slots
It would still be unpredictable even if it had 3 or 5 move slots for example

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
>Xenoblade listed as very unlikely
>no "(Sorry, Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura )" knowing I want a certain Xenoblade character who's also in PXZ2

:c i feel so snubbed rn

But in all honesty, I think we may get another Xenoblade character what with X coming next month. It's more likely to be Mecha-Fiora seeing as how again, her appearance in Project X Zone 2 means she's getting some recognition. I'm not seeing a X character just yet, though, seeing as how there's a lot of spoilers tied into a certain few and the game's not here yet. X music is a MUST, though, especially Uncontrollable.

The rest of the list I agree with.
Sorry, forgot to appologize, boy I'm a dummy! :3 I've added added that it's possible.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Faith found these two right next to eachother
God damnit Flowey
Why must you be everywhere

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I forgot Animal Crossing, added. (Almost impossible though because every eligable canidate is either a stage element or something else)

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Only ones I could see would be the box legendaries. So Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram, and Zekrom. And Yvetal and Xerneas if they wanted to give them new forms already. I'm not sure if the 3rd version pokes would get Megas/Primals because they already have additional forms. Primal White Kyurem is a mouthful...
Well you know Dexoys doesn't only have 1 form, so you don't need to stick the Primal on to other forms, affter all I said this is just making the Pokemon regain its power from long ago, so no need to have White Kyurem and the like have Primal on top of that form.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Faith found these two right next to eachother
God damnit Flowey
Why must you be everywhere
What works better: Splattale, or Undertoon?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So the list is now complete for now, if anyone else has anything to say about it, I'm okay with feedback, so it'd be great if I could hear some thoughts on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom