• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

Serell

Smash Apprentice

Another height comparison.

Who knew the biggest sticking point on this thread would be Ray's height, although it kind of makes sense. Ray is canonically small, but the games only show Robo's in separate instances to any reference object.

It actually reminds me. In Custom Robo Arena, there are times when the Robo's fight outside the Holosseum. You can see dumpsters, doors, and even a cat.

I honestly feel Ray should be Mac's height. Sure, it isn't canon, but that's what would feel best. In his games, Ray doesn't fight giants, he fights other robos around his size, so he should be scaled up for Smash. Maybe they could even explain it in-game, like this is a new, experimental real-word fighting Ray model? Could set up the plot and story for the next Custom Robo game...

Also, I imagine it would be a NIGHTMARE to balance a tiny, fast, good aerial, heavy projectile user. Balancing Ray sounds hard enough, but trying to balance him as a Kirby-sized character sounds impossible.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
LBX isn't owned by Nintendo, if it's a success they might remember they have Custom Robo and make a new one to compete. +5 if they have toys and an anime too
I can't believe the mini Fighting Robot's genre isn't bigger around the world.
Also, given how many times that Direct said mini, custom, and robo, I think Custom Robo must of popped into the heads of a few employees.
I'll probably check out LBX as well. But I wonder if it means we won't get any more Custom Robo games in the future.
I'll probably get LBX as well, just because I love Prof. Layton so I hope Level-5 will give it a good story. The design was also quite charming, and the Robo's looked cool.
I honestly feel Ray should be Mac's height. Sure, it isn't canon, but that's what would feel best. In his games, Ray doesn't fight giants, he fights other robos around his size, so he should be scaled up for Smash. Maybe they could even explain it in-game, like this is a new, experimental real-word fighting Ray model? Could set up the plot and story for the next Custom Robo game...

Also, I imagine it would be a NIGHTMARE to balance a tiny, fast, good aerial, heavy projectile user. Balancing Ray sounds hard enough, but trying to balance him as a Kirby-sized character sounds impossible.
I originally thought that as well, but the smaller look has grown on me. I agree about the balancing point though.

Last edited:

Spluni

Smash Rookie
As for a possible anime, what style do you guys think they should go for if they do so? Darker/more realistic like Battle Revolution, a bit more colorful like the 1st 3 games, or a mix like in Arena?
A mix would probably be the best approach to appeal to a wider audience, but I personally would be cool with any of the aforementioned styles. That reminds me, does anyone here remember the comic based on BR that appeared in Nintendo Power? I had fun reading that when I was a kid even though it was a bit confusing.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Found the OFFICIAL Custom Robo Director's Twitter page. It's in Japanese (of course), so you might need to use Google Translate to translate some stuff:

https://twitter.com/KenjohKohji

Edit: Looks like the creator of the series resigned from Noise a couple of months ago. That's a bummer.

I can't believe the mini Fighting Robot's genre isn't bigger around the world.
Also, given how many times that Direct said mini, custom, and robo, I think Custom Robo must of popped into the heads of a few employees.

I'll probably get LBX as well, just because I love Prof. Layton so I hope Level-5 will give it a good story. The design was also quite charming, and the Robo's looked cool.

I originally thought that as well, but the smaller look has grown on me. I agree about the balancing point though.
At this point, I believe that that Little Mac size or slightly bigger than Olimar size would be perfect for Ray. Bigger than that and it conflicts with source material. Smaller than that and it becomes EXTREMELY hard to balance properly.

A mix would probably be the best approach to appeal to a wider audience, but I personally would be cool with any of the aforementioned styles. That reminds me, does anyone here remember the comic based on BR that appeared in Nintendo Power? I had fun reading that when I was a kid even though it was a bit confusing.
Oh yeah, I remember those comics! Wasn't the story that there was this girl who could dive into other commanders' robos while they were in mid-dive or something to that effect? I know it took place before the events of the main portion of the game (before the Hero obtains Ray 01). It was pretty decent when I read it as a kid, but I cannot seem to find it online at all.

Edit: Got the issue numbers for the comics though (and their covers):

Custom Robo #1 - Nintendo Power #184
Custom Robo #2 - Nintendo Power #185
Custom Robo #3 - Nintendo Power #186

Edit (again): And some of the inside pages:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nintendo-power-comic-custom-robo

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Personally, when it comes to ray's size (and the size of all the other robos), I always thought they were the same size as humans (but a bit bigger cause of all the gear) for a good chunk of playing custom robo for the gamecube. I only once knew how small he was once I saw how small the final boss was (I feel bad for forgetting the name, I just could never find custom robo in stores, so I only was able to play it from a friend letting me borrow it).

It's hard for people to get a sense of scale if there's nothing to compare it to. Some other examples of this are Kirby characters, due to them taking up a decent portion of the screen. And there's really never a point in the kirby series to make you think that Kirby is so tiny.
Can't think of any other nintendo exclusive examples of this but I know the lack of sense of scale is something I get from quite a few of the mech/giant robot games. Unless you get to play as something small at least for a short time in those games, you just feel like a robot around human size going around a toy world.

Just been glancing at this subject (because I've been to busy to post and have a tendency to make long posts), but I figured I'd mention this to support the larger Ray option. To me, Ray would look better if he was about half way between samus and little mac height.
In the end, I don't care the size ray is as long as he's in.

Just 2 questions:
#1. Do you think players seeing ray for the first time (and probably never again until a new smash) would find it akward to see him going from this foot-sized fighter, to a larger playable character?
#2. Since I have only played on custom robo game, are there other custom robo games that really make you feel how small the robos are? And is it only cutscenes where they feel smaller (cause that's the way it was with the Gamecube one)

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Personally, when it comes to ray's size (and the size of all the other robos), I always thought they were the same size as humans (but a bit bigger cause of all the gear) for a good chunk of playing custom robo for the gamecube. I only once knew how small he was once I saw how small the final boss was (I feel bad for forgetting the name, I just could never find custom robo in stores, so I only was able to play it from a friend letting me borrow it).

It's hard for people to get a sense of scale if there's nothing to compare it to. Some other examples of this are Kirby characters, due to them taking up a decent portion of the screen. And there's really never a point in the kirby series to make you think that Kirby is so tiny.
Can't think of any other nintendo exclusive examples of this but I know the lack of sense of scale is something I get from quite a few of the mech/giant robot games. Unless you get to play as something small at least for a short time in those games, you just feel like a robot around human size going around a toy world.

Just been glancing at this subject (because I've been to busy to post and have a tendency to make long posts), but I figured I'd mention this to support the larger Ray option. To me, Ray would look better if he was about half way between samus and little mac height.
In the end, I don't care the size ray is as long as he's in.

Just 2 questions:
#1. Do you think players seeing ray for the first time (and probably never again until a new smash) would find it akward to see him going from this foot-sized fighter, to a larger playable character?
#2. Since I have only played on custom robo game, are there other custom robo games that really make you feel how small the robos are? And is it only cutscenes where they feel smaller (cause that's the way it was with the Gamecube one)
No worries dude! The Custom Robo games are somewhat hard to get now these days (unless if you have Amazon like I do [snagged CR1 for the N64 for $11 and V2 for around $21]), so it's understandable if you don't know all of the key terms.

I'm assuming you're talking about Rahu III, the final boss of Custom Robo (GCN), right? Yeah, he's a bit bigger than the other robos. If you want a HUMONGOUS robo, try Jameson in V2. He's THE biggest robo in existence (video comes from juran04's channel, so expect a TON of Japanese speaking in this video):

In the glossaries of the games, it is mentioned that Custom Robos are on average 30 centimeters/12 inches (for the GameCube game) or 10 inches (Arena, the DS game). So, they are PRETTY tiny when compared to humans.

But I do understand what you are saying. You're saying that because there are no other characters from the same universe to base Ray's size on, size shouldn't be too much of an issue for Ray, so he doesn't need to be miniscule and that his frame (in Battle Revolution, that is) is more similar to Marth's frame than Little Mac's frame, right? That's a valid argument as well.

As for your questions, here's my take on them:

1. For people who don't know the series, sizing shouldn't be too much of a problem for them as they wouldn't know that detail (unless if they looked it up or checked his trophy from Melee/Brawl). As for fans of the series, they probably would need to adjust to the new sizing if other Custom Robo content is included besides Ray (i.e. a Bayonette Assist Trophy, for example). That being said, I did use this one Ray 01 mod on Samus one time (the mod is on the 1st post for reference if you want to see what I am talking about) and it felt fine to me, so sizing isn't an issue for me.
  2. Yep! All of them have TONS of references to how small they are. There's real world battles (like this one in the 1st game), 10 year olds polishing their robos (it's a feature in Arena, BTW), people toss their Robo Cubes up and down with their hand in order to signify that they want to battle, and so on. In fact, one character (I won't spoil who) dives into her robo in order to talk to the hero while she is trapped in a jail cell. The robo uses a tiny passageway that a normal kid couldn't fit into. So, there are TONs of references to the small nature of Robos in the other games.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Well, thanks for clearing up everything I was thinking about..... It's very strange for me to see someone that can singlehandedly answer everything I wanted to know and so quickly. Also surprised how cheap Custom Robo is compared to how fun it is, I'll try to get it at some point.

Also Rahu was the one I was thinking of. After how many times it is mentioned, and after fighting it a few times, and it being the robo that my friend beat me with several times before I could learn the controls and start the story (generally a jerk thing to do, but I pick up games quickly, and play well. So he wouldn't really have a chance to win otherwise), I feel bad for forgetting. At least I got 3 of the 4 letters right, for some reason I thought it was "Mahu".

I look forward to playing the game again sometime. Because I remember really really wanting the wyrm gun (I forget how good it was, and I am biased towards dragon based things), loving the quick sidesteps in the game, the first person mode after you beat the game being very interesting (since I never see games turn their stuff on it's head quite like that much, and I only got to play 1-2 matches with it), and I remember the "I'm not going" part at the end of the game which I found hilarious and awesome (never seen something like that in any other game).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You guys know that Smash Bros is speculated to just be some kid playing with his toys. If Ray was around Little Mac's height that would make sense. Plus its not even canon to the OG games.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well, thanks for clearing up everything I was thinking about..... It's very strange for me to see someone that can singlehandedly answer everything I wanted to know and so quickly. Also surprised how cheap Custom Robo is compared to how fun it is, I'll try to get it at some point.

Also Rahu was the one I was thinking of. After how many times it is mentioned, and after fighting it a few times, and it being the robo that my friend beat me with several times before I could learn the controls and start the story (generally a jerk thing to do, but I pick up games quickly, and play well. So he wouldn't really have a chance to win otherwise), I feel bad for forgetting. At least I got 3 of the 4 letters right, for some reason I thought it was "Mahu".

I look forward to playing the game again sometime. Because I remember really really wanting the wyrm gun (I forget how good it was, and I am biased towards dragon based things), loving the quick sidesteps in the game, the first person mode after you beat the game being very interesting (since I never see games turn their stuff on it's head quite like that much, and I only got to play 1-2 matches with it), and I remember the "I'm not going" part at the end of the game which I found hilarious and awesome (never seen something like that in any other game).
Happy to help mate! :)

And don't worry about forgetting about stuff! I had to brush up on some stuff as of recent as well. We all forget stuff once in a while. Rahu is a weird name (comes from a Hindu Legend of a Serpent that swallows the sun, causing eclipses [had to look that one up as it's a weird name], which explains his snake like head in his final form).

And yeah, this style of bonus content, writing, and attention to detail is hard to find now these days IMHO (it exists, but it's sorta hard to find). All of the Robos' names reference some sort of naming convention (though I cannot seem to peg down Jameson's name origin to be honest). Lightning Sky robos are named after missiles (except for some Illegal ones like Ruhiel (Jewish Angel of the Wind and one of the Great Angels), Rahu (Hindu Serpent that eats the Sun), and Hadron (Quark related stuff)), Trick Fliers have "Head" at the end of their name in the Japanese version (that was lost in the translation [Oracle was known as Oracle Head back in the day and Mantis is Mantis Head in Japan]), Aerial Beauties are named after space phenomenon/objects (Flare relates to Solar Flares, Milky Way is another name for our Solar System, Miranda is one of Uranus' moons, and Luna is Latin for Moon), and so on. There are so many thing to keep track of, so it's alright if some things were not known off the top of one's head.

You guys know that Smash Bros is speculated to just be some kid playing with his toys. If Ray was around Little Mac's height that would make sense. Plus its not even canon to the OG games.
Valid point about Smash not sticking to the literal heights of the original games. I'm personally a supporter of Mac's height for Ray, but I'm fine with any size honestly.

That being said, there is an interesting parallel between Smash Bros. characters supposedly being toys/trophies and Custom Robos being the size of action figures. I mean, they go hand in Master hand, so I'm surprised they didn't add Ray sooner.

Edit: Dang, it has been a while since the last reply. Just wanna update you guys on what I am working on so far.

I finished recording a playthrough of Custom Robo (N64) and am doing a translation project with @mynameisv for the 3 Japan only games. I have access to Sony Vegas, so I decided to make a special overlay (using the background graphics from each game's Japanese website [it'll change each game walkthrough]) that will have the dialog translation below and the sets (mine and the opponent's) and holosseum to the right of the footage.

Here's an example of the overlay without the extra information and graphics (as they still need to be translated). Any suggestions will be helpful for me:

If you know Japanese and want to help us (me and mynameisv) with the translation, please send me a message or reply on this board.

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I finished recording a playthrough of Custom Robo (N64) and am doing a translation project with @mynameisv for the 3 Japan only games. I have access to Sony Vegas, so I decided to make a special overlay (using the background graphics from each game's Japanese website [it'll change each game walkthrough]) that will have the dialog translation below and the sets (mine and the opponent's) and holosseum to the right of the footage.

Here's an example of the overlay without the extra information and graphics (as they still need to be translated). Any suggestions will be helpful for me:

If you know Japanese and want to help us (me and mynameisv) with the translation, please send me a message or reply on this board.
I can't help with translations, but if I can help in any other way. Maybe making something for the videos (like a thumbnail, or some graphics/textboxes for the overlay) I'll happily do it.

I also wonder how long you're going to make each part. I would suggest the longer the better. If people want to look at a complete play-through without commentary, they'll likely use it to study the full game or experience it organically which means stopping and starting at their own pace, rather than the part length.

This is a really cool thing to do. I look forward to learning more about the past games. I also want to congratulate you on what you've done on Robopedia. It's impressive how much work you've put into it, and I go there occasionally to read the pages you've written.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I can't help with translations, but if I can help in any other way. Maybe making something for the videos (like a thumbnail, or some graphics/textboxes for the overlay) I'll happily do it.

I also wonder how long you're going to make each part. I would suggest the longer the better. If people want to look at a complete play-through without commentary, they'll likely use it to study the full game or experience it organically which means stopping and starting at their own pace, rather than the part length.

This is a really cool thing to do. I look forward to learning more about the past games. I also want to congratulate you on what you've done on Robopedia. It's impressive how much work you've put into it, and I go there occasionally to read the pages you've written.
Having Graphics made for the overlay would be PERFECT as I TOTALLY suck at art (used to be good at porcelain related art but that disappeared with the wind). I think graphics for the dialogue boxes as well as the sets/holosseum, a message box where I can type some commentary in, and a thumbnail would be perfect. I can re-size some stuff if needed though as Vegas is weird.

The total time of CR1's playthrough is 7:05:06 (25506 seconds total) across 64 episodes (coincidence that CR64 lasts for 64 episodes). So, an average episode would last around 6:39 (399 seconds). I basically cut each part to whenever I saved (a Hauppauge screw-up while recording V2 made me learn that I should end the recording BEFORE I save instead of after [Hauppauge is not the best in quality IMHO, but it's better than nothing]), but I can try merging some videos together to get longer parts if need be. I'll add my commentary via a message box in the bottom right of the overlay for stuff like general strategies for the battle or my thoughts on characters, but I can make stuff longer if needed. Some things I will keep in separate videos due to them being important encounters on their own, but I can merge some stuff.

As for Grand Battle and GX tournaments, I'll have it such that a tournament is a video. GX tournaments appear in 3 forms: Single Elimination, Round Robin, and Sequential (think Grand Battle style). Round Robin and Sequential tournaments have you face against everyone, but Single Elimination tournaments don't have you face against everyone, so I might have to edit in some battles such that all possible routes are covered. For example, the Makno Mall Cup (the 1st tournament) has Hitomi, Yusuke, and Shinsaku as opponents. However, you only face against 2 of them as one will be eliminated by your final opponent. The only Single Elimination tournament that is fixed (besides you needing to face against a Nikaidou agent for the passwords) is the Great Robo Cup, so that one acts more like a Sequential tournament.

And thanks mate! I appreciate the kind words! :) I ain't that good at story and character related articles, so I try to focus on Robos and Holosseums the most. It's kinda fun trying to find name origins personally (Rakansen and Ruhiel were toughies to find as they don't have many pages on Coin Throwing and Jewish Great Angels available for some reason). :)

Would anyone be interested in playing Custom Robo(GC or DS) at CEO or STR? Would love to play friendlies in those games.
That is a good idea. If I went to CEO or STR, I would bring it with me. But I sadly cannot make it due to school.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Having Graphics made for the overlay would be PERFECT as I TOTALLY suck at art (used to be good at porcelain related art but that disappeared with the wind). I think graphics for the dialogue boxes as well as the sets/holosseum, a message box where I can type some commentary in, and a thumbnail would be perfect. I can re-size some stuff if needed though as Vegas is weird.

The total time of CR1's playthrough is 7:05:06 (25506 seconds total) across 64 episodes (coincidence that CR64 lasts for 64 episodes). So, an average episode would last around 6:39 (399 seconds). I basically cut each part to whenever I saved (a Hauppauge screw-up while recording V2 made me learn that I should end the recording BEFORE I save instead of after [Hauppauge is not the best in quality IMHO, but it's better than nothing]), but I can try merging some videos together to get longer parts if need be. I'll add my commentary via a message box in the bottom right of the overlay for stuff like general strategies for the battle or my thoughts on characters, but I can make stuff longer if needed. Some things I will keep in separate videos due to them being important encounters on their own, but I can merge some stuff.

As for Grand Battle and GX tournaments, I'll have it such that a tournament is a video. GX tournaments appear in 3 forms: Single Elimination, Round Robin, and Sequential (think Grand Battle style). Round Robin and Sequential tournaments have you face against everyone, but Single Elimination tournaments don't have you face against everyone, so I might have to edit in some battles such that all possible routes are covered. For example, the Makno Mall Cup (the 1st tournament) has Hitomi, Yusuke, and Shinsaku as opponents. However, you only face against 2 of them as one will be eliminated by your final opponent. The only Single Elimination tournament that is fixed (besides you needing to face against a Nikaidou agent for the passwords) is the Great Robo Cup, so that one acts more like a Sequential tournament.

And thanks mate! I appreciate the kind words! :) I ain't that good at story and character related articles, so I try to focus on Robos and Holosseums the most. It's kinda fun trying to find name origins personally (Rakansen and Ruhiel were toughies to find as they don't have many pages on Coin Throwing and Jewish Great Angels available for some reason). :)

That is a good idea. If I went to CEO or STR, I would bring it with me. But I sadly cannot make it due to school.
You might want to open these images in a new tab. They're very large (1920x1080 px).
Is this the type of thing you need? Any changes you want to make, just ask and I'll edit. Also, the thumbnail should probably have the part number on it, so if you need that included just tell me how many parts it is and I'll make one for every part.

Whenever you need these things for a V2 or GX playthrough, just give me an example video and I'll make an overlay and thumbnail template for those.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
You might want to open these images in a new tab. They're very large (1920x1080 px).
Is this the type of thing you need? Any changes you want to make, just ask and I'll edit. Also, the thumbnail should probably have the part number on it, so if you need that included just tell me how many parts it is and I'll make one for every part.

Whenever you need these things for a V2 or GX playthrough, just give me an example video and I'll make an overlay and thumbnail template for those.
HOLY SMOKES! THOSE ARE VERY SEXY!! Thanks a TON for making those images for me! This helps me a TON! There are 2 minor things though I would change though:
  1. I notice that there is a minor bit of light blue on the left of the video screen that grows bigger as you go down. It's not noticeable when you have a tiny screen, but the full 1920x1080 screen has it become VERY noticeable. Is it alright if the light blue is removed on the inner left side of the video screen?
  2. There's a bit of yellow on the bottom of the pod icons (probably due to the cursor). If it's possible, can you remove the yellow in them such that the coloring of the icons are the same?
Other than those two adjustments, this overlay is PERFECT. I tested the video out and it fit after resizing it slightly. The 4:3 ratio is intact and the video plays quite well! I'll create a test video once I translate the 1st video (using the best of my non-existent translating skills and Google Translate) and will post the link to the video once completed.

Regarding the number of parts total, there would be 64 parts AT MOST. I might merge some of the videos together, but I know for a fact that 64 is the maximum amount of videos that I'll have for this walkthrough.

Thanks a TON for your help! This really speeds things up for me a LOT. :)

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
  1. I notice that there is a minor bit of light blue on the left of the video screen that grows bigger as you go down. It's not noticeable when you have a tiny screen, but the full 1920x1080 screen has it become VERY noticeable. Is it alright if the light blue is removed on the inner left side of the video screen?
  2. There's a bit of yellow on the bottom of the pod icons (probably due to the cursor). If it's possible, can you remove the yellow in them such that the coloring of the icons are the same?
Here you go

I'll email you the thumbnails.

So everyone! E3 is just a few days away, and though there's almost no chance of a new Custom Robo announcement (let's hope for a VC release), I have a question.
What do you think a new Custom Robo game could be like? The most recent CR games had a single-player RPG and multiplayer in small arena's, but what could they do differently? After playing Splatoon, I began having visions of a heavily online multiplayer focused Custom Robo, with specialised modes. Would you guys be happy if the new Custom Robo had a futuristic city hub for multiplayer and no singleplayer, and what new multiplayer modes could they have?

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I want single player story for a new CR game. CRA style for robos and a more real world look to the humans. I would love it if the real world battles had you actually fight in the same environment that the humans are in. You would have protect your human body while fighting as the robos would harm humans. The game should be flashy like in CRBR as that game is beautiful.

8 players would be cool but they would have to fix the way free-for-alls and teams function as the way they are in CRBR would feel clunky with 8 people.

The gunner subs from GX should come back as an additional part to equip. What do you guys think of new parts for your loadout? I mean like, instead of just gun, bomb, pod it would be gun, bomb ,pod, gunner etc.

Back to Smash.

If Ray gets in, he should definitely get stage rep. What do you guys think a CR stage would be like in Smash?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Here you go

I'll email you the thumbnails.

So everyone! E3 is just a few days away, and though there's almost no chance of a new Custom Robo announcement (let's hope for a VC release), I have a question.
What do you think a new Custom Robo game could be like? The most recent CR games had a single-player RPG and multiplayer in small arena's, but what could they do differently? After playing Splatoon, I began having visions of a heavily online multiplayer focused Custom Robo, with specialised modes. Would you guys be happy if the new Custom Robo had a futuristic city hub for multiplayer and no singleplayer, and what new multiplayer modes could they have?
Thanks again! Made a minor edit to the overlay. I'll show you guys a video with it once I translate a video.

As for E3, I cannot wait for it! Hopefully it'll be good this year! Hoping for some more Robot Chicken skits like last year. Those were funny!

As for my idea for a new Custom Robo, I do think that the Multiplayer mode should be a centralized hub similar to Splatoon. However, I do think that there should still be a single player mode (Splatoon had one). However, I do believe that the two modes should be intermixed somehow. But Single Player is a MUST and should not suffer from Multiplayer mode.

I got several ideas on how the 2 can be merged:
  • The Ranking system from Custom Robo Arena returns. You get points for participating in battles. You can earn points by winning single player battles, but you can earn a TON more points through Multiplayer mode.
  • The playable character's gender is able to be chosen (this will be the 1st time where you can be a girl in Custom Robo). Depending on your gender, your 1st robo will either be the newest Ray model or the newest Flare model (I do like the Flare robos to be honest, so why not have them return). Dunno if there should be a clothing element like in Pokemon X and Y and Splatoon, but having one would allow personalization and would be hip with the kids.
  • Regarding parts, you can have multiple of the same part (like in GX). If you have duplicates of a part, you could choose to sell them, trade them with a friend, or use them as components for the new Laboratory feature.
  • Add a Laboratory feature that allows you to merge parts in order to make new parts (thanks to Robo Doc from V2). For example, you could merge a Gatling Gun with a Right Arc Gun to create the Right Pulse Gun or a Meteor Gun with a Blade Gun to get a Sword Storm Gun. In addition, once you progress further in the game, you can earn blueprints that teach you recipes (you can still make the parts without the blueprints, but you won't know what the parts will make until the blueprints for the new part is created). Blueprints are able to be earned through Single Player mode or via Multiplayer mode as a random drop. Illegal parts will be able to be made via this mode once you obtain a key item in the future.
  • Make the new Ray and Flare models special in the sense that they can be changed into one of 5 Robo Styles: Jumper, Power, Normal, Speed, or Armor. They are separate from the standard Shining Fighter and Aerial Beauty robos (like how the other Ray models in Arena were in a separate tab from the 3 main Shining Fighters). For example, you obtain (and I'm making these names up) Gamma Ray or Solar Flare when you start the game. When you unlock the Laboratory feature, Robo Doc gives you the choice of adding 2 out of 4 possible upgrades (legs for speed, thrusters for jumper, arms for power, or torso for armor) for +2 in 2 (for a total of +4) or improving 4 stats by +1. Once you make your choice, you receive a new Solar Flare model based on the parts you choose. You can purchase more Gamma Rays and Solar Flare robos in the future. Here is a list of the names I though of for each variation:
  • Parts are also purchasable through shops using in-game currency (obtainable in Single Player and Multiplayer modes). There are 8 shops total: Robos, Guns, Bombs, Pods, Legs, Holosseums, Dioramas, and Chips (a returning/new feature). These shops will have more parts available once you get a higher rank. Not all parts are available via the parts shop, however. Some will need to be made via the Laboratory. There is also an Underground Shop that allows for the purchase of Illegal Parts.
  • The Ultimate Battle Fortress/Dungeon Battles from GX/Arena returns after beating Single Player mode's campaign.
  • Chips return from Custom Robo GX. However, instead of them being Action Chips, have them be Support Chips. They are used to give a passive effect like changing stats or modifying aspects of parts (i.e. multiply effect of leg parts by 115%). Each robo can equip 1 Chip total, but winning Expansion Packs (via various means) allows you to add more chips (up to 3 chips total).
  • Parts are also able to be won from multiplayer matches. If you have a higher rank in multiplayer, you'll be able to obtain better parts.
  • Online multiplayer modes include Traditional 1v1, Battle Royal Matches (ala Battle Revolution), 2v2 Team Battles, Tag Battles (where you can swap robos by pressing the change target button like in V2 and BR), and so on. Maybe include a new mode for online like King of the Hill and have Faction Battles ala Splatoon. Also, one can host tournaments ala Smash Bros (eventually) and Mario Kart 8, but they can choose it to be Round Robin or Single Elimination (might be hard to implement though). One part of online mode bans Illegal/Military parts while another has anything goes. Maybe have a leaderboard mode as well for Ranked Battles as well as a combo board and a Time Attack board for missions.
  • 1st Person mode returns for those who want to use it.
  • Mission Battles return.
  • Local Multiplayer like in the older games return.
  • You can also battle with just friends as well.
  • All of the Ray models return as well as many of the favorite older robos (i.e. Wilson, Tiger Roar, and Annie from V2 return, Zola, Vanessa, Crazy Baboon, Oracle, and Shadow from CR1 return, Glory, Milky Way, Seeker, and Halberd return, and so on). Javelin (a fan favorite), Spear, and Lance (the robos of the 3 Brothers in V2) also return and Spear and Lance can be used as part components in order to make Bayonette. Old characters return as well during the campaign (though Battle Revolution characters might need the whole "Temporal Portal" excuse to get to where everyone else is due to that game being far in the timeline's future or in an alternate timeline [not sure which is which]).
  • Color Costume option is expanded upon from Battle Revolution. Each robo has access to 10 color costumes (Default, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Black, White, and Alternate). Colors are fixed but can be changed via spray-paint cans that are purchasable at the paint shop. Alternate paint is like Killer Instinct's Level 50 colors in the sense that you need to have a good rank to access them. Use a Robo a decent amount of times skillfully and you will obtain the Alternate paint for free. Alternatively, there might be a dealer in the Underground that might be able to sell you the paint for an arm and a leg....
  • With friends, you can choose the Holosseum. With anyone, you have a random choice in the Holosseum you go to. However, Acid Stages are not a part of the random stage selection.
  • All old Holosseums return.
  • New parts and robos.
  • Update the game with some new parts and Holosseums and bonus story arcs to add on to the game.
That's all I can think of right now, but I'll try to think of some more ideas.

I want single player story for a new CR game. CRA style for robos and a more real world look to the humans. I would love it if the real world battles had you actually fight in the same environment that the humans are in. You would have protect your human body while fighting as the robos would harm humans. The game should be flashy like in CRBR as that game is beautiful.

8 players would be cool but they would have to fix the way free-for-alls and teams function as the way they are in CRBR would feel clunky with 8 people.

The gunner subs from GX should come back as an additional part to equip. What do you guys think of new parts for your loadout? I mean like, instead of just gun, bomb, pod it would be gun, bomb ,pod, gunner etc.

Back to Smash.

If Ray gets in, he should definitely get stage rep. What do you guys think a CR stage would be like in Smash?
I agree with you totally about how there should be a single player mode. Battle Revolution's Single Player mode was excellent and I hope they do something similar to that game again. The art style and music in that game was amazing as well. Adding a couple of Side Tournaments ALA GX would be nice as well. I also totally loved the N64 games' atmosphere as well (the music and the environment was pretty good there as well).

As for your "fight in the same environment that the humans are in" idea, you mean add humans on the Real World stages such that if they get damaged, your score goes down and you suffer some mental trauma (i.e. less maneuverability and control over your robo)? That would be an interesting idea. Haven't thought of that before.

Gunners NEED to return. I LOVED using Gunners (as well as Seeker Pod U's and D's) as it made the opponent be more cautious as to how they move around. Plus, they would add variety in movesets.

I also think Chips should return. However, instead of having them change your Melee attack, have them affect minor things like stats. Keep legs for mobility and chips for misc. stuff (i.e. +1 in armor, 110% multiplier for the leg's effect, etc.). Have you only equip 1 chip per robo, but have it such that finding Expansion Packs would allow you to boost the amount of chips you can hold up to 3 (need 2 Expansion Packs to get 3 of them).

8 Player mode in Custom Robo would be chaotic. Plus, locking onto an opponent is confusing due to it being mapped to the Y-Button. In order to get to one player, you would need to cycle through up to 6 other players. That sounds tedious IMHO.

As for the stage (he DEFINITELY needs one) for Smash Bros, he has a ton to choose from. IMHO, I think he should have a stage that appears in all of the games one way or another. So, I'd be down with Basic Stage, Nature Park (technically appeared in GX and one of the Sky Athletic Stages), Future Coliseum/Battlefield: Tomorrow (was Robo's Room in BR), Dark Star, Sudden Death, Gigantix Sprawl, or No Man's Land (which would be too much like FD IMHO). That being said, there are a ton of stages that could also work like Ice and Snow, Magma Hole, Castle Citadel/Keep (either'll do), or Checkmate Foundry that could make for some interesting stages.

Which songs should be included? The entire list of them are in this playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_51OJ7SmCjYTVoGSe0XYXoMyfOlJkJr0

Edit: More related to YouTube than anything else but still impacts the Custom Robo series sorta, but apparently YouTube is making a dedicated portion for gaming known as YouTube Gaming. Basically, think of it as a competitor to Twitch. Sounds kinda uninteresting at first, but then I read something about how over 25,000 games are going to have their own page (this article here: http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-youtube-built-for-gamers.html?m=1 ). You think that Custom Robo will benefit greatly from this due to each game having their own video hub?

Last edited:

Radd

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radd_0
Thanks again! Made a minor edit to the overlay. I'll show you guys a video with it once I translate a video.

As for E3, I cannot wait for it! Hopefully it'll be good this year! Hoping for some more Robot Chicken skits like last year. Those were funny!

As for my idea for a new Custom Robo, I do think that the Multiplayer mode should be a centralized hub similar to Splatoon. However, I do think that there should still be a single player mode (Splatoon had one). However, I do believe that the two modes should be intermixed somehow. But Single Player is a MUST and should not suffer from Multiplayer mode.

I got several ideas on how the 2 can be merged:
  • The Ranking system from Custom Robo Arena returns. You get points for participating in battles. You can earn points by winning single player battles, but you can earn a TON more points through Multiplayer mode.
  • The playable character's gender is able to be chosen (this will be the 1st time where you can be a girl in Custom Robo). Depending on your gender, your 1st robo will either be the newest Ray model or the newest Flare model (I do like the Flare robos to be honest, so why not have them return). Dunno if there should be a clothing element like in Pokemon X and Y and Splatoon, but having one would allow personalization and would be hip with the kids.
  • Regarding parts, you can have multiple of the same part (like in GX). If you have duplicates of a part, you could choose to sell them, trade them with a friend, or use them as components for the new Laboratory feature.
  • Add a Laboratory feature that allows you to merge parts in order to make new parts (thanks to Robo Doc from V2). For example, you could merge a Gatling Gun with a Right Arc Gun to create the Right Pulse Gun or a Meteor Gun with a Blade Gun to get a Sword Storm Gun. In addition, once you progress further in the game, you can earn blueprints that teach you recipes (you can still make the parts without the blueprints, but you won't know what the parts will make until the blueprints for the new part is created). Blueprints are able to be earned through Single Player mode or via Multiplayer mode as a random drop. Illegal parts will be able to be made via this mode once you obtain a key item in the future.
  • Make the new Ray and Flare models special in the sense that they can be changed into one of 5 Robo Styles: Jumper, Power, Normal, Speed, or Armor. They are separate from the standard Shining Fighter and Aerial Beauty robos (like how the other Ray models in Arena were in a separate tab from the 3 main Shining Fighters). For example, you obtain (and I'm making these names up) Gamma Ray or Solar Flare when you start the game. When you unlock the Laboratory feature, Robo Doc gives you the choice of adding 2 out of 4 possible upgrades (legs for speed, thrusters for jumper, arms for power, or torso for armor) for +2 in 2 (for a total of +4) or improving 4 stats by +1. Once you make your choice, you receive a new Solar Flare model based on the parts you choose. You can purchase more Gamma Rays and Solar Flare robos in the future. Here is a list of the names I though of for each variation:
  • Parts are also purchasable through shops using in-game currency (obtainable in Single Player and Multiplayer modes). There are 8 shops total: Robos, Guns, Bombs, Pods, Legs, Holosseums, Dioramas, and Chips (a returning/new feature). These shops will have more parts available once you get a higher rank. Not all parts are available via the parts shop, however. Some will need to be made via the Laboratory. There is also an Underground Shop that allows for the purchase of Illegal Parts.
  • The Ultimate Battle Fortress/Dungeon Battles from GX/Arena returns after beating Single Player mode's campaign.
  • Chips return from Custom Robo GX. However, instead of them being Action Chips, have them be Support Chips. They are used to give a passive effect like changing stats or modifying aspects of parts (i.e. multiply effect of leg parts by 115%). Each robo can equip 1 Chip total, but winning Expansion Packs (via various means) allows you to add more chips (up to 3 chips total).
  • Parts are also able to be won from multiplayer matches. If you have a higher rank in multiplayer, you'll be able to obtain better parts.
  • Online multiplayer modes include Traditional 1v1, Battle Royal Matches (ala Battle Revolution), 2v2 Team Battles, Tag Battles (where you can swap robos by pressing the change target button like in V2 and BR), and so on. Maybe include a new mode for online like King of the Hill and have Faction Battles ala Splatoon. Also, one can host tournaments ala Smash Bros (eventually) and Mario Kart 8, but they can choose it to be Round Robin or Single Elimination (might be hard to implement though). One part of online mode bans Illegal/Military parts while another has anything goes. Maybe have a leaderboard mode as well for Ranked Battles as well as a combo board and a Time Attack board for missions.
  • 1st Person mode returns for those who want to use it.
  • Mission Battles return.
  • Local Multiplayer like in the older games return.
  • You can also battle with just friends as well.
  • All of the Ray models return as well as many of the favorite older robos (i.e. Wilson, Tiger Roar, and Annie from V2 return, Zola, Vanessa, Crazy Baboon, Oracle, and Shadow from CR1 return, Glory, Milky Way, Seeker, and Halberd return, and so on). Javelin (a fan favorite), Spear, and Lance (the robos of the 3 Brothers in V2) also return and Spear and Lance can be used as part components in order to make Bayonette. Old characters return as well during the campaign (though Battle Revolution characters might need the whole "Temporal Portal" excuse to get to where everyone else is due to that game being far in the timeline's future or in an alternate timeline [not sure which is which]).
  • Color Costume option is expanded upon from Battle Revolution. Each robo has access to 10 color costumes (Default, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Black, White, and Alternate). Colors are fixed but can be changed via spray-paint cans that are purchasable at the paint shop. Alternate paint is like Killer Instinct's Level 50 colors in the sense that you need to have a good rank to access them. Use a Robo a decent amount of times skillfully and you will obtain the Alternate paint for free. Alternatively, there might be a dealer in the Underground that might be able to sell you the paint for an arm and a leg....
  • With friends, you can choose the Holosseum. With anyone, you have a random choice in the Holosseum you go to. However, Acid Stages are not a part of the random stage selection.
  • All old Holosseums return.
  • New parts and robos.
  • Update the game with some new parts and Holosseums and bonus story arcs to add on to the game.
That's all I can think of right now, but I'll try to think of some more ideas.

I agree with you totally about how there should be a single player mode. Battle Revolution's Single Player mode was excellent and I hope they do something similar to that game again. The art style and music in that game was amazing as well. Adding a couple of Side Tournaments ALA GX would be nice as well. I also totally loved the N64 games' atmosphere as well (the music and the environment was pretty good there as well).

As for your "fight in the same environment that the humans are in" idea, you mean add humans on the Real World stages such that if they get damaged, your score goes down and you suffer some mental trauma (i.e. less maneuverability and control over your robo)? That would be an interesting idea. Haven't thought of that before.

Gunners NEED to return. I LOVED using Gunners (as well as Seeker Pod U's and D's) as it made the opponent be more cautious as to how they move around. Plus, they would add variety in movesets.

I also think Chips should return. However, instead of having them change your Melee attack, have them affect minor things like stats. Keep legs for mobility and chips for misc. stuff (i.e. +1 in armor, 110% multiplier for the leg's effect, etc.). Have you only equip 1 chip per robo, but have it such that finding Expansion Packs would allow you to boost the amount of chips you can hold up to 3 (need 2 Expansion Packs to get 3 of them).

8 Player mode in Custom Robo would be chaotic. Plus, locking onto an opponent is confusing due to it being mapped to the Y-Button. In order to get to one player, you would need to cycle through up to 6 other players. That sounds tedious IMHO.

As for the stage (he DEFINITELY needs one) for Smash Bros, he has a ton to choose from. IMHO, I think he should have a stage that appears in all of the games one way or another. So, I'd be down with Basic Stage, Nature Park (technically appeared in GX and one of the Sky Athletic Stages), Future Coliseum/Battlefield: Tomorrow (was Robo's Room in BR), Dark Star, Sudden Death, Gigantix Sprawl, or No Man's Land (which would be too much like FD IMHO). That being said, there are a ton of stages that could also work like Ice and Snow, Magma Hole, Castle Citadel/Keep (either'll do), or Checkmate Foundry that could make for some interesting stages.

Which songs should be included? The entire list of them are in this playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_51OJ7SmCjYTVoGSe0XYXoMyfOlJkJr0

Edit: More related to YouTube than anything else but still impacts the Custom Robo series sorta, but apparently YouTube is making a dedicated portion for gaming known as YouTube Gaming. Basically, think of it as a competitor to Twitch. Sounds kinda uninteresting at first, but then I read something about how over 25,000 games are going to have their own page (this article here: http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-youtube-built-for-gamers.html?m=1 ). You think that Custom Robo will benefit greatly from this due to each game having their own video hub?
I thought exactly same thing about the Chips, could be a nice idea for competitive matches. I'm with you in mostly except with the Ranking points, I think that each mode (single and multiplayer) should have individual levels
More than 4 robos in a arena sounds like Gotcha Force or LBx for me, not mention that could be very tedious (like 8-players mode in Smash)

Probably the best way to revive the series it's with amiibos or a F2P version with a GOOD marketing, something that Nintendo never made with CR series in Occident

Btw my music list:
-Shippu Robo Kichi
-Exploration theme (a remix of every theme from the series)
-Custom Battle (remix of Regular Battle from CR, Basic from V2, Basic from GX and Basic from Arena)
-Custom Robo Shop
-V2 theme remix (remix of VS selection, Real World, Bokunchi, Exhausted Chammader, Commander-Aim)
-Fukashi theme remix
-Are you ready? theme
-Custom Robo GX remix
-Identity -prologue- (vocal and instrumental....only Japan, sadly)

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I thought exactly same thing about the Chips, could be a nice idea for competitive matches. I'm with you in mostly except with the Ranking points, I think that each mode (single and multiplayer) should have individual levels
More than 4 robos in a arena sounds like Gotcha Force or LBx for me, not mention that could be very tedious (like 8-players mode in Smash)

Probably the best way to revive the series it's with amiibos or a F2P version with a GOOD marketing, something that Nintendo never made with CR series in Occident

Btw my music list:
-Shippu Robo Kichi
-Exploration theme (a remix of every theme from the series)
-Custom Battle (remix of Regular Battle from CR, Basic from V2, Basic from GX and Basic from Arena)
-Custom Robo Shop
-V2 theme remix (remix of VS selection, Real World, Bokunchi, Exhausted Chammader, Commander-Aim)
-Fukashi theme remix
-Are you ready? theme
-Custom Robo GX remix
-Identity -prologue- (vocal and instrumental....only Japan, sadly)
Having Chips as a 6th customization option would be pretty slick in my opinion. Having 1-3 slots of chips would DRASTICALLY increase the amount of combinations that people could make with their robos. Adding a 6th section to parts would be a new way to improve the series.

Yeah, you're probably right about the whole ranking thing being independent between the two modes of play. Some who rocks at abusing AI might not be good at playing against others and vice versa. So, they should be independent from each other.

8 Player battles would be weird in execution due to how Custom Robo works with players always being locked onto each other. They COULD do it so you use the extra triggers (if on the Wii U or New 3ds) or the D-pad (any system) to lock on the person to the left/right of you next target, but that would could cause long ranged players to be more powerful due to being targeted less. Maybe (if talking about the 3ds) have it so you touch the character on the map....? This is a tricky area to tackle....

Nintendo and Noise never properly marketed a Custom Robo game well for some reason. The commercials are kinda hard to find and they made like 1 or 2 commercials per game IIRC. If they want to sell enough copies, they NEED advertising.

Amiibos will be interesting if they choose to go that route, but I'm afraid that some features won't be easily accessible due to scalpers. Maybe include one with the game and then have others available. F2P in the style of the newest Push-Mo title would be interesting actually. Have you try out a portion of the game for free and then see if you like it. If you do, you have the option to purchase the rest of the game for free. As long as they don't do continuous micro-transactions like most Cell-Phone games, I'm fine with it. Pay it once and you're good to go (like that Push-Mo game).

As for music, here are my thoughts:
-Custom Battle (that remix you thought of).
-Exploration Theme (like you thought of as well).
-"Are You Ready?" (remix it a little bit so it's not a 30 second loop [maybe incorporate a bit of what was in the Unused Sound File]).
-"Heaven mixed with Lost World".
-Panic Cube (fine as is).
-A remix of "The Ice of Passion Doesn't Melt" with a bit of "Frozen World".
-A remix of "Dark Lord", "...A Formidable Opponent", "Goliath's Formidable Enemy", and "Unknown Space" mixed together.
-That V2 Remix that you are talking about (though replace "Commander Aim" with "Thoughts of Takuma" and ditch "Real World").
-Remix of "Death Fight" and "Heated Battle" (they sound similar already).
-Marv/Fukashi Theme Remix (bits and pieces of the classic theme with the Arena theme and the upbeat Fukashi theme in GX).
-"Gimmicky Arena" and "Virtual or Reality" remix with a hint of "Against the Bad".
-GX Remix (mix "Sky Athletics" with "Four Heavenly Lords", "Title Theme" (comes 1st), "Robo Center", and "Rivals").
-Whatever the heck the name of the song from this video is called (they never re-used it after the game was released [was used in the E3 trailer though]):

As for Identity -prologue-, AVEX sadly owns those songs (I learned the hard way due to copyright striking), so Nintendo would need permission to use them again.

Found some of the commercials I was talking about:
N64 (thanks to Okami from the reddit page) (2 commercials in 1):
V2 (the reason for the 7 second timer for the tag feature):
GX:
Battle Revolution:
Japanese:
The only English one I could find (supports my point about the series having poor advertising):
Arena:
And there was this other one that ToastyPyre used as a basis for his fanmade trailer for Ray Mk III. Cannot seem to find it.
Couldn't find an English one (also supports my point about lack of advertising).

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I really like the idea of adding support chips to the loadout selection.

I think you should be able to charge attack in the direction your holding the control stick like how you aim pods.

This idea could make guns broken but I think you should be able to actually aim your gun fire. This idea has been mentioned before by someone else.

What do you guys think of mines being another loadout addition? Mines would be set on the ground and would remain there until someone (including the mine layer) entered it's vicinity. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for posting the commercials, @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This .

Radd

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radd_0
Having Chips as a 6th customization option would be pretty slick in my opinion. Having 1-3 slots of chips would DRASTICALLY increase the amount of combinations that people could make with their robos. Adding a 6th section to parts would be a new way to improve the series.

Yeah, you're probably right about the whole ranking thing being independent between the two modes of play. Some who rocks at abusing AI might not be good at playing against others and vice versa. So, they should be independent from each other.

8 Player battles would be weird in execution due to how Custom Robo works with players always being locked onto each other. They COULD do it so you use the extra triggers (if on the Wii U or New 3ds) or the D-pad (any system) to lock on the person to the left/right of you next target, but that would could cause long ranged players to be more powerful due to being targeted less. Maybe (if talking about the 3ds) have it so you touch the character on the map....? This is a tricky area to tackle....

Nintendo and Noise never properly marketed a Custom Robo game well for some reason. The commercials are kinda hard to find and they made like 1 or 2 commercials per game IIRC. If they want to sell enough copies, they NEED advertising.

Amiibos will be interesting if they choose to go that route, but I'm afraid that some features won't be easily accessible due to scalpers. Maybe include one with the game and then have others available. F2P in the style of the newest Push-Mo title would be interesting actually. Have you try out a portion of the game for free and then see if you like it. If you do, you have the option to purchase the rest of the game for free. As long as they don't do continuous micro-transactions like most Cell-Phone games, I'm fine with it. Pay it once and you're good to go (like that Push-Mo game).

As for music, here are my thoughts:
-Custom Battle (that remix you thought of).
-Exploration Theme (like you thought of as well).
-"Are You Ready?" (remix it a little bit so it's not a 30 second loop [maybe incorporate a bit of what was in the Unused Sound File]).
-"Heaven mixed with Lost World".
-Panic Cube (fine as is).
-A remix of "The Ice of Passion Doesn't Melt" with a bit of "Frozen World".
-A remix of "Dark Lord", "...A Formidable Opponent", "Goliath's Formidable Enemy", and "Unknown Space" mixed together.
-That V2 Remix that you are talking about (though replace "Commander Aim" with "Thoughts of Takuma" and ditch "Real World").
-Remix of "Death Fight" and "Heated Battle" (they sound similar already).
-Marv/Fukashi Theme Remix (bits and pieces of the classic theme with the Arena theme and the upbeat Fukashi theme in GX).
-"Gimmicky Arena" and "Virtual or Reality" remix with a hint of "Against the Bad".
-GX Remix (mix "Sky Athletics" with "Four Heavenly Lords", "Title Theme" (comes 1st), "Robo Center", and "Rivals").
-Whatever the heck the name of the song from this video is called (they never re-used it after the game was released [was used in the E3 trailer though]):

As for Identity -prologue-, AVEX sadly owns those songs (I learned the hard way due to copyright striking), so Nintendo would need permission to use them again.

Found some of the commercials I was talking about:
N64 (thanks to Okami from the reddit page) (2 commercials in 1):
V2 (the reason for the 7 second timer for the tag feature):
GX:
Battle Revolution:
Japanese:
The only English one I could find (supports my point about the series having poor advertising):
Arena:
And there was this other one that ToastyPyre used as a basis for his fanmade trailer for Ray Mk III. Cannot seem to find it.
Couldn't find an English one (also supports my point about lack of advertising).
I thought in something like Pushmo as well but Steel Driver could works...but I hope that Nintendo take far away Shuffle micro-transactions and not use it never again

I mistaken about the V2 remix, I want Cyber/Capsule Holosseum instead Real World and I thought in put Commander Aim in the list but I removed it because it's a CR64 theme, not V2 but could also works. Also nice list, even if I never played BR (well, I played it but only day 1 or tutorial), I like the soundtrack (especially Lost World)

Btw....thanks for the BR and Arena commercials! I was looking for these but I never found one until now lol

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Something I found (and it ain't THE best news). Apparently Kenjoh Kohji, the director of the Custom Robo games, retired from Noise about 8 months ago (October 2014). He was with the company for 18 years. Funny thing about him, he used to work for Namco Bandai. He then broke from the company and made Noise. They made some arcade games and then made Custom Robo in 1999. Important thing to note: the games are a HUGE hit in Japan. In order to find information about Custom Robo in Japan, you gotta use this keyword: カスタムロボ. That's Japanese for Custom Robo. As you can see, there are tons of videos on YouTube and articles on Google if you search those sites with that keyword. That's how I get my information about the series as well as official renders and song names and stuff.

Anyways, here's the tweet:

Which roughly translates to (I'm paraphrasing at this time):

This time, I have just retired from Noise Inc (from the Representative Director, this was from a while ago). I was enrolled for 18 years at the company ever since it was launched, but I'm going to continue to explore in the future on a new road. For the time being, I (or we, not sure) wanted to do it at a leisurely pace (or something to that effect).

They can get a new director for the series, but it does kinda hamper the chances of a new game SORTA as the original creator is not with Noise anymore. They could get a new director for the games, but Noise is a pretty small developer company. There are 20 employees total as of November 1st, 2014 (2 Directors, 2 Planners, 9 Programmers, 6 Designers, and 1 Public Affairs person). So, they would probably need to do a partnership with Nintendo to get the resources needed. Well, that and Nintendo probably owns part of the Custom Robo trademark. That being said, creators sometimes move away from their original work. Take Sakaguchi for example. Created the Final Fantasy series. Left the company around 2004. There are still Final Fantasy games being made. Keiji Inafune also left Capcom. He co-designed Mega Man (along with Akira Kitamura) and made the Onimusha, Lost Planet, and Dead Rising series. Mega Man got into Smash Bros. So, having the creator leaving your company doesn't mean that your character cannot get into Smash Bros. and that the series will die. It just means that you need to work around it.

Anyways, if you wanna ask him any questions, you can tweet him using Google Translate's Japanese mode. Seems like a pretty swell guy from what I could read from the auto-translator I use.

I thought in something like Pushmo as well but Steel Driver could works...but I hope that Nintendo take far away Shuffle micro-transactions and not use it never again

I mistaken about the V2 remix, I want Cyber/Capsule Holosseum instead Real World and I though in put Commander Aim in the list but I removed it because it's a CR64 theme, not V2 but could also works. Also nice list, even if I never played BR (well, I played it but only day 1 or tutorial), I like the soundtrack (especially Lost World)

Btw....thanks for the BR and Arena commercials! I was looking for these but I never found one until now lol
Ah, no worries! Capsule Holosseum (or is it Cyber? I'm not sure. I just named them based on what the filenames I ripped and the playlist of the Custom Robo CD [which explains why some CR1 songs are in V2 {that and V2 re-uses a LOT of CR1's stuff}]) is much better than Real World IMHO. Commander Aim works well as well. :) You had a solid choice in your list to matey! :)

Yeah, as long as they don't go full blown cell phone app style of microtransactions for Custom Robo (Steel Diver and Pushmo 4 style is perfect), I'm fine. Pay it once and you're done (unless if DLC happens).

And no worries mate! Was kinda hard to find them. I know there are a couple more Arena ones though, but I cannot seem to find them (they're hard to find).

I really like the idea of adding support chips to the loadout selection.

I think you should be able to charge attack in the direction your holding the control stick like how you aim pods.

This idea could make guns broken but I think you should be able to actually aim your gun fire. This idea has been mentioned before by someone else.

What do you guys think of mines being another loadout addition? Mines would be set on the ground and would remain there until someone (including the mine layer) entered it's vicinity. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for posting the commercials, @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This .
Chips would revolutionize gameplay IMHO.

As for free aim, maybe limit it to 1st person perspective for that (gotta activate it with a button and then you can aim like the Wii Metroid Primes). This would need to be balanced though by maybe reducing homing. Same with that charge thingy, though it would make some charges more usable like Ray Legends (he goes backwards with his IIRC).

As for mines, I think that if they do appear, make them a subsection to bombs ALA gunners for pods. There are some bombs that are already mines like the Double Mine Bomb. Having that bomb and then a mine loadout would be a BIT redundant. Still, if they were a subset of bombs, it would be an interesting to see how they would work. Could have C4 ones that you set with the R button and then detonate with the R button again.

And no prob! I'll try to find some more information if I can.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
A Ray model Custom Robo would be a good potential fighter to give Custom Robo some attention. I rather see Custom Robo franchise get some notice in Smash again and a playable character would fit. I don't want a Custom Robo Mii costume being the only thing of Custom Robo after plain trophies in Melee and an assist trophy in Brawl with the plain trophy.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
A Ray model Custom Robo would be a good potential fighter to give Custom Robo some attention. I rather see Custom Robo franchise get some notice in Smash again and a playable character would fit. I don't want a Custom Robo Mii costume being the only thing of Custom Robo after plain trophies in Melee and an assist trophy in Brawl with the plain trophy.
A Custom Robo Mii costume would be pretty disappointing. Mii costumes of characters always end up being a bit off.
Although, if they do a Custom Robo x Smash Bros thing and give us several Ray models as Mii Costumes, I wouldn't be too disappointed. At least Custom Robo would be in Smash in some way.
What Mii Gunner set would best represent Custom Robo though? None of the customs are very close to Custom Robo.

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
@ ToastyPyre ToastyPyre I just don't see Mii Gunner costumes working well compared to a playable Ray Custom Robo model. It's one reason I suggested a Ray Custom Robo model as a fighter.

Radd

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radd_0
A Custom Robo Mii costume would be pretty disappointing. Mii costumes of characters always end up being a bit off.
Although, if they do a Custom Robo x Smash Bros thing and give us several Ray models as Mii Costumes, I wouldn't be too disappointed. At least Custom Robo would be in Smash in some way.
What Mii Gunner set would best represent Custom Robo though? None of the customs are very close to Custom Robo.
Probably Little series (Sprinter and Raider like Robin or Bit) could work like Mii costumes or at least would be more decent than a Ray model
Don't lose the hope, remember what Sakurai said some days ago "Smash bros is not for promote future releases in Nintendo, it's for celebrate it"

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Probably Little series (Sprinter and Raider like Robin or Bit) could work like Mii costumes or at least would be more decent than a Ray model
Don't lose the hope, remember what Sakurai said some days ago "Smash bros is not for promote future releases in Nintendo, it's for celebrate it"
I could see Bit being a Costume for Mii Gunners. It's a fairly popular Little Sprinter that appeared in 3 out of 5 titles (the highest amount of appearances for a single robo [tied with many others like Ray and Metal Bear]) and has a simple design, so I can see it being a costume.

And I have to agree with you (and Sakurai) about the purpose of Smash. I love Smash Bros because it celebrates the history of Nintendo and video gaming while having great gameplay. Not many games do both at the same time.

But seriously, I do think that Smash does focus on celebration more than advertisement (that being said, there were instances where Smash was used to advertise future games like Roy in Melee or Wooly World in Smash 4). That's why we get inclusions like Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Little Mac (though he also had a great following in the West), Mega Man (popular as well), Mr. Game & Watch, and Pac-Man (though it was also likely due to a partnership deal between Nintendo and Bandai Namco as they helped make the game). Plus, Balloon Fight, Wrecking Crew, and Duck Hunt appeared as new stages and G&W's stages returned and got merged together.

I do think that some more franchises do need to be represented with characters. We did gain 9 new franchises and lost 2 franchises when looking at playable character representation total, which brings us to a total of 26 playable franchises. I believe we can have more than 26 franchises being playable.

Edit: Made a Spreadsheet on Google Docs that illustrates the series representation for Characters, Stages, Trophies, ATs, Music, and Stickers. Feel free to check it out if you wanna see a good view of how different game series got represented in Smash: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cqZsY40kLuooWT09PILjDhOOs4WCFc_BT0uaaMC9uN0/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to let me know if I am missing anything.

Edit (again): Found this (slightly) old board that had some interesting Amiibo ideas for a new Custom Robo game. Feel free to give it a look if you wanna: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=937123

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I found some TAS speedruns of Custom Robo Arena by Terrotim.

Here is the link. LINK

@ ToastyPyre ToastyPyre

On the main page, you should add the commercials for the CR games. If you do include the commercials, be sure to just have their URL links instead of their picture.. The main page already takes awhile to load on some my devices. Sorry I did not tell you where you should put the links, I figured you would know where to put them to make them look good as your layout choices are already great.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hey guys, I've been thinking about the 5 part system that Custom Robo has been known for and about how Pods received Gunners as a subsection. Do you guys think that guns should be expanded upon and have it split into guns and melee weapons (i.e. Lances, Shields, etc.) and have bombs be split into bombs and mines (expanding on @ Zach777 Zach777 's mine idea)? That way, it would be Robo, primary weapons (guns/melee), explosives (bombs/mines), subweapons (pod/gunners), and legs (and then maybe add that chip idea). This would change things up a bit for Custom Robo as the games always had guns and bombs. Would having melee and mines be a good addition or would they be unnecessary? Please let me know your thoughts.

I found some TAS speedruns of Custom Robo Arena by Terrotim.

Here is the link. LINK

@ ToastyPyre ToastyPyre

On the main page, you should add the commercials for the CR games. If you do include the commercials, be sure to just have their URL links instead of their picture.. The main page already takes awhile to load on some my devices. Sorry I did not tell you where you should put the links, I figured you would know where to put them to make them look good as your layout choices are already great.
Commercials wouldn't be a bad idea. The Japanese ones for the older games (especially the 1st game) really do show off the action quite well.

Last edited:

Radd

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radd_0
Guys, I found some cool art of Ray by a Japanese artist.

Yeah, there's a few of fanarts but mostly come from japanese, long time ago I found some others when I searched in google images with the japanese name (カスタムロボ) but...there are some lews pics (especially one)

Probably this one it's the best fan art that I seen

I couldn't see the image until I started replying to ya.

Looks great! Wonder what kind of art-style this would classify under. Realism?

Found some other fan-art stuff on this page: http://www.iroira.com/crobo.html

And there's a decent amount of stuff on Deviant Art like this picture:
I saw this pic many times in 4chan. It's pretty good

Btw, I don't know if you guys know about this channel but I'll post it anyway
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt3c8S7MyhfD41JYQpJTjBA

Apparently it's a japanese group that upload some competitive matches from local tourneys of V2 but also it seems that some of these videos are just friendly matches

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah, there's a few of fanarts but mostly come from japanese, long time ago I found some others when I searched in google images with the japanese name (カスタムロボ) but...there are some lews pics (especially one)

Probably this one it's the best fan art that I seen

I saw this pic many times in 4chan. It's pretty good

Btw, I don't know if you guys know about this channel but I'll post it anyway
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt3c8S7MyhfD41JYQpJTjBA

Apparently it's a japanese group that upload some competitive matches from local tourneys of V2 but also it seems that some of these videos are just friendly matches
Dang, that's a REALLY nice drawing of Swift using the Flame Gun. I wish I could draw like that! Man, there's a TON of good fan-art on the web for the series.

Also, thanks for the awesome channel mate! It seems as though it's the equivalent of Smashtournaments and VGBootcamp for Custom Robo.

I guess V2 is Japan's choice for the competitive game due to the wider assortment of robos and parts it has when compared to Battle Revolution (which I can see [I personally believe V2 has the best gameplay and parts selection/balance of the series and that Battle Revolution has the best Single Player mode and graphics/other stuff, so they are tied for my favorite Custom Robo game]). Looks pretty exciting overall! :)

I would do anything for localizations of the 1st 3 games personally. If they did, then the series can be brought to more people and maybe we can have more of a scene like Japan is experiencing in those videos that the channel is posting.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
So are you guys going to buy LBX (game that's basically kinda like Custom Robo)? Just wondering.
I will be purchasing LBX. Even though it lacks a WiFi mode and is a localization of a several year old 3DS title (from what I heard), the gameplay looks solid and it has some interesting design choices. Still, it doesn't replace my desire for a new Custom Robo game. It does give me some ideas on how to improve the series, but it doesn't replace the series.

Radd

Smash Rookie
NNID
Radd_0
Dang, that's a REALLY nice drawing of Swift using the Flame Gun. I wish I could draw like that! Man, there's a TON of good fan-art on the web for the series.

Also, thanks for the awesome channel mate! It seems as though it's the equivalent of Smashtournaments and VGBootcamp for Custom Robo.

I guess V2 is Japan's choice for the competitive game due to the wider assortment of robos and parts it has when compared to Battle Revolution (which I can see [I personally believe V2 has the best gameplay and parts selection/balance of the series and that Battle Revolution has the best Single Player mode and graphics/other stuff, so they are tied for my favorite Custom Robo game]). Looks pretty exciting overall! :)

I would do anything for localizations of the 1st 3 games personally. If they did, then the series can be brought to more people and maybe we can have more of a scene like Japan is experiencing in those videos that the channel is posting.
I love V2, it's my favorite title in the series and I played it many times but I am a truly newbie compared with these japanese
I saw many videos from that channel and these guys are just fantastic, how they choose every parts and how they use it....it's on another level for me lol

So are you guys going to buy LBX (game that's basically kinda like Custom Robo)? Just wondering.
I would but since I finished it in my PSP I don't know, probably I could get it if I find someone with the game (I never played it in multiplayer)
Also I felt the gameplay more like Gotcha Force than Custom Robo. Customization is pretty similar though

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely going to buy it, but after studying the treehouse gameplay it seems very different from Custom Robo in a few ways. A lot less aerial movement, larger stages with less cover, and a more over the shoulder camera perspective.

Also I just found this amazing piece of art for Hadron:
I'm debating on making a Fan art section in the front page, but I'm worried about how it would be implemented and how long it would take to load on certain devices.

Btw, I highly suggest you check out Robopedia. @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This has added heaps of awesome pictures of GX exclusives.

Top Bottom