• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Also, 3 quick questions. I was thinking about one of Ray's potential movesets and was wondering 3 things.
  1. Should Ray be able to borrow charge moves from some of the other robos (specifically the Shining Fighters and MAYBE Wild Soldiers & Strike Vanishers) to help with the physical department (i.e. Ray's Side Smash becomes Glory's/Shade's upwards charge if the stick is tilted upwards, V2 Ray MK II's/BR Ray 01's/Arena Ray MK III's Vanishing Tackle if held sideways, or V2 Ray's/Javelin's Short Range Shoulder Check if held downwards. Also, Ray's dash attack is Sol's/Arena Ray MK II's Sliding Tackle move)? If not, then how should he behave? Borrow some Military-based moves (V2 had you go to Takuma Academy, which is literally a Military Academy for Robo Commanders), Bounty Hunter moves (Steel Hearts), and Police Officer moves (GX and Arena frequently featured the Police and it was implied that the Hero in Arena later joins the police force after the Grudge Matches)? Modify some guns into physical attacks (i.e. Blade Gun for BAIR like someone mentioned in that thread I posted a paragraph ago)? A combination of said techniques?
  2. Should his special moves change if he is in the air like in the games (i.e. Rayfall Gun launches immediately if fired from the air, etc.)?
  3. Should he (if not in Smash 4, then in future titles) have an "Ask a Friend" Smash Taunt on his stage where Harry/Liv/Shinichi/Taihei/Genta/Yusuke and the Heroes' pals chime in about the opponent? I think it would be pretty entertaining honestly (especially if Ernest chimes in once in a while).
  1. While I love physical based characters in Smash rather than projectile ones, I think it would take something away from his uniqueness to give him a lot of physical attacks. I'd love for charge attacks to be implemented, but rather than as attacks, as movement options. So Ray could escape ground combat and get into the air again.
  2. Making the special moves change in the air would be especially interesting, as it would further distinguish Ray's aerial and ground gameplay. The added bonus being, it's true to the game.
  3. The Smash taunt is a bit overreaching. Most game characters featured in Smash have text box conversations in their game so it would be odd if the relatively unknown one got it. I do think the human characters should be represented somehow, as they have all the personality in the CR games. Maybe 8 different Commanders for the costume Alts, to throw the robocube at the start of the battle? I still think the diving animation should be featured in some way. Maybe as a taunt.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
  1. While I love physical based characters in Smash rather than projectile ones, I think it would take something away from his uniqueness to give him a lot of physical attacks. I'd love for charge attacks to be implemented, but rather than as attacks, as movement options. So Ray could escape ground combat and get into the air again.
  2. Making the special moves change in the air would be especially interesting, as it would further distinguish Ray's aerial and ground gameplay. The added bonus being, it's true to the game.
  3. The Smash taunt is a bit overreaching. Most game characters featured in Smash have text box conversations in their game so it would be odd if the relatively unknown one got it. I do think the human characters should be represented somehow, as they have all the personality in the CR games. Maybe 8 different Commanders for the costume Alts, to throw the robocube at the start of the battle? I still think the diving animation should be featured in some way. Maybe as a taunt.
Gotta agree about the preference thing (I'm a Ganondorf main in pretty much all of the games that have him [though I do like the FE characters as well]). But yeah, Ray shouldn't have too many physical attacks. When evaluating my moveset again, I think his forward throw (gonna use CR1 Ray's charge for that), side smash (which can be altered into 3 different moves ala Little Mac [Glory's/Shade's anti-air for up-forward, the Invisible Tackle for side, and some sort of non-mobile one or Ray Legend's one for down-forward), and generic attacks (i.e. ledge get-up, trip get-up, etc) would be enough for physical moves.

I'm thinking about replacing the 2nd Neutral B of my moveset (the Sniper Gun) with the Trap Gun. Creating bullets that remain invisible and stationary would create an interesting situation. Plus, if the player wanted to fire them immediately, they could do the move in the air. So, my custom load-out would be Dragon Gun, Trap Gun, Rayfall Gun for the neutrals. Might re-think the other specials.

When looking at all the other Smash taunts that have conversations in the series (Star Fox series in Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4, Metal Gear Solid series in Brawl, and Kid Icarus Uprising in Smash 4), they all have text boxes within their games. The main difference between the current smash taunts and the possible CR smash taunt is that the Custom Robo series lacks voice acting for the conversations (as Star Fox has the general conversations that the series is known for, MGS has the Codec [stylized after MGS1's Codec], and Kid Icarus Uprising has the general conversations that happen on the bottom screen during gameplay). So, that would be a thing that would hold it back (not the textbox conversations point).

Still, I might think of some conversations if I get some free time. Was thinking about grouping R.O.B. 64 with R.O.B. (based on Zach777's idea), Marv with Wario (both are slobs), Kengo/Melvin and his brothers (Tsurugi and Yaiba) with Greninja (Strike Vanishers' Stealth Dash vs. Shadow Sneak), and Harry with Zero Suit Samus (with Marcia chiming in to provide actually useful tips as well as calling Harry a sleaze like in BR). It's likely never going to happen, but it's a possible idea. Like the Smash Taunts that have text boxes already, the CR ones provide advice in their games as well as in Smash (if they existed, that is).

The commander launching the cube into battle ain't a bad idea either though. I personally was thinking about using the Robo Cannon, but that could work too. Wonder which person would launch which Ray.... I'm thinking the following, but I don't know for sure:
  • Ray: CR1 Protagonist (default name is Kohji like the concept creator as stated by the attract mode of the game). If the 16 costume idea is used, then shades variation can be launched out by Liv.
  • Ray Mk II: CR2 Protagonist (default name is Mazaaki/Masaaki [dunno who that is based on] as stated by the attract mode of the game). Alt could be Arena model (face mask).
  • X-Ray: GX Protagonist (dunno his default name as I don't think the game has an attract mode [does anyone have the instruction booklet? It might say there....]). Alt could be Arena style (without wings and always has face mask on).
  • Ray 01: BR Protagonist (default name is Keiji like the scenario mode director as stated by the Japan only intro). Alt could be Ray Warrior.
  • Ray MK III: Arena Protagonist (dunno his default name as the name is never stated in the attract mode [anything in the instructions booklet?]). Dunno what the alt would be.
  • Ray II Dark: Doppelganger. If alt costume idea is used, have V2 Ray II Dark (no shades) be sent out by V2 Doppelganger while Arena Ray II Dark (shades) is sent out by Arena Doppelganger.
  • Ray Sky: Either GX Protagonist or Eiji, the developer of AIRS in GX (never used Ray Sky though). Alt would be AIRS.
  • AIRS: Eiji (or maybe Stark). Could act as alt to Ray Sky.
  • Ray Legend: The Hero's Father, but I don't know how that would work as he is dead. Maybe have it operate like during the Z Boss Tournament and have an AI program fight in his stead. Acts as separate slot.
  • Ray Warrior: I GUESS BR Protagonist, but I don't know for sure. Could act as Ray 01's alt.
So, the costume and character set-up would be the following:
  • CR1 Ray (CR1 Protagonist). Alt: Arena Ray (Liv).
  • V2 Ray MK II (V2 Protagonist). Alt: Arena V2 (Arena Protagonist).
  • X-Ray (GX Protagonist). Has wings instead of pods. Alt: Arena X-Ray (Arena Protagonist). Lacks wings and always has face mask on.
  • Ray 01 (BR Protagonist). Alt: Ray Warrior (BR Protagonist).
  • Ray MK III (Arena Protagonist). Alt: Dunno. Maybe a re-color or something. Still controlled by Arena Protagonist.
  • Ray Sky (probably GX Protagonist). Alt: AIRS (likely Eiji).
  • Ray II Dark (Doppelgangers). One would be V2 (re-color of V2 Ray MK II), the other would be Arena (shades).
  • Ray Legend (Hero's Father's AI I guess [maybe show the speaker box]). Alt: Recolor or something I guess.
Any suggestions regarding costumes and their character?

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Hey guys, I just made this! Feel free to use it if you want!

View attachment 61921
Thanks mate! Added to my sig!

Edit: Might need to shorten my sig. It's getting cluttered.

Edit #2: Well, managed to start the ripping process of the Japanese version of Battle Revolution. There are some slight differences with the American version.

Some things I noticed already:
  1. The game doesn't autosave in the Japanese version. Instead, it prompts you if you want to save at said spots like in the N64 games. I wished this feature came over to the USA as an option or something.
  2. Ernest (Arnest in Japan according to some textures) has a TON of alcohol in his office. You know those boxes in his corner? Alcohol. You know that multi-level shelf? Alcohol is on a ton of the shelves. Salt and pepper shakers? Wine bottles. So, censoring definitely occurred between the two games.
  3. Models are slightly different for some characters. The only difference I saw so far was the Hero's scarf being missing from his model. There might be others though as I only got Day 1 done.
  4. Portraits are mostly the same. However, there are some exceptions:
USA:

Japan:
Hero (Smart Alec).png

I only saw differences with the Hero (just this example), Harry (2 images are different), and Roy (1 image is different).

And that's all I have noticed so far. I'll post an imgur link for the Japanese portraits as well once made.

Edit #3: Marcia has a Sweatmark portrait and Bogey's portraits are edited globally due his lips (bigger in the Japanese version than in the USA version). Also, he has a sweatmark. Evil and the others haven't changed. And am at tournament day right now.

Edit #4: Delpha in the Japanese version uses Bubble's voice track when speaking. In the USA version, he has that very high pitched and metallic sounding voice track. He also has thicker lips and eye lashes in the Japanese version of the game (when looking at portraits). @Police Tournament right now.

Edit #5: And for those who are curious, the "cursing" that Ernest and Harry do is still censored with symbols. Localization didn't change that.

Edit #6: Sergei is still Sergei and Oboro is still Oboro. I don't really notice any huge name changes for the characters to be honest (besides Ernest becoming Arnest according to some textures and Marcia POSSIBLY being Mashiya, but that's probably the translator acting up).

Edit #7:Train scene information (you know what I am talking about if you played BR):
Train scene was somewhat censored during localization. Something along the lines of "...Ah....Harry...don't touch me....". In the American version, it got changed to "Harry, what do you think you’re doing?" Basically, instead of it being explicit, it became implicit. In my opinion, it was for the better.

Harry's humorous long arms comment still exists though.

And the Outer World ain't different so far.

Edit #8: Probably the translator acting up, but Shiner is Sina. Thing is, the individual letters of his name are "Shea" and "na", so I think the translator dorked up.

Edit #9: Model change for Z Lackeys that were only in Boxers:
And yep! The boxers with hearts are a censorship thing. The "locker room" Z Lackeys only have fundoshi (I ain't linking what it is, but it's basically a more revealing type of underwear) with the Z Logo as well as their headgear on. Kinda got a good laugh outta that.

It's more of a cultural thing than anything. Guess Nintendo was kinda afraid that there might be an angry parent that wouldn't understand the reference. Still, the game is rated T for Teen, so they should be prepared anyways.

Edit #10: Dunno about the bathroom scene. I suspect the "Oh, man! Wash your hands!" phrase MIGHT have been different, but I am not going to indicate one way or another due to the faulty translator.

I personally think the dialogue wasn't edited though. Noise is pretty clean overall when writing their scripts.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Eh, it's not too bad. :) Got the "Enemies Die Instantly" cheat activated so I don't have to worry about having to beat the game without too much trouble during the 6th playthrough. Makes things pretty quick and easy.
I was also quoting the game, lol. I had the same avatar up and I thought I was being clever. Ignore me if you feel otherwise.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I was also quoting the game, lol. I had the same avatar up and I thought I was being clever. Ignore me if you feel otherwise.
Whoops! That flew over my head! Sorry about that!

Continuing on with the things I noticed:

• Melvin is indeed Kengo in this game.
  • Max is indeed Jiro in this game.
  • Final opponent was indeed supposed to be Mammoru (directly stated), but turns into Marv (known as Fukashi). Also, as Gigantron/Dodecane did not exist in USA yet, they changed "Dodecane" with "Giant Can" Robo. So, it was a lost in translation kind of thing.
  • The texture used for the Scenario Mode Holosseum decks seem to match the textures used for "No Man's Land". Just a weird observation I never noticed until now.
  • When you get new parts from the generator, it says "PARTNAME GET!"

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Please forgive my double post infraction, but I just wanted to post a very interesting link. Basically, this document has a list of votes from independent Worldwide, US/Euro, and Japanese polls (not the Ballot). Apparently, Ray (or a Custom Robo in general) got 2nd Place in Japan's Newcomer Poll and 5th Place in Japan's overall desired characters poll. The top 5 for Japan seems to be Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, King K. Rool, and then a tie between Ray and Ridley. This CLEARLY emphasizes the point that I say ALL the time to people that Ray is WAY more popular in Japan than in other areas (due to lack of proper advertising).

Granted, in the worldwide poll, he is 11th place for Nintendo Newcomers and 22nd place overall, but he at least has a good percentage overall! Seeing that we are in the top 25 worldwide and top 5 in Japan shows that there is demand for Ray (or one of the Custom Robos for that matter).

Still, the data doesn't contain ALL of the polls as I didn't vote on some of them. So, you might want to take it with a grain of salt. But know that a decent amount of people want him.

This also proves that Ray has more strength in Japan than in the West when looking at percentages (as if you go by numbers, you can see that not too many Japanese polls were taken). He got ahead of the likes of Isaac, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, and the like, who are considered Juggernauts in the West by comparison. So, the future doesn't look bleak for us at all. :)

We just gotta get some more support. If we can spread the word a bit more, we can definitely get more support overall. That being said, the support we got already (you guys) is pretty awesome already! You guys are awesome and I couldn't have chosen a better thread to be with. :)

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Some people say Ray has a slim chance but literally every player at Smash tournaments I talk to say that Ray is a perfect Smash character. I am floored over the amount of people at Smash tournaments who love the Custom Robo games. To me, Ray has a very good chance at getting in Smash as a playable character. We just need Sakurai to see how much Ray love there is, even here in America.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Some people say Ray has a slim chance but literally every player at Smash tournaments I talk to say that Ray is a perfect Smash character. I am floored over the amount of people at Smash tournaments who love the Custom Robo games. To me, Ray has a very good chance at getting in Smash as a playable character. We just need Sakurai to see how much Ray love there is, even here in America.
Yeah, actually Smash G0d said on VGBC's Stream (I'm a mod in there, if any of you are ever around, say hi!) the other day that they should get rid of Duck Hunt and replace him with Ray 01. He's far more widely known than anyone gives him credit for, and that makes me really really happy.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah, actually Smash G0d said on VGBC's Stream (I'm a mod in there, if any of you are ever around, say hi!) the other day that they should get rid of Duck Hunt and replace him with Ray 01. He's far more widely known than anyone gives him credit for, and that makes me really really happy.
Wow, this is actually pretty surprising (and nice) news to me! Seems like Ray is pretty popular in the competitive crowd!

I do remember seeing a lot of inclusions of Ray in fan rosters and some sort of fake Ray "leak" during the pre-Brawl days as well as several mentions of Ray on YouTube videos like The Quarter Guy (had Ray #4 on his top 10 DLC list) and pizzadudemanguy (had Ray on the Honorable Mention list IIRC). GameXplain also had Derrick Bitner mention Custom Robo on their E3 2014 Predictions Video at one point (I remember commenting about it on this video).

People really do need to give him and the series a bit more credit overall. Sure, he might not be part of a "giga-franchise" like Mario or the Zelda series, but he has a pretty good following nevertheless for those who played the games.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ray might be popular but there needs to be more demand for him. Going off of fan polls, Ray is still pretty low compared to some other characters.
He's top 5 in Japan I believe. Or he was at some point recently. And we're seeing more supporters all over in the US, people just don't seem to be saying much about him on forums.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Ray might be popular but there needs to be more demand for him. Going off of fan polls, Ray is still pretty low compared to some other characters.
That's true regarding the US/Euro polls. However, Japan has him in the top 5 or 6 in 2 separate polls (the document I posted here after seeing it on smashboy12's thread and that February-ish poll that was posted here a while ago). Like I mention a LOT, you gotta look at the Japanese polls in addition to the Western polls. 2 separate mindsets.

But yeah, he's kinda low percentage-wise in the West. He's literally the reverse Isaac when it comes down to popularity (Ray is strong in the East while somewhat lacking in the West while Isaac is strong in the West while somewhat lacking in the East [several Japanese polls I saw had Ray/Custom Robo over Isaac]). Coincidentally, both were ATs in Brawl that were cut in Smash 4.

I did notice that there was a lot more campaigning for the more popular characters. I mean, King K. Rool has a website (https://kremlingkampaign.wordpress.com/) and a twitter page (https://twitter.com/BringBackKRool) for example. So, having a social media outlet for Ray (or Custom Robo in general) would help raise awareness overall.

He's top 5 in Japan I believe. Or he was at some point recently. And we're seeing more supporters all over in the US, people just don't seem to be saying much about him on forums.
I have to agree about the whole "more supporters" in the US thing. I've met several people back at college that known about Custom Robo and approved of Ray's inclusion. I mean, one of them even beat me in a match of Custom Robo V2 (granted, I was using Ray with a Sniper Gun while he was using Shadow with a Gatling Gun while on Silver Land, so I was at a disadvantage thanks to the terrain [the snow falls and creates pits once in a while]. I later swapped to Javelin with a Needle Gun and swept his set-up kinda easily on the Bathroom Real World stage). I know that both of them lack Smashboards accounts, so their voices definitely aren't as well known.

Regarding the whole Social Media thing, you guys think that we should use the "Custom Robo Videos" channel as a central hub for Custom Robo gaming and the like (i.e. a Custom Robo equivalent to VGBC or CLASH Tournaments) as well as walkthroughs and parts/set tutorials (i.e. how to maximize the usage of the Dragon Gun, viability of the Diving Pods, why you should try the Short Thrust Legs, etc.)? Maybe even use it as a channel for our campaign? It is growing over time (already got 39 subs and that's just with the music, intros, a commercial, and the GX/CR1 parts).

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If Dolphin would just not crash every 15 minutes, I'd stream the heck out of BR. But Dolphin has had stability problems for me.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
If Dolphin would just not crash every 15 minutes, I'd stream the heck out of BR. But Dolphin has had stability problems for me.
Works for me, but I ripped it from the game. Plus, my laptop has 16 gigs of RAM. Do you have a GameCube and a physical copy of the game as well as a streaming device? Maybe that might work better.

I'd stream, but I lack a good constant internet connection. I'm able to upload and download stuff without issues, but I cannot stream well due to network intensity (at least 5 devices are connected to the web constantly). I CAN however do recordings (currently working on that).

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Works for me, but I ripped it from the game as well as the fact that I have a gaming laptop with 16 gigs of RAM. Do you have a GameCube and a physical copy of the game as well as a streaming device? Maybe that might work better.

I'd stream, but I lack a good constant internet connection. I'm able to upload and download stuff without issues, but I cannot stream well due to network intensity (at least 5 devices are connected to the web constantly). I CAN however do recordings (currently working on that).
I don't have streaming equipment or a gamecube, but I have a physical copy of the game haha. That's the only reason I'm comfortable playing on an emulator. I ain't no thief ;D

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If you got the game, you're legit in my eyes. :)

What are your computer's specs? Maybe that's the thing.
8gb RAM, i7 processor, crappy onboard graphics card. The graphics card isn't the problem. It might be a dedicated video ram problem, which is something I can't fix on Win8. Minecraft had a similar crashing problem. I would have to imagine that it's the issue.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
8gb RAM, i7 processor, crappy onboard graphics card. The graphics card isn't the problem. It might be a dedicated video ram problem, which is something I can't fix on Win8. Minecraft had a similar crashing problem. I would have to imagine that it's the issue.
That might be the case then. I have Win8 as well, but it's probably the amount of RAM. I accidentally pile-drived the backpack that had my laptop in it and the graphics cards came out of it. I shoved them back in and they worked again (somehow). Soooooooooooooooo, I think your money is on the right table when it comes down to diagnosing the issue. I mean, I have 16 gigs and it still slows down somehow at times.

Edit: Kinda realized something right now. We only have 1 character that represents a franchise that debuted on the N64 (Villager as Animal Forest was a 2001 N64 game that later became Animal Crossing for the GameCube) and 5 characters that debuted in an N64 game (Sheik, Ganondorf, Villager, Young Link [Melee only], and Wolf [Brawl only], although the last was going to appear in the cancelled Star Fox 2 for the SNES) throughout the Smash Bros. series. Maybe that could be used as another reason for Ray's inclusion (moreso the former reason than the latter).

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I
how may of us have different forms of the BR hero as our profile pics

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I
how may of us have different forms of the BR hero as our profile pics
Well, he DOES have the best design in my opinion (though the others aren't bad either). :)

CR1 had
, V2 had the middle boy in this picture
, GX had
Hero Render.png
, and Arena had
. BR hero is the oldest of the bunch, so that helps his popularity a bit in the eyes of some. I think the next oldest is GX protagonist, then Arena protagonist, then V2 protagonist, then CR1 protagonist (who is the same age as V2 protagonist by the time V2 comes around I guess) based on the timeline (which is CR1 -1 Year> V2 -3 Years> Arena -1 Year> GX IIRC). BR is either an alternate timeline or decently far into the future (though the whole Rahu incident happened a while ago, so I'm still betting on the whole alternate timeline theory [that and the instruction booklet said the game takes place in a world slightly different from ours while the other games actually take place on Earth]).

But yeah, I
BR Hero's design a TON.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
is a perfect Smash character. I am floored over the amount of people at Sments who love the Cus
Well, he DOES have the best design in my opinion (though the others aren't bad either). :)

CR1 had
, V2 had the middle boy in this picture
, GX had View attachment 62338 , and Arena had
. BR hero is the oldest of the bunch, so that helps his popularity a bit in the eyes of some. I think the next oldest is GX protagonist, then Arena protagonist, then V2 protagonist, then CR1 protagonist (who is the same age as V2 protagonist by the time V2 comes around I guess) based on the timeline (which is CR1 -1 Year> V2 -3 Years> Arena -1 Year> GX IIRC). BR is either an alternate timeline or decently far into the future (though the whole Rahu incident happened a while ago, so I'm still betting on the whole alternate timeline theory [that and the instruction booklet said the game takes place in a world slightly different from ours while the other games actually take place on Earth]).

But yeah, I
BR Hero's design a TON.
Holy ****, that CR/CRV2 boxart!:crazy: SO AWESOME!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
is the best face.

BR's hero is definitely the best design of the heroes. I really don't like the blue haired heroes. They look quite silly ahahaha. I don't mind Arena too much. I do like some of the other characters though.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
is a perfect Smash character. I am floored over the amount of people at Sments who love the Cus

Holy ****, that CR/CRV2 boxart!:crazy: SO AWESOME!
Yeah, V2 had a pretty good art design overall. This one was the design for the "Custom Robo Music Theater" CD that acted like the OST for the N64 games. It has pretty much ALL of the songs from both games (I really cannot think of which ones didn't make it besides the victory themes and the unused track [and MAYBE the title screen songs]). They really liked the flame motif when making V2. :)

is the best face.

BR's hero is definitely the best design of the heroes. I really don't like the blue haired heroes. They look quite silly ahahaha. I don't mind Arena too much. I do like some of the other characters though.
is TOTALLY the best face for any situation.

Yeah, gotta agree with ya about the Hero designs. If I had to rank them, it'd be BR > Arena > CR1 >>>> GX > V2. When regarding the games, however, it'd be BR >= V2 > (slightly) Arena > (slightly) CR1 >>>>>>> GX for me.

Edit: Also, got the Japanese exclusive portraits for BR.

The changes from the two games when looking at just portraits were the following:
  • 5 pictures (2 Harry, 1 Marcia, 1 Hero, and 1 Roy) had modified expressions due to regional differences. It's just a sweat mark kind of thing for all of them. Harry also had more air in his cheeks in this pouting portrait. Probably done because some people wouldn't understand what the sweatmark meant or something (it was back in 2004).
  • Delpha's and Bubble's (Evil's Lackeys) portraits were modified to not have eyelashes (the Japanese version had eyelashes). In addition, Bubble (bulky one with grey hair) had his hand removed from his portrait. Lastly, Delpha (thin one with blonde hair) had his lips removed and was given white teeth. Probably done to avoid any possible type of backlash.
  • Bogey's lips were bigger in the Japanese version, so the localization team reduced their size. Probably was done to avoid any possible backlash.
Anyways, here's the link to the portraits that were only in the Japanese version: http://imgur.com/a/u2E5J

Last edited:

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Harry seems to have put on some weight. Either that or he's trying to win at Chubby Bunny.

It's funny that the Localisation team felt like they needed to remove sweat-drops.
Btw, the localisation team consisted of Rich Amtower, Nate Bihldorff, Tim O'Leary, Norihide Sasaki, Jeff Miller and Leslie Swan. You might recognise some of these names from the Nintendo Treehouse streams.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Harry seems to have put on some weight. Either that or he's trying to win at Chubby Bunny.

It's funny that the Localisation team felt like they needed to remove sweat-drops.
Btw, the localisation team consisted of Rich Amtower, Nate Bihldorff, Tim O'Leary, Norihide Sasaki, Jeff Miller and Leslie Swan. You might recognise some of these names from the Nintendo Treehouse streams.
Yeah, I bet Harry really does like Marshmallows. I kinda do like the USA version of this portrait more though, so it was a good call on the team's part to change it.

Kinda surprised about the sweat-drops though. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga had sweat-drops for some of the characters (i.e. Luigi), so I guess it wasn't a cultural thing. Makes me wonder why they removed it. Maybe they wanted to make BR seem more hardcore (even though the writing is very comical overall for the non-Rahu bits).

The main name I recognize is Leslie Swan. Dunno why, but her name sticks in my head for some reason. Probably because it's an easy (and nice) name to remember. She did a TON of localizing for Nintendo games IIRC (CR, Smash, and a ton of Mario Games after (and including) Super Mario 64). I think she also did voice acting for Peach during the early days as well as Mona from the WarioWare series and the Bottle Ship's P.A. announcer from Metroid: Other M. She and the rest of the Treehouse are very talented IMHO.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Would you say, you
it?

If I had it my way, every-time someone typed 'love', it would instantly turn into that image.
I wish we could get thread specific coding to enable that to happen haha. It would just make me

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I really would like it if they were able to implement the portraits as Smilies somehow. Probably pretty hard to do, but it would be pretty slick if they could do so.

5 questions just popped into my head right now. Feel free to answer any number of them if you want. :)
  1. Favorite game in the series? Why? Any special or fond memories?
  2. Favorite model/class of Robo (i.e. Aerial Beauty, Metal Grappler, Wild Soldier, Misty Mirage, etc.)? You can only choose 1. If you want to elaborate on a specific robo, you can.
  3. What would you title the character boards for Ray if he was successful in getting in? The types of boards would be the following (you don't have to name all of them):
    1. Discoveries/Tricks/ATs (i.e. Ray can cancel his landing lag by air dashing before he lands!!!, etc.)
    2. Social (kinda like how this thread also operates at times)
    3. Match-Up Discussion (i.e. Ray vs. Link)
    4. Matchmaking & Video Thread (place where you post your videos and FC/NNID info for other Ray mains to face against ya)
    5. Q&A (i.e. How can I use Ray's throws effectively?, etc.)
    6. Moveset Data (i.e. Ray's Pummel deals 1% and can be used rapidly, Ray's DAIR has 30 active frames and meteors at a specific hitbox, etc.)
    7. Custom Move Discussion (let's say that he breaks the trend of DLC characters and he gets Custom Moves somehow)
  4. If you were the head designer for the next Custom Robo game, what changes/additions would you make? Basically, how would you design CR6?
  5. What do you love the most about this series? Why?
I'll put my answers in after a couple of responses have been made. I want to hear your opinions 1st (plus I blab a bit too much at times). :)

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I really would like it if they were able to implement the portraits as Smilies somehow. Probably pretty hard to do, but it would be pretty slick if they could do so.

5 questions just popped into my head right now. Feel free to answer any number of them if you want. :)
  2. Favorite model/class of Robo (i.e. Aerial Beauty, Metal Grappler, Wild Soldier, Misty Mirage, etc.)? You can only choose 1. If you want to elaborate on a specific robo, you can.
  3. What would you title the character boards for Ray if he was successful in getting in? The types of boards would be the following (you don't have to name all of them):
    1. Discoveries/Tricks/ATs (i.e. Ray can cancel his landing lag by air dashing before he lands!!!, etc.)
    4. Matchmaking & Video Thread (place where you post your videos and FC/NNID info for other Ray mains to face against ya)
    6. Moveset Data (i.e. Ray's Pummel deals 1% and can be used rapidly, Ray's DAIR has 30 active frames and meteors at a specific hitbox, etc.)
    7. Custom Move Discussion (let's say that he breaks the trend of DLC characters and he gets Custom Moves somehow)
  4. If you were the head designer for the next Custom Robo game, what changes/additions would you make? Basically, how would you design CR6?
I'll put my answers in after a couple of responses have been made. I want to hear your opinions 1st (plus I blab a bit too much at times). :)
I can't answer any of these since I've never played a Custom Robo (I know it sucks).

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I can't answer any of these since I've never played a Custom Robo (I know it sucks).
Eh, no worries mate (though I highly suggest you should try one out [Amazon has used Custom Robo games for a decent price {that's how I got the spectacular N64 titles}])!

How about I ask you these questions instead:
  1. What got you interested in supporting Ray (thank you again for supporting mate! :) )?
  2. If you were given an option to try out one of the Custom Robo games, which one would you try and why? Could be any reason.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Eh, no worries mate (though I highly suggest you should try one out [Amazon has used Custom Robo games for a decent price {that's how I got the spectacular N64 titles}])!

How about I ask you these questions instead:
  1. What got you interested in supporting Ray (thank you again for supporting mate! :) )?
  2. If you were given an option to try out one of the Custom Robo games, which one would you try and why? Could be any reason.
My dad doesn't really like ordering things online so if I do get a Custom Robo, it'll be stumbling across it at my retro video game store.

Yay, questions I can answer!

1. I never heard of the Custom Robo series until Brawl (then again I never really heard of any Nintendo series until Brawl). I saw Ray as an AT and I always thought he was cool but I never really looked into him. Skip ahead a couple of years and now I'm speculating for Smash 4 (before the announcement). Pizzadudemanguy reintroduced me to the idea of Ray in Smash and I looked into his character/series more and I supported him. When Little Mac's reveal trailer came out, I was looking forward to seeing Isaac and Ray (some of the only ATs that should be playable really besides Tingle cuz Tingle's the bomb) but that never happened. Fast forward to the ballot and I got back into supporting Ray.

2. Probably Battle Revolution. I saw some gameplay of it and it looks fun. I don't have a GameCube controller though.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
1. Only ever played Arena, so that's a foregone conclusion.
2. Strike Vanishers. Simultaneously having the coolest name and special ability. Katana has an awesome colour palette.
3. This one required a lot of thought;
1. Robo Cup training: Discoveries, Tricks and AT's
2. Team Numero Uno Clubhouse: Social thread
3. Steel Hearts, Bounty Hunters: Match-up Discussion
4. The Robocenter: matchmaking & video thread
5. Robo Champions: Q&A thread
6. Neobrain Research Lab: Moveset Data thread​
4. I've been playing heaps of Rocket League, so I think the next game should be multiplayer focused, with more free moving controls and online modes. The neon look of the gamecube games would look awesome in HD, and I think Robo fights could be made even better with physics based jetpack boosts.
5. The fact that the customisation drastically changes both the aesthetic and gameplay aspects. Customisation in games often does next to nothing, but Custom Robo's weapons all fired completely differently, and looked extremely unique.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Later I will answer your questions, @ The One Who Wrote This The One Who Wrote This Several days later.

Video Clip collection (Ray videos and critique thread.)

Thought that since CRA had all those videos called video clips, it was fitting.

The Garage (Ray custom Moveset thread)

The garage is where you change the parts for your loadout in CRA, so it makes sense.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I'll respond to all of your responses to the questions soon. Got some finals coming up.
Guys, the new Smashified is out. Let's tweet at @Smashified and ask him to Smashify our beloved Ray! First we should all agree on which mark though.
Agreed. I placed my vote for Ray on both of the YouTube videos. I PROBABLY should get a twitter account though. Hopefully he's chosen soon.

As for the Mk to use, I'm down for any of them. I do have a bias for 01 and Classic, but I'll be happy if ANY of them make it in.

Supposedly they "accidentally" left a frame that shows files for other characters in their videos. Basically Isaac and Krystal are on their way EVENTUALLY. Dunno if it was intentional or not, but they tweeted about it, so I think they accidentally recorded it and then decided to leave it in there.

Bomberman does look pretty slick though. Looks nice!

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Agreed. I placed my vote for Ray on both of the YouTube videos. I PROBABLY should get a twitter account though. Hopefully he's chosen soon.

As for the Mk to use, I'm down for any of them. I do have a bias for 01 and Classic, but I'll be happy if ANY of them make it in.

Supposedly they "accidentally" left a frame that shows files for other characters in their videos. Basically Isaac and Krystal are on their way EVENTUALLY. Dunno if it was intentional or not, but they tweeted about it, so I think they accidentally recorded it and then decided to leave it in there.

And I'll respond to all of your responses to the questions soon. Got some finals coming up.
I didn't see the hint so could you give the time mark for it. Isaac's the next one (basically confirmed since all the hints). I like the MK 3 model mainly because I like its somewhat simple design (simpler than 01) and its also the one they used as an AT in Brawl.

Top Bottom