• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

One of my favorite DS games actually. I learned about Ray through a Melee trophy when I found this and the Gamecube version. I think this series has potential to be the Nintendo Armored Core if it really wanted to be. Though Custom Robo has always been much more simplistic yet elegant in design.

I'd support the hell out of Ray. If it wasn't for No Customs on DLC, Ray would be the PERFECT character other than Palutena or Miis to have completely unique customs. He is a CUSTOM Robo after all. Completely change his moveset like you can in the games, while the base model stays the same (normal attacks, etc.)
Yeah, I really don't like the fact that DLC characters don't get Custom Moves. It kinda limits their potential IMHO.

I do love how everything in the series seems simplistic and deep simultaneously. Individually, the parts have 2 functions each. However, when used in tandem, they offer a very enriching battle system where combinations determine possible combos and attack routes. A Standard Bomb is much different from a Standard Bomb F in application despite both being recolors of each other.

I should try Armored Core sometime in the future. Sounds like it'd be fun. I did play Virtual On once and had a great time with it. I also had fun with Chōsōjū Mecha MG, a great Japanese robotics title (the origin of the Marionation Gear track on Norfair). I seem to like robots in general for some reason (was also a fan of the Power Rangers back in the day and had a TON of fun with the Mega Man games as well).

Holy crap guys! A King K. Rool Mii costume, and a Chrom Costume. https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3f01vs/new_update_110_friday_731/

What a twist! What if Ray is relegated to Mii Gunner status!
Yeesh! That doesn't look too good for King K. Rool. My condolences to his supporters if it turns out that he won't make the cut (I also supported him). That being said, I believe one should never give up on their dreams. It could always be a Meta Knight situation where the costume was shown before the character reveal. Still, I'm going to remain neutral on the guessing field regarding this reveal.

I wouldn't want this to happen to Ray until after his announcement though. It would make me a bit nervous about whether or not he'll make it in. Anything is fair game though.

Supposedly more costumes and features and the like will be revealed throughout the week. It's probably best to wait and see what is said 1st before one rushes to conclusions.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
My heart goes out to K. Rool supporters haha. I know it doesn't really mean anything, but man. That'd bug the heck out of me. Hopefully that didn't happen to Ray.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
So, how are you guys liking the update so far? Anything that stands out for you guys? I'm loving the new Shield Breaking aspect of the Aerial Wizard's Foot a LOT.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
So, how are you guys liking the update so far? Anything that stands out for you guys? I'm loving the new Shield Breaking aspect of the Aerial Wizard's Foot a LOT.
The Black Knight costume looks pretty cool. I always thought Black Knight was cool. That's not really a part of the update but I don't particularly care about the specifics of moves.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
The Black Knight costume looks pretty cool. I always thought Black Knight was cool. That's not really a part of the update but I don't particularly care about the specifics of moves.
I also like the Black Knight costume. Seems pretty cool actually. That (and the other stuff like Hyrule Castle 64) counts as part of the update in my book mate. :)

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think this patch was great outside of some questionable Luigi buffs. He's truly becoming Green Diddy. All of the costumes are pretty fun. Makes me think a Ray Costume could happen. And while I want him to be playable, costumes would be great recognition that he still exists. Gunners have a lot of different options, and while they don't really reflect CR, I do think they'd fit a lot better than nothing.

EDIT: It's be great if they did something like they did with fighting game skins, and released like 3 or 4 different CR Mii Costumes at one time. Since I'm a little convinced Chibi Robo is more likely, there could be a "Robots" package that includes Chibi Robo as playable and like 3 or 4 CR costumes with a new stage. Wishful thinking, I know, but it'd make great sense.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I think this patch was great outside of some questionable Luigi buffs. He's truly becoming Green Diddy. All of the costumes are pretty fun. Makes me think a Ray Costume could happen. And while I want him to be playable, costumes would be great recognition that he still exists. Gunners have a lot of different options, and while they don't really reflect CR, I do think they'd fit a lot better than nothing.
Yeah, sounds like Luigi is doing pretty well overall. Maybe he'll get nerfed in a later update. Who knows? I saw a video that showed that DK can 67%-to-death with up Cargo Throw into Up Air and that Fox has a bigger reflector hitbox or something to that effect. Seems like more buffs than nerfs (and apparently Aerial Wizard's Foot doesn't shatter shields....).

I also do prefer that he'd be playable, but the costume is a good alternative IF he isn't going to make it. I still have my hopes up for Ray as a playable character, but I want at least some representation of the Custom Robo series in SSB4 somehow. But yeah, if we were sure that he wasn't going to make it, then a Costume is a good alternative. Both would be nice though. :)

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Nope. Character or bust. I would be insulted with anything less.

Except maybe a new CR game. That'd be my only forgiveness.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Nope. Character or bust. I would be insulted with anything less.

Except maybe a new CR game. That'd be my only forgiveness.
For me, character and game are equal priority, then costume if nether happen. Thing is, I don't know how the costume would work due to Ray having a bomb part on his left arm (as Mii Fighters use that for grabbing and the like). Soooooo, I think the costume is VERY unlikely at this point.

But yeah, I'd totally prefer having Ray himself playable and having a new game be made.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
For me, character and game are equal priority, then costume if nether happen. Thing is, I don't know how the costume would work due to Ray having a bomb part on his left arm (as Mii Fighters use that for grabbing and the like). Soooooo, I think the costume is VERY unlikely at this point.

But yeah, I'd totally prefer having Ray himself playable and having a new game be made.
Ray IS my most wanted, I'm just saying costumes are a distinct possibility. And as far as the bomb arm thing goes, KK Slider Costume uses a guitar as a gun, so any argument against anything Mii related is instantly an invalid argument, sadly. (I agree that Mii Costume would be inaccurate to source material by a long shot though)

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Ray IS my most wanted, I'm just saying costumes are a distinct possibility. And as far as the bomb arm thing goes, KK Slider Costume uses a guitar as a gun, so any argument against anything Mii related is instantly an invalid argument, sadly. (I agree that Mii Costume would be inaccurate to source material by a long shot though)
Ditto about the whole character/costume thing. Accuracy ain't THE biggest concern for those costumes I guess. I wonder if it would be based on the Ray MK III default set of Ray MK III/Flare Gun/Whatevertheheckitis bomb/Twin Flank Pod G/Formula Legs....

Eh, shouldn't worry about it too much I guess. Just hope for the best and campaign the heck out of Ray and I think we should be fine. :)

I got a question for you guys regarding Assist Trophies. Say if Ray got in as a Playable character and Smash 5 comes around within the next 6-8 years or so. If Custom Robo were to get an Assist Trophy for sure, who would you choose as the AT?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Ditto about the whole character/costume thing. Accuracy ain't THE biggest concern for those costumes I guess. I wonder if it would be based on the Ray MK III default set of Ray MK III/Flare Gun/Whatevertheheckitis bomb/Twin Flank Pod G/Formula Legs....

Eh, shouldn't worry about it too much I guess. Just hope for the best and campaign the heck out of Ray and I think we should be fine. :)

I got a question for you guys regarding Assist Trophies. Say if Ray got in as a Playable character and Smash 5 comes around within the next 6-8 years or so. If Custom Robo were to get an Assist Trophy for sure, who would you choose as the AT?
I would want a bunch of robos to come out using various weapons from the series.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice

But Lloyd Irving is a costume for the swordsman, and he dual wields in his games. Not trying to undermine Ray's chances, but just bringing up a point.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I would want a bunch of robos to come out using various weapons from the series.
So it'd be a bit like the Infantry and Tanks AT from the Wars series?

But Lloyd Irving is a costume for the swordsman, and he dual wields in his games. Not trying to undermine Ray's chances, but just bringing up a point.
Yeah, seems like accuracy doesn't matter too much (though you could say that he dual wields a single blade [Eternal Sword] during Falcon's Crest). Eh, not going to worry about the costume dilemma too much.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
I just want to give a big thanks to everyone involved in this big robo-movement for the Channel and the Wiki. You're all doing gods work, and it makes me a little happy that we have a resource or two to point to people.

I'm also in a scrappy mood, fite me scrubs. My robo-waifu Swift will be your end.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I agree with AceZTeller, the work being put in is really an invaluable resource to us CR people. It's great to have people like you guys that are willing to do all this.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yo dudes and dudettes! Someone made a survey to get a better idea of how we voted on the ballots. If you wanna fill it out, feel free to!

I just want to give a big thanks to everyone involved in this big robo-movement for the Channel and the Wiki. You're all doing gods work, and it makes me a little happy that we have a resource or two to point to people.

I'm also in a scrappy mood, fite me scrubs. My robo-waifu Swift will be your end.
I agree with AceZTeller, the work being put in is really an invaluable resource to us CR people. It's great to have people like you guys that are willing to do all this.
Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words for us! :) We'll get this series revitalized somehow!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Yo dudes and dudettes! Someone made a survey to get a better idea of how we voted on the ballots. If you wanna fill it out, feel free to!

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind words for us! :) We'll get this series revitalized somehow!
I think I know what you're talking about...if what you're talking about is what I think it is, then I just took that survey! And guess who I added as one of my top picks?

You know it!

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
Man, I'm a dummy. I forgot to add the link.

Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ff0gg/worldwide_fighter_ballot_survey_vote_now/

Also, nice choice! I did Ray and then #'s 2-8 on my top 10 list. Still making that sig pic that shows my votes.
I like this poll. A lot of polls on reddit tend to be closed by the time I see them, so it's nice that this one is open for longer, and to a wider audience.
I'm not super hopeful on Ray's position though. The split between those that know Ray 01, or Ray Mk something might lower their position. Hopefully people vote for multiple Ray's.

Also, a sig that features the vote is a cool idea.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
SWF please keep alerting me about the activity here, thank you.

I want Marv as an AT. Marv's abilities as an AT were listed by me a while back here in this thread.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I like this poll. A lot of polls on reddit tend to be closed by the time I see them, so it's nice that this one is open for longer, and to a wider audience.
I'm not super hopeful on Ray's position though. The split between those that know Ray 01, or Ray Mk something might lower their position. Hopefully people vote for multiple Ray's.

Also, a sig that features the vote is a cool idea.
Yeah, that's what I am fearing. There are 10 Ray robos (8 Shining Fighter Rays) total, so the votes will get split between all of them (though Mk III, Mk II, and 01 seem to be the top 3 choices based on the comments that I read on pages). If they grouped them together, then I think Ray would have a higher rating overall.

SWF please keep alerting me about the activity here, thank you.

I want Marv as an AT. Marv's abilities as an AT were listed by me a while back here in this thread.
I remember you mentioning Marv at one point. 'Twas a good idea like Bradli Wartooth's idea.

I'm personally leaning towards Bayonette as an AT, but that's mainly because I like its design.

DeltaLord85

Smash Rookie
Yeah, that's what I am fearing. There are 10 Ray robos (8 Shining Fighter Rays) total, so the votes will get split between all of them (though Mk III, Mk II, and 01 seem to be the top 3 choices based on the comments that I read on pages). If they grouped them together, then I think Ray would have a higher rating overall.

I remember you mentioning Marv at one point. 'Twas a good idea like Bradli Wartooth's idea.

I'm personally leaning towards Bayonette as an AT, but that's mainly because I like its design.
Well, how about we conduct a poll to see who is the most popular Ray robo outta them all. I used the fancy Straw Poll site to create a quick and easy poll to gauge the most popular one outta the bunch. Feel free to share it if you wanna though.

The poll is in this link: http://strawpoll.me/5118582

Oh, and I'm thinking about a Steel Hearts AT personally. Would be cool.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, how about we conduct a poll to see who is the most popular Ray robo outta them all. I used the fancy Straw Poll site to create a quick and easy poll to gauge the most popular one outta the bunch. Feel free to share it if you wanna though.

Great idea! I already know who I'm picking my favorite Ray model...:smirk:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

Sounds like a good idea. I voted already.

Great idea! I already know who I'm picking my favorite Ray model...:smirk:
Ditto mate! It's kinda easy to tell which one I voted for. They're all great robos and I hope that they make it as alt costumes for the Ray robo that makes it in (though I could see Ray Legend and AIRS not making it in due to them being remasterings/recolors of Ray and Ray Sky, respectively).

DeltaLord85

Smash Rookie
Well, looks like the activity on the poll has died down a bit. Ray 01 has 4 points and Ray Mk III has 3 points. Everyone else has zilch. I'm kind of surprised that Ray and Mk II didn't get any votes. Bet they are more popular in Japan.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Well, looks like the activity on the poll has died down a bit. Ray 01 has 4 points and Ray Mk III has 3 points. Everyone else has zilch. I'm kind of surprised that Ray and Mk II didn't get any votes. Bet they are more popular in Japan.
I personally think 01 had the best and most complex design. He'd also look the best in HD because his design isn't as simple. Most of the Ray models share a common theme of simplicity when it comes to colors and various paint designs and intricacies.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that Mk II didn't get any votes. He was the 1st USA Ray due to Melee and was the 1st playable robo in Arena. Plus, he has a pretty appealing design overall.

That being said, I did vote for 01. ALWAYS loved using him in BR and Arena.

I personally think 01 had the best and most complex design. He'd also look the best in HD because his design isn't as simple. Most of the Ray models share a common theme of simplicity when it comes to colors and various paint designs and intricacies.
Gotta agree with you about 01 in HD. He'd look great in 1080p if textured properly. The other Ray models would look good as well, but Ray 01 would look pretty amazing due to his design being pretty complex and colorful. Plus BR styled blasts, bullets, effects, and pods would look the best in SSB4 (especially the sparks generated when running with the Formula Legs or Raven Legs). That being said, I do hope all of the main 5 plus Sky, Warrior, and Dark make it as costume swaps. That way, all of the non-color swap/re-imagined robos are represented somehow. That way, fans of V2, Arena, BR, GX, and Classic are all happy. :)

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
If any Robo other than Ray actually had a chance at being in, (As in I could vote for any Robo and have confidence that it could happen) I'd vote for Bit or Apollo. But with Ray being the flagship Robo, he's the only one worth voting for.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
If any Robo other than Ray actually had a chance at being in, (As in I could vote for any Robo and have confidence that it could happen) I'd vote for Bit or Apollo. But with Ray being the flagship Robo, he's the only one worth voting for.
The non-Ray robo I'd vote for would be Javelin. I have ALWAYS been a big fan of him throughout the years for some reason. His design has been pretty slick overall.

UniversalGuardian

Smash Rookie
I can't but wonder who's being developed. I mean K. Rool and Chrom are costumes. Ray01 (or any of the Ray Models) seems like a pretty reasonable guess as newcomer at this point. Though DK might have a different rep.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Yeah, I think the characters who will stay costumes are Chrom and Lloyd. K. Rool still seems very likely as a full blown character. Tbh all I see the costume for K. Rool as is a sign the Nintendo still know he exists. Hopefully that Japanese crowd comes in the clutch and helps Ray become Rayality (huehue).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah, I think the characters who will stay costumes are Chrom and Lloyd. K. Rool still seems very likely as a full blown character. Tbh all I see the costume for K. Rool as is a sign the Nintendo still know he exists. Hopefully that Japanese crowd comes in the clutch and helps Ray become Rayality (huehue).
DEM PUNS!!!

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
You guys realize there's no Custom Robo trophies or anything in Smash 4? Like, nothing. At all.

Makes me question if Nintendo still has a grip on the series or not.

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
You guys realize there's no Custom Robo trophies or anything in Smash 4? Like, nothing. At all.

If by grip of the series you mean whether they still own it or not, then I'm pretty sure they joint own it with NOISE. The creator tweeted this:
Which says as much (if google translate can be trusted).

If you mean whether they still remember it or not, your guess is as good as mine. I think it's not featured in Smash 4 because Sakurai seemed to focus more on new games this time around.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
If by grip of the series you mean whether they still own it or not, then I'm pretty sure they joint own it with NOISE. The creator tweeted this:

If you mean whether they still remember it or not, your guess is as good as mine. I think it's not featured in Smash 4 because Sakurai seemed to focus more on new games this time around.
Makes sense. Series like Custom Robo and Golden Sun kinda seem to be dormant, thus in "representational" limbo. Because they're not real old but not super new either. So maybe Sakurai didn't give them consideration.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I can't but wonder who's being developed. I mean K. Rool and Chrom are costumes. Ray01 (or any of the Ray Models) seems like a pretty reasonable guess as newcomer at this point. Though DK might have a different rep.
I wonder as well (though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't develop any of the Ballot Characters yet due to the Ballot not being over with yet).

Regarding the whole costume situation, I'm neutral. Costumes COULD mean that the character is axed from the ballot. But costumes could also not make a difference in whether or not a character gets in or not. I ain't going to fret over it though. :)

We DEFINITELY realize the fact that Custom Robo has no trophies in SSB4 (in fact, I made a spread sheet showing how franchises were represented as Trophies, Stickers, Songs, and so on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...o9dBbXTMigoaoT5eP7pH8Yl7A4/edit#gid=791861928). Thing is, there weren't any Street Fighter Trophies before Ryu was added to the roster. Roy also didn't have any trophies before he was included as DLC. Not having a trophy doesn't mean that the character or franchise doesn't have a shot at getting included.

Like ToastyPyre said, Nintendo and Noise joint own the series. Think of Noise and Custom Robo as something similar to GameFreak and the Pokemon IP in how stuff works.

If you mean remember or not, I doubt they forgot it (at least NoJ didn't forget it [read some articles that had Noise and MAYBE Nintendo people asking Kohji why he hasn't decided to make a new game in the series yet before he retired {to which he responded something about not knowing how to advance the series [posted the source earlier in this thread]}]). The newest CR game (Arena) came out in 2006/7 while Brawl came out in 2008. As there weren't any new titles after Brawl but before SSB4, Sakurai likely decided that new CR stuff wasn't really needed and focused more on new games. Oddly enough, some series who had new games between Brawl and SSB4 didn't get a trophy at all (like Golden Sun [though they did get a new song on Palutena's Temple]). So, it's pretty unknown what their mentality is at the moment.

That being said, CR did get a BOATLOAD of stuff in Brawl (3 Trophies, several stickers, and an Assist Trophy) and a decent amount of stuff in Melee (3 Trophies), so I think the main reason why CR didn't get any new stuff in SSB4 is because there weren't any new games made for the series after Brawl. The last game was somewhat recent, so it can't be considered retro either. So, it is kinda in a limbo as you say. Still, I did read one Japanese poll that had Ray as the #5 most wanted DLC character (right behind K.Rool and tied with Ridley), so the series ain't dead to the fans.

The main 2 reasons why I am supporting Ray are to have him become a playable character in Smash (obviously) and to use Smash Bros. as a way to re-invigorate the series. If Nintendo sees that enough people voted for Ray (or any Custom Robo really), they might be inclined to make another Custom Robo game with Noise due to the demand for the character. Then again, Ray could suffer the Captain Falcon treatment and be forever known as a character whose next game will always be a Smash Bros. game. It's a risk I am willing to take to help re-invigorate the series. :)

ToastyPyre basically nailed it on the head with that Kohji Tweet.

UniversalGuardian

Smash Rookie
I wonder as well (though I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't develop any of the Ballot Characters yet due to the Ballot not being over with yet).

Regarding the whole costume situation, I'm neutral. Costumes COULD mean that the character is axed from the ballot. But costumes could also not make a difference in whether or not a character gets in or not. I ain't going to fret over it though. :)
Well really I feel that the costume was likely a direct response to K. Rool's popularity. For some time he had been a requested character, even going back Pre-brawl days if I remember correctly. And there's Chrom who was probably the most expected Newcomer from FE too. Idk but it makes me think if K. Rool is just a costume, who's going to be actually playable. It gets me impatient to know.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Well really I feel that the costume was likely a direct response to K. Rool's popularity. For some time he had been a requested character, even going back Pre-brawl days if I remember correctly. And there's Chrom who was probably the most expected Newcomer from FE too. Idk but it makes me think if K. Rool is just a costume, who's going to be actually playable. It gets me impatient to know.
I have to agree with you there. I'm kinda curious about the characters that they are working on. I really hope that there are a ton of newcomers. Having a lot of them encourages people to try out Smash Bros. due to the new ways to play the game.

Top Bottom