• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con Announced!

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
All these PM crybabies...

Sometimes, it is what it is. Get over it. Either that, or confront Nintendo. Be rebellious. See what happens. But they have more power, and it's really not worth it when you can easily just keep grassroot PM tournaments. Create your own Apex level event for PM and have fun. No one is stopping you.

SmashRayner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CJallen3
it's not like they said there isn't gonna be pm
I'm a pm player but this doesn't piss me off
They'll announce whether or not it's gonna be there
be patient, my friends
we stil have a chance

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
If they had a thriving tourney scene, yes. You can't get mad at people for not supporting other games, then call Project M "not a real game" and "stop being salty" and other condescending crap just because your game isn't hurt. One units fine and all until it potentially hurts your game, then screw them who cares they are just whiny entitled people...
Sure I can. They're all the same basic thing: a mod. Obviously Project M is bigger than any other Smash mod, but I don't see it as fair for people that play it to treat it as if it's the only one that exists.

If we're going to allow mods at an event like this, then Project M players shouldn't be upset JUST BECAUSE their favorite meta isn't there, as there are others in existence that have a sizable following, most notably being Brawl Minus. This is especially relevant with Brawl's scene being on the brink of death -- a scene of an official retail game.

I don't have anything inherently against mods being at this event, but the outrage about only one of them not making it in is selfish & pretentious.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Hey, if you wanna try to get PM, get Brawl minus too. Don't try to pull that #oneunit stuff for a mod but still ignore another.

Last edited:

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually excited about this con, as I do live near Suffolk.

As this salt continues, I wasn't surprised that there's going to P:M salt at all, but they can let out their frustration about no P:M. We can't do anything about it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Warning Received
Sweet no PM, no more cancerous pretend smash game

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ ◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ ◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Project M players should get mad because their favorite game isn't there. Why would they get upset if a game they have never played wasn't there. Feel sorry for, yes, but if they have never touched the game how do you expect them to care.

The outrage isn't totally warranted though. Project M had a huge year last year, only to be hidden away from view without being told why. The only logical reason is Nintendo's involvement, a deal they get no benefit from. So pardon them if they are frustrated that supposed leaders of "the community" disregard a big portion for the benefit of themselves and others.

I would say that they at least have a reason, where the other half of the thread doesn't. "so glad they didnt include the mod in this con. only REAL smash games should be included.", and comments like it don't make any sense. Unlike PM supporters, the only "injustice", if you will, was people whining in the comments section. Not putting 100s of hours making a mod because Nintendo won't give us the sequal to our game, only to be rejected for money. So while there are a bunch of whiners and they are only doing it for their game, the other half is much more baseless.

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
@HydreigonMuppetMaster

Quoting system got messed up so I tagged your name instead.

Right right huh, and isn't it hysterical how the game is still seen higher than Smash-4. Aside from the the Smash-4 fans, everyone else still enjoys Brawl and knows the game would have the closet limit to a somewhat technical and pretty balanced character roster. if Nintendo throws out Snake, Falco, Olimar, Ice climbers, and Metaknight then the problem is pretty much over. As for some we don't find it a big deal because, we know how to work around the situation; But that's the problem only the minority speaks rather than the majority. So baby tantrum complaints will forever win. Though I wouldn't bask in the glory with Smash-4, a lot of players just left Smash-4 and returned back to PM, or Melee which is fine by me as long as no Smash-4

Last edited:

RedRengadeYo

Smash Rookie
I would go if it weren't for the fact that I live in a small city in canada and have no money to travel. ;-;

Phirmth

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2578-3277-6156
Okay there is no way the powers that be behind this event didn't think the exclusion of PM would cause controversy.
Listen, a lot of people are already assuming Nintendo has a hand in this, and with good reason. It's hard to imagine that community leaders have the kind of money an event like this would require just lying around. So why not just lead off with the Nintendo sponsorship? Just right off the bat? And if they don't want you announcing it just yet, hold off on the announcement. Or just accompany the announcement with a statement of your own specifically regarding PM and where it stands. If it's undecided, tell us. If it's not going to happen, tell us. Jebailey told us what was up with PM at CEO right off the bat. People are going to blow up, they always blow up, but at least have some measures in place for when they do. Don't leave us in the dark by just ignoring the problem, this is the whole reason the Apex lineup announcement was the ****show that it was.
I'm not saying Nintendo is the reason for Smash 4 vs PM being a thing. People are going to be salty and immature and flamebaity no matter what. I'm saying the lack of transparency that's entered the scene isn't helping.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Obviously there is a split in the communities. PM is one of the biggest offenders in causing such splits. It used to pretty much Melee and Brawl but then PM showed up and started abducting players of both games to their new mod that is supposed to be the real sequel to Melee. Its whole existence is an insult to Melee and Brawl.
It's PM's fault people are split? Its whole existence is an insult to Melee and Brawl? Man, I know you've always had this vindictive axe to grind against PM, but do you realize how ridiculous you sound here?

It's a game people enjoy playing, and there wouldn't be any split or drama if we could continue playing it at tournaments. Things were pretty peaceful last year when Melee, Brawl, and PM all had representation at majors. PM didn't do anything to cause any of this. It's utterly ridiculous to blame PM for the fact that other people are trying to kill its scene.

And you can't point fingers when you're the one bashing on other games and their communities, go look in the mirror. Toxic attitudes like yours are the real problem here.

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
I made a little something to commemorate this... comment section:

Don't get me wrong, I like Project M, and it's good enough as to be a real Smash game, but, despite it being unrelated to this article, controversy over it has completely and utterly consumed the discussion. Is this really necessary?
And there's also VGBootcamp's involvement. I don't know how involved they are beyond streaming, but they have already given an explanation for not officially doing things with Project M anymore, so...

Tankster

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely like to go there for my first tournament. I'm excited hearing about this.

Just out of curiosity and to stick up for a community I'm not even in, what about Project M?

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Project M players should get mad because their favorite game isn't there. Why would they get upset if a game they have never played wasn't there. Feel sorry for, yes, but if they have never touched the game how do you expect them to care.
I never said they shouldn't feel disappointed, or anything, I just said that they're being selfish about it because they act like Project M is the only Smash mod. They act as if Project M is the only mod WORTHY of being accepted -- and I suppose to a degree it makes sense, given that it's far-and-away the most successful, but the thing is... when one mod makes it in, isn't it inherently kind of unfair that a select few others with communities that very likely outshine 64 & Brawl's get the cold shoulder?

I would love for Project M to be at this event, but at the same time, I feel like being exclusive with it is cherry-picking. If we let PM in, then we should let other mods get more attention than 64 & Brawl in, as well... but since that's never going to happen, I think it should be kept fair where only the official retail games are supported. That's just my take.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Well the thing is that none of the other mods have much of a tournament community in the first place. I don't see any actual Brawl- players here asking to be in, just people who play neither mod just using it as an excuse to drag PM down.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the PM salt is real. Chill guys. It's in August. Plenty of time to advocate for PM instead of just throwing a tantrum.
Hey man, it's 2015. Slacktivism is at large. The line between advocating and throwing tantrums is getting blurrier by the minute.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
"Boooohoooohooo, this thing I like isn't included in this thing for other things. Booohooohoooo."

Last edited:

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I need to learn WHERE and WHEN this is as soon as possible!

Keman

Smash Apprentice
That's just my take.
uh...... what? there is not a single other "mod" that even comes close to having the support of the community and the player base that PM does.

PM has a solid place in the community as its own stand alone game within the tournament scene. which not a single other mod does.
Please don't act like Brawl minus, SSF2 or whatever else you are talking about even has remotely the smash community that PM has.

I can understand PM not being there given VGBC's heavy involvement and the stance they have taken on it, but I hate when people compare it to these others games acting like they are in some way similar to the situation. There not.

Last edited:

Mr. Wang

Smash Cadet
NNID
beards101
Well this is a surprise, a con entirely devoted to Smash, I'm impressed, its about time too.

Yeah it'd be cool to have the Waluigi and Ridley mods playable, since they both have original movesets, add them both to project m and modded Brawl, and we can have ourselves a grand time.
And the Lucina mod would be cool

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'm suppose to be on hiatus but I want to say I am hype for this.

The PM community is real, and I'm sick and tired of hearing all the people in this thread ****ting on us just because we're not official. That's a stupid reason to justify telling us we don't matter and that we're not allowed to be worried about our community's future at this rate. This shouldn't be about some silly semantic arguments trying to say "oh a mod isn't a game" like that means anything at all. It should be about the players and the community, dammit.
If they said that, they shouldn't but that's not what they said.

Still PM could be there, but it's not going to be on the same level as the main games.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I don't mean to go offtopic here, but man SmashCon looks fun.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
uh...... what? there is not a single other "mod" that even comes close to having the support of the community and the player base that PM does. Please don't act like Brawl minus, SSF2 or whatever else you are talking about even has remotely the smash community that PM has.
Maybe if you'd actually read, you'd see that I never did this -- in fact, you'd see that I acknowledged that PM is by far the biggest Brawl mod in existence.

My ACTUAL point was that there are other mods with larger install bases than 64 & Brawl, yet PM players are only acting like it's an outrage that PM isn't at this event.

It's so fantastic that this site is filled with people who can actually take full comments into consideration before making bonehead accusations that have no merit whatsoever. /sarcasm

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
My ACTUAL point was that there are other mods with larger install bases than 64 & Brawl, yet PM players are only acting like it's an outrage that PM isn't at this event.
Do you have any numbers to back this up? And more importantly than just install base, I'd like to see actual tournament sizes, because that should be the relevant metric for the competitive scene here. Brawl- is fun to play casually, I love it too, but is anyone actually competing in it?

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
@ ◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ ◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

I still don't see why that's an issue. PM players were at major events last year, only to be shut out for what most believe to be Nintendo's involvement. That alone makes the situation totally different. Even then, I still don't get why you are frustrated with that. People are going to fight for what they care for. I honestly have never seen any other brawl mod at any tourney (I haven't searched for it). So maybe Brawl minus has the ability to have 100+ tourneys, they still havent had the widespread popularity either. Nobody hears about those mods.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Do you have any numbers to back this up? And more importantly than just install base, I'd like to see actual tournament sizes, because that should be the relevant metric for the competitive scene here. Brawl- is fun to play casually, I love it too, but is anyone actually competing in it?
Fair enough. I still think the reaction is far too strong, though. It's at the point where it almost feels like insecurity, as if this is spelling PM's doom, or something.

NintenNess

Smash Journeyman
Funny how this is what the thread should've been about, but it's instead a full blown argument about PM.
Well, I guess that the smash community went downhill, quickly. I thought it was going downhill slowly, but then the PM argument happened. I'm in nobody's side on this argument, but all I can is to stand around a not to pick a fight about this. :/

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It's at the point where it almost feels like insecurity, as if this is spelling PM's doom, or something.
Well yes, after seeing all these incidents that have gone down over the past few months, insecurity is exactly how I'd describe my feelings. I'm uncertain and worried about our scene's future. I'm a bit afraid even. Is this a trend that's going to continue? Are we just going to keep seeing more TOs and community figures ditch us one by one? What's going to happen to us?

I certainly hope PM isn't doomed, but just I don't know if I can say for sure that everything will be okay. It's beginning to seem like a very real possibility.

Top Bottom