• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con Announced!

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
Well yes, after seeing all these incidents that have gone down over the past few months, insecurity is exactly how I'd describe my feelings. I'm uncertain and worried about our scene's future. I'm a bit afraid even. Is this a trend that's going to continue? Are we just going to keep seeing more TOs and community figures ditch us one by one? What's going to happen to us?

I certainly hope PM isn't doomed, but just I don't know if I can say for sure that everything will be okay. It's beginning to seem like a very real possibility.
But it's only been two things: Nintendo & VGBC, both of which revolve around legal reasons (albeit in different ways). It's not like the entire foundation of PM has been shaken, or anything.

Remember, this upcoming event is being streamed by VGBC -- it was a given that PM wouldn't be there. The uproar is very surprising given the circumstances.

Edit: Basically, I'm saying relax. I understand the unease, as I feel it a bit myself, but there's no need to feel insecure.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Smash Con is an amazing idea, but WTF!!!!!!! Like what the actual f!!!!!???? No PM?????? That is so dumb :(

A whole bunch of us should bring our CTRs, Wiis, and SD cards and run our own PM tourney there. I def will try to get this started.

Last edited:

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
You're under the impression that PM has a reason to care about other Smash games. The idea of the Smash community as a whole is just silly. The PM community has plenty of reasons to not just ignore Smash 4 but outright hate it, as it's harmed the PM community despite how little it's done to earn it's popularity in relation to Melee and PM. People aren't going to support other Smash games at the expense of their own. In fact, they have plenty of reason to do the opposite.
The problem with actually involving Nintendo with PM is that they really don't want to acknowledge it. Officially endorsing it could establish a legal precedent that would be very bad for Nintendo as a company. Plus, forcing Nintendo to acknowledge PM could just lead to them shutting it down. They've actively tried to kill the Melee scene before, and while they're content to passive-aggressively harm the PM scene, if the issue is pushed to the point where they're forced to make a decision, they could very well shut it down. Although honestly, the most likely outcome is Nintendo simply ignoring the petition. Regardless, the odds of the petition backfiring are about as high as the odds of it working.

Uhh of course PM does, especially given their position. This is besides the fact as I stated earlier most PM players arent EXCLUSIVELY playing PM. Why would PM just hate on the rest of the community given the situation theyre in??? It benefits them greatly to have the entire Smash community behind them. I know the problem with Nintendo endorsing it; we all do. The point is Nintendo is going to start endorsing more and more things. Which means less and less tournies for P:M. Unless the whole community stands by this. I just dont get it; some P:M players want to hate on the rest of the community then request aid? Does that make any sense at all?!? I, for one, am more than willing to do what I can to get P:M alongside the rest of the series. However there comes a point where either we go to the source ( Nintendo) in some way shape or form, or we just let it be.

Thats basically what I am trying to say; people are acting as if VGBC itself can make Nintendo endorse P:M. People are quick to call people sell outs when they themselves who are so "passionate" about the issue havent even done a simple thing like petition Nintendo. Yet somehow, they expect GIMR to get Reg into a headlock until he submits. Its just very horrific logical progression.

" Im not gonna go because they dont have P:M"

" Screw this event."

" Im not gonna watch this."

Welp okay if thats what you wish go ahead while the rest of the Smash community enjoys themselves. Or you could you know, go to the event and make yourselves heard? Theres just so many things that are infinitely better than the complaining done in this thread that can aid the effort. Its mind numbing. The most hilarious part of this thread? The fact that majority of the people stating they arent attending the event to "teach" JuggleGuy and GIMR a lesson were probably not going in the first place.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The reason we don't have huge Brawl- events everywhere is because nobody acknowledges anything else as legit except PM because it's by far the most popular one. Having more than 1 mod running successful tournaments in the Smash scene is unheard of in a community that hate each other.
Either way none of mods should be played in big tournaments with money involved. As much as I love Brawl- (I have played since the very first version), I don't support adding it to tournaments. But if PM community feels entitled to get to events that include all SMASH GAMES (not smash mods), I think we shouldn't ignore every other mod/fangame out there but show as many of them and let people decide which ones they like more.
Unfortunately people still have a really crappy impression of Brawl-, that it's just casual scrubfest that shouldn't be taken seriously. This is obviously because the hypest moment for Brawl- was the first few version which were still experimenting with the idea. It was very unbalanced and a lot of the design choices were just horrible. They have been fixed a long time ago. The 3.Q version feels so polished now.
If the only experience people had with PM was the 1.0 everybody would think it's garbage too, it was the first release that still had a lot of glitches and the controlling felt like anything but Melee. Those were fixed too.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
So you're also going to blame B-'s lack of a scene on PM too? Sheesh, what don't you think is PM's fault?

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Well yes, after seeing all these incidents that have gone down over the past few months, insecurity is exactly how I'd describe my feelings. I'm uncertain and worried about our scene's future. I'm a bit afraid even. Is this a trend that's going to continue? Are we just going to keep seeing more TOs and community figures ditch us one by one? What's going to happen to us?

I certainly hope PM isn't doomed, but just I don't know if I can say for sure that everything will be okay. It's beginning to seem like a very real possibility.
If that ever happens, then it's up to us, the players of PM to keep it alive. Melee was a grass-root community at one point, and look at it now. With time, the same thing can happen to PM... You can help by making your own tournaments. Invite people from school or your friends, go attend other local PM tourneys if you hear about them. Post youtube videos, spread the word. Eventually, the hype and community will be too big to ignore.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Nintendo is not antagonistic to P:M; they're fine with non-profit media using their characters (which P:M is). And the only reason Project M wasn't at EVO is because Nintendo partnered with them to promote Smash 4, not because they want to kill P:M off. As @ J jayeldeee said;
In an interview with Prog, Nintendo claimed that they don't mind PM being out there, but they want nothing to do with it due to legal issues.
So Nintendo knows that P:M exists, but they don't want to adknowledge it in case they end up having to shut P:M down with a C&D just to protect their copyrights.

Nintendo's not an antagonist for P:M, copyright law is.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
STOP FIGHTING ABOUT PM FOR F***S SAKE PEOPLE!!

I'm getting so fed up of people saying that PM isn't a real game and shouldn't be part of the community, people saying SM4SH ruined the scene and isn't as good as a game, and people ****ting on Gimr and Nintendo for having LEGIT REASONS not to highlight the event.

I'm a PM and SM4SH player, and I'm feeling so disrespected by EVERYONE on all sides by comments like these. Yes I'm disappointed that PM isn't a highlight at Smash Con, but I was expecting it because that's the position PM has put itself in. That's the FACTS people, PM players need to accept that, move on and work around the limitations like everyone else had to do before nintendo's help. Plus it doesn't mean a side tournament can't be held there like they did at Apex.

Plus everyone else needs to stop trying to ostracize the PM players, I know the #oneunit thing has failed but THAT'S NO EXCUSE TO CONTINUE TO DISRESPECT EACH OTHER. Why is RESPECT something everyone forgets how to do despite various community leaders attempt to bring this to everyone's attention?

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that's what he's saying. i think what he's trying to say is that don't turn this thread into a PM argument. This has happened before in previous threads.
Well unfortunately this will be a pm argument because not only is pm kicked out of a tournament yet again, but worse, its is treated as though it doesnt exist, and people support this because its"just a mod".

ryanator008

Smash Cadet
Hmm, 2 hours away from me. I've never been to any tournaments before, so I don't know if I should go. And you PM guys shout quit complaining. Having PM would just get them an instant spot on Nintendo's ****list, and that could do a lot more harm than good. It may be for all the wrong reasons, but PM is pretty much dead.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
No tournament has ever gotten in trouble for having PM before. Please don't spread such ridiculously wrong FUD.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
What are people talking about with Sellouts or whatever with Smash 4 and Project M? Is there some incentive not to do PM tournaments or something or Nintendo not wanting it to happen or something? Or do some parts of the community just not like smash 4 as a whole?

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
What are people talking about with Sellouts or whatever with Smash 4 and Project M? Is there some incentive not to do PM tournaments or something or Nintendo not wanting it to happen or something? Or do some parts of the community just not like smash 4 as a whole?
The theory is, GIMR dropped Project M from Xanadu at Nintendo's suggestion/requirement for some mysterious deal. GIMR has publicly stated that the reason he dropped P:M from Xanadu was to protect their interests of growing the smash scene and they couldn't handle a copyright suit. People call it selling out because of the #FreeGIMR movement being mostly P:M people and for dropping it to get in bed with Nintendo.

Most of it is all guessing and conspiracy, but it, Apex, and now Smash Con all leave a bad taste in a lot of people's minds.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Great, we're holding conventions now? We really are a cancerous community.

ryanator008

Smash Cadet
No tournament has ever gotten in trouble for having PM before. Please don't spread such ridiculously wrong FUD.
What I'm saying is that everyone wants to be on good terms with Nintendo, and Project M would be a little risky for that. Sponsorships and stuff are a big deal. They already got involved with Apex, so it's probably the same here. (Plus, how is that FUD? It's not like I have an agenda here, aside from making people stop all their whining. I'm pretty indifferent to Project M.)

Last edited:

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Smash Con... Fantastic...
6-9 of August..? A few days away from my birthday... Bitchin'...
Not in England? Balls. :c
-Profound sadness-

Vashimus

Smash Master
All these PM crybabies...

Sometimes, it is what it is. Get over it. Either that, or confront Nintendo. Be rebellious. See what happens. But they have more power, and it's really not worth it when you can easily just keep grassroot PM tournaments. Create your own Apex level event for PM and have fun. No one is stopping you.
There have been at least four 100+ man PM events within the past month. Stop making it sound like we're sitting on our asses crying for things to happen, because it's far from the truth. We are working hard and we have every right to be annoyed when spit on.

Last edited:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
There have been at four 100+ man PM events within the past month. Stop making it sound like we're sitting on our ***** waiting for things to happen.
Didn't say you were. I'm suggesting you be complacent with what you have. You don't NEED PM to be at Smashcon and Apex and Evo. And frankly, even though I respect that people like different games than I do, and I don't hate their games, I'm tired of hearing that constant ******** and moaning, ******** and moaning that grows so loud and whiny that the original topic at hand, Smashcon, which should be a huge leap forward for competitive Smash in general, is instead lost in the said constant ******** and moaning.

And then there was my other point: get over it.

Vashimus

Smash Master
And then there was my other point: get over it.
Like I'm sure the Melee heads would "get over it" if it didn't make the EVO lineup.

Yes, it is what it is, but that doesn't mean people don't have a right to be displeased. Especially when you're having a Smash convention and including every other game -- including on-life-support Brawl -- and not PM.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Why should we be complacent with seeing so many of the biggest names in Smash suddenly **** on us? Why should we be complacent with learning that #OneUnit is nothing but a big fat lie? Why should we be complacent with people trying to kick us out of our community?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Like I'm sure the Melee heads would "get over it" if it didn't make the EVO lineup.

Yes, it is what it is, but that doesn't mean people don't have a right to be displeased. Especially when you're having a Smash convention and including every other game -- including on-life-support Brawl -- and not PM.
You have a right to feeling displeased. But you can't compare PM to the official titles. PM breaks IP laws, and it's not anywhere near the legendary status of Melee.

And like I said, YOU DO NOT NEED PM AT THESE EVENTS.

Nintendo has not come after PM in the way it could, much less even acknowledged it. It could be a lot worse.

Why should we be complacent with seeing so many of the biggest names in Smash suddenly **** on us? Why should we be complacent with learning that #OneUnit is nothing but a big fat lie? Why should we be complacent with people trying to kick us out of our community?
We're not kicking anyone out of the community. That's just how you feel it is. And PM breaks IP laws. You're all lucky Nintendo hasn't come down on PM as hard as it could.

As far as I'm concerned, you're all acting out, and not representing this #OneUnit nonsense. As a community, we are for Smash as a whole, not a single game or two games, but as a whole.

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
I can finally experience the smash community other than my friends. The hype is real. I'm just grateful this is happening in my state and less than an hour away from where I live. Hopefully I can last long for the Smash 4 tournament.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
As far as I'm concerned, you're all acting out, and not representing this #OneUnit nonsense. As a community, we are for Smash as a whole, not a single game or two games, but as a whole.
So does this whole no longer include us or what?

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
So you only like PM? You don't care at all about the other games? You don't care about Smash getting bigger?
Smash will get bigger anyway as time goes on, However How can people say smash is one unit when you forget to include a very popular fanmade mod. Pm is played by a LOT of people,people who just want to see more of our favorite game .

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
Really excited to hear that Super Smash Con is going to be a thing. This is really huge for the Smash community. If this succeeds, which I'm certain it would, perhaps it could allow the event to branch out to other sections in the nation for those who are unable to attend the first one such as myself. All in all, I'm very excited to see the news and I can't wait to see what Super Smash Con has to offer.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
So you only like PM? You don't care at all about the other games? You don't care about Smash getting bigger?
I never said I don't care about other games, don't put words in my mouth. What I'm saying is that I also care about being included, and the fact that the rest of the community is seemingly throwing us away now hurts a lot. We should be a part of this growth too, instead we're getting forcibly kicked out and of course I'm upset about that. Do you really not get why that's something people might not be happy about?

drewilliam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hollowords
I'm sure a lot of people have already said this. They're leaving out one of, if not the best Smash game: Project M! Not to mention one of the most popular! Who is this event for, the fans or the corporations? They need to stop sucking up to Nintendo and give the fans what they want!

Top Bottom