• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Con 2015

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
In that case it should be fine if they released an anonymous number for number of entrants? 64 community is super lazy when it comes to registering for events on time and since we're gathering our own list of people that signed up, we would know how urgently we have to be in reminding the lazy bums in this community to register.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
They feel the decision of whether to announce someones attendance shouldn't be made by the event it should be made by the individual through their own means.
shouldn't they be releasing the pools or the bracket at sometime tho? This reasoning for not releasing attendance seems really odd

Maliki

Smash Ace
Yo with 5000 dollar pot bonus Isai should really make an appearance that's more than you could ever win at an Apex.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Okay boys.... So recently I was having some money troubles and thinking I was gonna have to cancel all my travel plans this summer. But now it seems that is not the case. Can anyone explain to me when the sign up deadline is and exactly how much it will cost to enter the tourney for the weekend? Do I need "festival passes" and stuff too?

Also and MOST IMPORTANTLY can I throw somebody some beer money to sleep on the floor of their hotel room? Because that's a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Was about to register for smashcon and is it seriously $95 ****ing dollars if I want to play in the tournaments? And do I need to register for the weekend pass to get a tournament spot? There's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to be there Thursday through Sunday. Seems like a pretty sleezy way to get more money out of people.
Am I missing something here? I looked at the registration page and it says that the $75 venue/registration fee includes entrance for all 4 days of the convention. Then it's just $10 a tournament. There shouldn't be in hidden costs or anything as far as I can tell.

Morin0

Smash Lord
So my plan is to take out a loan to attend Smash Con, win Smash Con, pay back the loan, and then use the remaining Smash Con winnings to fund my trip to Kanto.

jk, I am going to try to save up a bnch of money and see if I can come up with enough money to attend

Last edited:

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
Alright honestly I ****ing hate gamer gate and all of this sexist bull****. I'm just done. **** this stupid community. Not worth it to me anymore, I'm gonna move on with my life. Goodbye.

Last edited:

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
Alright honestly I ****ing hate gamer gate and all of this sexist bull****. I'm just done. **** this stupid community. Not worth it to me anymore, I'm gonna move on with my life. Goodbye.
I've conditioned myself to not take any post with "gamer gate" in it seriously and ever sense, my life had only seen improvement.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
Idk what gamer gate is, but I was hoping someone that has already made arrangements to go to this could give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to go to this event. Like what are the hotel rates in that area? Also is there any community housing or something along those lines? A few GA smashers are apparently poor, probably Obamas fault.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Idk what gamer gate is, but I was hoping someone that has already made arrangements to go to this could give me a rough estimate of what it would cost to go to this event. Like what are the hotel rates in that area? Also is there any community housing or something along those lines? A few GA smashers are apparently poor, probably Obamas fault.
i just booked a round trip flight for 200$. as far as housing i already booked a room for 3 nights at $100 a night and plan on having 3 others in my room who can stay for 20$/night. i just dont know who yet. Pretty sure @Annex will be one of them tho

murgatroidsp

Smash Rookie
He's not really talking about the discrimination itself, he's talking about how people respond to claims of discrimination. Have you not seen anything about GamerGate? Basically whenever anyone (Anita Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, any female Smash player) mentions instances of online harassment/sexual harassment/sexism/etc in video game communities, people go to great lengths to discredit the sources ostensibly in the interest of "journalistic integrity" rather than admit there are actually issues that need to be confronted.

I believe the straw that broke the camel's back in Athen's case was a Reddit thread where the mention of a female Melee streamer led to a series of defensive, sexist comments directed at people who have spoken out, including someone calling Brianna Wu a "monster" for being a trans woman.

@ Kirbstomper Kirbstomper Flying is probably your best option for travel. I would consider the possibility of flying into BWI and then taking the MARC train to DC if you're trying to save some money. I think Spirit Airlines (one of the cheapest airlines along with Frontier) flies into BWI but not any of the DC airports. The MARC train has a stop at BWI and only costs like $7 to get to DC. If you want to be really cheap and don't mind being uncomfortable for an entire day, you could probably do Atlanta-DC round trip for sub-$100 using the Megabus.

I don't know about hotels, but I honestly stayed in a hostel at one point when I was looking for housing in DC. It's not ideal, but if people are just looking for a cheap place to spend the night, it's not bad (around $25 a night).

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I believe the straw that broke the camel's back in Athen's case was a Reddit thread where the mention of a female Melee streamer led to a series of defensive, sexist comments directed at people who have spoken out, including someone calling Brianna Wu a "monster" for being a trans woman.
Then he should have directed his rage over at the melee people over in r/smashbros in that thread. Instead, he blamed everyone else, including the 64 community, and then randomly exploded against an admin in r/ssb64 by constantly insulting him and telling him that he and everyone else in the community should "die and burn in hell".

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
lol wtf at the gamer gate stuff where did that come from

yea gamergate supporters are ****ing ******** theres no question about that but ssb64 has been the least discriminatory smash community of all of them

ѕupa

Smash Rookie
really want to go to this, i ask the same thing about housing

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
i highly suggest that people do as i do and take the initiative to book a room at the venue and split the cost with other players. If you use the code provided by the supersmashcon website you can cancel the room up to 24 hours before your reservation with 0 cost to you so the risk is minimal if your plans fall thru or you cant get enough players to room with you (which seems unlikely)

Maliki

Smash Ace
Now. Register now. Why wait until a possible deadline, why not just do it asap?
Because I can't drive myself and need to confirm a whole bunch of stuff with Kero before registering like with every other tournament.

K-Phat

Smash Rookie
Because I can't drive myself and need to confirm a whole bunch of stuff with Kero before registering like with every other tournament.
July 14th venue fee goes into emergency mode (up another $10). Registration fully closes for tourney entry on July 21st. Teammate matching closes on July 24th.

As per this tweet

Thanks,
K-Phat

Top Bottom