• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers League: Season 2 (1st: Killer, 2nd: LD, 3rd: A$/Battlecow)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
CONGRATULATIONS Killer on winning the second season of the SSBL, and doing so in dominating fashion!

Congratulations to LD as well on second place, defeating A$ not once, not twice, but three times this season! Not many players out there could pull that off.

Special thanks to Fireblaster, Greginator, Killer and Battlecow for not forfeiting a single game and staying in to the very end. That's not easy to do over a 2 month period, and I appreciate the effort.

Big thanks to Fays as well for sticking with it even though the delay was extremely frustrating for him to the point where he wanted to drop out.

Thanks to all who participated for playing nearly 82% of all games. I know sometimes peoples busy schedules get in the way of these games happening, but I think overall we did a very good job of getting games played. Not to mention not a single forfeit in the playoffs. Bravo, guys! I hope everyone who participated had a lot of fun. Maybe I can host a smaller version of this league in the fall or winter if there is enough interest (like 8 players maybe).

Future notes/questions for the league:

-How to deal with dropouts? Honestly I can't think of a good way, if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Shoot me a PM or post here with any thoughts.

-I've been thinking it might be better to give people 7 weeks to play 14 games, rather than 1 week to play 2 games 7 times. It would give players more flexibility. My only worry is that people would not play their games until the very end and we'd get lots of forfeits. Or the more judicious players would play all of there games in the first 2-3 weeks and then would sit idle for 4 weeks waiting for the slowpokes. I like the idea of everyone staying around the same page in terms of number of games played as well. However, getting games played and not forfeited is the number one priority. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

-To anyone hosting any online events, my experience from both seasons of the SSBL are that hard deadlines are the way to go. If you give people hard deadlines, they will probably play their games on time. And if they don't, well they shouldn't be participating in online events and you can remember that for the future.

-How was the league length? Too long? Too short (lol)? I also got a few complaints about set length in the regular season being too short, but I did that because I think people are more likely to play bo3 than bo5 and I wanted to limit forfeits. Plus we were going bo3 in our tournies now mostly so I figured it'd be okay.

-Any other feedback on anything league related is welcomed.

Again, thanks to everyone for playing, and hopefully SSBL 3 will come sooner rather than later!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
This was a lot of fun, maybe base the next divisions on this tournament (so that there aren't 3 people advancing from 1 and 1 from the other.
Like ASD South was well a bit weaker while ASC North was a bit too strong

Or you could combine it into 2 large divisons and have top 6 or something advance and 2 widcards

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea the divisions were initially seeded based on elo, but then people dropped out and people like killer/sheer/fireblaster/star king replace people at different times which definitely skewed everything. I think fixing the replacement problem would fix uneven divisions automatically since the initial seeding should be relatively even.

8 people divisions makes the whole play everyone in your division twice thing pretty unfeasible. But I could try a different league format for sure. Any other sports leagues that people want to this emulate besides the NFL?

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
I think having matches to play each week instead of giving someone
-I've been thinking it might be better to give people 7 weeks to play 14 games, rather than 1 week to play 2 games 7 times.
Definitely think having one week to play 2 games is a more fun format. Keeps it interesting.

The replacements obviously skewed the seeding this year, but I feel like that will be less of a problem in the future if you only accept people into the league that you know won't forfeit.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
The replacements obviously skewed the seeding this year, but I feel like that will be less of a problem in the future if you only accept people into the league that you know won't forfeit.
That list is about 6 people long though :(

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Heh true. I feel like a lot of the people who came in late were pretty reliable though. Hopefully this season generated enough interest that a good number of legit people will sign up for the next one and the forfeit rate goes down.

Top Bottom